Putting down a cat...(very heavy, serious question)

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

I live in my parent's house while they are in the Middle East. With that house comes two cats, one of which is 17 or 18 years old. As I see it, looking after those cats is the least that I can do in exchange for the support that they are giving me.

But you can probably tell form the title that all is not right here. That old cat is, well old. She is slow, I believe deaf, has thyroid issues...and not longer seems able to use the litter box. Every day that I come home from my long commute to the city I find a few places where she has "done the buissness" and I have to take care of it. I recently brought her in to the vet and found out that she had an infection which cost us over 200 dollars to deal with. With all of this in mind I am deeply conflicted. On the one hand, this is an old cat and she is probably not long for this world anyway. I no longer feel that I can have people over due to the embarrassment of having a house that can sometimes be quite nasty (not that I tend to have much company as it is). I also don't like feeling that my own home is so far out of my control.

On the other hand, this is a responsibility which is pretty small compared to what my parents are doing for me, so I don't feel that I have much right to take part in the decision about whether to put her down or not. She doesn't SEEM to be suffering at all, though she does seem tired and sluggish. Ultimately, this is the kind of decision that I tend to avoid when possible, and one of the reasons that I personally never want my own pets.

Now my parents know about the issues that she has been having and its quite possible (and even likely)  that they are going to make a call in the next few days, but I'm not really sure if I should be taking a stand on the issue or waiting for them to deal with it. I'm really tired of picking up crap, but I'm pretty sure that they are tired of paying for me to go to university. And I don't really want to be responsible for this situation.

Does anybody have any advice for me in this situation? I am feeling rather lost.

EDIT: There seems to be come confusion, so to clarify: I'm not going to put down my mom's cat until she tells me to. I'm just wondering if I should even be part of the decision. If it actually came down to me, I would never put down the cat because I don't think I could be responsible for killing anything more significant than a fly. I should also clarify that this non-litterbox use may or may not be part of larger medical issues...

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By s7evn

I'd wait for them to make the call. I don't know what the $200 process will do for the cat, but I would hold off until your parents contact you.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ch3burashka

I was expecting "my cat has cancer, what do". However, if your cat is just an "inconvinience" nut the fuck up and take care of it. Being a cat person myself, I don't think you have the right to put down the cat just because it shits everywhere. 

I can't tell if you yourself love these cats, but assuming you parents have owned them for a decade and a half and love them very much, you'd be a dipshit to take on the responsibility to put them down.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Give them away?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nintendoeats
@s7evn: That's already been done (it was an immediate thing). It seems likely, however, that more such shots and tests are going to be necessary in the future.

@CH3BURASHKA:
I'm not asking if I should put her down, it is not my final decision to make. What I'm wondering about is if I should take any part in the discussion at all.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By EVO

So basically, you're thinking of killing you're cat while your parents are away? You say it doesn't seem to be suffering, so putting it down would just mean ending it's life prematurely.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nintendoeats
@Zimbo:@EVO:
Please refer to edit in OP.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By benpack

The only times I put down an animal was because they had cancer. One time it was my cat that wouldn't eat and tried running away several times. The other time was my dog who had serious cancer and the operation had something like a 40% chance to survive for 6 months if it was a success.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Ravenousrattler

It sounds like the cats issues are not dire enough, that you need to make a decision until they get back. I had a 21 year old cat, and that thing was a pain, crawling into every hard to get to place to crap, i think it was going insane from old age, eventually it just disappeared one day while it was outside.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats
@Ravenousrattler: Well that would certainly resolve the issue wouldn't it...

EDIT: That wasn't meant to sound as creepy as it looks.
Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arbie

Firstly, if this was my cat and there was no suffering involved I wouldn't for a second be considering putting it down just because it can be an inconvenience at times.  Secondly, I believe it is up to your parents and the vet what is best for the cat.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Zimbo
@nintendoeats:

I see, I'll delete the post.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nintendoeats
@Zimbo: Its appreciated. Thank you for understanding.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By luce

I had to put down my 5 year old cat because it had Leukemia and a stomach condition where it couldn't even ingest water without throwing it back up. That was hard 

I don't think this compares at all but do what you must. I personally find it kinda funny

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nintendoeats
@luce: 
...I don't find it particularly funny at all... sorry about your cat though.

