Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#1 Edited by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

Does anybody else have this? I hate it I wish I didn't have it. I don't know if this would be considered a mental illness because it sure does make me feel mental at times but also super depressed. I have really strong nostalgia for certain things in my life from gaming to wrestling, music and movies. I think in the whole wide world I miss the 90's more than anyone to the point where I watch old 90's commercial's and watch old MTV clips from that era. I also miss the early 2000's to mid 2000's when it comes to gaming games like F.E.A.R., BF2, RE4, Max Payne games and GTA vice and SA. I also miss so much going to the arcades and playing Mortal Kombat 2 back in 94. But anyways this topic isn't about gaming does anyone else suffer from painful nostalgia? I wish it would go away.

#2 Posted by liquiddragon (2739 posts) -

Yeah, I've known to be painfully nostalgic about things. I don't think I'll like a thing as much as I like some things in the past but I try my best to be present 'cause eventually I know I'll be nostalgic about some of the things I like now.

#3 Posted by Pezen (2296 posts) -

The older I get the more vivid it seems my recollection of certain aspects of my childhood and teens become. I think it's a sort of unintentional glorification of a time in ones life when things were easier in some ways, less responsibilities and more adventures. I can get moments when I miss the times without cellphones and instant messages. But I am realizing a lot of that stems from how my perception of time has changed because of our current faster communication climate. I do have nostalgia that's painful for certain bands and albums but that pain isn't so much me missing that time as it is a reminder of how I felt at the time.

I also think a big reason I sometimes miss the past is because I have a better grasp of the world today than I did back then. Global issues weren't a big deal to me as I rarely if ever paid it any attention. These days the acts of world leaders are things I take note of because it may actually affect my life in some way eventually. When your vision of the world is small it is easier to not see the world outside of your walls and how they may eventually flood your city. That was maybe a bit too poetic for what I intended, but it's sort of how I view it.

I completely understand where you're coming from though. But I also think, for me, a lot of my childhood and teenage years was so fraught with despair and hardship (bullying, self-loathing, etc.) that I don't really miss it as an adult. I can miss aspects of the era, but realistically I don't want to go back.

#4 Posted by n00bs7ay3r (279 posts) -

This sounds like normal nostalgia to me. Nothing unique to you. Most people experience it.

#5 Edited by uhtaree (906 posts) -

I have at times. It usually happens a few years after a good year in my life but is slowing down a lot in my mid-30s. Like I remember in 2002 being painfully nostalgic for 1998 or so, like if I heard that Aaliyah song "Are you that somebody" I'd be transported back to the fall of '98 and be consumed by what it was like for me then. I snap back to reality quicker now though. Lately I've been a little nostalgic for like 2002-2007 which might end up being the cutoff for any nostalgia for me. So I'll try to create a Pandora station that plays stuff I like back then and that's about all I can do. When I smell a skunk in the night air during the summer it transports me back to 2002 when I ran over a dead skunk in my first car and it stuck in the car for like a month.

Avatar image for pancakepatriarchate
#7 Posted by PancakePatriarchate (101 posts) -

Similar to n00bs I think you're experiencing actual nostalgia in that there's an emotional / psychological response to wanting to return to something you can't. The word gets thrown around way way too much, like, "Hey, remember SWAT KATS? Nostalgia!!" < That's not really nostalgia unless you have a deep longing to return to a time when you watched SWAT KATS and it's probably associated with a lot of other feelings. No, what I described is more "Ah yeah SWAT KATS was rad."

#8 Posted by OurSin_360 (6065 posts) -

Im the opposite, i feel like most times i have little to no nostalgia for much of anything. As far as gaming i was always looking toward the future, which is probably why i dont care for Nintendo stuff all that much.

#9 Posted by RosesAreDan (86 posts) -

Nostalgia is hard to avoid, but if you're getting it that bad then maybe it's a symptom of something worse? Would you say you enjoy anything nowadays? I know I get nostalgia for almost every year that passes, and I can usually snap myself out of it when I realize I'm getting nostalgia for a year that was terrible at the time.

#10 Edited by matoya (775 posts) -

My entire life is crippled by my desire to go back to when I was 18 and all the possibilities were open to me. I'd just started university, I had friends, and a future.

