Question of the Day - Do You Ultimately Belive in Fate or Free-Will? (August 1, 2010)

• 106 results
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By animateria

Both.

Genetics has some traits that are totally 'fate'.  Genetic diseases like cancer, or some times personality traits are genetically handed down.

That doesn't mean you can't change the outcome of some through free-will.

Dannoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Dannoob

Either or ... i'm incredibly amazed we got this far without half the world blown up or at each others necks

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Fate is the crutch of the weak.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By apoptosis61

i believe in a mix of fate and free wil

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By mazik765
@LordXavierBritish:  The ability to make that choice, that you are admitting is a choice we make, would suggest the existence of free will. Yes there are plenty of external influences acting on your judgment that you have no controls over, but ultimately you make that descision.

Of course there are things that influence our decisions, such as our religion, our job or the social circles we keep. All these, however, can be traced back to conscious choices you have made.

You've admitted that one can both be influenced by society, but also rebel against society's expectations. Does this not imply that one has a choice regardless of the constant presence of society's expectations in both situations?

Also let me clarify; I realize we receive inputs from our external senses. I meant receiving direct commands from a sentient being, like a computer does. A computer cannot look at it;s past experiences and make the decisions it feels is best independently, of it's own volition.
Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

stuff happens

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Diamond
@Waffles13 said:

You can't condemn the criminals, nor can you praise the altruists for anything they do, because it wasn't their choice, they were destined to do it.

You can still do those things if you don't believe in free will.  Criminals are locked up for the safety of others and to give disincentive for anti-social behavior.  You praise altruists to benefit those who practice good social behavior.  This way you can focus behavior in the future, free will or no.

@Waffles13

said:

It doesn't matter what you do, because it's all you can do, and therefore, why attempt to do anything?

Being aware of your lack of free will is no reason to stop doing things.  By that same logic people should just kill themselves because you're gonna die some day anyways.

@Waffles13 said:

However, even if there was evidence to the contrary, it wouldn't make any difference, because the second anyone truly starts believing that nothing they consciously do has any bearing on what will happen, the foundation of their life is gone and there is no longer any meaning in living.

This is the paradox.  Luckily very few people, even those aware of their lack of free will, would just sit there saying to themselves 'I have no free will, so I should just sit here'.  Might as well follow your pre-programed instincts for self-preservation, pleasure seeking, and altruism.  Why am I typing this?  That's what you were going to do anyways!
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By ch3burashka

No fate but what we make, dawg. 

Seeing as how there's no way to confirm or deny pre-ordained fate, I think there's room for both The Plan and individual plans. The Plan is the overall fate, and plans are things people do that fit into the Plan without interfering.  

More importantly, assholes use the fate argument to avoid responsibility, which is an abuse and makes me think of fate as an excuse, thus false.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#59  Edited By Geno

Our bodies (and everything else) are governed by the laws of chemistry and physics. Chemistry and physics are based on mathematics, which is deterministic; e.g. given the same set of initial conditions you will get the same result every time. Our bodies have an astronomical number of chemical reactions occuring at any one time, but this doesn't change the fact that they are still chemical, and not magic. Therefore the illusion of free will is only a side product of the enormous complexity of our bodies and the environment around it that makes prediction impossible.  

Edit: I just looked at how many people chose free will. At first I was surprised. Then I wasn't. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@mazik765: You are saying that a computer cannot examine it's past and determine what is the "best" course of action, but you fail to quantify what "best" is. 

Computers always make the "best" decision because their code dictates what "best" is. 

And the ability to make a choice is not evidence of free will, because it isn't an ability. Choice is your mental processes checking against your backlog of memory to determine the "best" course of action, exactly like a computer. You can say you are making a choice, but in the end it is the "best" choice that is itself driving you to make it. 

I said that one can conform or rebel against society because I was making the point that two different groups exist despite some choices being determined the "best " by society. Crime is not condoned or rewarded, yet people still commit crime. Why would someone commit crime then? Obviously there is the threat of jail time, hell even death under certain circumstances. Why not just try to work harder, live day by day? That's what society says to do. 

But they don't. 

You say religion and social circles are determined by choice, but that is the biggest load of bull shit I ever heard of. Do you ever see rich kids hanging out in the ghetto? No. Do you ever see Christians become Islamic overnight? No. Income, family, genetics, intelligence, athleticism: all of these factor into who you are and what you do. No orthodox Jew is going to become atheist unless they are presented with information that contradicts their faith.

What you see as choice is a finely crafted illusion that can be explained very easily. You are living the way you were taught to live, you encounter an idea or person who varies from your norm, you take it into account, you subconsciously decide whether or not this quantity is above or below your norm based upon past experiences, and then you consciously become aware that you should either avoid or pursue similar quantities in the future. Depending upon the size of this event, it could potentially have life changing proportions. 

It all comes back to reality of self-servience. No one does anything for no reason. Randomness does not occur in the human mind, it can all be explained.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mazik765
@LordXavierBritish:  The very idea of having a choice suggests that you have free will to make that choice. If determinism were true, there would be no choice.

