• 59 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Anyone else have this debate with their mobile devices?

I used to use cases a lot but lately I've went caseless and no screen protector either. I have an iPhone 6S and it feels so much nicer using it without a case or screen protector, but there's always that fear of dropping it once and ruining it, scratching, etc.

That said I have a leather carrying pouch for when I'm out but I have to remove the phone from it to use it. It's scary using it outside but damn it feels way nicer than having a bulky case.

These phone manufacturers make them so thin and light, that I feel like putting a case on it defeats the purpose.

What's say you?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I've never had a case or screen protector, but then I don't have an iPhone, so I've never had to worry about the screen cracking either.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't get cases tbh, but I suppose that's because I've never broken a phone. I've dropped my iPhone directly onto concrete and hardwood floors multiple times and it's always been fine. Couple of scratches on the metal edges, but no screen breakage. I dunno, I just have to wonder what the hell people are doing to fuck their phones up so bad...

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

Any case that puts some space between your screen and whatever you drop it on is so important. I have too many friends who keep using their smashed phones and i'd like to avoid that at all costs. It doesn't have to be an otter ox or lifeproof case, i have a new trent slim case that raises the bevel just enough that an impact gets spread more to the case than the screen and no drops have hurt the phone.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

My nan uses one.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have a case and a screen protector/privacy screen. the peace of mind i get from it makes up for it being marginally bigger in my pocket. but i have iphone 6plus. i also have to say ive dropped my phone numerous times and my case protect my phone and my protector is the only thing that breaks. but its worth the risk if you can swing a couple hundred bucks to replace it.

i actually love my case, it has a line of rubber around the inside loop but the exterior is kinda slippery :/. but those otter boxes are pretty cool

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Case. I prefer to use my cash on new shit, not replacing broke shit.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't have an issue with dropping my phone. Or putting it in a situation where it could be potentially damaged. So I don't use cases or screen protectors. And I've never had a problem.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've ran with iphones for awhile now and I find them much easier to grip with a case attached. They look much nicer without a case but at least you get some peace of mind with a case. Don't apply a screen protector, though, they bother me.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never damaged any of my phones (except for that one that went swimming in Hawai'i with me), but when I bought my Nexus 6P a few months ago I got one of those bumper cases. It adds just enough grip, and keeps the faces off of surfaces, without adding any noticeable bulk. I really dislike having things in my pockets, so the less unnecessary mass on my phone the better.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally dislike cases so I have a super slim fitting brushed aluminum & plastic case that adds very, very little in terms of bulk. It gives a small amount of protection while being basically invisible. My pocket thanks me.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never used a screen protector, and I use the slimmest case possible, solely because phone manufacturers love to make phones as slippery as possible so you drop, break, and replace them. I need some grip.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the Quick Circle case for my phone, which offers no actual protection (the case replaces the back cover and adds a flappy bit in the front). No real case, no screen protector. My lifestyle doesn't carry many risks for a phone. When I go running it never leaves my pocket, outside of that I'm just at a desk for most of the day. I've never broken a phone or cracked a screen.

Nothing wrong with cases and I get why people use them. Just not needed for me personally.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I've had iPhones for years and have never needed a case.

Stop being so clumsy, people

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: unless you live in space, gravity happens when you least expect it!

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a case/card holder thing for my iphone 6. It's so thin otherwise that the added bulk doesn't bother me, and it saves me from carrying around a wallet.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have owned smart phones since 2008 and I haven,t ever used a case, nor have I ever had a broken phone. I just don't understand how people could be so reckless as to need a case? Take care of your shit and you won't need a case.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a case for my HTC M8. It's quite heavy, but it provides excellent cushioning and looks really nice. I don't even mind the weight since I don't like to feel like I'm holding a piece of cardboard. There's something assuring about being able to grip a sturdy-feeling phone.

I also have a higher-class glass screen protector and it's been performing incredibly well, it's scratch-proof, unnoticeable and was very easy to install without any bubbles or dust.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive usually had case+screen protector on my phones but the one I got last year is still naked. Ive thought about getting a case for it but just haven't found one I really want.

rahlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used a case on my first cell phone the htc evo. Was a cheap case that ended up scratching my phone up. Since that incident I've been riding case less for my iphone 4s and now my curret 6s+.

No screen protectors either.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Never had any phone cases or had any phones that got scratched.

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had way too many friends who accidentally dropped their phones and cracked their screens to not use a case. The phone looks uglier, heavier and doesn't feel as nice as without a case, but at least I won't have to worry about spending hundreds of dollars to replace screens or phones.

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Used to use cases, but they always felt kind of cheap. Eventually I just thought "F-it, I'm gonna enjoy this phone as it is."

Then my screen cracked... Bought a used phone and after about eight months the screen cracked on it as well. Since new phones are expensive as hell, I repaired the screen myself and bought a case. Magpul Field Case, looks and feels great. Not as cheap as other cases, but doesn't feel cheap either.

I have owned smart phones since 2008 and I haven,t ever used a case, nor have I ever had a broken phone. I just don't understand how people could be so reckless as to need a case? Take care of your shit and you won't need a case.

