Rate the Last Book You Read

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 14

I reread Lord of the Rings after buying a special edition from Barnes and Noble. How would you rate the last book you read?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Shopaholic to the Rescue by Sophie Kinsela.

Not her best work, but if you've enjoyed the others there's enough here for a fun read.

Mode7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mode7

Finished The Forever War recently. A really great read if you like hard sci fi. I also recommend that and Starship Troopers to anybody serving in the military.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mode7: what's hard sci-fi? never heard of the term

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Just finished The Martian and Masters of Doom.

Both were awesome reads! I thoroughly enjoyed the Martian book more than the movie, and Masters of Doom instantly brought me back to my childhood playing Doom 1 and 2.

Mode7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billmcneal: Hard sci fi tends to avoid "magic technology" that solves all problems. For example, The Forever War talks about relativity and the passage of time as well as the stresses on the body from accelerations and deceleration in space travel.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Finished Foley is Good yesterday. Thought it was really great!

4/5

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Green Eggs and Ham

5/5

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Leviathan Wakes

5/5

After, I heard there's a TV show, but the trailer looked pretty awful.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 38

Furiously Happy - Jenny Lawson

4/5. It's a very funny book, and occasionally a smart look at mental illness. I wish it focused itself a little more on the latter.

Me Before You

2/5. Offensive garbage that hits every predictable note you expect it to.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By David

@mightyduck: I'm not even a huge Doom fan but I loved that book. I can't even remember what the last book I read was...

jonez120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. (Includes every one of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, including Baskervilles. Also has all of Sydney Paget's original illustrations and a bunch of commentary.)

All in all 10/10

phoenix6153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds.

Interesting mystery about 2 siblings trying to solve a puzzle left by their grandmother over 60 years prior. The ending was rather vague though. Rest of the story was good.

3/5

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read Jon Ronson's "So You've Been Publically Shamed," and that was excellent. Really made me rethink some of my internet habits.

5/5 - Can't recommend it enough, especially if you're the kind of person who posts on a message board.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I finished The Gunslinger, which I wouldn't give more than 3/5. Its kinda dull frankly, until the last 30 pages that made me really excited with its really crazy concepts. I started The Drawing of the Three though and 200 pages in I already like it more than the entire Gunslinger, so its all good.

Before that I read Blindsight by Peter Watts, which I loved. 4/5.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin - 4/5

I can see how some people may have been put off by this one. Especially after A Storm of Swords was so action packed and was(to me) the best in the series up to that point. AFfC is the shortest of the books and the slowest in terms of plot progression. I liked this however. It served as a good cool down from the climactic acts of ASoS, but by its end established that things in Westeros are going to get far worse before they get any better. It got me hype.

My favorite parts were the adventures of Brienne and Pod in the war ravaged Riverlands. Jaime's growing disillusionment towards Cersei and courtly life was interesting too. Hell, even the tedious Dorne and Samwell subplots I found intriguing. I'm reading A Dance with Dragons now. It's a bit weird having to backtracking to stuff on The Wall and in the East when I just want to know what happens next.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

It felt very intrusive at times, especially knowing Otto Frank had chosen to omit some of the parts about her sexuality when he first published it, and it is hard to know how much has been altered in translation. Those contextual qualms aside, it is a wonderful diary to read, not just from a historical perspective but reflecting but on herself as a teenager and becoming aware of the world around her. Most people have likely read it but I very much recommend it! 5/5

Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl - Carrie Brownstein

Another book that comes to mind that I read last month and has stuck with me. I am a big Sleater Kinney fan, and interested in the riot grrl scene, so the reflections Carrie had on those parts were great to read. What I loved the most though was Carrie's writing style, I read it in one sitting simply because the memoir flowed so well and kept me hooked. My favourite book I read last year for sure. 5/5

Avatar image for deactivated-57ec1020ef4eb
deactivated-57ec1020ef4eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

I would recommend this to pretty much anyone who likes reading. It has a reputation for being difficult, but I found I couldn't put the book down. It's definitely the saddest book that I have ever read, but also one of my favorites now.