Now I'm just depressed as fuck, and my medication isn't working as well anymore. I wish I could go back

#11 Edited by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

Yeah, I've known to be painfully nostalgic about things. I don't think I'll like a thing as much as I like some things in the past but I try my best to be present 'cause eventually I know I'll be nostalgic about some of the things I like now.

That is a good way to look at it and that is true I'm starting to get nostalgia for games from five years ago so I know I'll probably feel that way the future for somethings now.

@pezen said:

The older I get the more vivid it seems my recollection of certain aspects of my childhood and teens become. I think it's a sort of unintentional glorification of a time in ones life when things were easier in some ways, less responsibilities and more adventures. I can get moments when I miss the times without cellphones and instant messages. But I am realizing a lot of that stems from how my perception of time has changed because of our current faster communication climate. I do have nostalgia that's painful for certain bands and albums but that pain isn't so much me missing that time as it is a reminder of how I felt at the time.

I also think a big reason I sometimes miss the past is because I have a better grasp of the world today than I did back then. Global issues weren't a big deal to me as I rarely if ever paid it any attention. These days the acts of world leaders are things I take note of because it may actually affect my life in some way eventually. When your vision of the world is small it is easier to not see the world outside of your walls and how they may eventually flood your city. That was maybe a bit too poetic for what I intended, but it's sort of how I view it.

I completely understand where you're coming from though. But I also think, for me, a lot of my childhood and teenage years was so fraught with despair and hardship (bullying, self-loathing, etc.) that I don't really miss it as an adult. I can miss aspects of the era, but realistically I don't want to go back.

Yeah, I feel ya part of me wishes I never got into politics it just makes me see how dirty and corrupted it has on my world view it was alot easier when I was young and didn't care. Yeah my teenage years where not that great neither alot of fighting and craziness music and gaming really got me through it. For me personally I would go back to 99 only if I knew what I know now and I had my old body back when I didn't have any health issues.

@uhtaree said:

I have at times. It usually happens a few years after a good year in my life but is slowing down a lot in my mid-30s. Like I remember in 2002 being painfully nostalgic for 1998 or so, like if I heard that Aaliyah song "Are you that somebody" I'd be transported back to the fall of '98 and be consumed by what it was like for me then. I snap back to reality quicker now though. Lately I've been a little nostalgic for like 2002-2007 which might end up being the cutoff for any nostalgia for me. So I'll try to create a Pandora station that plays stuff I like back then and that's about all I can do. When I smell a skunk in the night air during the summer it transports me back to 2002 when I ran over a dead skunk in my first car and it stuck in the car for like a month.

Yeah, I get nostalgic for 1998 too I lost alot of weight that year and felt great about myself but it was hellish to get there I basically starved myself but it was the biggest accomplishment in life I also remember 1998 playing RE2 and watching the movie half baked.

Im the opposite, i feel like most times i have little to no nostalgia for much of anything. As far as gaming i was always looking toward the future, which is probably why i dont care for Nintendo stuff all that much.

See I wish I was like this I don't have nostalgia for Nintendo neither and I played alot of it growing up but it's the music and the arcade's that I miss the most from the 90's.

Nostalgia is hard to avoid, but if you're getting it that bad then maybe it's a symptom of something worse? Would you say you enjoy anything nowadays? I know I get nostalgia for almost every year that passes, and I can usually snap myself out of it when I realize I'm getting nostalgia for a year that was terrible at the time.

I do have clinical depression since I was teenager so I'm sure it's a contributing factor for sure. I do enjoy things these days but it feels more and more like escapism then actually enjoyment most of the time.

@matoya said:

My entire life is crippled by my desire to go back to when I was 18 and all the possibilities were open to me. I'd just started university, I had friends, and a future.

Now I'm just depressed as fuck, and my medication isn't working as well anymore. I wish I could go back

Sorry to hear that I understand completely I would do anything to go back and fix my problems but I know I can't and that hurts the most I hope you feel better.

#12 Posted by stryker1121 (2159 posts) -

I certainly have experienced this, and I think most people do. If I may ask- do you think you may be suffering from depression? I had a very rough patch the last few years that I'm just starting to emerge from - much of that depressive period was spent thinking about the cultural touchstones from my childhood and how I wish i could go back to that carefree time.

