Pop culture of today you think will not age well

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thrillhouse87

While some music/films/games hold up like a fine wine, and is just as good today as when it came out, others that was great at the time seems ridiculously dated now. So what will future generations look back to the 2010s (have we decided what to call this decade yet?) and kind of laugh at? And I don't mean Transformers and Justin Bieber, I mean the stuff that is generally loved/critically acclaimed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have a feeling that the things without fame will gain fame in the future, whereas the famous things will be forgotten.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's already happening but, dub step ...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4
deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet streaming options will be so plentiful and great in 30 years that Netflix will seem laughably obsolete. But it's really hard to tell what will/won't stand the test of time.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Family guy

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Memes.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

The masses like The Big Bang Theory, but I feel like popular opinion will turn on that show once it goes off the air. Because it's pretty corny and dumb.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I don't see pogs lasting into the next decade, sadly. Same goes for devil sticks and Furby, if I'm gonna be blunt here

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@bisonhero: that show sounded like a great premise but is so so terribly executed. Corny and dumb is the perfect description. People say that's what it's going for, but even so it executes it in such a terrible manner, in my opinion.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By vaiz

All of it. We're the fucking 80's of the 2000's. Okay, that's stupid, but what I mean is in like 20 years everything that is popular now will be ironically popular and lampooned. People will think of dubstep like they think of 80's synth. A throwback FPS game with mad bass drops will be the analog to Far Cry Blood Dragon and its retro synth soundtrack.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11 FinalDasa  Moderator

Technology never ages well.

Even 10 year old cell phones, TVs, or PCs looks way aged now. Even seeing someone with a dedicated MP3 player seems strange let alone a flip phone or a CRT TV.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

All of it. We're the fucking 80's of the 2000's. Okay, that's retarded, but what I mean is in like 20 years everything that is popular now will be ironically popular and lampooned. People will think of dubstep like they think of 80's synth. A throwback FPS game with mad bass drops will be the analog to Far Cry Blood Dragon and its retro synth soundtrack.

Yeah, but the 80's were fucking RAD as fuck. Now the 90's....thats the time period that I wince every time I see any sort of media from the early 90's.

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Thrillhouse87

Don't people already listen to dubstep ironically?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the point of "pop" culture. If it had any longevity, it wouldn't be "pop", it would just be "culture". However, you can safely bet that in a decade, right now will be generally loathed. In two decades, it'll be retro-chic. After that, it'll just be novelty - halloween costumes and frat parties.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Consoles.

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

social media?

Mallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smartwatches

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

2009's Avatar. Once you get past the CG, that movie is one of the most generic films of all time.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Harkat

the current wave of deep house/nu-disco is gonna be the smooth jazz of the future

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of it. We're the fucking 80's of the 2000's. Okay, that's retarded, but what I mean is in like 20 years everything that is popular now will be ironically popular and lampooned. People will think of dubstep like they think of 80's synth. A throwback FPS game with mad bass drops will be the analog to Far Cry Blood Dragon and its retro synth soundtrack.

Except everything about the 80s is still glorious.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

75% of everything that is super popular now will be considered terrible in 10 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark said:

I know it's already happening but, dub step ...

Dubstep hasn't been relevant for a couple years now. Died out to prog house and glitch hop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: YOU BASTARD. I forgot about chocolate rain....

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, but the 80's were fucking RAD as fuck. Now the 90's....thats the time period that I wince every time I see any sort of media from the early 90's.

Don't you remember Burger King'z X-TREEEEEME whopper? Thoze were x-cellent! You could alwayz find out more using AOL keywordz, too.

The late 80's and early 90's were a weird time. All the girls had giant poofy bangs and all the guys had rat tails.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spraynardtatum

Nearly all of it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Pop culture is dead.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This thread.

BOOM

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By cornbredx

I'd say there is an audience for Transformers and Justin Beiber. Otherwise those things wouldn't make money. So obviously those do count even though you and I don't like them. Their audience will either recognize the foolishness or they'll look back fondly on them. There's nothing wrong with that- again even if it's not for you or me (although I suspect Transformers will not hold up for anybody- those are boring movies all told).

I'd add to that list Twilight, most of the movies in that franchise came out post 2010, even if the first didn't, so I think it counts.

I'm not hip anymore, having been 28 in 2010, so I don't know what else a lot of people are fond of that may not age well in the future. Interestingly post 2010 there's been a ton of things in film that interest me again. Marvel finally getting more say in their films (and thus a better selection of them will be made now), film makers that have the nostalgia I do are making movies now (so video games are influencing film more, which we're only on the cusp of right now), and some of the MST3K guys are still riffing and you can go see it in theatres- they're really good still I might add.

So, I don't know. A lot of things people are mentioning here are not so much pop culture as marketting of pop culture which I never liked. Adding Zs like on those playstation underground thing on Demo Derby- that was NEVER cool! No one I knew, nor I, ever did that. Not even ironically. I'd say it's mentioned more in this thread than it ever was between friends in the 90s.

So, I don't know. It's hard to even say what doesn't hold up from the 80s and 90s for me- I even ironically enjoy watching commercials from the 90s just because of the nostalgia. My nostalgia clouds most of it. The XMEN cartoon is still awesome imo, the sitcom TV shows I used to watch (like Home Improvement) are still funny to me, most of the movies I liked as a kid hold up (surprisingly Jumanji does not though, ya'll), and the music I liked then I still like now. Fuck the haters, Slipknot is still awesome and they have a new CD coming out soon.