And I am not suggesting that people do things for no reason. Like I said in a previous post to someone else, if you were to appear on the earth with no urges or impulses and no external forces acting upon you, you would just sit there and eventually die. This is not the case, and I have fully acknowledged that there are things like race, gender and other genetic factors that are beyond one's control. Social circles can absolutely be chosen, I don't see why you would think otherwise. I have good friends both above and below my family's 'income bracket' so I have no idea where you got the conception that rich people hang with rich people and poor people with poor people. 

Of course one needs evidence to change the way of life, or else they would not. Having information and being able to make rational decisions arrived at through processes of logic does not mean there is no free will. That is the very point of free will, being able to reason rationally and come to a conclusion. People do change religions all the time (hell, Bob Dylan converted twice). Of course these choices are brought on by external evidence that has been discovered by the individual, but the point remains that they take that evidence and make a choice. A choice involves there being free will. External forces =/= determinism.
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By FlyingRat
@Diamond said:
" Free will is an illusion, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't treat it as if it doesn't exist.  Fate is just the inevitable outcome of the trillions of quadrillions of subtle changes that affect your every moment. "
This pretty much sums up how i feel about it.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Geno
@mazik765: Choice is simply our inability to predict the summation of our physiochemical responses.  

Give a computer a very complex mathematical problem that takes a few minutes to solve. During the process of calculation, neither the computer nor the operator knows the outcome. Once the outcome arrives, it would appear that the computer "chose" this choice out of the limitless other choices that could have been chosen (just as a human has nearly infinite things that they may do, say or think at any one point in time). The only difference is that human actions cannot be predicted since the net sum of our metabolic pathways is much more complex than nearly any math equation that could be input into a computer. This is the basis of artificial intelligence. Biological intelligence works the same way, except cells are the transistors (metaphorically speaking).  

Chemical reactions are deterministic. Our bodies are composed of chemical reactions. The sum of deterministic operations is deterministic. Our bodies are the sum of chemical reactions, therefore they are deterministic. The scale is irrelevant other than affecting the time it takes to get a discrete outcome. This has nothing to do with psychology, sociology, or philosophy, though it involves humans, since it applies to the entire universe; humans are merely contained within it.  

E.g, if 

2H + 0.5O2 = H20 

Which is a reaction (as with all other chemical reactions) that can be infinitely reproduced under the same conditions, then there is no reason to believe that such reactions stacked on top of each other somehow allows us to bend electrons to our will in order to change determinate outcomes within the current universe. 
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Mmmslash

Fatalism is a little crazy, as far as I am concerned. It's something that cannot be proved, so I just don't understand the draw.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazik765: Okay, we'll allow me to shoot the horse in the leg then. 

How does choice happen? Real honest to goodness choice. 

Prove to me that the all the gunk shooting off in your head doesn't have more control over you than you do.

Please, share with the class.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By luce

I believe in Fatalities

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#67  Edited By Jeust

C. Both. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#68  Edited By armaan8014

You forgot the third option: A little bit of both.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#69  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Free will. I agree that there are far more factors affecting people's thoughts and decisions than a lot of people realise but I have seen no proper evidence to conclude that fate really exists.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By one_2nd

This is basically a question of whether you believe in god, or not. Fate is not real, although sometimes when everything falls into place perfectly, it sure does seem like it is. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#71  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I choose free will!

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By rateoforange

Maybe I made my point a little too broadly. The consensus model of quantum physics is non-determinism. You can try to twist the universe back into determinism by creating an angel who decides which atom in a bundle of radioactive atoms decays, but there is no evidence for that angel. So the burden of proof is properly on the determinists, not the non-determinists.

A lot of armchair philosophers think they can roll up and start spouting nonsense about how free will is an illusion because of electron spin quarks tachyons blah blah blah, but the fact is they wouldn't know which end of a microscope to look in. So maybe they should stick to metaphysics.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MannyMAR

I say life is like an ongoing rogue-like version of a Bioware RPG. You got branching paths where you make choices but they kind of all lead down to various outcomes. So where-in you may believe the possibilities to be endless, in reality you're life only has like 3-4 endings tops. So my answer is: kind of freewill & kind of fate.

EvilMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By EvilMuffin
It was my fate to choose "free-will."
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By tsolless

Fate. Not the fate where your outcome is chosen for you, but fate in that you don't really choose what you do. Ultimately, the choices we make are based on past experiences and what mood we are in at the time, things that we do not control. 

Religion is an example. You can't really choose to believe or disbelieve a religion, it's something that you come to believe through the experiences that you have. Can one choose to suddenly believe in Santa Clause (I'm not comparing any gods to Santa Clause, just choosing an example that everyone can share)?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mazik765
@LordXavierBritish:  I don't see how chemicals in our brain = no free will. That is the function our brain performs and chemicals are how it achieves that function. What you're saying is like saying that because when I move my arm it is actually a series of muscles contracting and expanding that I am not really moving my arm, it's just an illusion. But of course I am moving my arm, the muscles are how my arm is able to complete that function. Similarly, of course I am using my brain to make descision, and the chemicals are how my brain achieves this function.  

