Podcast Recommendations (Preferably Non-Gaming Related)

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By SerHulse

I was wondering if you all had any Podcast recommendations, as the title says preferably non-gaming related as I feel the Bombcast fills that role quite nicely. To give you an idea of what I already listen to here's a list:

BBC Podcasts

• Best of the Chris Moyles Show
  • What the Papers Say
  • 5 Live Football Daily
  • Scott Mills Daily
  • Fighting Talk
  • Dr. Karl and The Naked Scientist

Whiskey Media Podcasts

• Giant Bombcast
  • Behind the Screened Door
  • This is Only a Test
  • Nintendownload X-Press

Misc. Podcasts

• The Complete Guide to Everything
  • IndieGames.com Podcast
  • Stuff You Should Know
  • The YogPod

So, any recommendations?

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maajin

I love Hollywood Babble-On, with Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman. It's really dumb, but I love it.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Jim and Them (pop culture podcast).

It's a little low-brow, but fun nonetheless.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SerHulse

@mylifeforAiur, @Maajin: I'll check them out, I don't mind having something dumb to listen to in the background, I just need some background noise whilst I'm doing coursework you know?

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Nick
lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By lord_canti

absolute radio weekend breakfast podcasts are pretty good (dave gorman and frank skinner)

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Masha2932

My brother my brother and me. I'm not good with descriptions so I'll let their website explain itself. 

http://maximumfun.org/shows/my-brother-my-brother-and-me 

My Brother, My Brother and Me is an advicecast for the modern era featuring three real-life brothers: Justin, Travis and Griffin McElroy. For roughly five-sixths of an hour each week, with new episodes dropping every Monday, the brothers McElroy will answer any query sent our way, each fielding questions falling into our respective areas of expertise. We operate like a streamlined, advice-generating machine. It’s both terrifying and humbling to behold.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I barely have time to stay on top of the Bombcast so I don't listen to a ton of pod casts but on occasion I listen to:

Armstrong & Miller - Timeghost

Jay & Silent Bob Get Old

Rhod Gilbert's Best Bits

Behind the Screened Door

--

Game related:

Gamespot's The Hotspot (Strictly re-listening to classic 05/06/07 episodes, before everyone left.)

Gamespot's On The Spot (Much like the Hotspot, only re-watching old classic episodes)

CAGcast (Don't listen to it very often, and only ever listen to the game talk. Once they starting talking about offers and other things I switch off as it only applies to US listeners)

Unoriginal Soundtracks (Hugely creative podcast - "Every other Wednesday I share a playlist of songs tangentially related to a single game or series.")

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By morrelloman

My favorites are:

Comedy Bang Bang

Nerdist

BS Report with Bill Simmons

Doug Loves Movies

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SerHulse

@IkariNoTekken: Unoriginal Soundtracks sounds pretty cool I'll try that one out. Thanks!

vexing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vexing

The Flop House is one of my favorite podcasts: it's three guys discussing a bad movie they just watched and indulging in their shared love of tangents. Two of the three guys are writers on The Daily Show, if that makes any difference. Another favorite of mine is the Pod F. Tompkast, which is a rambly comedy cast run entirely by Paul F. Tompkins. I love em both.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mosespippy

Of the 29 podcasts I am subscribed to these are the ones I recommend. Interestingly, only 1 of them is not a professionally produced radio show.

Too Much Information with Benjamin Walker - It's probably my favourite podcast/radio show. Not all episodes are on the itunes feed though. The missing ones are on WFMU.org.

99% Invisible - A 5 to 10 minute show about architecture and design. It's a close second for my favourite podcast.

Corsten's Countdown - Electonic/House music show that features 7 new tracks and 3 favourites from the previous week.

The Age of Persuasion - A show about the advertising industry. It's fascinatingly nerdy.

A Life Well Wasted - Robert Ashley's human interest gaming show that almost never updates (but he has promised another episode).

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Maajin said:

I love Hollywood Babble-On, with Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman. It's really dumb, but I love it.