I have no idea how this compares, because I have no obvious information about how the cat actually feels. There were some issues before, hence the Thyroid treatment that she is now on and will be on for the rest of her life. But day to day I'm not really sure. If it was obvious then my parents would have put her down by now. Whatever is going on with her, its certainly gotten worse since the last time they were in the country.

Nice hat.
anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By anarchyzombie9

Human comfort>Animal existence

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nintendoeats
@anarchyzombie9 said:
" Human comfort>Animal existence "
hmm, but humans are animals to. How does your equation handle that issue?
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EVO
@nintendoeats said:
" @Zimbo:@EVO: Please refer to edit in OP. "
OK.

@nintendoeats said:
" EDIT: There seems to be come confusion, so to clarify: I'm not going to put down my mom's cat until she tells me to. I'm just wondering if I should even be part of the decision. If it actually came down to me, I would never put down the cat because I don't think I could be responsible for killing anything more significant than a fly. I should also clarify that this non-litterbox use may or may not be part of larger medical issues... "

Now I'm confused.

You're asking us if you should have any say in the fate of your cat, but then go on to say you wouldn't put it down anyway. Huh?
Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Blinck
@anarchyzombie9:  So you don't condemn what people do to Dolphins and seals and other animals  (Aka beating them to death)  so that they can just get some good meat or skin?

@nintendoeats : If you don't think the cat is suffering then just hang in there for a while and take good care of the poor animal. He is old and probably won't be living much longer, so I think you should make an effort and at least give some good comfort and care to the animal before he dies. I wish I had spent more time petting mine before she passed away :(
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nintendoeats
@EVO: And here we come up against my own internal conflict. I could never make the executive decision to do it. But I might be willing to remind my parents that spending about about 20-25 minutes a day finding and cleaning up cat excrement, and feeling that I can't really invite people into my home because of it, sucks. At this point I have simply been informing them of day to day events (took the cat into the vet today, found infection, got treatment, followed some advice, advice didn't work, stuff like that). I've refrained from expressing how much I do not like this situation on the grounds that I would really prefer to remain innocent of whatever eventually happens.

So basically, I don't really know what I'm asking or what to do or anything. Several conflicting emotions and thoughts are bouncing around my mind on the subject, hence my posting here to see if people can help me make sense of it (and before you ask, no I don't have very many friends to talk about these things with IRL because I appear suck at dealing with people in person). And thus far general consensus seems to be "don't kill cats." I'm not really sure if that is helpful or not since I kind of already feel that way.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nintendoeats
@Blinck: Thankyou for the advice. This is how I have handled the situation thusfar, and while it seems like the right thing to do it is also driving me slightly mad.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EVO
@nintendoeats:  Oh, I see. So this is basically a thinly veiled girl help topic. Well, here goes:

Chicks hate cat shit.

They really do. However, chicks love guys that pick up cat shit. On a subconscious level it shows that you're fit to care for babies and perhaps even a suitable mate.

So the next time you're picking up cat shit off the rug in front of your friends, you should thank your cat. It could've very well just got you into that girls pants.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: What so many people here seem to be missing is that when an animal starts doing things outside of its conditioned behaviour (which it has been doing for years) there is something inherently wrong. Obviously you aren't just inconvenienced by the poor thing, it sounds fucking ill. If your parents give the word, then I'd probably do what's right for the cat.  

If the operation will alleviate/stop any illness, then that's the first go to.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nintendoeats
@EVO: Thanks, Very helpful. In think that I gave up the possiblity of getting into girl's pants when I put up the 15th video game poster in my room.

-_-
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nintendoeats
@GetEveryone: This has been part of my thinking. Its all very well to say "the cat is doing that because it is old," but someone might also well say "death is a mechanical problem" and if a machine stops working in some respect it should probably be fixed or replaced. But then, if the mechanical problem is one that is only a problem for me than the machine is still fulfilling its intended purpose.

Grarg, I don't like problems without correct answers. I obviously shouldn't be majoring in philosophy.
DarkWaterSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By DarkWaterSong

As many people have said, it is not your discussion so all you can do is report what is going on.  Honestly if you can afford to start treatment, then the cat would probably have a better quality of life.

Now I am going to relate a story about a cat own that had a 24 year old cat that was just skin an bones, and it took all sorts of meds.  I personally would have put that cat down, because he had a bad quality of life.  I mean when you are injecting 3 types of pain meds into your cat everyday so it will eat, and then force feeding it half the time there is something VERY wrong.