@Geno:  If it were that simple, that our bodies make all our decisions for us and we are simply in a Cartesian Theater along for the ride, our bodies would have but one point: survival. Why would our brain, which makes chemical reactions perfectly logically to make our body survive, make descisions that serve any other purpose? Why did the brain of that dumb kid on youtube tell him it would be a great survivalist move to light his hand on fire? Or a fireman who rushes into a burning building to save someone's life, surely that is not a wise survivalist move. Like I said above, chemical reactions are our brains way of allowing us to make decisions, just like muscles are our hands way of allowing us to grasp and hold things.
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By Ramone

I like to believe in free will but would life be any less exciting and interesting if it wasn't?

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazik765: I think your problem is that you don't have a firm grasp of what "you" is. "You" is in actuality, not a thing. "You" don't exist. "You" is a series of electric impulses triggering in your brain allowing the phenomenon known as thoughts to occur. 

There is no part of the brain in which some kind of soul like process is stored. Every thought you have is an impulse, a reaction. You don't tell your brain to think, but you still do. You still continue to function regardless of any direct input. 

Look at all the depressed and suicidal people out there and how they perceive the world. They don't choose see death everywhere they go, to have that idea define them. That is how their brains are designed, and even if they find the sensation discomforting they cannot change it without medical aide.  

Also you are wrong in your reply to Geno. Survival is not the only object. You are forgetting two vert important ones, and those are sex and the preservation of life. Stupid kids on youtube are simply an extension of sex. It has nothing to do with survival, they want attention. It's just the human equivalent of peacock feathers. There is also the kinship that dictates the preservation of life. Most mammalian parents will protect their children up to a certain age regardless of the danger. Take into account the fact that humans are very communal creatures, and it is very easy to see why a fireman would risk his own life to save others.
escher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79  Edited By escher

Free will is nothing but an illusion.  However, as my one philosophy professor used to say, "It shouldn't change the way you brush your teeth in the morning."  :)

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mazik765
@LordXavierBritish:  The 'you' is the physical representation of yourself, of which your brain is included. Your brains physical purpose is to provide you with a mentality, a device in which you can store your experiences and call on them to make decisions. Also I didn't use the word soul once, so I don't know where you're getting that impression from.

Also the two 'non-survival' traits you mentioned are just others words for survival. Sex ensures the survival of the species and I'm not sure what you mean by 'preservation of life' but isn't that just survivalist said another way? 

Also peacocks have those feathers to attract a mate, to ensure the survival of the species. Animals put themselves in danger to protect their young because the young are the next generation of their species, ensuring it's survival

So what about people who risk their lives to save an animal. How does that benefit your theory? It doesn't benefit any of the impulses you mentioned. What about this discussion right now? How does this benefit our survival? It doesn't really. Academics in general don't. Sure medical science, but what about psychology, marine biology, philosophy etc. Why would we develop these unless we had the free will to pursue knowledge (and other goals in general) that weren't directly linked to the survival of our species. In fact, we do a great many things as a species that go against that very goal. So it would seem odd that our impulses that are designed to ensure the continuation of our species and, according to you, control our every thought and action, would be allowing us to make these decisions that are anti-productive of this goal.

edit: spelling mistakes.
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazik765: First off, I didn't say soul. I said soul like, which is exactly the type of function you are describing. 

Also, you are taking the word "survival" and giving it the most literal and unimpressive meaning imaginable. Our minds have evolved over time, and those functions of survival have become more vague and complex. Even this discussion figures into one of those facets. We have kept it up to this point because neither of us wants to lose. If one of us loses, then by extension that makes us the weaker person. If you were to abstract that back to instinctual concepts, then right now we are just two bucks butting antlers. Examples of everything can be found in nature. 

Academics in and of itself is the most rudimentary kind of survival, control. We want to control everything, because we fear that which we do not comprehend. We want to control our bodies, our minds, the world we inhabit. We want to control the very fabrics of the universe and bend them to our will, simply to know that they are within our absolute and total command. 

Why do you think religion is so quick to spread? It is that promise of control. To know that an ethereal being with your best interest in mind has created and conquered all you have ever known. Even atheists do it, many of them have come to see science as more of a omnipresent force than just a field of statistics and laws. Everyone wants to live happy and free of pain, and that is why we lie to ourselves and wish beyond hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mazik765
@LordXavierBritish:  There is a very big difference between this discussion and animal competition found in nature, whether it be bucks, mountain goats or wolves competing to be alpha. It is because what they are doing is to ensure they have a mate, which again boils back to the survival of the species. We are doing this (or at least I am) for my own enjoyment. I have no survivalist stake in this, if I were to secede right now I am pretty confident my girlfriend would not leave me, and I would still be in a safe place.

