Psychics, Ghosts and Aliens...believe it or not.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Omega

Okay. We have had tonnes of  debates on this board so I thought I'd inject something a little different. Lets discuss the pseudo-sciences. This includes, but not limited to:

-Aliens
-Psychics and pet psychics
-Ghosts
-Cryptozoology (big foot, chupacabre etc.)
-Talking to the dead (ouija boards)

And why not talk about a few Religious phenomena just for fun:

-signs from god (face in grilled cheese)
-holy rollers
-speaking in tongues

Personally I believe in none of it except for aliens (and by aliens I mean possible sentient life on other planets in other galaxies.) I don't think any intergalactic foreigners have ever come here and snatched up our rural farm folk.

But I'm curious what everyone else thinks.
And if anyone else thinks of anything I've missed feel free to add it to the thread.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I believe probability dictates the existence of sentient life forms (by our definition? I'm not sure) in other galaxies. Other than that, nothing on those lists is something I'm remotely close to believing the existence of.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Otacon

Well the Drake Equation tends to show my views on if there is other life in existence, parred with the fact that we don't know the nature of the universe. I don't believe in any of the other things listed.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By brukaoru

I believe in God, but the "faces in grill cheese" thing is pretty silly. That's just like Jackson Pollock's paintings, going for ridiculous amounts of money because people "see things in them." Ugh. So dumb.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Clean

I think God's cool but those ghosts are probably actually angels are lost souls stuck in purgatory.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By hazelnutman

I believe there is life in space, except it has reached such a point of intelligence and convenience that it does not have a tangible form anymore.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By OGCartman

I definately believe in life forms in other galaxies and stuff.
Anyone who knows a trillionth of the size of the universe would think its absurd to think that we are the only life forms.

Ghosts and Signs from God, i dont think so.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By adam_grif

Life on extrasolar planets, certainly. Intelligent life is probably rare (by rare I mean probably only a few hundred worlds sporting it per galaxy), but life itself is unlikely to be. The universe is vast however, so the chances that intelligent life has managed to travel here is practically 0. It is also possible that intelligent life simply does not develop tool building societies except in rare cases, so although you may have intelligent life like dolphins on many worlds, you might not have human-like technology very often. Another possibility is that we are simply the first or a very early form of intelligent life, and that others will arise later. The final likely possibility is that once a civilization reaches the technological singularity, they disappear, whether through simply nolonger caring about the external universe enough to explore it and contact other sentient life, or it results in their death. 

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By serbsta

To sum it up nicely.

I believe in A god, i believe that God is everything and everywhere, yes i was raised as a Christian but am no longer.

I believe there is plenty of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe and we could have been visited before, many times.

=]

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Gunner

I believe there are aliens. Its almost impossible for us to be the only living planet in the universe, a universe so big that there are more planets in it than there are grains of sand on a beach. There just has to be at least one other planet out there that it so advanced that they have unlocked space travel.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Verdugo

I believe in ghostly phenomena as being real, as well as Aliens and that intellegent beings exist besides on our Earth. I also believe that they have visited Earth, as in mysterious craft sightings that cannot be attributed to man-made craft on Earth.

And, just to get it out of the way:

I don't roll well with Religion, but I don't deny the possibility of a god existing. I just don't know if one does, so until it is proven, I keep my mind open to my logical reasoning.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

I believe in Aliens, because it's pretty arrogant to assume (knowing the size of our universe) that we are the only ones out there. I also believe in intelligent life forms, maybe space-faring. There are too many stories about inexplicable events witnessed by a large number of people, for all of it to be BS. Bigfoot? Plausible, although there is no (credible) evidence that supports his/her/its existence. La Chupacabra, are you serious? No. Psychics? Nope. It's called cold-reading.

God? I don't believe in the common religious conventions or the widely accepted (among religious people) theory of a god, but I'm not an atheist. I simply don't know and I'm content with that. Quiji board...

I've had a weird experience at a friends house where we were fucking around with a quiji board and a girl who was there was scared shitless because the quiji board spelled out a pet-name her dead aunt (or grandmother, I forget it was about two years ago) called her and no one else knew about. I dunno.

Everything else, I believe is pretty much tinfoil hat conspiracy.

My 2c.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I believe that value, morality, good and evil, are all concepts made up by people to give their own lives some kind of validity and to try and explain their emotions logically. Nothing has any inherent value. It doesn't matter if there is some magic fairy man running the universe or if its just a dream.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb
Bellum said:
"I believe that value, morality, good and evil, are all concepts made up by people to give their own lives some kind of validity and to try and explain their emotions logically. Nothing has any inherent value. It doesn't matter if there is some magic fairy man running the universe or if its just a dream."

Good and evil are simply perspectives, there is no good or evil. Hitler commited horrible acts, but he was not evil simply because he thought he was doing what was right. I'm not condoning his actions, I'm simply saying no one wakes up one morning and thinks that their cause is not just.

The only true evil is an evil that does not have a conscience. That can be attributed only to the mental illness known as Anti-Social Personality Disorder, aka sociopathism.
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

I cant believe is easier to believe in ghosts, psychics and aliens, that not believe in God, and we even have proof of him.
The world is worst every day =(

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"I cant believe is easier to believe in ghosts, psychics and aliens, that not believe in God, and we even have proof of him.
The world is worst every day =("

Oh? Please, do tell.
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:
"I cant believe is easier to believe in ghosts, psychics and aliens, that not believe in God, and we even have proof of him.

