[POLL] World Domination Games: Earth Maps or Made Up Maps?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By crusader8463
No Caption Provided
When playing games like Civilization/Risk, or any strategy game on a global scale, do you prefer playing maps that are designed around Earth and the territories of whatever time it's set in, or do you prefer maps that are made up but designed to be balanced and fun?

When it comes to something like Civ/Risk I always play on Earth maps for my first few games, but after I have the basic down I find myself always going for the pre-made stuff or the randomly generated maps. I just find that Earth maps get kind of predictable after a while, just because we know where everything is most of the time, even if it's covered by the fog of war, so it's kind of hard to get unique games going on them a lot of the time.
WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I enjoy both. Certain games work better with legit places and other times I just feel like taking over an unexisting place and destroying their society.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crusader8463

Great... now I want to reinstall Civilization 5 and play that some more. Curse you mind and your random thread ideas!

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Dingofighter

I like both pretty much equally, though I often want to try out an earth map first to see how it is.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

I prefer Earth maps because the areas are familiar and I can visualize the circumstances that led to the conflict easier.  Fake maps don't drawn me in as much.  I do think I could be satisfied with a fake map if it was for a world I understood more, though.  Say an Axis & Allies game that took place in Warcraft's Azeroth or Tamriel from the Elder Scrolls.  

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By damodar

I voted for made up maps. In a game like Civ, I like to not know what's out there at all beyond the fog of war. I think it works better in the context of the game, too. Your civilisation has no idea what's out there, but they gradually expand etc. I think it also makes becoming sea-faring that much more of an important step.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By RJMacReady

Knowing teh terrain before hand gives you a strategic knowledge that sometimes it's fun to have to earn. Also games with procedurally generated terrain seem to, at least to me, keep the game from going stale as fast.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'd say I like different things in different scenarios. Having the world set out like Earth is cool and all but there's only so many times you can play that map before the novelty of it wears off.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

Earth maps, I love invading places I know. 

Now if I could make a video Game version of my hometown.... Hmmm
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still waiting for a game with the Niagara falls in it how cool would it be to go down it on canoe or something.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By xpgamer7

Can't beat imagination on earth. Still creative maps are fun.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Animasta

I think I like both equally: Europa Universalis 3 wouldn't be what it is without real life maps, but I do like the made up maps of civ.

EvilConker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilConker

Unless its Civ, I like Earth Maps more.

Typically, Diplomacy can strike a balance between both, because it tends to be a zoomed in theater rather then the entire earth, with different time periods.

Risk is as balanced as you are good at picking starting locations.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

Earth maps take the surprise out of exploration. Weirdly enough, though, they tend to be the most balanced maps.