So what will hold up from the 2010s? Fuck if I know. I won't have nostalgia for it so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. Maybe ask a 13 year old in 5 years (when he or she is 18) what he or she doesn't think holds up for him or her anymore. That might get you a better picture.

I answered this question terribly. It got me thinking, though, which I enjoyed.

I think it'd be easier for me to guess what will hold up. I suspect those Marvel movies will, for example.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Reality shows don't age well. No one wants to watch old episodes of Survivor or American Idol. They're kind of like sporting events in that only the most recent holds viewers attention. The cable channel, TruTV started from the premise of airing old episodes of shows like Big Brother and such, but today they have their own original programming because the life span of a reality program is very short.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nictel

So what will future generations look back to the 2010s (have we decided what to call this decade yet?) and kind of laugh at?

I can answer both questions with a single answer: The tweens.

I bet it is

@mallo said:

Smartwatches

and the fact that we thought that VR would really take off now. Also phablets.

In pop culture: Who is Lady Gaga again?

Also I would bet that one of the big IT companies is probably gone. So take your bets on Google, Apple, Microsoft or Facebook.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ZolRoyce

HEY YOU GUYS REMEMBER THE HARLEM SHAKE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO INTERNET MEEEEEEMESSSSSSSS CHOCOLATE RAIIIIIN LETS AUTOTUNE EVERYTHING IT'S FUNNY

WOOOOO! And Now I'm reacting to what you posted! WOOOOOOOO! Look at me make silly faces while I watch your original content! WOOP WOOP WOOP I'M BEING SILLY ON THE INTERNET, I'M SO FULL OF LOLS! QUICK CUT QUICK CUT QUICK CUT QUICK CUT! I'M BEING RANDOOOOOOOOM!

As far as video games go though, I notice that the ones that don't age well for me, are the ones that have really uncomfortable controls, just the ones you pick up and go "this is so counter intuitive or hard to figure out" so there are certain games now that try to experiment with their controls and to their credit do work really well sometimes but their control schemes or just their general way of handling is different or off. I feel like those may not age well.
For instance I was playing inFamous 1 and 2 recently and the controls work in such a way that you'll try to jump to something to grab it and he'll completely miss or grab something you didn't want and it happens again and again, I can see that going the way of how the old Tomb Raiders are looked at where you just want Lara to jump but she wont jump for what you want her to jump for god damn you Lara!"
The Assassins Creed controls are a little out of the box with having to hold down different buttons for running/climbing or fighting stances, maybe that wont be looked at as good either. And if anybody has played Gears of War recently, the running system in that game is duuuuuuuuuuuumb, your character folds himself in half and can only run in a straight line.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe that recent daft punk album?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@bisonhero said:

The masses like The Big Bang Theory, but I feel like popular opinion will turn on that show once it goes off the air. Because it's pretty corny and dumb.

I like corny and dumb things, and not just ironically.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikeeegeee

Phone design. Definitely phone design. I think the culture surrounding phones will persist (absent, mindless people looking down all the time) and become more pronounced, but the new iPhone is going to look fucking stupid in a decade or two. Meanwhile, my dumbphone flip phone will see a surge in popularity as it becomes a sort of retro chic...

Completely off topic, but I think the rise of this "phone culture," in conjunction with social media, will have a long lasting, profound psychological impact. Humans are changing how they interact, we are gradually becoming less social, and I expect those trends to manifest themselves in unexpected ways, even going so far as to create an increase in depression and other mental illness.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

We don't get to decide. Your kids when they are 20 decided what was cool when you were 10. That's how it works, generations are 30 years apart; heck, with people having kids later generation might be 40 years apart. It takes a good long time for something to be cool/rediscovered again. My grand-kids will like acid wash jeans, Jamms, Swatches and there is NOTHING I will be able to do about it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I always thought selfies were the stupidest pop culture trends to happen out of social media.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#43  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

That extremely autotuned wailing music is out of style already I guess, but I'm pretty sure nobody will be remembering that stuff fondly.

I also kinda doubt that people will go back and enjoy the modern warfare era Call of Duty games, I already think most of them feel rather dated.

Oh. And QR code tattoos.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to say that people saying that people won't look kindly on dubstep are dead wrong. A lot of the late period dubstep/EDM, and the pop songs with dubstep breakdowns, that got produced after it went massively global will fade into obscurity, but people will look back on the good stuff with fondness, making it not eligible - I understood this thread to be about stuff that would be derided, right?

I'm not (just) saying this as a fan of the genre; the precedent is there in 2step Garage and even Grime: when people say UK Garage they don't think of Dane Bowers embarassment Buggin, they think of Groove Chronicles' banger Stone Cold (or maybe Shanks and Bigfoot but fuck you sweet like chocolate is a classic).

peterdotorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The term YOLO will seem even more ludicrous when reincarnation is scientifically proven.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TED Talks, maybe? Optimistic Futurism and self-aggrandizing will probably seem pretty outdated when the water wars become a big deal.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lab392

Skrillex hair and its derivative forms are going to be our mullets.

If you have this hairstyle right now, cease as soon as possible.