If you're feeling similar "pain," it might not hurt to talk to someone about it.

#13 Posted by Corwag (427 posts) -

Not surprising. We live in a world now fueled by nostalgia. The internet won't let us forget anything. Jeff or somebody on the staff pretty much nailed it when they called this generation "Generation Remix".

#14 Posted by ShaggE (8921 posts) -

I get it a lot, but I've embraced it and made it a hobby of sorts (collecting, curating, etc.). Takes some of the melancholy aspects out and makes it more fun.

#15 Posted by MostlySquares (267 posts) -

Being an adult sucks about as much as I had expected. Nostalgia reminds me of this.. It's like looking at old pictures of yourself, or "going back home". You just get hit with memories and then, shazam, sadness. Good memories remind you of how awesome things used to be and now rarely are. Bad memories remind you of how bad shit was and still is.

Escapism is the key.

#16 Posted by avantegardener (2264 posts) -

Totally, perfectly normal to pang for your youth. Dates on forum posts or articles, old box art, the smell of manual occasionally trigger me :)

#17 Edited by ToTheNines (1654 posts) -

I miss the feeling of wonder when I was a child/young teenager. Video games often felt semi magical to me. Yet I definitely don't want to go back, 2017 is too awesome technology wise.

#18 Posted by Cheetoman (506 posts) -

I'm not painfully nostalgic but I do the same thing you do. Watching old commercials and T.V. shows from the 90's is super fun and relaxing to me. Feels like going back to a simpler time. Pretty much everything before 2002 is much more interesting to me.

#19 Posted by Rabidlamb (57 posts) -

I think this feeling is perfectly captured in this scene from Mad Men where he describes how nostalgia in Greek means the "pain from an old wound". Still one of the best scenes of any TV show.

Loading Video...

#20 Edited by Slag (8000 posts) -

I don't really feel that way about games But when I do get feelings about modern stuff not being as good etc. I just take a break from games for a while.

I dunno man, I suspect your feelings might be a manifestation of other things. I know when things are bad for me (and they have been very bad for me for years until recently) and I get in a spiral I tend to have thoughts like that about the past. And anything from those days seems painfully perfect compared to what I have now. The only thing that really cures is it is finding a way to be happy. So whatever is getting you down in general is the thing to attack, whether that's personal circumstances or medical.

#21 Posted by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

@corwag said:

Not surprising. We live in a world now fueled by nostalgia. The internet won't let us forget anything. Jeff or somebody on the staff pretty much nailed it when they called this generation "Generation Remix".

Yep, the internet feeds my nostalgia I often go to the wayback machine and look at old movie websites from the 90's I really wish time travel was real I be gone in a heartbeat.

@shagge said:

I get it a lot, but I've embraced it and made it a hobby of sorts (collecting, curating, etc.). Takes some of the melancholy aspects out and makes it more fun.

Yea sometimes it feel good getting lost in a memory but coming back to the present is the worst for me.

Being an adult sucks about as much as I had expected. Nostalgia reminds me of this.. It's like looking at old pictures of yourself, or "going back home". You just get hit with memories and then, shazam, sadness. Good memories remind you of how awesome things used to be and now rarely are. Bad memories remind you of how bad shit was and still is.

Escapism is the key.

It sure is that's one of the reasons why I love VR so much.

Totally, perfectly normal to pang for your youth. Dates on forum posts or articles, old box art, the smell of manual occasionally trigger me :)

Yesterday I was thinking about my old graphics card box from 06 wondering if I still had it but couldn't find it had alot of great memories using that card on Battlefield 2 back in the day.

I miss the feeling of wonder when I was a child/young teenager. Video games often felt semi magical to me. Yet I definitely don't want to go back, 2017 is too awesome technology wise.

I agree tech is amazing right now I never imagine games could look this good growing up but I still miss the arcade scene.

I'm not painfully nostalgic but I do the same thing you do. Watching old commercials and T.V. shows from the 90's is super fun and relaxing to me. Feels like going back to a simpler time. Pretty much everything before 2002 is much more interesting to me.