5/5

Avatar image for deactivated-57ec1020ef4eb
deactivated-57ec1020ef4eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: I think A Feast for Crows gets a bad rap. I agree with you; I thought the Brienne and Pod chapters were great. I also think the slow pace added to the sense of dread in the book.

Avatar image for washablemarkers
washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By washablemarkers

Room - Emma Donoghue

3/5

Liked the last third a whole lot more than what came before it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

Children of the Comet

2.5/5

Too technical for it's own good, with little character growth throughout.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do graphic novels count? If so, then Vagabond vol 15, which was pretty good.

If not, then it was The Colour of Magic, which was pretty funny in a random non-sequitor this guy is crazy sort of way, but had a lot of pacing issues.

BravePoptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BravePoptart

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson

2/5

Not the space adventure I was looking for.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By davidh219

The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson. 4/5. Don't really have that much to say about it though, so I'll add the book I read before that as well.

The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson. 5/5. His 6th book in the Mistborn series, and the third in the industrial revolution era cycle. Sanderson is a fantastic and incredibly consistent writer in general, and Mistborn is arguably the most consistent and solid thing he's got going, not to mention rather groundbreaking. I'm not aware of another fantasy author who's taken his fantasy world from medieval period to industrial period, much less one that plans to do an 80s era and then turn it into a space opera eventually to cap it off. It's always got great action, likable characters, enough moral quandaries to chew on, and consistently doles out new and startling revelations about the world, its secret history, and how the magical elements actually work behind the scenes. Can't recommend it enough.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nineteen-Eighty four by George Orwell 4/5

There is a very interesting world and political message in this book, and an excellent commentary on human thought tendencies. Weird characters though.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carcass427: Infinite Jest is only really difficult in how long it is. At times I guess it can be a bit difficult to follow all the different plot threads and the way they relate to each other. I just recently read it and would also highly recommend it.

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda: It's all right. I liked it a bit more than the book actually.

I recently read Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari. Nice voice to the writing and some interesting stats stuff. Extremely readable.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fleshstealer, Book One of the Kormak Saga by William King.

I had read 8-10 of William King's books (Space Wolves, Gotrek and Felix) and loved them. This book was a pale shadow of his other works. Was a big disappointment. The good thing was that it was free.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I finished reading William Shakespeare's Star Wars, The Empire Striketh Back, and The Jedi Doth Return. It was a fun way to learn how Shakespeare writes. Going to be reading Hamlet and Macbeth soon.

Just look at that cover!
Just look at that cover!

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this strictly fiction? If not, then "The Algorithm Design Manual" by Steven Skiena. It's somewhere midway between a beginner's guide to algorithm and an algorithm reference manual. Started reading it to bone up on concepts for job interviews. Didn't understand much of it, but that it probably because I read too quickly. Needs time to be studied and processed. Dynamic Programming in particular is a subject that goes ever my head no matter how often I read about it.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horus Heresy: Pharos

I overall like this book and the series in general despite some of it's flaws.

4/5

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

I thought it was ok, but I feel like there was a way deeper, more thought provoking story that could have been told with that concept. Maybe he gets into it more in the later books in that universe.

I also just started reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Finished Lemmy's autobiography, "White Line Fever," last week. I really enjoyed it. If I wasn't laughing out loud, I had a stupid grin on my face most of the time. It gives an interesting look into one of metal's most iconic figures and the history of his band. It's a shame I didn't read this before his passing late last year. 5/5

Currently reading Scott Ian's autobiography, "I'm the Man."

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The last book I read (last month) was Fahrenheit 451. Like most literary significant books from the 20th century, it took me about 50 pages or so to get into it, but once I did I liked it. So, I guess I'd give it 5/5. There was nothing I outright disliked about it and (like 1984) is gave me an important perspective on our own modern society. Right now I'm halfway through the first Dark Tower book The Gunslinger.

Avatar image for thatonedudenick
ThatOneDudeNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThatOneDudeNick

Just read "The Martian". I haven't seen the movie yet. Book was good, 4/5. My rating shouldn't mean much, as this was the first fiction I've read in probably 6 or 7 years. I don't generally enjoy reading fiction but thought this was quite good. I want to find more books like that. It felt like sci-fi grounded in reality. I'd read more fiction about space travel that doesn't have straight up magic tech.

