Great job Patrick!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@tubaker said:

This was weirdly underproduced for a Tedx talk, but scoops did great. Good for him.

Well, it doesn't need to be if it gets the point across, and he did well in that.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Patrick did a great job. He was killing it the entire time, but oh boy, that chat was absolutely deplorable. I don't usually get upset at random internet comments, but around the time he was talking about his father's passing, there were so many horrible things said. It legitimately made me upset.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By bigjeffrey

great job scoops

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow, I was really impressed. Patrick paced himself real well, was very engaging, and made strong and compelling points. Especially impressive given that this is his first public speaking event (although Giant Bomb videos have probably trained him well for giving a monologue to an audience). Kudos.

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By GeneralZod37

@bane122: He really did! It was so great to see.

Also, TED talks can and are about pretty much anything. Hell, there is a TED "talk" about how to properly tie your shoes. There have been plenty of examples of people being on a TED stage telling the story of their lives in a way to bring up a point that they are trying to make. Some are better at making that point than others.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I guess it's good I hid the chat.

@patrickklepek You nailed it, son! Good job! Go home and drink a beer in victory.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick did a great job. He was killing it the entire time, but oh boy, that chat was absolutely deplorable. I don't usually get upset at random internet comments, but around the time he was talking about his father's passing, there were so many horrible things said. It legitimately made me upset.

Yeah. The "You Should Have Died Instead Of Ryan" garbage made me a little stabby.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go Scoops!

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Bane122

@themanwithnoplan said:

Yeah. The "You Should Have Died Instead Of Ryan" garbage made me a little stabby.

What the actual fuck?! Wow... REAL glad I went full screen for his talk.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Aska

Yea I thought he did really well, he's a natural on stage I think.

Seriously though that chat, man, I knew it'd probably be bad but it was really awful pretty much the whole time.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By planetfunksquad

@themanwithnoplan said:

The fact that these people think Ryan wouldn't hate their fucking guts for saying that it the worst part.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#164  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Patrick did a great job, and it was kinda crazy to see the chat reinforcing everything he was talking about. Damn disgusting stuff from some of those chatters.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that none of those people in the chat are members of Giant Bomb. Reading that stuff made me mad and sad at the same time. But that isn't the important thing. Patrick delivered his speech incredibly well. All that time on camera here really played off. Good job Scoops!

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#166  Edited By Mento  Moderator

I didn't think Patrick's talk would do a whole lot until I saw the number of defensive 13 year olds in the chat trying to disabuse him from ruining their fun. I'm not one for social campaigning in video game circles (more because I lack the sensitivity to handle the subject with the requisite kid gloves, rather than hating everyone different like a sociopath) but big kudos to Tricky for getting a rise out of those people. Probably means he hit a nerve.

Next year: a TED talk on getting some warning labels on the Oculus Rift. Friends don't let friends play Kraken alone.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After seeing those comments i just popped out the player. That chat was disgusting.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#168  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@jerseyscum said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

Let's all learn from Patrick's Ted Talk today and not get bitter over those chat messages as these don't represent who and what this community is about. I for one just gotta say great job Scoops and now I just gotta figure out where I can get some of those popsicles.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#169  Edited By omniscientcajun

Loved it. It seemed like once he got started and delivered the GTA/GameSpot/Carolyn portion, he really hit his stride; less filler "uh" words, incredibly natural delivery (often not found in TED/TEDx pieces), and complete command over his intended influences and delivery patterns.

I did think the white slide with a giant black "?" near the end was a little hackneyed - an overused ending to a presentation/powerpoint. And while "Speak Up" is not an original idea Patrick brought to the discussion, it is one that deserves reiteration, over and over until it is omnipresent in the way we think and act toward one another.

Beautifully done, Patrick.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By hatking

I'm really excited to listen to this at some point. Glad I didn't witness the fucking filth in the chat.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek Well done Patrick you did really well. So many of the points you mentioned really hit home to me. I know this has been said a lot but i am glad to have your input onn Giantbomb.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan said:

Comments like, "I'm glad your faggot dad's dead" and "He died because he couldn't deal with his son being a fag" were a few disgusting lowlights. I really hope the Gb community didn't make up most of that chat.

