Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By artofwar420

When is the right time to sue?

Recognize the ball?
Recognize the ball?
We've all been there, our lamp company makes a good lamp, some nerds come up to us and ask for permission to put it in their computer videos, we say it's ok, but then 20 years later we forget and sue their ass. Right?

I'm dumbfounded that PIxar are getting sued by Luxo, all because Pixar (well probably the marketing dept.) want to sell a lamp in homage to their Luxo Jr. character from the Luxo Jr. short. If they were gonna sue Pixar, they should have done so when the short came out, in 1986. Except Luxo granted them permission: 

The notion of computer animation was still unfathomable for most of the public. Ultimately, Pixar and Luxo reached an agreement in which Luxo could screen the film at its own trade shows and Pixar could distribute the film without restraint. 

Oh it comes with UP?!
Oh it comes with UP?!
The smartest thing to do is to actually try to get some sort of official branding in this Luxo Jr. lamp, you know kinda like the Swingline staplers recognized that people would want the same stapler as Milton and just rolled with it and sold them. I assure you that they'd make much more money if they aligned themselves WITH Pixar instead against them. Luxo's argument is that if released, this lamp would tarnish the company's image. REALLY?! How could Pixar do anything of the sort? Have they even seen a Pixar movie? 

So many times I hear of things like this, companies sueing each other left and right, for all the wrong reasons. What needs to happen for this to stop? I think the old, out of touch executives just need to step down or die, ice bullets anyone? And be replaced by younger* people that understand that sometimes having a good image is as important or more than having a few more dollars in the bank.

Whatever the case, I hope they get to release them because I want one. 

*Or younger in spirit, at least people that don't think that women's suffrage is morally wrong.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By artofwar420

When is the right time to sue?

Recognize the ball?
Recognize the ball?
We've all been there, our lamp company makes a good lamp, some nerds come up to us and ask for permission to put it in their computer videos, we say it's ok, but then 20 years later we forget and sue their ass. Right?

I'm dumbfounded that PIxar are getting sued by Luxo, all because Pixar (well probably the marketing dept.) want to sell a lamp in homage to their Luxo Jr. character from the Luxo Jr. short. If they were gonna sue Pixar, they should have done so when the short came out, in 1986. Except Luxo granted them permission: 

The notion of computer animation was still unfathomable for most of the public. Ultimately, Pixar and Luxo reached an agreement in which Luxo could screen the film at its own trade shows and Pixar could distribute the film without restraint. 

Oh it comes with UP?!
Oh it comes with UP?!
The smartest thing to do is to actually try to get some sort of official branding in this Luxo Jr. lamp, you know kinda like the Swingline staplers recognized that people would want the same stapler as Milton and just rolled with it and sold them. I assure you that they'd make much more money if they aligned themselves WITH Pixar instead against them. Luxo's argument is that if released, this lamp would tarnish the company's image. REALLY?! How could Pixar do anything of the sort? Have they even seen a Pixar movie? 

So many times I hear of things like this, companies sueing each other left and right, for all the wrong reasons. What needs to happen for this to stop? I think the old, out of touch executives just need to step down or die, ice bullets anyone? And be replaced by younger* people that understand that sometimes having a good image is as important or more than having a few more dollars in the bank.

Whatever the case, I hope they get to release them because I want one. 

*Or younger in spirit, at least people that don't think that women's suffrage is morally wrong.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By teh_destroyer

There suing Pixar over a lamp? Jesus Christ! This is why people piss me off. Pixar has been using that lamp for as long as I can remember.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Anything or anyone who would try and hurt Pixar is a horrible monster that deserves nothing but misery. Pixar is pure and innocent and beautiful.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA

Tarnish their image?

I would think suing Pixar would tarnish their image more than aligning with Pixar.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Evilsbane

You just sued Pixar. . . WTF is wrong with you? It's a company that most people love because they make good movies with tons of passion and they have been using YOUR design for over twenty years, and instead of going HEY wait lets do this together and bring our brand into the mainstream, no they are going fight a losing battle with a company owned by Disney who is now partly ran by Steve Jobs who owns Apple, what kind of idiot do you have to be?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By artofwar420
@Evilsbane: Exactly, if they keep this up they're gonna end up destroying themselves. You don't go against Disney, just like you don't go to war against Russia or China.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hatking

I love lamp.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fynne

In the murky world of lawsuits and IP, who knows what will happen.

