Projects - Stealth Ruggedized Monitor

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

I was thinking for $12.00 I could buy this, take all the guts out, then squeeze in a 7" LED backlit screen. I have always liked electronics with big chucky knobs and dials. I suppose it you can jam a screen in the front, there is no reason why a NUC or Raspberry Pi computer couldn't be rigged in the back. A tote-able computer or Retro-Station.

Sadly, I have too many projects still not done to start another...but this is a project for the back pocket for sure.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By artofwar420

Won't the actual innards be worth something though? Cathode tubes aren't being manufactured anymore as far as I know. I'd keep it all together as a unit unless it definitely doesn't work. Maybe I'm just being a fiend for maintaining old tech alive haha.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

@warofart said:

Won't the actual innards be worth something though? Cathode tubes aren't being manufactured anymore as far as I know. I'd keep it all together as a unit unless it definitely doesn't work. Maybe I'm just being a fiend for maintaining old tech alive haha.

That is always the conundrum catch-22; conserve or repurpose. If it didn't work at all, ike the picture tube was not working and everything seemed fried, I don't think it matters much. I'm of the opinion if the TV still worked, I would keep it together as a show piece. But only if ist were broken would I take it appear, and even then it might just be to 3D scan the chasse to 3D print a case for a project.

Its weird to think that analog terrestrial TV is nearly gone, making these little tvs and many other not able to do their primary function.