dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By dr_ryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8S8eJkMW8

That's cool and all, but SOPA's getting voted on next month, and E3 isn't until June. Won't this whole thing be over by then, one way or another?

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Buscemi

I always did hate that guy from ScrewAttack.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dr_ryan

yeah i hate him, and screw attack and extra credits, and im pretty sure the firefall guy is just there to plug firefall

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By Little_Socrates

These guys can totally pull out, and I support them doing that. I still plan to enjoy the shit out of E3.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

Weren't all these companies just tangentially supporting it though?

Because they buy into some committee right? Like Sony the game division is vocally against it, but they're stuck in Sony's company or something...

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Masha2932

I'd admire their efforts but I doubt anything useful while happen regarding E3. It makes too much money for gaming websites as well, with it being one of the most trafficked periods of the year, so they wouldn't risk not covering it.

Good luck to America though, because if that bill is successful I'm sure Australia is sure to follow.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Winternet

This thread doesn't add up.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zeforgotten
@Winternet said:

This thread doesn't add up.

It adds up fine if you mix it with the other thread about this exact same topic. 
zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By zero_

@Buscemi said:

What!? But his dreamy voice!

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Buscemi

@Zero_ said:

@Buscemi said:

I know, it's perfect. Maybe a little too perfect?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

ScrewAttack have always been clueless amateurs.. I'm surprised they're still around.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Doctorchimp said:

Weren't all these companies just tangentially supporting it though?

Because they buy into some committee right? Like Sony the game division is vocally against it, but they're stuck in Sony's company or something...

The ESA are the "committee" that support SOPA and PIPA which a lot of major developers are a member of. The ESA also run E3. Boycotting E3 is directly boycotting the ESA, not just the companies who are associated with the ESA.

As for why they're talking about boycotting E3 when this should be over with by then, I think people are assuming that this is going to be drawn out and end up lasting far longer. Ultimately it seems that all this vocal position to the bills is going to cause some delays and revisions to the bill, but they're ultimately still going to try and push them (or bills similar to them) through.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Buscemi

@MattyFTM said:

As for why they're talking about boycotting E3 when this should be over with by then, I think people are assuming that this is going to be drawn out and end up lasting far longer. Ultimately it seems that all this vocal position to the bills is going to cause some delays and revisions to the bill, but they're ultimately still going to try and push them (or bills similar to them) through.

I'm guessing that it could potentially be a viable option if any such bill passes? I don't know. Honestly, I've never really liked the whole counter-movement-grassroots-thing that happens every time something threatens the way things are. I'm not saying they're wrong, but I'm saying they have a whiff of we're-so-much-better-than-you-for-knowing-about it. They're the hipster rebels who are going to saving us clueless drones.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By willin

The whole movement is just begging for a 'We Are The World' type song having famous video game personalities singing about SOPA.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Buscemi

@Willin said:

The whole movement is just begging for a 'We Are The World' type song having famous video game personalities singing about SOPA.

My thoughts exactly, though not as eloquently expressed.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Buscemi

@dudeglove said:

@Buscemi said:

@Zero_ said:

@Buscemi said:

I know, it's perfect. Maybe a little too perfect?

I gave up on that site a long time ago. Stuttering Craig used to be a radio announcer waaaaay back in the day, so that's why he's got such silky tones.

That explains a lot. I don't know what it is, though. I don't like his cap. If you're going to wear a cap, at least have the decency to be a truck driver.

MangyForestCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By MangyForestCat

@Masha2932 said:

....because if that bill is successful I'm sure Australia is sure to follow.

If it succeeds in America the whole world is sure to follow. The world hangs onto America's nutsack and if America's nutsack gets cold and its scrotum skin contracts then ALL THE WORLD MUST FOLLOW SUIT!

SirPinkleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SirPinkleton

These criticisms of the people in the video are ignoring the issue posed in the video.

If the ESA supports SOPA, and you recognize the threat of SOPA, you should not support ESA. If the ESA makes revenue from E3, and you don't support the ESA, you shouldn't attend E3. Is internet freedom not worth the money one website can gain by covering E3? I think internet freedom is important enough, and I think the staff at GB should seriously consider not going/covering E3.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GoofyGoober

Boy I can't wait to ENJOY E3.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rudyftw

Activision and Microsoft support PIPA and SOPA

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AxleBro

i kinda like screw attack.... sometimes.... they have some opinions on games i like/hate that are INSANE but whatever

on topic: i think its just a way for them to try to show the ESA(which is viewed as the head of the gaming industry by old people who have money and don't understand games) that the gaming industry does not support them. i don't think the idea is perfect, but some people in this thread are clearly just saying "fuck screwattack and the idea is shit because they came up with it" but whatever. i think this idea needs to go back to the drawing board for a bit.... seems kind of silly right now.

Tiny415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tiny415

@SirPinkleton: But isn't that a very simple view. Essentially you are saying that if they do not completely agree with you, then you will not support them.

The ESA supplied 30 scholarships for aspiring game developers, raised over $900,000 for game development around educational games, and helped defend video game merits to the Supreme court. All of this occurred in the last 6 months. This organization is not evil,

It seems like a very simple response to boycott, instead of engage in a mature dialog.

This issue, like all other issues, is not binary decision. The idea of protecting the rights of content creators is important, but the manor in which SOPA goes about it is wrong. With revision, technical input and oversight these bills could be turned into something that could work.

@AxleFGK: Is it true that this does not represent the gaming industry? The ESA is a professional organization, that represents publishers and developers. For all we know, they had a private meeting for corporate members to determine their stance. Sony, EA and Microsoft have publicly came out in support of this effort, but I can imagine that a number of companies privately support SOPA for what it can do to protect their properties.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By N7
@Tiny415: NO YOU DON'T GET IT. SOPA IS EVIL AND EVERYTHING RELATED TO SOPA IS EVIL! FUCK YOUR LOGIC! I'M CAPSLOCKING THIS SHIT RIGHT THE FUCK UP.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Teen angst. I'm also tired of seeing stupid SOPA threads on the internet. Complaining on the internet isn't going to do shit. Write a letter to your congressman, tell us to do the same and move on.
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By DarthOrange

Craig should just give those SOPA douches the ol' SPOON ATTACK!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mandude

I think the entire point is to have any money that would otherwise be given to E3 BEFORE the event to otherwise not be given to them, thus illiciting a response before the show happens anyway.