Also the appeal of religion seems to be contrary to what you are saying. The idea of religion is to sacrifice much of your free will, to have faith and obedience, and to subject yourself to the laws of a greater being. Why would this seem appealing if all people wanted was the illusion of free will?

And if the academics were simply to help our brain contribute to this illusion of self control, it would seem contrary to the goal that it allowed us to think of the idea in the first place. If our brain tells us what to do and we are not in control, why would it take the extra effort to allow us to think up the concept of free will, then have to constantly deceive us in everything we do for our entire lives? Would it not be far simpler and a more logical survival choice to simply not enact the chemical reaction that gave us this idea in the first place?
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazik765: Okay you are right good job.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Geno
@mazik765 said:
" @LordXavierBritish:  I don't see how chemicals in our brain = no free will. That is the function our brain performs and chemicals are how it achieves that function. What you're saying is like saying that because when I move my arm it is actually a series of muscles contracting and expanding that I am not really moving my arm, it's just an illusion. But of course I am moving my arm, the muscles are how my arm is able to complete that function. Similarly, of course I am using my brain to make descision, and the chemicals are how my brain achieves this function.  

@Geno:  If it were that simple, that our bodies make all our decisions for us and we are simply in a Cartesian Theater along for the ride, our bodies would have but one point: survival. Why would our brain, which makes chemical reactions perfectly logically to make our body survive, make descisions that serve any other purpose? Why did the brain of that dumb kid on youtube tell him it would be a great survivalist move to light his hand on fire? Or a fireman who rushes into a burning building to save someone's life, surely that is not a wise survivalist move. Like I said above, chemical reactions are our brains way of allowing us to make decisions, just like muscles are our hands way of allowing us to grasp and hold things. "
Moving your arm is not an illusion, that is physically happening. What is an illusion however is you believing there is a "you" entity behind your physical characteristics that is able to control them beyond their deterministic outcomes. You are your chemistry, you are your biology. You do not control them, they control you. To suggest otherwise is essentially saying you can shift the laws of thermodynamics with your mind outside of time and space. You are not using chemical reactions to move your arm, your arm is being moved at that moment as the cumulative result of all the other metabolic and physical processes that occurred throughout the years before that action. A complicated chemical reaction spanning several years acts on the same principles as a simple chemical reaction acting over a few nanoseconds. There is no more free-will involved in moving your arm than there is in a blue-green algae undergoing photosynthesis or even the simple acid-base equilibrium of water. When a plant opens its stomas to undergo gas exchange for photosynthesis, it is not consciously making this decision or being motivated by anything, after all, how can it? It doesn't even have a central nervous system. It is simply being guided by the countless chemical receptors that behave accordingly with the laws of thermodynamics at the core level; macroscopically this manifests at the physical action that we can see. 

As the saying goes, just because something may seem unpleasant or against your comforting beliefs doesn't make it untrue. You don't seem so much as to not understand this point as you are simply unwilling to accept it. Don't worry, you are still loved and life is still worth living even if we are "simply in a Cartesian Theater along for the ride". What's so bad about rides anyway? ;)

(Altrusim by the way, what you describe in your fireman example is a well established survival response, ironically. You can read more about it here to get a general idea)
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mazik765
@Geno:  If the deterministic nature of the chemical balances and reactions in your brain can span years, than how is it that people make sudden movements when in danger, or split second decisions? To have a chemical balance that was planning this would be to infer that everything int he world is working on a carefully planned deterministic schedule, in which case there would most likely be a supreme deity controlling this (or at least one that had created it). I think it is more likely that people choose to use their brain (which is just a muscle like the one's found in your arm) to make that decision and augment their body to complete the decision on a physical level.

I go back to the point of survivalist behavior. If our brains controlled our every movement and had everything planned out for us, sometimes for years in advance according to your statement, why would they bother to develop the concept of free will, only to have it need to constantly decieve us into thinking we have it. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just not develop the thought in the first place?

Also if your goal is survival of our species (as is the goal of most species) why do some brains allow people to commit suicide if they are controlling their bodies? There are certain survival reflexes we have adapted such as the inability to drown oneself (as your head will instinctively jerk up for air if yo just have your head dunked), so if our brain has these reflexes pretty obviously focused on the goal of survival, why would it allow someone to even consider the thought of suicide, much less carry out the act.

Also, these reflexes we have are moments of perhaps involuntary movement that we directly identify as such. Maybe you put your hand on a hot stove and your hand instinctively jerks away, or perhaps it is the drowning example previously mentioned. We notice these as times that our freedom of movement is taken away for a moment. If we never had freedom of our movement, why would these periods strike us as different in contrast? Surely our brains could trick us into thinking that these movements were voluntary if that's what was happening all the time.

