Random Access Memories - Love it or hate it

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By itsVASH

Having listened to the album now that its streaming on itunes and all, I gotta say its exactly what I expected. Having grown up listening to their stuff, Discovery being the first album I bought, this is the Daft Punk I remember. After what seems like their mainstream popularity after the Alive 2007 tour everyone expects crazy techno from them, but this Album has the electric feel with a lot more traditional styles of music from classical, funk, jazz, basic alternative, just straight up pop music, you name it. There ability to mesh genres is what drew me to them initially and having listened to the new album it seems like a clear progression from all the work they have done from their previous albums, to their tours, and even a bit of classical elements learned from doing a certain movie score. While it may not be your generic Techno/trance... electronic music... they have clearly released the Album they wanted to and have essentially set the foundation down for their inevitable Alive 2017 tour. So have you guys heard the new album, what do you all think of it?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think it is badass and I am planning to hand them my money in about... 4 days. Get Lucky in particular is a great track.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

It's incredible. Really love it. There's good variety to the tracks, and I think Game of Love, Fragments of Time, Get Lucky, and Within are standout songs. Easily the most listenable Daft Punk album for me. I'd say it's the best work they've ever done.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I'm in neither place. It's good. I don't "love" most of it. I do love "Giorgio By Moroder" and "Get Lucky," though, and I think "Touch" and "Contact" are rad.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By itsVASH

@quid_pro_bono: I'm almost their probably need a few more listens before I think of it as the best... still think Giorgio by Moroder is the best track on the album

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking it a lot! My favorite song from the album probably has to be "Within"

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, after listening to it multiple times it seems to continuously get better each play through. Some of my favoirtes are "Instant Crush," "Give Life Back To Music," "Touch," and "Doin It Right." Almost all the songs on the album are fantastic though.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsvash: I tend to shy away from the word "epic" but Giorgio by Moroder and Contact are just that.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By dethfish

I love it, but I am also a little bummed out by it at the same time. I was hoping for more of the classic Daft Punk house music style. RAM is still really good though, in its own way, I guess. My current favorite song is probably "Lose Yourself to Dance".There's actually only a couple of tracks that I don't love.

Alive 2007 is still my favorite album though. Can't wait till 2017, hopefully they'll do another Alive album.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I definitely love it. My favorite songs are Contact and Instant Crush.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail

I don't generally like Daft Punk, but since I was into the TRON soundtrack I gave it a listen. It's alright! The last track in particular, Contact, is a hot, ominous synthesizer mess and that's sweet. The rest of the album isn't so much like that, but I might still listen to it again.

I'm also surprised by how much I like having Panda Bear in a Daft Punk song. It's an odd fit but pretty damn good.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MikeFightNight

It's free on itunes right now, awesome. Listened to the first 3 mins, I'm liking the disco influence. I must listen the rest later when I'm at a good set of speakers.

I haven't heard that Get Lucky track but, this Mexican Monkey one is dope as hell.

Loading Video...

Also, you're welcome.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#13  Edited By Wemibelle

How would I know? It isn't out until next Tuesday. Can't wait!

Islaja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doin' It Right is the best song on the album (I got a pretty severe crush on Panda Bear). And Get Lucky is great. The rest of the album feels pretty meh for me right now. Hopefully it's a grower.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#16  Edited By Wemibelle
platina32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By platina32

I think it is not as bad as some people claim it to be, I like it quite a lot, in fact. Although I think at this moment I still prefer Discovery, although that might change after a few more listens.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Alexander
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a decent pop album. Can't ask for much more than that.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By baldgye

It's growing into one of my fav albums of all time. I'm a huge Daft Punk fan and its alot more than I expected, I really thought it was going to be more Discovery, but some of the tracks go alot darker than I was expecting which is so awesome.

Also, can't understand why people don't love 'Touch'.. but meh :P

I'm really really happy with it and can't wait to blast it out when the vinyl arrives :D

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was never really into Daft Punk (the last song I actually remember of theirs and can recall they tune to is harder better faster stronger or something and I think I only know that because of the Kanye song...). I have to say I'm really enjoying this album and that Giorgio track is amazing! Now I just need to get some money to throw at them.

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By positrark

It's pretty amazing in my opinion, and reading the pitchfork article on the creation and thought process behind the album just increased the respect I have for it. The variety and joy of music that comes through is fantastic, and the album seems to get better with each listen. It's also the first album in a long time where I have little interest in discussing individual songs. This because the album is much greater than the sum of its parts. E.g. I didn't really enjoy Get Lucky that much as a single, but as a progression in the album with the new intro, it's great. .

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JouselDelka

Love it, as well as their earlier work

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I bought the album and listened to it. I think it's very well produced and has a lot of interesting ideas going. It's no Discovery though.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate it, overrated as fuck.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fairly meh. But I've never been a daft punk fan so I guess it was to be expected.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 sweep  Moderator
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dethfish

@sweep: Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing some remixes too. I have the feeling there'll be quite a few good ones.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving it. 1 or 2 'meh' tracks for me, but the rest I'm really digging.

In particular, Instant Crush, Beyond, Doin' it Right, and Give Life Back To Music.

Really, the only song I'm not that into is Contact. For some reason people are raving about it, I don't really like it that much. It's a decent closer to the record, but I thought it was boring and repetitive.

Alucrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would people be expecting techno from the duo that revived house? That said, it's no Homework.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Winternet

I've just listen to it and initial impressions are: it's not that good.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's not their best, but I love the shit out of it!

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I love it. It's basically Daft Punk's version of going acoustic. "Lose Yourself to Dance" is great to just chill to.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it. Great departure and solid stand alone album.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: Whoaaaaa best remix ever made? And Doin' it Right was one of my least favorite tracks on the new album. But this is a fucking great mix.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack said:

Love it. Great departure and solid stand alone album.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sanious

@nikoran said:

Hate it, overrated as fuck.

Odd when all I see is a mix of opinions about the album. Also "overrated" never made sense to me because when one person doesn't like something and a large margin of other people do, it becomes "overrated."

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Devil240Z

I really like it. So many good tracks. I don't see it as a departure of anything just the next thing from daft punk. Doin it right might be my favorite song on it, the bass is too good to ignore.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Seppli

Given a binary choice like that? I hate it. That's of course taking it too far. It's just most of the album feels more like lounge music or some artsy tribute to music I don't care for too much, rather than the frantic high energy electro disco/party/dance music I've come to associate with Daft Punk. Lounge music is almost as bad as elevator music man.

Get Lucky feels the most familiar, and that's saying a lot, because it's nothing like a classic Daft Punk track. I like Doin' It Right too. Contact is my favorite of the bunch. It's the only one with a decent punch to it. The rest I don't really care for all too much. Only heard the album once thus far, but I found most of it rather boring. If I'd smoke some weed and hang, I'd probably like it better. Should be called *Daft Punk's Lounge Album Vol. 1* or something.