Polar Opposites - Pacific Rim

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll Polar Opposites - Pacific Rim (81 votes)

Love 43%
Hate 0%
Like 33%
Dislike 5%
Meh 7%
Pacific What? 11%

I love Pacific Rim!

How do you feel about Pacific Rim?

FYI There's only one right answer.

• 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Dislike. It was pretty boring in my opinion. Didn't hate it, but it does annoy me that people think this bland, paper thin plotted movie is SO much better then Transformers.

Also, anyone who wants to point out how garbage Transformers is, go ahead, but I will disagree with you. The Transformers movies were all pretty entertaining to me, minus certain moments in 2.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

It was alright. Nothing fantastic, nothing bad, just kind of alright.

EDIT: It is definitely better than Transformers though which is trash.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Barrock

@liquidprince said:

Dislike. It was pretty boring in my opinion. Didn't hate it, but it does annoy me that people think this bland, paper thin plotted movie is SO much better then Transformers.

Also, anyone who wants to point out how garbage Transformers is, go ahead, but I will disagree with you. The Transformers movies were all pretty entertaining to me, minus certain moments in 2.

Transformers isn't garbage for it's action. It's garbage because of the humor written for six year old boys.

I'm fine watching big things fight. I'm not listening to 2 hours and 30 minutes of shit, piss, and racist jokes.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By I_smell

The front half of it felt like when I used to watch anime, and the back half of it felt like when I used to watch GhostBusters, or Honey I Shrunk The Kids or some other big dumb, corny adventure.

It was a good bit o fun.

I watched Real Steel last year and I enjoyed that.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@barrock said:

@liquidprince said:

Transformers isn't garbage for it's action. It's garbage because of the humor written for six year old boys.

There was some pretty good chuckle worthy moments, but it was never a comedy in the first place. The only really "bad" humor was in two, and even that was mostly limited to the ass cheeks of Totoro and the robot balls. Everything else was fine.

In terms of action, Michael Bay and Zack Snyder are the best directors. There's movies are visual eye candy and a joy to watch.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

From the trailer I expected it to be really gray and slow n boring, but whatever, those robots were pretty agile and all those crazy monsters were giant nuclear Street-Sharks.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaLe

I felt it was better than what I personally expected it to be, but not as good as many others make it out to be.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

I didn't think it was awesome although I did enjoy it, and it's perfectly alright to like Transformers movies - maybe it's just me though, but I couldn't tell what was happening during the fights in Transformers. The camera was shaking so much and cutting away every other second that I literally could not make heads or tails of who is who during the fight or what they're even doing.

Pacific Rim had a lot slower fighting so I mainly enjoyed it cause I clearly saw what was going on during the action scenes. Although the fact that it always happened at night and water splashing everywhere also got a bit annoying.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Ruiner

Great if you like action. Awful if you care at all about likable characters or good dialog. I give it props for being an original property and a real passion project for Del Toro and not just some cash grab/reboot. But I can't really get into a movie if i don't like the characters. 7.1 outta 10.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@barrock said:

@liquidprince said:

I'm fine watching big things fight. I'm not listening to 2 hours and 30 minutes of shit, piss, and racist jokes.

Pacific Rim has heart, and all of the "badness" feels extremely deliberate. Transformers shares none of these qualities.

Invadernny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Invadernny

I do like robots punching monsters, and would be fine with the human cheese if it didn't take up so much of the movie. Charlie Day and Ron Perlman got the only scenes I had any interest in that didn't have giant things getting the shit beat out of them. It almost seems like their lines were written by completely different people than the other human characters. But, I had a pretty fun time watching the flick so I would say I liked it well enough. Also Sword Deployed is my new favorite phrase.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it. I could've done without the 45 minutes of bad characterization in the first half. That shit was just boring. But then you get to watch a giant robot hit a huge monster with a supertanker, so fuck everything I guess, this movie is amazing.

Also, ELBOW ROCKET!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I might have upgraded from Like to Love if the talky bit after the first fight was maybe 5-10 minutes shorter.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went into the cinema expecting to have heaps of fun, and I wasn't disappointed. It was equally dumb and incredible. The characters could have used some more depth. I just couldn't stand the "Australian" accents they tried to get away with. Just terrible.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Pacific Rim wasn't amazing, but it hit all its story beats, explored its themes of human connection and consciousness and had constant surprises with its fights, but parts of the second act seemed less than relevant to the immediate plot and the fast cuts and art design sometimes made it hard to clearly understand what we were being shown.

But its miles more competent than Transformers with its arbitrary plot devices, annoying characters, tongue tied visual language and schizophrenic tone.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Stete

The jaeger/kaiju fights were nothing short of phenomenal. But that was 25% of the movie. The rest of it was just some interesting concepts and ideas which were greatly overshadowed by cringeworthy dialogue and predictable character exposition. Yes, that was intentional, but still that doesn't make it enjoyable. Plus there was wayyyy too much emphasis on Gypsy Danger, the rest of the Jaegers are really under used.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Pacific Rim made me feel like a kid again. I walked out of there with a big dumb grin thinking how fucking rad it would be to pilot a Jaeger and fight monsters. Few, if any, movies have ever done that for me. I love it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I liked it, didn't love it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EXTomar

Pacific Rim is best "super hero movie" of the summer.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda want to punch everyone who bemoans Pacific Rim because 'the dialogue is terrible' or something along the lines of 'the characters are super thin.'

The film is the robot's fighting, and it knows it. Everything else is just context for the fighting. If the dialogue was fantastic, and the characters reduced everyone to tears because of their 'human plight' or whatever, then no-one could take the robot fights as unrealistic as they need to be. And the dialogue wasn't even that bad, anyway! It was fine! Utilitarian and workmanlike, sure, but it wasn't bad. It got the job done, and set the tone well. The dialogue was silly and over-the-top, but that's exactly the kind of tone they wanted the rest of the film to embody.

Good dialogue and characters = realistic world = world that doesn't feel right having giant robots fighting aliens in it. Suspect dialogue and characters = ridiculous world = world that you just roll with having giant robots fight aliens.

It's got problems, sure enough, but I loved it. That film made me happy; there's no other way to say it.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By gaminghooligan

I'm firmly on the like here.