I am not reckless with my phones; both broke under very unlucky circumstances. I am fairly certain none of the accidents would even have happened if I'd had a case.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not having a case is madness, no wonder so many people have phones with broken screens. Im using a screen protector for the firsy time and its pretty great barely notice i have one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a slim case as it gives me sufficient protection against scratches but still allows me to navigate it one handed.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I would prefer no screen, but all it takes is one drop to fuck up your very expensive pocket computer. I like smaller phones, in general so I try to get the slimmest case I can while still having it be protective.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like we had this same discussion on the forums not too long ago, but either way, yeah, I'm careful with my phone, but I still prefer to have a case on for peace of mind. Also my case doubles as a stand and that's pretty effin cool in my book.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I go back and forth. Right now I have a case that attaches to a charging expansion. And given the battery life of the I phone 5 (my current phone) I'll probably keep it on hand. But in general I think cases are important. Unless your phone is magic, if you drop it there's no protection there.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Depends on the phone, really. Upgraded to a Galaxy S7 Edge and it's pretty slippery without one, coming from a Oneplus One that had the sandstone back, and before that a Nokia Lumia 920. But I'm one of those people that rarely ever drops their phone, and if it is dropped, it's typically on carpet.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've never had a case and never got a scratch. Feeling alright about it

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many moons ago, I had a metal case for the massive-by-today's-standards Blackberry Palmpilot which made the whole thing look like a battle damaged tank. I then slimmed down with each new phone, and seem to alternate between a simple case or a folio style case. I kind of like having the latter, as you can tuck a metro card or any keycards with it, plus a little more screen coverage, hopefully upping your chances of remembering to grab your phone.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

yes, because modern phones are too thin to properly grip. I need a bit of extra grip from a case.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't use screen protectors, but I am using a case on my current Galaxy S6. I picked up the slimmest case possible because the back of this phone is more at risk of cracking than the previous models due to the glass back, so I'd rather just be safe.

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not. As really who needs them. Just a waste of money. One of the very few with a flip phone.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thin case is a must for me. Shit happens, best protect ya neck.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Why would I not spend an extra $20 to protect my $400+ phone from an accident? The fact that some people are so vehemently opposed to a case is absurd to me.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a toddler. So yes.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39 Ben_H  Online

I use one because I run with my phone in my hand and it's way easier to clean a nasty case than clean off my phone every time. If not for that I probably wouldn't. Also, I've actually dropped by phone a couple times lately and totally saved it with a case. I always goes for the slimmest case possible because even a slim case protects enough for me and makes the phone comfier to grip.

Also, the previously mentioned "new phones are too thin for my big hands".

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By NeverGameOver

I was rear ended by a box truck at full speed recently. My car is completely totaled. My iphone 6 plus went flying into the windshind. The windshield cracked. The phone is fine. Get a case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: This is the problem, the protection is nice but the added bulk is pretty annoying. I'm generally pretty careful with my phone but that doesn't mean anything, anything can happen. I could end up dropping my phone and having to get it replaced. I have Apple Care, but... still.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I need is a slim case that adds a lip around the screen. That's enough.

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No case nor screen protector ever on any of my phones, and I drop my phone on hardwood or concrete at least once a week. My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy 1 that lasted me from 2011-2014. Right now I have a LG-LS720 that has lasted me from 2014-till this post. So I have been lead to believe that there is just a hidden luck stat IRL.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: i really resent that attitude. What works fine for some doesnt with others. Clumsiness isnt an on/off switch, either. And most people want the peace of mind, and it doesn't hurt those elite who are never, ever clumsy. And you never know, maybe youve just been incredibly lucky all this time.

My g4 looks pretty svelte and id love to use it without a case and trust myself to be 100% careful but it's just not going to happen and im not going to risk a $500 device because of it. I told myself and tried my damndest to be careful before and go without a case, and i cracked the screens of my previous two phones because of it.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There have been times where my phone's fallen off a table and nothing's happened and other times when it fell maybe a foot and completely shattered the screen. After that I started getting cases for my phones.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Nokia lumia 1520 I broke multiple times withiut a case as a BMW tech. Sometimes you need to get in weird positions to do stuff and it caused the phone to stress so much it cracked. Then it happened again, and again, and again. Now it's just a cracked phone and I'm using a Motorola 6" Android for now, with a small snapon case that my brother had it in when he gave it to me. Hasn't cracked but I also quit my job so who knows.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I use a case for the better grip, the kickstand, and they fact that it keeps my phone nice looking for resale if I want that option. Also, I never have to think about my phone, it is just protected.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fram

No cases, no screen protectors. Haven't cracked a smartphone screen yet!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yay-ish. I guess just havent found one I like yet.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i want to maximize resale value (minimize surface scratches) and i'm not paying for a premium warranty, so a case for me is a no-brainer.

I was rear ended by a box truck at full speed recently. My car is completely totaled. My iphone 6 plus went flying into the windshind. The windshield cracked. The phone is fine. Get a case.

this anecdote wins as far as i'm concerned. hope you personally did as well as your phone did (no bodily harm)!