Yeah, the 90's felt like easier time music was great people weren't looking down at there cellphones and the internet was new and interesting even though the speed sucked back then

I think this feeling is perfectly captured in this scene from Mad Men where he describes how nostalgia in Greek means the "pain from an old wound". Still one of the best scenes of any TV show.

Loading Video...

Great clip I definitely get that aching feeling they are talk about it's that painful part of severe Nostalgia.

@slag said:

I don't really feel that way about games But when I do get feelings about modern stuff not being as good etc. I just take a break from games for a while.

I dunno man, I suspect your feelings might be a manifestation of other things. I know when things are bad for me (and they have been very bad for me for years until recently) and I get in a spiral I tend to have thoughts like that about the past. And anything from those days seems painfully perfect compared to what I have now. The only thing that really cures is it is finding a way to be happy. So whatever is getting you down in general is the thing to attack, whether that's personal circumstances or medical.

Yea I hope someday I can find happiness right now it feels impossible.

#22 Edited by BoboBones (176 posts) -

TLDR: Video Games are rad. Both new and old games can hold many emotions, and for some reason my favorites from the 90s make me sick to my stomach in a way I don't understand.

There are a lot of emotions tied up in games for me. My mom would walk me to my Grandmother's place when I was 3 and we would play PAC Man, all 3 Mario titles, R.C. Pro Am, etc. Her and my parents helped get me a SNES when I was older and my parents moved.

Being new to an area, games became about escaping isolation, then they became a way that I could connect and make friends with all the other kids. Pokémon, Blitz, Madden, Tony Hawk, Goldeneye, Smash Bros.

Then around 2005ish, DSL finally came to our area, and I started playing online. Battlefield 2 was my jam. My PC struggled to run it, but playing competitive games online was the craziest thing to me. When the 360 released all I did was play online multiplayer. Even when friends would hang out, we would just take turns swapping out after every death in Gears, or G.R.A.W, or every race in Burnout Revenge. As the 360 cycle progressed, I began having a hard time making friends with random people I would encounter. Early on, I could make friends with anyone. Even the asshats were friendly enough. About six months after CoD4 Modern Warfare, Xbox Live just felt like it was become increasingly toxic, and I noticed more and more people playing without a mic. In the early years, it was strange to see someone without a mic, but I soon had to do the same. I haven't used a mic in an online game (minus party chat) in almost 10 years. It's sad because I made some absolutely incredible friends just chatting in random matches.

Stuff like caring about Gamerscore and achievements came and went, and I almost gave up gaming, but then Dead Space, Red Dead Redemtion and Dark Souls became exactly what I was looking for out of games at that time.

When I go back to Super Mario World, and A Link to The Past (My top 2 of all time) I feel a strange sense of nausea. The exact same kind I get when I would read a book in a moving car. I have always had this when returning to any of my favorite games from the 90s. Which is strange, because I'll enjoy the games greatly, but my stomach will just feel off.

Games and music have brought me deep connections to others, and have helped me cope through multiple chronic diseases.

It's hard not to be cynical about the state games right now in a lot of ways, but even in a time of season passes, day one dlc, loot boxes, excessive amounts of early access, and major releases launching straight up broken, I still find more interesting and quality indie, and AAA games then I can chew through.

I never thought I would get the same giddy feeling I did when I first booted up A Link to The Past and looked at the in game map, but I had the exact same response when I booted up GTA V the first time.

There are many different times I wish I could go back and experience again, but I've come to the realization that just as in life, I'll always want to drop another quarter, hit the continue button, and just move forward.

#23 Posted by huntad (2406 posts) -

I wouldn't call it painful nostalgia, but I get really angry when I see business practices, for console games, sink lower and lower into depravity and desperation. Every new shitty practice, like the Shadow of War lootbox situation causes me to look back and be thankful that I was able to play games when I was not enticed to keep spending money on a game I had already purchased for $60. I also miss demos and demo disks.