Oh? Please, do tell."
Do you have a baible`?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BiggerBomb
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:

Oh? Please, do tell."
Do you have a baible`?"

I've read Harry Potter. You heard it here first, Hogwarts is real.
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:

Oh? Please, do tell."
Do you have a baible`?"

I've read Harry Potter. You heard it here first, Hogwarts is real."
Ok... this is what makes the bible different from other books:
It has NOT been writen by only ONE person, like harry potter.....
The bible has been writen in a period of about 5000 years ( i m not sure, i m still learning) by various MEN.
But the main idea of the bible is THE SAME. It has many prophecys  made by the same god but writen by many different men.
My english isnt good so its hard for me to write what i know =(
But i will ask you a question:
Who is the snake that  tells eva to eat the apple?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:

Oh? Please, do tell."
Do you have a baible`?"

The bible has been writen in a period of about 5000 years ( i m not sure, i m still learning) by various MEN.
But the main idea of the bible is THE SAME. It has many prophecys  made by the same god but writen by many different men.
Who is the snake that  tells eva to eat the apple?"

Lucifer, aka the devil. Your point being?
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Solid_SnakeXx said:

Oh? Please, do tell."
Do you have a baible`?"

Who is the snake that  tells eva to eat the apple?"

Lucifer, aka the devil. Your point being?"

There is not a parograph in the book of Genesis that says that the snake was the evil
how can you say that the snake was the devil?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BiggerBomb
Solid_SnakeXx said:
There is not a parograph in the book of Genesis that says that the snake was the evil
how can you say that the snake was the devil?"

I've never read the bible and I don't see how the garden of eden story has anything to do with your argument that somehow the bible is proof of a god.
thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thanatos990

there probly are aliens out there but they havent seen or even know of earth, just like we dont know them

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Omega

Okay there are a few "is god real" debates breaking out so I wanna just try and explain that part of my original post a bit better.

I'm not asking whether you believe in god. (Though if you feel the need to tell everyone go ahead.) I'm more interested in what people think is true of religious phenomenon.

Signs from heaven (jesus's face in a tree, or a statue crying blood, stigmata etc.)
Holy rollers (the people that seizure, roll and jump around because they are possessed by the holy spirit.)
Speaking in tongues (speaking a divine language.)
Faith healing
and other such phenomenon.

I would very much prefer that we don't start debating the existence of god because as I said before there are plenty of other threads to do so in. We all know Solid_snakeXx, Brukaoru and Serbsta believe in god, we all know Adam_grif, and I are athiest and Biggerbomb and Verdugo are somewhere inbetween.  Why do we know that? Because we heard it all a hundred times before. What we havent heard before is what sort of religious stuff you believe in other than the existence of god.

I'm interested what you think of this:

Holy rollers

And all the other fun stuff that comes with religion. Like demonic possession, guardian angels, and all the rest.
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By serbsta

Other than god, i dont believe in any ghosts, i believe that ghosts and other paranormal phenomena are simply manifestations of the mind. I dont believe that MOST of the sightings of Jesus on trees or in the skies are real, but when over 300 people claim to have seen something at the same time at the same place, you have to consider what it really is. I do believe in faith healing to some extent.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
Omega said:
"Okay there are a few "is god real" debates breaking out so I wanna just try and explain that part of my original post a bit better.

I'm not asking whether you believe in god. (Though if you feel the need to tell everyone go ahead.) I'm more interested in what people think is true of religious phenomenon.

Signs from heaven (jesus's face in a tree, or a statue crying blood, stigmata etc.)
Holy rollers (the people that seizure, roll and jump around because they are possessed by the holy spirit.)
Faith healing

I would very much prefer that we don't start debating the existence of god because as I said before there are plenty of other threads to do so in. We all know Solid_snakeXx, Brukaoru and Serbsta believe in god, we all know Adam_grif, and I are athiest and Biggerbomb and Verdugo are somewhere inbetween.  Why do we know that? Because we heard it all a hundred times before. What we havent heard before is what sort of religious stuff you believe in other than the existence of god.

Holy rollers

And all the other fun stuff that comes with religion. Like demonic possession, guardian angels, and all the rest."
Dude not all religions are like that.... seriously, i went to one that was like that but i stoped going there =x
DIJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DIJ

I believe in trans-dimensional aliens.  Also, signs from God:

caption
caption
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By serbsta
DIJ said:
"I believe in trans-dimensional aliens.  Also, signs from God:
caption
caption
"
xD

That is such an insult.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By Gunner
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"Omega said:
"Okay there are a few "is god real" debates breaking out so I wanna just try and explain that part of my original post a bit better.

Faith healing

Holy rollers

And all the other fun stuff that comes with religion. Like demonic possession, guardian angels, and all the rest."
Dude not all religions are like that.... seriously, i went to one that was like that but i stoped going there =x
"
he never said they were all like that. He is simply asking if you believe what they are doing is real.

I, for one do not (of course) But i do think they are affected mentally by the teachings there. When someone brainwashes you into thinking that its real, you usually tend to play along. I dont believe in Signs from heaven either, just because a cloud looks like a rabbit, does it mean that its a sign from some rabbit god? I do however believe (to some extent) in faith healing. The mind is such a powerful thing, if you believe in something so much it can happen. Just like if you believe in the fact that you can be healed if a preacher hits you across the head with a bible.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By adam_grif
Solid_SnakeXx said: