Question about headphones for consoles.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

One of the big reasons I never touch my consoles is because I tend to be a night hawk, and since I live with people I don't play games past a certain hour because I know it would wake them up and I just don't want to listen to them bitching about it. So now I'm looking into getting a pair of headphones, but I had a couple questions as I have never bought headphones for consoles before. 

1. Where do they plug into? Do they plug into the USB port on the console itself, or to the back of my TV? Do I need to make sure my TV has some kind of special connector on the back?
  2. I will pretty much just be using them on my PS3, but I have a couple 360 games I plan to play some day. So can any one recommend a good headset that works with both systems? A built in mic would be a plus for the odd time I would use it, but I pretty much only play alone so I don't have as much of a need for one.

Thanks in advance.
Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Scapegoat

Most (all?) TVs should have a headphone out jack.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By CL60

You plug them into your TV I believe.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By crusader8463
@Scapegoat said:
" Most (all?) TVs should have a headphone out jack. "
Never noticed one, that's why I asked.
gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By gamb1t

whatever you do dont go cheap! sound is half your 

POWERSSSSSSSSSSSS

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

There is an affordable Tritton headset that is compatible with PS3 and Xbox 360 but I am not sure of its quality overall. Some reviews I seen were varied.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

If you're playing on something that doesn't have a headphone jack (such as a monitor) then you have some limited options.

For my 360 I had to use the red and white audio out cables and a male/female RCA to female 3.5mm converter.

You need male or female rca depending on how your console is set up
You would plug the red and whites your console spits out into this and headphones into the other.  Of course, this is assuming you don't just use HDMI and also you have rca cables.

But realistically, it sounds like you're using a tv, which almost assuredly has a 3.5mm jack.

In that case you can plug in any headphones, doesn't matter the platform.  For a decent pair of affordable headphones I would recommend the Sennheiser HD 202s.  They have a long cable length and they're usually $20-30.
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Burzmali

Get headphones with an inline volume control. In 99% of cases, the output from your TV (or using the adapter that AlwaysBeClothing posted) will be a constant volume because it's basically line-out. Odds are that it won't be too loud for your, but it might be, and inline volume will be the only way to change it. 

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MikeHawk

Just bought a pair of headphones for playing my PS3 at night. Went with Audio Technica M40s. I have a 5.1 setup in my room, but I can hear so much I never could before with these things on.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By DystopiaX
@ThePhantomnaut said: 

" There is an affordable Tritton headset that is compatible with PS3 and Xbox 360 but I am not sure of its quality overall. Some reviews I seen were varied. "

I think it's like the 130 or something, the $100 one. I have it, it's pretty good. Mic works well, sound quality is decent for the price. Only reason I wouldn't recommend it is if you use an HDMI out on an original 360, because then you need an extra dongle thingy to make it work. If you use a component cable on 360 it'll work fine, PS3 has no problems.    
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Scapegoat said:
" Most (all?) TVs should have a headphone out jack. "
Mine doesn't have one.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ninjakiller
Turtle beach headphones are the shit.  Separate chat/game audio volume controls, a bypass that allows audio to go your reliever as well.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@AlwaysBeClothing said:
" If you're playing on something that doesn't have a headphone jack (such as a monitor) then you have some limited options.

For my 360 I had to use the red and white audio out cables and a male/female RCA to female 3.5mm converter.
You would plug the red and whites your console spits out into this and headphones into the other.  Of course, this is assuming you don't just use HDMI and also you have rca cables.

But realistically, it sounds like you're using a tv, which almost assuredly has a 3.5mm jack.

In that case you can plug in any headphones, doesn't matter the platform.  For a decent pair of affordable headphones I would recommend the Sennheiser HD 202s.  They have a long cable length and they're usually $20-30. "
I don't know of any TVs with jacks of any kind. I would recommend buying the RCA adapter. It's what I used, and it works great. And you'll need to get Headphones of a pretty good quality to really get anything out of it, so you should be fine in terms of finding one with inline control. Plus, it reduces clutter, so you aren't going from xbox to tv to adapter to headphones.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

turtle beach are the brand that you should look into. they sound awesome but they are kind of expensive. they have separate volume controls for chat, the video game, other things.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By alwaysbeclothing
@MordeaniisChaos: 
The 3.5mm jack is more commonly known as the headphons jack.  Looks like this in most cases:
No Caption Provided
As long as your tv has a port that looks like that, you can plug in basically any non-usb headphones and it works.  Of course, without the specifics of the situation, I don't really know exactly what the op needs.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Scrawnto

I would personally go with a nicer $50-$80 set and get a separate inline volume control, but only if you can afford that. The benefits of the sound are totally worth it. Like most people here have said, most TVs have a headphone out port, or if you have a receiver, that will almost certainly have one. Receivers often have 1/4" outputs, so you might need a 1/4-1/8" converter. 

I personally game with a pair of Grado SR225s which are amazing, but a bit expensive. Some people might not like how much sound they let in, but in a quiet room, they are the best headphones I've ever used.

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Mr402

Get this right here.     
 http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/111/MixAmp-58/ 

First off it will take just about any existing headphones you have and turn them into 7.1 surround sound.   I wouldn't purchase Astro headphones mainly because they are overpriced but that Mixamp is worth every penny.    Pair this up with senheissers or Audio technica headphones both of which are excellent and around 120 bucks.  Trust me if you are going to pay the price for consoles and games then why skimp on the sound.  Fire that Mixamp up with a good pair of headphones and a copy of Dead Space 2 and get ready for real imersion.   For 250 dollars you have a excellent late night sound system for gaming, movies and music that works with every console and also your pc.   What I'm saying is turtlebeach and Tritton sell overpriced junk.  You get what you pay for. 
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By monkeyking1969

If you just want headphones for sound you can easily connect something to the TV directly.  If you want sound and communications you best bet is a more expensive gaming audio/com headphone system.  Like the person above I have an Astro MixAmp which I have paired with some headphones.  

It is a complete solution (i.e. overkill & expensive); but it is easy to set up, sounds great, and is a no-worry solution.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SammydesinasNL

For my xbox I just use a pair of Sennheiser HD 515's and they're good. It doesn't have a built-in mice, so I hang my xbox headset around my neck (which I don't notice unless I'm wearing a hoodie). You just simply plug the headphones into your television's headphone output.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Do the Turtle Beach X11s work with the PS3 as well as the 360? As far as I know, they theoretically should since it just needs a USB plug and a headphone jack, but I'd appreciate confirmation.