And don't worry, I am not afraid of the idea of fate, I just don't see it as a logical conclusion. If anything fate would be preferable to free will since I would never have to worry about my big life decisions since my decision would already be predetermined, and it's consequences already worked out. How convenient would that be? :)
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#86  Edited By Icemael
@mazik765 said:
" @Icemael said:  
I am saying that everything you do, you do based on things that are beyond your control. From this it obviously follows that you can, in a given situation, regardless of how many options you think you have, only do one thing.
Of course you can only do one thing, because we perceive time in a linear fashion. Again, I am not arguing that we are omnipotent and free will means defying the laws of physics or time that we know. This whole question ultimately boils down to this point right here. You will say that that was the decision I was destined to made, and I will say it was the decision I chose to make."
No, I will say that it's the decision you were destined to choose. Yes, you chose it, and you chose it because you wanted to choose it -- what I'm saying is that you couldn't possibly have not wanted to choose it.
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

The problem is that if some things are just fated to happen, you have to realize that most people would still be convinced they had free will anyways.  They'd refuse to believe that anything was happening due to destiny and claim it was the result of their choices alone.  The argument just plain can't be settled, because there's no way to know your fate, and thus no way to tell if you are defying it or playing right into it.

Edit: Also, this is not longer the question of the day!  It's the question of like, two days ago!  For some reason, that really angers me.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Because we have certain genes, they dictate how we'll act in any given situation, like an AI. And because we'll always act the same way, then the next person will act according to our actions in a chain effect. Our thoughts are influenced by past actions, forming us and our decision making process. And because everyone will always do things according to their genes, we have no influence over our surroundings, which in turn affect others, creating a cycle. 7-degrees of separation. I also believe in the Holographic Universe, which states that everything is connected, with neither space nor time separating things. 

For example, let's say Jimmy is born. He goes through life, and is bullied or something. This changes him as a person. He goes on and every action he's experienced influences the decision he makes, no matter how subtly. If he trips, he becomes more cautious for a brief period of time, changing his thoughts for that amount of time, which will then further snowball. He can say he's fighting his genes, but those are the genes simply telling him he's fighting. So he goes and eventually meets a lady. No matter what she says, he'll always respond a certain way due to past experiences and genes. Eventually they have a kid together, and their genes mix. They also raise the kid, giving him new experiences. Life goes on, and people create each other, both physically and spiritually. Everything works in tandem and creates a sort of "fate".

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Geno
@mazik765 said:

" @Geno:  If the deterministic nature of the chemical balances and reactions in your brain can span years, than how is it that people make sudden movements when in danger, or split second decisions? 

You misinferred my meaning, go back and read it again. The cumulative result of our chemical reactions spans years; blinking an eye takes a few milliseconds and can be done "voluntarily", but the chemical events that eventually led to that action took years. E.g. if a 3 trillion step chemical reaction takes 10  years, any individual step may still take as little as a few nanoseconds. At any given moment there are millions if not billions of chemical reactions happening in your body.   

@mazik765

said:

To have a chemical balance that was planning this would be to infer that everything int he world is working on a carefully planned deterministic schedule, in which case there would most likely be a supreme deity controlling this (or at least one that had created it). 

I don't see where the link is between determinism and a "supreme deity". If that were the case mathematicians and scientists would all be deeply religious, but actually quite the opposite is true. You are essentially saying that 1+1=2 is proof of a god, which a leap of logic to say the least. 

@mazik765

said:

I think it is more likely that people choose to use their brain (which is just a muscle like the one's found in your arm) to make that decision and augment their body to complete the decision on a physical level. 

This is just a personal opinion and is irrelevant.  If you wish to state something like this, provide some sort of proof or reasoning rather than just an assertion. Why is it "more than likely"? It fits conventional human intuition more easily and is therefore more comforting, but otherwise has no other basis. 

@mazik765

said:

I go back to the point of survivalist behavior. If our brains controlled our every movement and had everything planned out for us, sometimes for years in advance according to your statement, why would they bother to develop the concept of free will, only to have it need to constantly decieve us into thinking we have it. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just not develop the thought in the first place?   

Our brains do not "have everything planned out for us", it simply follows the same physical laws that everything else follows. When it executes an action, it is no different than when a plant or bacteria does so - it's merely on a higher level of complexity and thus more difficult to predict. As for survival responses, basic evolutionary theory states that animals adapt to their environment in gradual steps, they don't all of a sudden optimize themselves perfectly for it. To suggest that just because we have a survival response means we can mitigate non-survival related activities is foolish. You may as well ask why don't we breathe fire and sprout wings. 90% our DNA is junk DNA; this is a vestige of our evolutionary history, and vestiges of our anthropological past can be seen throughout the world as well. Perhaps you shouldn't be discussing survival ethology so much if you don't seem to have much knowledge of it.

@mazik765

said:

Also if your goal is survival of our species (as is the goal of most species) why do some brains allow people to commit suicide if they are controlling their bodies? There are certain survival reflexes we have adapted such as the inability to drown oneself (as your head will instinctively jerk up for air if yo just have your head dunked), so if our brain has these reflexes pretty obviously focused on the goal of survival, why would it allow someone to even consider the thought of suicide, much less carry out the act.

Suicidal thoughts may arise from certain neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain, that is why medicines such as fluoxetine (common name Prozac) are prescribed to, for instance, inhibit serotonin reuptake. That individuals try to live under any conditions possible is a faulty idea; we see this disproved with the altruism concept I mentioned earlier. Therefore it should be no surprise to you that behaviors such as suicide are also possible within the realm of survival ethology. Though no non-human animals execute suicide per se (as suicide entails a more abstract thought process), there are akin examples such as a dying animal simply lying down to wait for its death rather than attempting at all costs to continue following the herd. "To live at all costs" is not what the survival response is about, and you seem to have a lot of confusion in that area.  

@mazik765

said:

Also, these reflexes we have are moments of perhaps involuntary movement that we directly identify as such. Maybe you put your hand on a hot stove and your hand instinctively jerks away, or perhaps it is the drowning example previously mentioned. We notice these as times that our freedom of movement is taken away for a moment. If we never had freedom of our movement, why would these periods strike us as different in contrast? Surely our brains could trick us into thinking that these movements were voluntary if that's what was happening all the time. 

The reflex arc is a simplistic neural pathway that doesn't reach the brain, but rather the spine, unlike that of what we would call "voluntary" responses. It is formed as such to provide quick, one way response to mitigate damage as much as possible (if the signal had to reroute through the brain when in a situation such as putting a hand to a stove, significantly more damage could be done). Higher thought processes (such as wondering if you should see that new movie) incubate in our brain, which takes longer but is able to process higher order ideas. The difference is that voluntary action are able to take longer to process more information, therefore they are less predictable and have more diverse final outcomes, simulating a sense of "free-will". The principle is still unchanged though, these actions - both the reflex and the movie-seeing decision - are guided by ongoing chemical reactions which you have no awareness of or control over. How do you have a thought in the first place? Through neurotransmitter and synaptic transfer. By the time you've even started contemplating about free-will or how you had the thought, the chemical reaction has already been resolved. The thought and action comes after the chemical reaction, not before; there is no "you" existing outside of your physical domain that is able to guide chemical reactions beyond what would be dictated by their thermodynamics. 
KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By KillerBears

Free Will, but it depends on your definition. To think that given the exact same circumstances of any choice you've made in your past, your past self wouldn't make the exact same choice is downright silly. YOU are still making that choice though. 

Edit: after actually reading the responses (I'm an awesome member, huh?) I think the real debate here is what you consider to be your "self" or even the definition of "free will" entirely. I wouldn't say that biological and chemical processes control me, I'd say that I am those biological and chemical processes. In that case, the choices I make are the result of who I am, which is something close to my definition of free will. To my definition, it doesn't matter if you only are ultimately capable of making one choice, you still made it. Fuck, this is why I'm not a philosophy major.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mazik765
@Geno:  I'm not going to pull quotes from your post to try and keep the cumulative length to a minimum, but I'm sure you will know what I am talking about when I bring something up :)

I still don't see how you're theory of determinism would not require some sort of supreme deity or force. I am well aware that a single reaction could take as little time as several nanoseconds, but what about the over-arching reaction that the one action is part of that you mention. A reaction that takes several trillion steps over the course of a decade of instance. If nothing else in the world was happening and the chemical reaction could just keep moving forward as the reaction dictates, than I would be totally on board. But your brain does not have control of external forces, external forces that likely require your brain to make immediate choices that it could not have anticipated or had a reaction prepared for. Unless everything is moving in a very pre-ordained fashion (e.g. being controlled by a divine being) how could this happen? It can't. Your brain makes decisions, and thus chemical reactions, as a reaction to external inputs. There cannot be a cumulative chemical reaction which takes place over several years, because incoming inputs to not take years to appear and manifest before you. They take seconds. No 1+1=2 does not mean there is God. But if you told me 1's brain magically knew that the next digit would be 1 and thus already had a chemical reaction in the works that would arrive at 2, that puts forth an awfully convincing evidence as the the existence of a grater deity (which is not what I'm arguing, just to be clear :) ).

Also saying that it is just like asking why we don't have wings and breathe fire is the same as what I am suggesting to completely false. Not having evolved into a certain trait yet (e.g. who knows...maybe we will breath fire in the future) or having evolved out of the use of something that we once needed for survival (such as the tailbone) is one thing. Evolving a useless trait only to have to spend energy on deceiving the creature that it has said trait (when in reality it doesn't) is another entirely. Why would the brain evolve to have the idea of free will if it serves no practical survival purpose and take additional energy to keep up this arbitrary charade for it's entire existence? 

And living at all costs is exactly what survival responses are about; not for the individual but for the species. The example you use of an animal laying down and dying is pretty simple to explain, since if it were to stay with the herd it would slow the entire herd down and make it more vulnerable. So it decides to give itself up to allow the species (or at least the herd) to survive. Human suicide does not fit into this. Why would a perfectly healthy individual decide to take their own life if our brains complex and logical chemical reactions which should be based on survival impulses are controlling our every move?