Yes, this. Smith does a ton of podcast work, but Babble-On, Smodcast, and Jay and Silent Bob Get Old are my favorites. If you like Smith's brand of humor you'll eat that shit up.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaggE

"My Brother, My Brother and Me" and "Stop Podcasting Yourself" are my current favorites. In fact, just go to maximumfun.org and poke around, they have a bunch of great podcasts.

(Also, if anybody can suggest a podcast as funny as MBMBaM, I'll love you forever)

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Econtalk is great if you have a casual interest in economics. It's a little hit or miss, but occasionally it's world changing. That's good enough for me. Includes interviews with Freeman Dyson, Milton Friedman and a whole bunch of people you never knew you wanted to listen to.

Maybe I missed it, but since I didn't see anyobe recommening This American Life, I'm doing it now.

The Moth is a great weekly podcast that lets you listen to people tell amazing stories. 20 min or so weekly

I know you asked for non-gaming related, but I'm going to mention Brainy Gamer. Really smart discussion about video games.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By triple07

I'll second RadioLab. Its a really interesting a fun science podcast. Its pretty much the only other podcast I listen to besides the bombcast.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By asmo917

The Joe Rogan Experience. Rogan's really funny to begin with, and his guests are varied enough that it's hard to pin this down to being about any one topic. Lots of comedians, including semi-regulars Ari Shaffir and Joey Diaz, Cliff Blizenski's been on a few times, Kevin Pereria's been a surprisingly interesting guest, and Kevin Smiht was on for like 3 hours. There's also a pretty steady stream of enthusiasts in pot, ethnogens, aliens, conspiracy theories, alien conspiracy theories, and alien ethnogen conspiracy theories.

I'd suggest browsing the guest lists and finding two or three names you know or some that are repeated frequently and listening to three or four shows to get a feel for the whole thing, but I enjoy it.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tesla

Comedy Bang Bang

Nerdist

Sklarbro Country

This American Life

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Nick

@Tesla: This American Life is also great.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mmmslash

This is something I am super well equipped for! I'll leave off the video game podcasts I listen to, unless they are super niche. INCOMING LIST!

Traditional Gaming (aka Tabletop RPG's, etc.)

At Sixes and Sevens - A Changeling: the Lost actual play podcast. Wonderful and fanciful. If you like grim faerie tales, this is for you.

Critical Hit - D&D actual play podcast. Probably the best actual play podcast.

Fandible - Actual play of basically everything, ever. I recommend the nWoD series, Shattered Reflections and Congealed Happiness.

Of Steam, Steel, and Murder - Steampunk actual play podcast. Huge backlog, very good story.

Nerd-whatever stuff

Major Spoilers - Like comic books? Pop culture? Like fun personalities and a genuine passion sprinkled in your chatter? This is for you.

Downloadable Content, A Penny Arcade Podcast - Listen to the duo storyboard a few of their strips. It was almost always hilarious, but hasn't had an episode in ages. (Mostly due to PATV)

Thing a Week - Jonathan Coulton was once unemployed, and not a household gamer name. For a year, we wrote (or covered) a song and released it via podcast, for free. This is that podcast.

Pseudopod - Like spooky stories? Like genuinely scary stories? Like audiobooks? This is a great, great podcast for you. Boasting 200+ episodes at this point, there is so much to go through, you'll be pleasantly pleased while you stay awake tonight.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Harkat

Spill.com's The League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen is a great one.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bombHills

Joe Rogan Experience

Norml Show Live

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SerHulse

@vexing: Thanks for recommending the Flop House, just listened to the latest episode, loved it!

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Brother, My Brother and Me

Laser Time

vexing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vexing

@Hulsey90: I am always happy to introduce more people to the Flop House. Their backlog is well worth diving into if you have the time.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By strangone

WTF with Marc Maron

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SerHulse

@vexing: I'm still getting through the Bombcast backlog, though once I'm done with that I'll get right on it!

And thanks everyone else for the recommendations, I now have hours of stuff to get me through the cold coursework filled winter. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you heard of Stuff You Should Know? It's a wonderful podcast that's bundles of fun to listen to.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nerdsbeware

If you are into film and television, check out the /Filmcast. I really like these guys, plus I am pretty sure I saw the host of /Filmcast photographing the Giant Bomb panel at PAX East this year, which was pretty cool.