Btw, Mythbusters proved that ice bullets are pure Hollywood.  They couldn't figure out how to make one that wouldn't distintegrate the moment it was fired.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's not a terribly original lamp so I don't know why they would see Pixar unless they want money. Which they probably do.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By artofwar420
@fynne said:
" In the murky world of lawsuits and IP, who knows what will happen.  Btw, Mythbusters proved that ice bullets are pure Hollywood.  They couldn't figure out how to make one that wouldn't distintegrate the moment it was fired. "
That was a good episode.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I think this is the only blog I've read from you that didn't confuse me.  
On subject, dude, it's a fucking lamp.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

DOOD!!!  A Luxo lamp with Up?  I have to go see if it's the Blu-Ray edition only that gets it!!!  SWEET PACK-IN!!! 

Oh, as for the subject...meh.  Pixar has the power of Disney/Marvel behind it. 

I LOVE LAMP!

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RetroIce4

Wow. Over a lamp...

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ahriman22
@teh_destroyer: It's all about the money, they probably aren't pissed at all. The legal department probably saw the opportunity and like a good corporation they want more money.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Absurd

I've always wanted that lamp

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Crono
@ahriman22 said:
" @teh_destroyer: It's all about the money, they probably aren't pissed at all. The legal department probably saw the opportunity and like a good corporation they want more money. "
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By DanielJW
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" Anything or anyone who would try and hurt Pixar is a horrible monster that deserves nothing but misery. Pixar is pure and innocent and beautiful. "
This!
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah Pixar's pretty great but. You know. Making a bunch of money in a BS civil suit is pretty great too. Its like free money. You go to the money store and deposite your credibility and get a couple million bucks in return. Sweet gig.
Lamps are hit hardest in a recession after all, everyone knows that.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RipTheVeins

Suing pixar is like kicking a puppy in the face in front of a 2 year-old.  Congratulations, Luxo, you just kicked a puppy in the face by the transitive property.  I hope you have PETA on your ass now, sick bastards.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@RipTheVeins said:

" Suing pixar is like kicking a puppy in the face in front of a 2 year-old.  Congratulations, Luxo, you just kicked a puppy in the face by the transitive property.  I hope you have PETA on your ass now, sick bastards. "

Dude, I don't wish for anyone to have PETA on their ass 
Look at this shit   

No Caption Provided
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RipTheVeins
@addictedtopinescent: exactly, I fucking hate PETA (and even made a thread discussing said hate a while ago), but you know what they say "...keep your enemies closer."
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@artofwar420 said:
"   Luxo's argument is that if released, this lamp would tarnish the company's image.  "
Maybe they have Pixar and Dreamworks confused?
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By artofwar420
@jakob187: I do believe it's the blu-ray.

@Metal_Gear_Sunny: Thanks, you know, my mind is not just filled with perverted sexual fantasies.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Willy105
@Vito_Raliffe said:

" Anything or anyone who would try and hurt Pixar is a horrible monster that deserves nothing but misery. Pixar is pure and innocent and beautiful. "

It's a little over-romanticizing it, but it's the closest a movie studio, or a company, has gotten to it.

But yeah, Luxo Lamp = Pixar, and Pixar won it fairly, WITH LUXO'S PERMISSION TO USE IT. They don't have a case.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Willy105 said:
" @Vito_Raliffe said:

It's a little over-romanticizing it, but it's the closest a movie studio, or a company, has gotten to it. 

Actually, I don't think I'm romanticizing them enough! If Pixar was a person I would cuddle them with great affection every night.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Willy105
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @Vito_Raliffe said:

Actually, I don't think I'm romanticizing them enough! If Pixar was a person I would cuddle them with great affection every night. "
John Lasseter would be very proud, and freaked out.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Wow, if I was that stupid lamp company I would be all over Pixar giving free marketing to my lamps.