Now if it is a local infection, like a bladder infection, then I think it is defiantly worth it to treat the cat if it still eats and perks up after a few days of treatment.  The big thing now is that the cat is suffering, so something needs to be done for it.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EVO
@nintendoeats said:
" @EVO: Thanks, Very helpful. In think that I gave up the possiblity of getting into girl's pants when I put up the 15th video game poster in my room.-_- "
Not necessarily. It shows that you're passionate about something. But whatever you do, DON'T put figures in your bedroom - that's just a turn off. 

But I think I'm on to something with this guys that clean up cat shit theory.

Gene Simmons. You know, that guy from KISS. He's fucked over 4,600 women. Pretty good for an ugly son of a bitch. Now, who else is in KISS?
 Could it be? Gene Simmons has been picking up this guys shit all these years?
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nintendoeats
@EVO: ...This is really not helpful dude...
___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ___pocalypse

Yeah I mean when it comes down it, it's your parents' decision. However, you know what her day to day life is like, so I think you can offer your opinion. If the $200 fee for fixing the infection from the vet will substantially improve the cat's life, then you can offer your support for that. If not, and if she has other problems that are only going to get worse, I would recommend having the cat put down. She is the one who has the worst deal, your job right now is to make her feel better. If the peeing everywhere is a really big issue for you, try closing her off in a smaller room or area for when you leave. The cat can't help being sick.

Whether you want to or not, you come off sounding pretty callous in your post. This cat is an embarrassing inconvenience in your mind, when really you should be thinking about what is best for the cat, and only what is best for the cat. Sometimes, having an animal euthanized is the best option, but only the vet can tell you whether it is or not.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EVO
@nintendoeats:  Sorry, just fucking with you. I'll leave you alone now.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By meteora
@anarchyzombie9 said:
" Human comfort>Animal existence "
I am not comfortable with any animals in the world. 

KILL THEM ALL
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nintendoeats
@___pocalypse: I am a pretty callous person TBH, though I do have some very strong principles.

Thank you for the input.
anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By anarchyzombie9
@nintendoeats: A cat being an animal and a human being an animal are 2 completely different animals 
@Blinck:  There is a HUGE difference between killing endangered species and putting a cat down for selfish reasons. 
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teaspoon83

Talked to my wife about this. Did the vet give you the option of putting the cat down? The Vet may only allow you to treat the infection, there would be no choice to put the cat to sleep as a form of resolving the problem. The pet needs to be in severe pain that putting it to sleep would be better than the it was going through. You can't walk into a pet hospital and ask to have it put to sleep because "It's old."

A pet is your parents responsibility and have to take care of it as if it was a child. They need to try their best to pay for the medical needs of the cat, try to treat it at home the best they can or choose to surrender it. Sad part is, surrendering it to a shelter probably means that is where the cat will live out the rest of their days. 

It is difficult as we are dealing with the same problem with our cat. We love the damn thing but it is expensive with her current medical problem. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nintendoeats
@Teaspoon83: gar gar gar. People keep confusing this and I keep not correcting them on it. The infection that I mentioned has already been treated, we simply don't know where it is going to go from here. I have a sneaking suspicion that she has another one (and the last time I took her in was just over a week ago).

In terms of process, I have no idea what the deal is. My mother is the one who first brought it up as something that might need to happen. She has had a lot more contact with the vet than me.

I'm sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Bigandtasty

I would just like to say that I am extremely dense and I thought the topic title referred to literally putting down a cat you were carrying, and it was too heavy to put down safely.

Anyway, I hate cats for the most part, but if it's your parents' I think you should just live with it until they come back, unless both a vet and your parents give you permission to do otherwise. If they tell you they'll reimburse you for treating its infection (I assume they should since you say they love it dearly), then there's nothing really that egregious about living with it. I mean, I don't like their company that much and I know it's probably shitting in some weird places, but I don't think it's that bad.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By Catolf

I admit, when I read this, it sounded like you just wanted to put the animal down so you didn't have to deal with the poop, instead of wanting to put it down because it's suffering.

