Preacher: the Divine Thread

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Haven't seen a proper discussion thread for this, so far, amazing show, so I thought someone had to take up the holy mantle and light this shit on fire.

* Spoilers are expected *

Well, what do I think of it so far? I love it. I honestly think it is the best attempt at a comic-book story. Only two episodes in, and the team seems to do a nice balance between respecting the fans of source material, and luring conventional viewers with mystery that is yet to make sense (throwing in Saint of Killers like that was awesome). The directions characters a walking plot-wise are different yet refreshing as well.

The soundtrack so far: ON POINT.

Cinematography: Breaking-Bad levels.

Fun level: Lots

For those who have been watching the show, what do y'all think of it so far? I know I might be a bit biased base on my love for the comics, but the treatment for the source material has been above anything I expected so far. Preacher is proving to be an awesome show for both sides of the spectrum.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friend who is a huge Preacher fan thinks it can't be done justice on AMC, looks upon this with disgust and wants nothing to do with it.

I may give it a shot.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cinematography: Breaking-Bad levels.

That is all I needed to hear to give this a watch!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's been a long ass time since I've read the comics, but I'm loving what I've seen of the show so far.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friend who is a huge Preacher fan thinks it can't be done justice on AMC, looks upon this with disgust and wants nothing to do with it.

I may give it a shot.

I wasn't in that far-side circle, but I was worried at first that AMC did not know what kind of challenge they were getting themselves into when it came to making Preacher.

It seems like that circle of haters have no idea just how die-hard fans the creators are of the comics, because they are doing justice, and in there own way to boot. And who knew Seth Rogen could direct?

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: i thought he was a producer (which can still be very improtant) and not a director for the show. I guess i'm wrong?

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrailx: So far he's only directed the pilot episode, but an executive producer overall.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My girlfriend loved the comic and has loved the show so far. I'm glad she recognized it as something that could be interesting because I'm enjoying it quite a bit too and had never heard of it before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I read the first run of the comics and loved it. The show is good but doing it's own thing-a lot of variance from the comics. I loved the directing and cinematography of the first ep, the second was a little lacking though. Interested to see where they take it.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I watched the first two episodes tonight and I love it. I had heard of the graphic novel but never read it so I don't have any ideas as to how it should be.

It's one of those shows I wish I hadn't started watching until it had all aired so I could just marathon it.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

It's taking enough steps to modernize. My biggest worry was it would still be wrapped up in the 90's cheesy machismo that oozes from the comics. As great as Ruth Negga is at Tulip, the character has only one reason to interact with Jesse, and I hope she gets fleshed out more.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm liking it so far, but I'm not feeling Jesse yet. I hope he gets better but so far I think he's the least convincing (acting wise) compared to Tulip, Cassidy and even Arseface.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I cant recall the graphic novels all that much anymore so its kinda like seeing it for the first time, but I thought its been outstanding so far.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

They are doing a great job with the spirit of the comics instead of trying to just re-create them. And Ruth Negga is awesome I laughed way to hard at "Did Jesus take your wheel?"

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just watched the pilot and LOVED it, don't know if the quality keeps up from here but I'm definitely gonna follow it on a weekly basis.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Seems absolutely crazy to try to tackle Preacher in a TV series. I checked the trailer and it looks nondescript.

I might check this out, but I love the comics and don't see how a TV series could add anything. Still, seeing the attempt could turn out interesting anyways.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Four episodes deep, and I'm starting to feel uneasy about things.

The show seems like it has taken two swinging steps with the first two episodes, and has caught itself in mud.

Jesse's character is taking a very long time to flesh out or develop ever since he received the Voice, and everyone seems to be anchored down by his progression. With the end of episode four having Heaven finally calling the two idiot Angels, I feel a little bit more confident that things will pick up. I know it is a huge challenge for anyone trying to turn the comic into a show, but you'll get no sympathy from me if the show bogs down. Let's see how things turn out this Sunday.

ONE THING:

The introduction to the Saint of Killers was awesomely eerie.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero connection to the graphic novel/comic, never heard about it until this show, the teasers and trailers leading up to it seemed kind of silly to me.
But it was on, I gave it a shot and so far I am loving it.
It's really fun, its well made, the characters are great the vampire dude fighting a plane full of people and leaping out was a really cool scene.