Ooame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He should have had the chat scrolling on the screen while he was doing the speech as an example. Now that would have been funny.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento said:

I didn't think Patrick's talk would do a whole lot until I saw the number of defensive 13 year olds in the chat trying to disabuse him from ruining their fun. I'm not one for social campaigning in video game circles (more because I lack the sensitivity to handle the subject with the requisite kid gloves, rather than hating everyone different like a sociopath) but big kudos to Tricky for getting a rise out of those people. Probably means he hit a nerve.

Next year: a TED talk on getting some warning labels on the Oculus Rift. Friends don't let friends play Kraken alone.

<o> <o>

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So many degenerates in the chat, I chose to ignore it and just watch. But seeing someone write "Die in a fire" while he's talking about his father, and the pure lack of empathy in some people. astounds me.

They pretty much confirmed most of what he said.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the only thing I took from the chat on that livestreams page is the realisation of just how much time we, as humans, waste just being utterly deplorable. Seriously, if you've nothing better to do with your time than to actively watch something you know you'll hate just to make awful comments about it, you probably need to re-evaluate your life.

Patrick on the other hand was pretty awesome. I didn't watch most of the other talks, but of the stuff I saw of them, he seemed the most comfortable up there, and that really helped his talk I think. Well done Scoops.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just echoing what everyone else has said. Patrick did a fantastic job, the chat made me so frustrated. I hope he continues public speaking as he's quite good at it.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By jerseyscum

I've said some downright shitty things on the internet....but that was beyond the fucking pale.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for dreamtheateropeth
dreamtheateropeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The disgusting comments in the chat came form a /v/ thead encouraging people too talk shit. They are the same guys who watch premium content for free by somehow uncovering the twitch password .

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Great job, Tricky! Keep up the great work. <o> <o>

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes with stuff like this I'm torn. I want Giantbomb to be mature and pursue critical analysis on topics but then I also want them to continue bringing the fun and hi-jinx hilarity. Can the two coexist? Without people getting upset, can we have a serious conversation and then on the flip side laugh about things? I don't know. It's weird because usually critical conversation has a tendency to be quite dry, I hope we can have a best of both worlds on the site without people losing their shit like they did in the chat. Although I do fully realise that probably 95% of that was 4chan trolls.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#185  Edited By Castiel

Well that was a pretty good speech. Respect Patrick.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Great speech by Scoops. Sad to see some in the chat exhibit a lack of maturity.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick. If you're reading this, do a fucking shot. Do two. You destroyed that shit.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So Ive been stuck at work all day anyone know where I can see an archive of scoops in action? Glad to see Patrick tore it up. All of the losers putting him down are just mad they won't amount to anything in life. Go Patrick!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes with stuff like this I'm torn. I want Giantbomb to be mature and pursue critical analysis on topics but then I also want them to continue bringing the fun and hi-jinx hilarity. Can the two coexist? Without people getting upset, can we have a serious conversation and then on the flip side laugh about things? I don't know. It's weird because usually critical conversation has a tendency to be quite dry, I hope we can have a best of both worlds on the site without people losing their shit like they did in the chat. Although I do fully realise that probably 95% of that was 4chan trolls.

Both should be able to, but it's a tough balance, and the age and maturity of the site's audience can make it difficult to be receptive, particularly toward the more serious, critical side. It was really telling when people, in response to the censoring of Ryan's unfortunate choice of words near the end of the final Lantern Run stream, leaped to his "defense" and saying such language is in the spirit of the site and community. Which of course is total horseshit.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

That was a great talk, Patrick. So ironic that the chat there illustrated your points so well.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this thread absolutely exploded once that presentation came to a close. It's undeniable that what Scoops said resonated with a lot of people belonging to both parties, those of us who consider ourselves to be the victims of said behaviour and the others who considers themselves to be the victims only in light of Patrick's presentation. This was very clear from how the chat, as well as this here thread, responded.

Personally, I genuinely enjoyed Patrick's speech, the content and it's delivery. He's made incredible progress over the years that he's worked here at Giant Bomb, he seemed to be in his element, and his approach to a very sensitive, ambigious subject was smartly planned, being both sentimental and realistic.

Scoops continues to impress. Well done, duder.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how many people from the ted talk chat will end up over here making accounts for the sole purpose of saying mean spirited things?

I implore everyone to not engage with these people at all. If that ted chat was any indication of their maturity, you'll only be wasting your time as well as satisfying them.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The speech was amazing and so eloquent, well done Patrick. Does people that make those types of comments are pathetic and I really feel sad for that type of individuals that need to put down other people because of their sad life.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18