It isn't painful though, because I know there have been advancements in tech for video games that makes them more convenient now. Digital downloadable games are great, and I don't have to stand in front of a huge bookcase full of games trying to decide what to play. Now I can sit down and do that!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#24 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2620 posts) -

I get nostalgic for stuff all the time, but I would only call it painful when I'm not happy with my current life. If I've had a bad year, and I'm in a downer mood in the middle of the night, then I absolutely feel a longing for the times when I was happy. Nostalgia is like a cozy blanket that developers of all sorts are happy to sell you again 20 years after the fact, like the recent Sonic game, and it's not something I mind.

#25 Edited by avantegardener (2264 posts) -

As a man (the only experience I can speak to) your late 20s to late 30s is a tumultuous period of growth, responsibility, and understanding about yourself it's kind of no wonder we seek salve of what we perceive to be a simpler time.

I think if anything you can take some comfort from the surprising similarities of the human experience. We all feel at times so intensely we are experiencing something so unique to us, but take solace in the fact that you probably weren't the 1st to feel that way, and you certainly won't be the last the last.

We are all star dust baby.

#26 Posted by MajorMitch (1109 posts) -

Disclaimer: I don't have clinical depression, so take all this with a grain of salt if it sounds like I'm talking out of my ass.

I've felt this before to some degree, the last time probably early last year. I feel like often times it comes when I have a lot of uncertainty in my life, and I end up longing for simpler times. At the same time, it often spurs me to try and address what feels lacking. The results have been... mixed over the years. Still working on it. But the drive to make your life better can never hurt in the long run. I'd suggest to try and find what's missing, what could make your life more rewarding, and then try incorporate it into your life. Then you can start looking towards a happier future instead of wishing for your happier past that you can't have back.

Regarding games there have been times where I played them as a distraction more than genuinely enjoying them. Don't get me wrong, I still love games, but not every second of every day. There's a difference.

Also, as others suggested, it can help to talk to someone. If you don't have the right friend or family network for support, consider counseling. I've started going to counseling in the past year, it can help. I'm guessing (and hoping) you are getting support already if you're depressed. Godspeed.

#27 Edited by Slag (8000 posts) -

@jec03 said:
@slag said:

Yea I hope someday I can find happiness right now it feels impossible.

Good luck man, pulling for you. It's hard and sometimes it takes a lot longer to find than what feels fair, but it can be done. I know you can find it.

#28 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

I think @slag 's post was pretty right on with what I would say to you. @majormitch as well.

For me, I appreciate the hell out of this stuff but it is in the past. I personally just think about all the weird and special factors that made that time great and I do appreciate it for what it is. If you look into the development of games in the 90's for example some just really magically came together, by luck and just the passion of a few people and aspects they worked on gelling (Fallout is a huge example).

I personally really tire of even talk I see these days of "does X or Y hold up?" as a discussion because I find it pointless and shallow. Usually things like pacing are different, so what? That said, I don't go back with games as often, so it is pretty a forward moving thing for even me, who really appreciates the history.

Anyways, to the stuff Slag was talking about, trust me I can understand the issues and looking for happiness. Thinking backwards though I find is just never a good way to go, for your own mental well being.

There is a lot to it though that is real, that's a crazy part to even think of. For example, while I do enjoy the internet, I personally can definitely prefer a world without some aspects of it, like phones all the time 24/7. No doubt it comes in so handy but it has changed a lot of things. Games are no different. Back then, games could come along and be much different from what you had seen, and you could see really huge leaps in a few years times (from 2D to 3D for example). There are just so many games in general now too. Not sure if any of that contributes but it is interesting to think about. We get older just like things change though so who can even say.

#29 Edited by Goboard (284 posts) -

Around a year ago Dan tweeted out a video of a recording of Nickelodeon shows with the commercials and watching that hit me hard in the way that people usually talk about nostalgia. I ended up watching the whole video which was a few hours long and after I was done I kinda felt better, however the feeling itself was brought about by the video so it didn't come out of nowhere. Although some of what you mention, specifically about going to the arcade, sounds like something a bit different that I also went through early this year.