I look forward to seeing where it's going with all of this, they are throwing in characters left and right so I'm not seeing an ultimate goal yet besides people just clashing with each other. But so far so good, it was a pleasant surprise.

Wwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: I kinda feel the same way. But I also wonder if my 30+ self would like it as much as my 19yr old self. Preacher has some real fucked up shit happen in it. I don't think AMC will have a midget Neo-Nazi stroke his meat while stroking his meat while the main character looks on in disgust while wearing an SS uniform the BSDM secretary put on him. Also all of Jessies past is mega fucked and he has a zippo lighter that says "fuck communism" that was given to his father by The Duke. Everything Herr Star does. Holy shit. The buggery detectives.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So hey, this show's fucking awesome. Like, Fargo season two levels of awesome. Different of course, but so much goddamn fun.

Right of the bat, not the sort of style and story I was expecting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I like how they seemingly spent the first season building to the big church scene from the beginning of the comic. I think the liberties they have taken from the comic so far have been smart and fit into a cable series far better than I expected.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoo boy! Those last 30 minutes of the Preacher season finale. Just wow! I really liked that cover of Blind Melon's No Rain.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok: It was an awesome finale, like, holy hell. I really hope people are enjoying this show as I want to see more. I had no idea what to expect going in and it was fantastic television.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably my favorite show since lost. Definitely the only thing I've had the patience to watch week to week in years.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

God damn, that was incredible. I knew the end result would be his whole congregation being killed because the review I saw for episode one had a dude in it who was all "oh it's so weird that they're showing so much of his congregation because he accidentally gets them all killed in the beginning of the comic," but I didn't expect it to be quite like that. Fucking fantastic.

Great characters, some wonderfully absurd elements, genuinely funny, good action, interesting subject matter. Just good stuff all around. Excited not just for their quest to help/beat up God, but also to see how White Suit McSnuffyfilm figures into everything. Dude was ominous as fuck and then just disappeared for the rest of the season.

I dunno, this show might've broken into my top 5. I gotta watch the last season of Penny Dreadful and see what's up. Then to also have Mr. Robot and The Night Of going on as well. Man. TV's great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was shocked to find out a lot of people hated Preacher because it doesn't strictly follow the comic. Some even going so far as to call the season finale a mess. I don't get it but nerds can be very spiteful especially when it comes to perceived slights against stuff they loved as a kid so better not to engage them. I don't even want to read the comments on the casting of Tulip O'Hare. Personally I think the comic was a product of its time and can be hard to read now with modern sensibilities. Plus you have to take into account what can realistically be shown on a basic cable budget and what you can get away with through standards and practices. That said I thought this first season dragged a bit at times in the middle but nowhere near as bad as The Walking Dead's second season. I also think it was smart to take time and flesh out the backstories of our three protagonist before they set off on a road trip to find God.

I think my favorite part of the first season was how they set up the Saint of Killers backstory as his own personal repeating Hell.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to watch the season finale today, but overall this has been a good first season with some rough spots. For about the first half of the season, the writers didn't seem to know how to make Jesse interesting and center of attention as the main character, which was a bit annoying. There were certain subplots that didn't matter, and I felt like, for as charming and lovable as Tulip's character was, she felt pretty one-noted and not very well developed.

But, Preacher's first season was fun and wacky. It nearly collapsed under its own weight in trying to deliver this epic tale, but the show pulled through (so far for me) with flair and colorful characters. It's in my top five for sure, but there are other shows that rank above it for me so far this year; including Stranger Things (OF COURSE), The Night of (FUCK YEAH OF COURSE), The Americans, and Outcast. And for those who are interested in comic-based shows, Outcast is pretty worthy of your time.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it, don't have any experience in regards to the comic. Enjoyed the kinda crazy story and characters (especially enjoy seeing Dominic Cooper being able to act, after having only seen him in Warcraft where he seemed to just sleepwalk through the whole thing. Not that I blame him...). Had some good laughs and shivery moments with the season finale, one of the best ones I've seen.

Though if there's one thing that bothers me (not in a bad way, really), it's that I don't really know if there's suppose to be something crazy happening in the world they live in and if everyone is *sorta* aware of it? Some reveals seem to surprise people (like Cassidy being a vampire), but then they seem to accept all of it after a few moments and that's that...and what was up with Tulip crafting up an RPG out of toys or whatever the hell she did to take out that chopper in the pilot?