Rate Games by dollars

studpidreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By studpidreal

I think games should be rated in terms of how much one would be willing to spend on a game. A great game would be full price (the 5 star) down to "you'd have to pay me full price to play this".

studpidreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By studpidreal

I think games should be rated in terms of how much one would be willing to spend on a game. A great game would be full price (the 5 star) down to "you'd have to pay me full price to play this".

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vestigial_Man

It might work for a small blog but larger websites would just confuse people coming purely for the score. Also, Metacritic would be absolutely screwed if people started doing this

studpidreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By studpidreal

Yea, it would be a little niche to start, but if it were on a site like Cheap Ass Gamer or similarly price focused site, it would be interesting. And Metacritic is broken in so many ways, adding this wouldn't hurt it more. ;)

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By one_2nd

Actually a pretty good idea. 

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By nukesniper

You can interpret any review to this. The issue is that it is hard to write a review saying what the reader would spend on a game. If you want the "What Chris (me) would spend the full price on" reviews, only a handful from the last year would get the 5 star deal. However I get it. I pay full price for the best games (Starcraft 2 and Portal 2 recently) and I wait until $40 for the second set of games (Hot Pursuit, AC:B), and then the 2-3 star games would be my "Hey, it is on clearance for $12" games.

I think the direct issue here is that everything that doesn't get 5 stars is basically counter advertising itself. Sure that is the case now, but it is extremely direct if you admit your scale is such. A website probably couldn't advertise for a lot of games if they made their way by basically telling people what they can wait for or pass on. This is why games are only declared as "Must Have!" Websites aren't going to shaft the people they advertise for by saying "Yeah, this game is pretty good, but you could wait for a price drop or a rental."

Research your own games and decide what you would spend on something. Don't ask for a website that tells you not to buy something. Instead, look for a website that tells you what to buy. Think about it. Amazon recommends thousands of things to you hoping that only one of those things would stick. I see what you mean (in that you want a 5-star review to be the must-have, must-play games), but I think that advertisers and other people will see it more as "Game A only got 3 stars. That means there are at least 2 reasons not to buy that game."
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Really, how much I pay for a game can really change how I feel about it and how much I'm willing to play it. I noticed that games I buy for cheap, I'm less likely to play them. If I'm paying full price, I really want to get my money's worth out of it.

studpidreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By studpidreal

@nukesniper  I can definitely see your point. That dollar point is different for everyone. It might be interesting to have a personal modifier that would create a "must buy" list that would take into account review, reviewer, type of game, and a few other possible factors. It definitely would be a different type of site than a traditional review site, but I could imagine there would be a certain utility for a lot of people.