It happened when I watched an early 2000's documentary called No Maps For These Territories about the writer William Gibson and at the end there's a short section where Bono (yup, Bono from U2) reads a piece of writing called "Memory Palace" that Gibson wrote and playing over it is a piece of music by Daniel Lanois. By the end of watching it I had feeling of loss, longing, and emptiness for something I couldn't place and that I'd never experienced before. It was completely intangible except for the feeling, which left me really confused and distressed. To try and deal with it I did a bit of research into the music and specifically the piece of writing. I ended up learning that it was part of a performance art piece Gibson and the performance art group La Fura dels Baus had worked on in the 90's that no longer exists in any form. Gibson himself doesn't even have a copy of the text which was much longer than the part read in the documentary. In a strange way I found myself looking for something that no longer exists to understand a feeling about something that I felt was missing. Through all that I had also looked into nostalgia, as that's the closest feeling to what I had felt, and came upon the Portuguese word saudade which is the best word I've found for defining the feeling.

Like "Memory Palace", arcades are a thing that just barely exist but the experience of being at one now probably doesn't come close to embodying what it was like for you then. I will say that by trying to dig deep and understand the feeling instead of just falling into it I was able to at least gain a perspective of it, which helped me to deal with the feeling. You might try doing the same thing I did to work through it so it doesn't hang over you and be as hard to deal with when it happens. The videos below are the portion of the documentary that I mentioned and the music in case anyone was interested.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3542 posts) -

@corwag said:

Every generation is Generation Remix.

#31 Posted by TobbRobb (6430 posts) -

I have a bit of nostalgia for simpler times. Ignorance really is kind of bliss to some extent, but once you breach a certain level of knowledge there is no longer any going back to that... With the internet we are all past that barrier. I love learning new stuff and I have an urge to find out more and more about things I'm passionate about. But sometimes I wish I could just enjoy things at face value like I did as a kid. :(

#32 Edited by mekon (486 posts) -
@jonny_anonymous said:
@corwag said:

Yes but not as "Fast and .. Furious" (ahem) as it is nowadays. The internet has made sure of that, when (if) North Korea residents start using it properly I wonder what will happen (edit: from a cultural perspective, leaving the whole (US+ROW) vs NK tension aside)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3542 posts) -

@mekon said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@corwag said:

Yes but not as "Fast and .. Furious" (ahem) as it is nowadays. The internet has made sure of that, when (if) North Korea residents start using it properly I wonder what will happen (edit: from a cultural perspective, leaving the whole (US+ROW) vs NK tension aside)

I kind of disagree. The biggest difference is things move a lot faster these days. In the past, the cultural trends lasted a lot longer. The 80's, for instance, didn't really end until about 1994.

#34 Edited by mekon (486 posts) -
@jonny_anonymous said:
@mekon said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@corwag said:

I kind of disagree. The biggest difference is things move a lot faster these days. In the past, the cultural trends lasted a lot longer. The 80's, for instance, didn't really end until about 1994.

I did say I thought things are moving faster. There are fads with regard to entertainment, but the internet makes any history about film, printed media etc easier to find and digest for someone who's interested in the subject at any time they feel like it. I think I went to a good school, but in a very short amount of time I've learnt so much more about WW1 and WW2 after playing games, and learning more about the themes of Bioshock that I would never have been taught in school, simply because the web didn't exist. If someone wants to throw an 80s themed party, nowadays they can spend 30 minutes on the internet, get a costume and a playlist. I'm not bitter about that :)

Edit: I want to add my contribution to the theme of this topic, if I could have my time back it would be any time between 1990 and 1996 when all things seemed possible (as someone else said). Yes there were ups and downs at university, but I met a lot of people from different backgrounds. I wouldn't tell my past self to miss that opportunity.

#35 Posted by giliad (72 posts) -

Only for music - and not the kinda way you'd expect

#36 Posted by Marokai (3691 posts) -

Whenever I see a bit of X-Play I do feel a more pained form of nostalgia, pretty much exclusively because I loved that show and it feels like all those episodes are completely lost. I would give so much to have an archive of all those episodes. Nostalgia isn't something I'm typically prone to because, if I'm feeling nostalgic for, like, Suikoden or something I can always just go back and re-play it, but it's totally different when the object of that desire has disappeared.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#37 Posted by SloppyDetective (1425 posts) -

Sometimes I feel that way about certain periods of my life. But it has little to do with the media I was consuming at the time. More to do with the friends and freedom of responsibility. Wishing I would have made the most of those times, even though I enjoyed them quite a bit.