As someone stated before, try either putting the cat away when you leave. Also, a question, how many litter boxes do you have in your home? It might not even be an issue about the feline being old, it's just that it dosen't want to share space with the other cat any longer. I have two cats myself and currently 3 litterboxes in my home. My older female preference's is an open box, while my smaller female likes closed boxes one for urin and the other for poop.

I do this because one box just wasn't enough, and they started trying to go in other places, which i thought odd, it turned out they didn't want to share that much space together. Thus now 3 boxes.

Try it and see how it works, it may be just the need for someplace new to go.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Teaspoon83

What @Catolf: said. 

With the two cats we have in the house, we have two boxes in the house. Our older one is very paranoid so we have a covered one in the washroom which she will use when needed but we have another one they both share. It could be worth trying to add an additional liter box.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By flaminghobo

I'd wait for your parents to give you a verdict. The cat is theirs after all.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nintendoeats
@Teaspoon83: Thats something that I'm already planning to do, but my gut feeling is that its not going to help.

Imma say that looking for help in resolving your own inner conflicts on the internet is a good way to look like a jerk.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

i think it's the time to put the cat away. you should call your parents and tell them.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Teaspoon83
@nintendoeats: Nah, you are going through a tough moment. I would say asking the internet is more miss than hit but you'll find an interesting thought that you may have never thought of if you didn't try to ask. 
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nintendoeats
@Teaspoon83: Yes, I do believe that is normally what these friend things are for :) Well anyway, I'm going to intentionally invoke Godwin on this thread and drop a picture of cute Hitler.

No Caption Provided
Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Teaspoon83

XD

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By regularassmilk

If you don't believe in killing, well i'm sorry you gotta mop up cat piss.
If I were you though, i'd get him put the fuck down. No reason a cat should make it to 17 or 18 anyway.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Catolf
@regularassmilk said:
" If you don't believe in killing, well i'm sorry you gotta mop up cat piss. If I were you though, i'd get him put the fuck down. No reason a cat should make it to 17 or 18 anyway. "
cats that live in doors can lead lives up to 25 years of age. Unlike outdoor cats that may only lead less then, or half that. I guess I'm glad your not him.
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By inkerman

Having recently just put down my dog, which was in the same situation as the cat with a really bad, infected tumour on its back, we only put it down once it became clear the tumour was bothering her (as in she was constantly whining, and trying to lick it, but couldn't, which drove her insane). As long as the cat seems happy, it could be blind, deaf and have a cough, but as long as it's happy, no need to put it down.

On whether or not you should be part of the decision, it depends how long you've looked after the cat, and whether or not these issues have developed while your parents have been away.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By regularassmilk
@Catolf said:
" @regularassmilk said:
" If you don't believe in killing, well i'm sorry you gotta mop up cat piss. If I were you though, i'd get him put the fuck down. No reason a cat should make it to 17 or 18 anyway. "
cats that live in doors can lead lives up to 25 years of age. Unlike outdoor cats that may only lead less then, or half that. I guess I'm glad your not him. "
I read multiple times that the average US housecat lives from 12-14 tops.
My Great Grandma lived until she was 107.
Possible? Yes.
Common?
No.
And the last 20 years of her life were bullshit miserable. 
27thRed_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By 27thRed_Martyr
Just wait for them to go away.
Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Catolf
@regularassmilk said:
" @Catolf said:
" @regularassmilk said:
cats that live in doors can lead lives up to 25 years of age. Unlike outdoor cats that may only lead less then, or half that. I guess I'm glad your not him. "
I read multiple times that the average US housecat lives from 12-14 tops. My Great Grandma lived until she was 107. Possible? Yes. Common? No. And the last 20 years of her life were bullshit miserable.  "
That study was done in the 80 to early 90's It is now not uncommon for cats neutered and properly cared for to live happy lives into their 20's (unlike an outdoor feline who's average lifespan -wild' is 3-4) A friend of mine has a happy cat who is 19 with no health problems and just as spry as if she were 1. You wanting to put down an animal who is just having trouble with the litterbox. There is ways to help this,  (add in another box, find a new place for them to go to feel more secure)

all animals (including cats) are different, it depends on their breeding and general care how long they live. I'm sorry about your grandmother but she holds no realivance to the topic at hand. 

Which is, if the cat is happy and healthy otherwise and just has a defecation issue (or urin) try adding in more places for the feline to go and test the waters, no life should be put out because of 'conveniance' issues.