• 66 results
#51 Posted by MiniPato (2992 posts) -

I dunno, can robots have moods that vary each day? Can robots forgive and forget?

There's a lot more to human emotion and being alive than "IF PERSON = ASSHOLE. Then EMOTION = MAD."

#52 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7038 posts) -

I've seen Ghost in the Shell so many times that I'm convinced this question has no definitive answer.

That said, my answer is yes.

#53 Posted by Shirogane (3647 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

I dunno, can robots have moods that vary each day? Can robots forgive and forget?

There's a lot more to human emotion and being alive than "IF PERSON = ASSHOLE. Then EMOTION = MAD."

Uh huh, human emotions are more like "IF Random value = some value EMOTION = MAD"

#54 Edited by kindgineer (3102 posts) -

@Incapability said:

I believe the word you're looking for is sentient.

And no. Extremely advanced? Yep.

Sentient?

Nah.

Pretty much this. I enjoy reading some of the peoples comments in here that compare the human brain to the computer. Yeah, you can make that broad assumption, but it's a little pre-mature to begin comparing the two together with the amount of knowledge we have on them.

#55 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2150 posts) -

After playing through Mass Effect and recently Persona 4 Arena, I have to say yes it's very much possible. Will we as humans ever be capable of such a thing is another matter however.

#56 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5150 posts) -
Tachikoma, never forget.
Tachikoma, never forget.
#57 Edited by MrKlorox (11164 posts) -

If you're asking whether they'll evolve and generate properties unique to their lifeforms that help propagate their species (much like our lifeforms have evolved emotions and concepts such as cuteness), then absolutely. That is, if we discover how to create technology that evolves itself and rewrites its own code, be it randomly or with specific intent. And don't destroy it.

If you mean, will they ever have OUR emotions, then that's different. If they're left to their own devices and want to coexist with humanity, then they'll pretty much have to evolve some sort of facsimile that's compatible with ours, won't they?

edit: Also, robot means worker. So if I take the topic literally, then I would have to answer no. Giving a robot sentience would make it a slave.

#58 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

I hope not. I don't want my sexbot to suddenly have annoying things like "sentience" and "rights".

#59 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

i would say yes. some time in the next 50 years of nothing happens. maybe not beep beep, i'm a robot. things move. cars are starting to have parking assistance in cars. there are robots with controls that humans can use.

#60 Edited by Kerm1t (1 posts) -

I might sound really stupid but at least I know what I’m trying to say. It’s like god creating humans. And humans creating things that imitate us. Having a soul does not mean we’re are alive. Plants don’t have a fucking soul but it’s A L I V E. It’s just different from a human. Very different buts it’s alive. It eats, grows and change like humans do. If these androids like from that Detroit Become Human game in real life one day talk , eat , grow , and changes. It is alive. Just a imitation of humans but a soulless being that Is alive.

It’s also a very intelligent form of life.

#61 Posted by Tom_omb (1044 posts) -

Aside from being made from cells it's possible for a robot to display the other six characteristics of life. Even then the systems in a robot could be considered cells of a kind. Being "alive" isn't that hard to accomplish and has nothing to do with emotion. For example, an amoeba is alive but probably further from sentience than a modern AI.

As far as a robot becoming sentient I don't have a clue. I don't know enough about AI to know whether or not it is possible.

This. Plus the only evidence we have for "sentience" is our self awareness as individuals. It's not something we can scientifically define right now. It's the realm of science fiction until then. But, very much possible in human machines, I believe. The concept of a soul even harder to define as it has spiritual or faith based implications.

#62 Edited by HarbinLights (179 posts) -

Considering that they will probably someday be replacement bodies for us, I would say yes.

#63 Posted by Naoiko (1651 posts) -

No because they lack a soul. However if something has intelligence I will always try and treat it with kindness and respect. Because even if it's not 'alive' it still might have some form of feelings, and frankly I refuse to be mean even to AI.

#64 Edited by HarbinLights (179 posts) -

@likeassur said:

No.

If you lack a soul, you are not alive. Don't give me any BS about how the brain is just a bunch of electric signals, because it's clearly a lot more than that. There's a certain flair that we humans have that no other living thing has yet to replicate, so certainly we won't be able to make such a creation.

Life is sadly not a a video game. There is no such thing as a soul. There's no more evidence for the human soul than there is evidence I can become a Black Mage and cast Fire IV without the help of a flamethrower.

As for the idea that humans are "special", that's no more than ego based anthropocentrism. It has no basis in reality.

@naoiko said:

No because they lack a soul. However if something has intelligence I will always try and treat it with kindness and respect. Because even if it's not 'alive' it still might have some form of feelings, and frankly I refuse to be mean even to AI.

Like Ghosts, Zombies, Youkai, Black Mages, Level Ups, Summon Magick, Lifestream, Healing Crystals, Magic Cake, Alien PSI, and Pocket Monsters,Souls only exist in video games.

#65 Posted by sodapop7 (651 posts) -

No I don't think so, seems fairly arrogant to think we could create life in that fashion.

#66 Posted by HarbinLights (179 posts) -

@sodapop7 said:

No I don't think so, seems fairly arrogant to think we could create life in that fashion.

I don't think it's too arrogant, considering there's nothing scientific or technological preventing us.

Though, most likely, when we are able to create such a thing, it won't be separate from, and will be merged into our own consciousness.

#67 Posted by Whitestripes09 (910 posts) -

I think it's a lot more complicated than what people believe and the whole use of the word 'AI' is more of a buzzword than anything by companies. Nor do I believe that companies really want to make something that is 'alive' because that entails addressing ethical questions. What they really want is a work force that has the elasticity to learn and be more efficient than humans at less of a cost to them. Better if they can design it themselves too without having to buy from others.

The whole notion of there suddenly being a moment in which someone creates a computer that is so advanced that it becomes sentient is silly to me. Because we don't really understand what being 'sentient' really is or what is consciousness. What we do know is that the brain is not like a computer at all. It doesn't store all information and wait for it to be accessed. Your 'memories' and past events are jumbled up into your mind with very small percentage of people being able to recall what they do on a daily basis, let alone what they did on a specific date on a specific year, unless it was some real life changing event that was different than normal. That type of memory recalling is just not applicable to our daily life nor is it useful in nature.

What is useful, is being able to have abstract memories of an event that can then be applied to the present, I.E., learning. This is useful in nature because repeated successful actions allow you to create a connection in the firing of neurons and synapses in your brain, which are then learned and can be applied later. However, they have to be complex enough that we remember them. Like riding a bike is something complex that once learned and is pretty likely that you're going to remember for a long time. If they are not complex, then we tend to forget them or even erase them as they are just not applicable anymore. Children learn a lot because everything is a new experience to them and even their perception of time is different because of this. Adults and beyond tend to perceive time as going faster because they don't pay attention to a lot of daily fluff because they have just experienced it so many times that their minds basically perceive it as not useful anymore.

So will we ever be able to replicate the complexity of a living brain? I imagine waaay waaaaaay in the future, probably. For what reason though? I do not know other than to say we did. It's definitely not a near future thing though.

In fact, I think we have bigger problems of autonomous machines destroying the workforce, but then again, that's just the normal course with technological advancement. We just have to adapt to that in some way.