Also the reflex must go through the brain because your body will not identify pain or danger until your nervous system has transmitted this to your brain. I'm not arguing that we do not have chemicals reaction in our brain and neurotransmitters moving throughout our body. I am arguing that we are in more control over them then you put forth. We do not have control over the incoming information our body receives, but we do have control over our outward reaction. Similarly we don't have control over the external consequence that the outward reaction creates.

@KillerBears said:
" Free Will, but it depends on your definition. To think that given the exact same circumstances of any choice you've made in your past, your past self wouldn't make the exact same choice is downright silly. YOU are still making that choice though. 

Edit: after actually reading the responses (I'm an awesome member, huh?) I think the real debate here is what you consider to be your "self" or even the definition of "free will" entirely. I wouldn't say that biological and chemical processes control me, I'd say that I am those biological and chemical processes. In that case, the choices I make are the result of who I am, which is something close to my definition of free will. To my definition, it doesn't matter if you only are ultimately capable of making one choice, you still made it. Fuck, this is why I'm not a philosophy major. "
This is pretty much exactly what I am arguing, haha. This is exactly why I am a philosophy major :P
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Geno
@mazik765 said:

I still don't see how you're theory of determinism would not require some sort of supreme deity or force. I am well aware that a single reaction could take as little time as several nanoseconds, but what about the over-arching reaction that the one action is part of that you mention. A reaction that takes several trillion steps over the course of a decade of instance. If nothing else in the world was happening and the chemical reaction could just keep moving forward as the reaction dictates, than I would be totally on board. But your brain does not have control of external forces, external forces that likely require your brain to make immediate choices that it could not have anticipated or had a reaction prepared for. Unless everything is moving in a very pre-ordained fashion (e.g. being controlled by a divine being) how could this happen? It can't. Your brain makes decisions, and thus chemical reactions, as a reaction to external inputs. There cannot be a cumulative chemical reaction which takes place over several years, because incoming inputs to not take years to appear and manifest before you. They take seconds. No 1+1=2 does not mean there is God. But if you told me 1's brain magically knew that the next digit would be 1 and thus already had a chemical reaction in the works that would arrive at 2, that puts forth an awfully convincing evidence as the the existence of a grater deity (which is not what I'm arguing, just to be clear :) ).

Chemical reactions are deterministic and happen independent of an observer or a designer. When water undergoes acid base equilibrium it doesn't require someone to tell it to do so, nor does it require someone to watch it do so. You are still claiming that "you" control your chemical reactions, not the other way around, but you have yet to prove how any such mechanism could possibly exist. What is this "you" that can control the laws of thermodynamics, an interdimensional being? There is no proof such a thing can or does exist. The external inputs act on your receptors, which then effect a response based on their behavior that is guided by the laws of nature. The cumulative effect of that over several years lends to your current state. 

@mazik765

said:

Also saying that it is just like asking why we don't have wings and breathe fire is the same as what I am suggesting to completely false. Not having evolved into a certain trait yet (e.g. who knows...maybe we will breath fire in the future) or having evolved out of the use of something that we once needed for survival (such as the tailbone) is one thing. Evolving a useless trait only to have to spend energy on deceiving the creature that it has said trait (when in reality it doesn't) is another entirely. Why would the brain evolve to have the idea of free will if it serves no practical survival purpose and take additional energy to keep up this arbitrary charade for it's entire existence? 

By your logic everything that currently exists within the realm of humanity exists as contributor to survival. This is simply not true, our appendix as a physical example and religion as an anthropological example (let's not forget, oh, every disease in the world as well). Again, you seem to misunderstand evolution; by definition it doesn't seek to be perfect, only "good enough" and with plenty of room for error.  

@mazik765

said:

And living at all costs is exactly what survival responses are about; not for the individual but for the species. The example you use of an animal laying down and dying is pretty simple to explain, since if it were to stay with the herd it would slow the entire herd down and make it more vulnerable. So it decides to give itself up to allow the species (or at least the herd) to survive. Human suicide does not fit into this. Why would a perfectly healthy individual decide to take their own life if our brains complex and logical chemical reactions which should be based on survival impulses are controlling our every move?

You contradict yourself a bit here as earlier you mentioned altruism as a trait that goes unexplained as a point against my argument, yet here you go explaining it and using it in your own. Anyway, as mentioned above survival is not about living at all costs, and there is plenty of room for error. You may as well ask why some people are born dumber or weaker than others if maximum intelligence and strength are obviously the best survival traits.  

@mazik765

said:

Also the reflex must go through the brain because your body will not identify pain or danger until your nervous system has transmitted this to your brain. I'm not arguing that we do not have chemicals reaction in our brain and neurotransmitters moving throughout our body. I am arguing that we are in more control over them then you put forth. We do not have control over the incoming information our body receives, but we do have control over our outward reaction. Similarly we don't have control over the external consequence that the outward reaction creates.

