• 66 results
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Devil240Z

I'm so tired of trying to research something online and only finding forum threads of people wanting the same information as me and all the responses are people telling the to use the search or to google it. These people are ruining googling. Its very difficult to get information when the top 10 results contain no valuable information. that and search aggregators, both of those things suck.

Okay rant over.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

I'm so tired of trying to research something online and only finding forum threads of people wanting the same information as me and all the responses are people telling the to use the search or to google it. These people are ruining googling. Its very difficult to get information when the top 10 results contain no valuable information. that and search aggregators, both of those things suck.

Okay rant over.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By fobwashed
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King
Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Giantstalker

The internet was designed from the ground up by Al Gore and the Military to get under your skin. Billions of dollars of government research and testing has created a network which will - without fail - aggravate, offend, or insult virtually everyone who uses it long enough. The 'google it' campaign is just the latest weapon in their war to frustrate users to support the global rage agenda.

The number of people not pissed off by the internet is incredibly tiny; so small, it's actually an integer approaching zero.

Don't feel bad.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SexyToad
@Fobwashed

http://bit.ly/ZRIBqt

Beat me to it... Also I find it funny that the first result is this thread.
NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@SexyToad said:

@Fobwashed

Beat me to it... Also I find it funny that the first result is this thread.

AHH! VISCOUS CIRCLE WITH NO END!

ASDFGHJL!!!11

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By izzygraze

@Devil240Z said:

Okay rant over.

I agree. Especially when that happens in real life too. I was hanging out with a couple of people and I asked someone a question to start a conversation. The person didn't mind and we start talking. My friend then interrupts our conversation and says "Have you tried googling it? My computer is right over there." I'm like "uhhhh no...sure..." and I couldn't even find my answer on google.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By htr10

Umm, the word is spelled 'goggle'. Oh man, what a thread full of a-holes, don't even know that you use goggles to look for something.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By myniceicelife

would "go bing it" be any better?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

@MyNiceIceLife said:

That just sounds dirty.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By myniceicelife

@SpikeSpiegel said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

That just sounds dirty.

i remember when "just google it" sounded dirty too haha

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By BisonHero

Dorito it?

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrIntrovert

I'll agree that it's overused as a response now, but a couple years ago there were so many people asking stupid questions they could easily look up that I understand why it's the knee-jerk response to someone asking a factual question. I like to think that most Internet users have learned to look things up before asking on a forum, so responding this way is really just being a troll.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#16  Edited By Kidavenger

What does 'google it' mean?

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By theslothking

@Kidavenger said:

Google it.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DeF

@Kidavenger said:

It means "to dance while feeling confused" in Antartican.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I'm pretty sure "just google it" or people replying with snarky-ass "let me google it for you" responses are done by dumbasses trying to look clever when they haven't a clue of what's being asked.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dagbiker

There was a time before google, when searches where crap. And you would be using Altavista to find some crappy link exchange to flow. That took work. That took skill.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaggE

AltaVista it.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Andorski

The better solution is for Google to fix their shit search engine.

No... don't quote this and make a joke about using Bing, Yahoo, AskJeeves, Altavista, Lycos, etc. instead.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

@IzzyGraze said:

@Devil240Z said:

Okay rant over.

I agree. Especially when that happens in real life too. I was hanging out with a couple of people and I asked someone a question to start a conversation. The person didn't mind and we start talking. My friend then interrupts our conversation and says "Have you tried googling it? My computer is right over there." I'm like "uhhhh no...sure..." and I couldn't even find my answer on google.

In real life it is kind of obnoxious, but on an internet forum I would consider it basic etiquette to Google a question and research it yourself at least a little bit before making a topic on it. It looks really stupid when you think of a question, ask it on a forum, and a reasonable answer is the very first thing to pop up in any given search engine.

At least on Giantbomb, people seem to do that these days.

I can definitely understand wanting to know how graphics card naming conventions work, though. "You mean that a 7850 is actually not as good as a 6970? And a 580 is better than a 660? Wut!?" Questions with confusing answers, I can understand why you'd ask those.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Max_Cherry

I want my answer to have a social aspect to it that asking google can't provide. You know what I mean?

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shiftymagician

More people need to be asking questions to a man I know of by the name of Jeeves...

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jams

@believer258 said:

@IzzyGraze said:

@Devil240Z said:

Okay rant over.

In real life it is kind of obnoxious, but on an internet forum I would consider it basic etiquette to Google a question and research it yourself at least a little bit before making a topic on it. It looks really stupid when you think of a question, ask it on a forum, and a reasonable answer is the very first thing to pop up in any given search engine.

I can definitely understand wanting to know how graphics card naming conventions work, though. "You mean that a 7850 is actually not as good as a 6970? And a 580 is better than a 660? Wut!?" Questions with confusing answers, I can understand why you'd ask those.

Sometimes you can get a clear and concise answer to a question that you can't really find on Google (or the only answer you found was only half of what you needed). I've done that before. But the point I think the OP was making is that if everyone just answered the question in the first place, google would be stock full of every kind of answer, possibly covering every angle. Instead you have pages of threads derailed by people telling the person asking the question to google it. Thus never finding the answer.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Max_Cherry

An endless cycle of disappointment.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Justin258

@Jams said:

@believer258 said:

@IzzyGraze said:

@Devil240Z said:

Okay rant over.