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McSmunions
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By louiedog

I'm a big fan of My Brother, My Brother, and Me (MBMBAM). It's a comedy/advice podcast where they give advice to users and random ridiculous questions dredged up from the depths of Yahoo Answers. It's about 15% serious advice and 85% jokes. Remember Justin McElroy who told the Sherlock Holmes story on the E3 Bombcast? It's hosted by him and his two brothers.

If you like stupidly bad movies, or Nicolas Cage movies in general, How Did This Get Made is really good. It's comedians discussing bad movies and they've gotten people who have been involved with them to talk about some of the ridiculousness. They do a different movie every two weeks and let you know what it is in advance so you can watch in preparation, but it isn't required for the experience.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By BabyChooChoo

All of the How Stuff Works brand of podcasts. I think all of em are pretty good.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SerHulse

@chrismafuchris: It was already on the list ;)

@BabyChooChoo: I already tried listening to the other ones, and apart from Brain Stuff and SYSK, I really couldn't listen to them for long.

@louiedog: It's funny on the Flop House (another recommendation) they take the piss out of How Did This Get Made? so much so I thought it was a fake podcast, thanks I'll check that one out as well.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By Jost1

LASER TIME starring the cast of TalkRadar but not about video games.

www.lasertimepodcast.com

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By dagas

The History of Rome by Mike Duncan is good for those interested in ancient Rome. Otherwise I only listed to game related podcasts.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Jost1

@TheVeteran13 said:

My Brother, My Brother and Me

Laser Time

Laser Time is a little SMOOTHER

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Faint

Joe Rogan Experience. All you need. He is friends with Cliff Bleszinski who sometimes comes on the show, and often talks about John Carmack in relation to other topics. I think he was invited to go check out I.D's stuff at one point. He even has Gears of War and Doom posters in his office where they do the podcast, but rarely plays games as he describes them as being too fun and addictive to his well being. haha

Mercot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mercot

Original SMODcast and Tell 'Em Steve-Dave are the only Smith-related podcasts I can take regularly these days.

Also The Phileas Club, with Patrick Beja, a really interesting multi-national perspective on global news and issues.

Coffee Break French - great 20-min sessions of conversational French. TONS of free eps.

The Comedy Button. Mostly great, a little pretentious, but...mostly great. So far.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By babblinmule

The only non gaming podcast I listen to is Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film reviews (BBC film guys). So hilarious and they just don't give a shite about what any of the other film 'critics' think.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ravenlight
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Ramone

The Mighty Electronic Box (This actually my own podcast)

My Brother My Brother and Me

Avatar image for deactivated-5e963c28a34c1
deactivated-5e963c28a34c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Podcasts are free for a reason; because they suck. With the exception of the Bombcast and The Comedy Button, I can't listen to any of it. If you want a great radio show, I have two:

The Opie & Anthony Show

The Ron & Fez Show

Both are on Sirius/XM, but if you want a "free sample" of them, there are ways if you know your way around the internet. You'll love them both and subscribe, I'm sure. They're on XM 105 and Sirius 206. They're both 4-hour shows that air daily. They're humor shows that lean heavily to the cringe or gallow humor side. Certainly not morning zoo shows since many of their jokes include racism & pedaphilia. Extremely addicting... I've been listening to both shows since 2006 (sad, I know). Not for politically correct people, but they're great to play in the background while gaming or in the car. And Ron Bennington is perhaps the funniest natually funny man on the face of the planet.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By superpow

I am Dave ! Yognaut and I have the balls!

Most of the podcasts I listen to are literary podcasts or radioplays. If that piques your interest I'd suggest the drabblecast which has very good strange stories and We're Alive, which is a podcast on zombie survival.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By buzz_clik
Helgi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Helgi
Furman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Furman

I'm kinda burned out on some of the big ones like the Smodcast. I do like WTF with Maron, Bombcast, obvi. Somebody mentioned Pseudopod and that rules. I like White Dad Problems and Bill Burr. Oh, and You Look Nice Today, but I think I've heard all of theirs.