No Caption Provided
Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Linkin10362

Fate guides me to my end, I follow it blindly wondering what will happen next.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mazik765
@Geno:  And why can't one control a chemical reaction? Can a human not create an external chemical reaction in a lab to desire an external effect? Is it really so abstract to believe that our brain has chemical reaction that we identify with external actions and so when we decide that we want to do something, our brain creates this chemical reaction and our body does it? Similarly when our we decide we want to move our arm we don't think 'Oh now I will extend and contract these muscles and grasp this object'. It is a movement we relate to an external action and our body completes the necessary bodily functions to achieve that. Of course there are involuntary chemical reaction we have no control over (e.g. puberty, or adrenaline). I don't see how it is so abstract an idea to be in control of the chemical reactions of your brain.

@Geno said: 
By your logic everything that currently exists within the realm of humanity exists as contributor to survival. This is simply not true, our appendix as a physical example and religion as an anthropological example (let's not forget, oh, every disease in the world as well). Again, you seem to misunderstand evolution; by definition it doesn't seek to be perfect, only "good enough" and with plenty of room for error. 
That's exactly my point. If the brain simply responded to chemical reactions it would have no need beyond survival. But we do. We have music, architecture, sculptures and, of course, video games. But yet humans to strive for this perfection. Also I don't know what you mean by humans creating diseases. Maybe for biological weapons but this is only a recent technology.

@Geno said:  
You contradict yourself a bit here as earlier you mentioned altruism as a trait that goes unexplained as a point against my argument, yet here you go explaining it and using it in your own. Anyway, as mentioned above survival is not about living at all costs, and there is plenty of room for error. You may as well ask why some people are born dumber or weaker than others if maximum intelligence and strength are obviously the best survival traits. 
I'm using it because altruism is something that makes sense to exist in animals, but less so in humans. Animals in the wild struggle to ensure the safety of their next generation and their species. Humans don't have this requirement (at least not to the extreme wild animals do). Let's say a human runs into a house to save a child; that makes sense as an altruistic instinct. But what if they rush into the house to save an elderly person? A dog? Money? None of these make sense. Maximum strength and intelligence is not preferable since in a social species (like humans are) this creates leadership struggles.
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#95  Edited By Hector

Free Will. Nothing is written.

dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By dunderri

Fate. Simply cause it sounds cooler.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Geno
@mazik765: You seem to be confused by one vital point, and there is no point in me constantly correcting your misconceptions about biology, therefore I will simplify this for you. This is the central point: 

---
A chemical reaction is deterministic. (1+1=2)
We are nothing but a large chemical system. (1+1+1+1+1) 
Our outcomes are deterministic.  (=5)
--- 

External inputs (what we get with our senses) trigger reactions that all abide by the laws of nature, making their effects deterministic as well. (5+2=7)

Therefore, given 1+1+1+1+1+2 we always get 7.   

(Further inputs, reactions etc. would just build upon the previous outcome in the same mathemetical and deterministic way). 

What free will dictates is, given the same initial conditions we can get any outcome we want: 1+1+1+1+1+2=any number. This is mathematically incorrect, the previous equation gives rise to only one discrete outcome. If you are about to suggest that we "choose" which numbers go into the previous equation before the outcome is even calculated, then you have to  

a) prove that "we" are separate from the physical domain, since if "we" were a part of it then "we" would be in a determinate system. A determinate system affecting another determinate system would still yield a determinate result. 
b) explain the mechanism of how "we" are able to be separate from the physical domain yet still manipulate it ; are "we" all interdimensional god-like creatures? 

I would appreciate a logical answer this time rather than a set of misguided examples on a subject you are unfamiliar with. 
timmysprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By timmysprinkles

People sure do get intense about online debates...

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By mazik765
@Geno:  Well good thing you simplified it for me because your infinite wisdom had confused my puny, inferior mind.

I grasp your central point, as I have for the past several posts. I will own up to being misguided and mistaken about the nervous system, I had confused some notes I had from class earlier this year. I don't see how my points about altruism and evolution are misguided though. As far as I'm concerned my points still stand, and you not addressing them doesn't make it less valid. I would have appreciated some civility instead of having you just launching attacks against my intelligence when I bring up completely valid points.  

Our conscious is separate from the physical world. Our conscious mind only knows the physical world as electrical impulses being interpreted by our 5 senses. For all I know I am actually a brain sitting in a jar having areas of my brain stimulated to perceived what I am perceiving around me. My body, my house, my friends, and the lovely internet people I get into discussions with might not be real. So this would make me separate from the physical domain. I am able to still alter this physical domain by moving my perceived body and my brain interpreting this as having a physical effect on the world. It does not require one to be an omnipotent God. 

Even neuroscience points to a degree of free will, or at least a 'free won't'. Although evidence points to the subconscious mind creating action impulses several milliseconds before the conscious mind is aware of it, the concious mind still has direct control on whether to complete this impulse, modify it or veto it.

Also why is 'we' in quotes? Is 'we' now a term that means something other than what the word normally designates?
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#100  Edited By Whisperkill

Red Pill