Sometimes you can get a clear and concise answer to a question that you can't really find on Google (or the only answer you found was only half of what you needed). I've done that before. But the point I think the OP was making is that if everyone just answered the question in the first place, google would be stock full of every kind of answer, possibly covering every angle. Instead you have pages of threads derailed by people telling the person asking the question to google it. Thus never finding the answer.

I probably should have made myself a bit clearer.

If you are going to a forum to ask a question, then you should Google search that question first. If you then do not find a satisfactory answer, then it's A-OK to make a thread for it.

If that's the case, you should probably also detail what you didn't find satisfactory about the answers you got.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jams

@believer258 said:

@Jams said:

@believer258 said:

@IzzyGraze said:

@Devil240Z said:

Okay rant over.

I probably should have made myself a bit clearer.

If you are going to a forum to ask a question, then you should Google search that question first. If you then do not find a satisfactory answer, then it's A-OK to make a thread for it.

If that's the case, you should probably also detail what you didn't find satisfactory about the answers you got.

Should I write my congresswoman while I'm at it? Maybe tell my barber and 2 closest friends? Why do all that when I can just get some internet sucker to do it for me?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ravenlight

@Max_Cherry said:

I want my answer to have a social aspect to it that asking google can't provide. You know what I mean?

Try Yahoo answers?

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OfficeGamer

@TheSlothKing said:

@Kidavenger said:

Google it.

The genius of this reply is far too great.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Jeust
@DrIntrovert said:

I'll agree that it's overused as a response now, but a couple years ago there were so many people asking stupid questions they could easily look up that I understand why it's the knee-jerk response to someone asking a factual question. I like to think that most Internet users have learned to look things up before asking on a forum, so responding this way is really just being a troll.

I agree with this to a point. Responding this way now can be also valid, for example about a specific part of a game that you have difficulty with. Unless the game is brand new, they generally are explained and scrutinised to death in game faqs, and and there is no need to ask on forums about that sort of thing. 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By crusader8463

It's not that complex. If you are at a point where you are going to put in the effort to make a forum thread about a question, take the few seconds it takes to google it first. If you can't find anything useful after looking through a few results then I don't see any problem asking in a thread. Just explain that you suck at using google and that you couldn't find anything.

Now if you are just talking about the idiots that pop into a thread to scream "google it" then run away without even reading the question, then ya they can go fuck themselves.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By daiphyer

Okay. Yahoo! it.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By MildMolasses

@Dagbiker said:

There was a time before google, when searches where crap. And you would be using Altavista to find some crappy link exchange to flow. That took work. That took skill.

There was a time before that where you had to physically go the library and read through a book, not just someone's summary

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Giantstalker

The internet was designed from the ground up by Al Gore and the Military to get under your skin. Billions of dollars of government research and testing has created a network which will - without fail - aggravate, offend, or insult virtually everyone who uses it long enough. The 'google it' campaign is just the latest weapon in their war to frustrate users to support the global rage agenda.

The number of people not pissed off by the internet is incredibly tiny; so small, it's actually an integer approaching zero.

Don't feel bad.

So it's more or less governor funded trolling.
Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kerned

Ask Jeeves!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Milkman

If you're going to Bing something, please use Google.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sanity

Depends on whats being asked, some things dont need asked and can be found all by your self. I do get your point though.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ApolloBob

@Kerned said:

Ask Jeeves!

Holy shit I forgot all about Ask Jeeves! Poor Jeeves, out on the street somewhere in ragged butler clothes.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Petiew

Seems appropriate.

No Caption Provided
I'd say most people react in that way because they're constantly bombarded with the same questions over and over. Usually the question is very simple and there are multiple topics on the site dealing with the same issue but slightly reworded. You even see it in large topics on this site, the same question repeated when it was asked a page or two ago. Most of the time these things can be found in less time by seaching google or even searching the forum in question.
I'd say it's mostly the simplicity of the question and the fact it has been answered countless times that annoys people. More complex questions or ones that have some amount of thought put into them that can't be answered with a couple of words are looked on more favourably.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm not gonna google it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By 49th  Online

Sometimes the question is so simple that it's way quicker and easier to just use google though. I would probably end up searching google for them which is just dumb.

Cthulad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cthulad

After a "successful" Google you get to a Wiki page that was created by a person with no knowledge of what you were looking for, and has been ill-informed. As a Wiki it can be taken as fact. Google it will end once people actually open their eyes wider, and see the conspiracies. Little green men have come from Mars, and are taking over. Watch the skies I tell you...

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Dalai

People need to stop complaining about dumb shit like this. WebCrawler it!

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Coafi

Do you prefer I just tell them to wiggle it?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Christoffer

I just wondered what "Yorn" meant. I Googled it and now know who Pete Yorn is. Ohhh, it's "Yourn", well fuck you google. What if I could ask a friendly soul about this instead? No? I should Google it instead? I just thought I did.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. Unless you ask something that is truly idiotic and completely common knowledge. In that case go Google it, it will probably be the first result.

Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By Irishdoom

Google MY FIST!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By PandaBear

@Fobwashed said:

That's brilliant :)

And the reason people say that is because the answer is out there somewhere if you look. It's usually for trivial stuff too. My advice - if you hate it so much find new friends and ask less questions, instead search for answers on your own.