I just started "Metro 2033" solely because I love the games and figured it would be easy to jump into since I'm familiar with its world. It's weird stepping back into fiction, so I'm taking baby steps. I'll check back in when I'm done.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Blood and Guts: A Short History of Medicine by Roy Porter. Concise and readable, but sometimes a little list like. At times it has the feeling of this happened (year) then this happened (year) and so on, where really good history gets a bit more personal and has fun with the details and puts them in a useful context. Overall, does the job, decent read, mostly satisfied my interest.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DonPixel

Just finished The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

I gave it a 4 out 5 quesadillas

Because it is more Witcher, and more Witcher is always good

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Salem's Lot - 4/5: It has a really strong start and middle, but it's ending doesn't meet expectations. I really like the King sticks to the old-school vampire lore and rules while still making a compelling story. It's loosely, but not really, tied to Jerusalem's Lot(short story by King). I really wish he tied it more with that some how, but that's alright. The short story actually came as part of the Kindle version of Salem, so that was cool

A Monster Calls - 5/5: I picked this up as a pallet cleanser of sorts. Salem's Lot took me a few weeks to read, so I wanted something I could burn through in under a week. This met that mark and exceeded by expectations by just being a fantastic book. I highly recommend it if you are looking for something short, but will still pack a punch.

I am now reading through It. I am really enjoying it, but I fucked up by not looking at the length(A little over 1300 pages!). I try to read between 30 mins to an hour a night, so I will be working on this for weeks to come.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By betaband

3/5

DukeMcFrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ready Player One: Awesome concept, terribly story and characters.

I also got about half-way through Mona Lisa Overdrive before I realized it was actually the third book in series. Going to start Count Zero now.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By Toastburner_B

Bands of Mourning (Mistborn series) by Brandon Sanderson: 5/5. I am a Brandon Sanderson fanboy, and books like this are why. This might have been my favorite book of his in a while. Completely agree with what @davidh219 said about it.

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks: 3/5. Pretty good, but not quite great. I still have hopes for this series, so I'll read the next one in it sooner or later.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 9

The last book I read was Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

It's all about the establishment of an overseeing government agency in San Francisco after a terrorist attack and a group of people who fight back against the restrictions on freedom and personal liberty (POLICE STATE). My favorite part of the book is how in-depth it goes into computer security and subverting online observation, explaining things thoroughly but being easily understood at the same time. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending, or a couple of the characters, but it's a pretty well-written example of a potential future of government control.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't finished it yet, but after the Tested guys kept talking about I've been moving through Seveneves, Neal Stephenson's latest novel. Holy shit this thing is crazy. Easiest way to describe it is The Martian on steroids mixed with Asimov's The Foundation. The science talk in it is dense, like really dense. I'm glad I have a very strong grasp on orbital mechanics and find it interesting, because this book focuses on it in a big way. The bit I wasn't expecting is it's dark. Like really dark. I've never felt so crushed reading a book as I did at the start of the second part. It's for a reason the reader knows is coming, and it's still brutal because of how Stephenson depicts it. If you like hard sci fi stuff, this is about as hard as it gets to my knowledge. So far 5/5, but I'm worried that the ending may not hold up to the earlier story, so there is still some room to drop a point.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The King In Yellow. Interesting start, but loses steam after the main theme is done.

agathies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ready Player One was the last book I read. Parts were fun and it was an entertaining escape but the characters seemed juvenile and were poorly written. Reminded me of the types of books I read in middle school.

Now I'm reading old X-Men. Currently on the "dark phoenix saga" storyline. It's fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Books:

• Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - 5/5 - Excellent. This book is rad.
  • The Martian - 5/5 - Very good book that mixes humour and science in an enjoyable way throughout.

Comic Arcs / Runs:

• The Superior Foes of Spider-Man - 5/5 - An entertaining adventure for some of the minor league villains and characters in the Marvel / Spider-Man universe.
ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kwaidan, ghost folk stories from japan

Getting myself hyped for my trip in a few weeks.

it was a little dry but it still held up a lot better than I expected. 3/5

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also read 1984 a long while ago and found it creepy and haunting. It was really good.