#5151 Posted by Nodima (2569 posts) -

@wollywoo said:

The Vietnam War - 5/5. I am only six out of ten episodes in, but it's clear to me that this should be required viewing for every high school student in the US. Absolutely brutal and exhausting and tragic. (also it has a great soundtrack.)

Yeah, as someone who holds a particular fondness for Fragile era Nine Inch Nails, it's really jarring yet cool (and, probably more appropriately, affecting) to hear so many new takes on old piano and guitar riffs from the Fragile days. The completely original works are pretty heart pounding as well.

#5152 Posted by ichthy (1353 posts) -

Also just chiming in about MI6, holy crap that was a gorgeous movies. Some of those shots during the HALO jump and the helicopter scenes were beautiful. It also clocks in at two and a half hours, but the pacing is so tight that you really don't feel the length. The movie just goes.

#5153 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@hobozero said:

The Death of Stalin: 5/5. Highly recommended if you like dark comedy (like, really dark). Wonderful cast (especially enjoyed Michael Palin and Jason Isaacs - he should do more comedy). Kind of like Nineteen Eighty-Four by way of Arrested Development.

Good call. Now, I don't understand satire, satirizing current politics is a disservice to the public, which is already politically passive and apathetic. While satirizing the remote past feels weird, like trivializing yet another genocide. Even weirder is the fact that the movie (stage-/screenplay) is based on a comic book.

Overall The Death of Stalin is exceptional and pretty great, because people in mortal fear tend to act like in slapstick and they think it's normal to sit through a concert twice, or shout out these stupid slogans every time they get to speaking.

It's a unique look into Secret History that may have played out that way. Like a CCCP version of House of Cards, but good. It's funny because it's true. And this one is true enough.

NKVD / 5

#5154 Posted by BrunoTheThird (824 posts) -

As a huge fan of The Thick of It, In the Loop, and Veep, I went into Death of Stalin way too hyped. I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved the performances, but it's such a different vibe to its spiritual brethren. It's actually extremely dark and very effective as a pure political drama -- almost more effective than it is as a comedy, actually. They aren't all belly laughs, they're often clever nudges and smirks, winks to the audience, or fantastically foul tirades that, unlike Malcolm Tucker's empty threats, genuinely will end in murder, and that's more than funny, it's scary at the same time. That's a huge positive, but it was not the gleeful comedy I expected; everyone is an awful monster with no subtlety, and it got a bit tiresome, but not unbearable.

It's a much more balanced dance of drama and humor than Iannucci's other work, with a bold visual style and just an overall more filmic quality to it than In the Loop, which is a glorified TV special (and a brilliant one). It felt like a Wes Anderson film at times, mostly Grand Budapest Hotel, i.e: a ridiculously strong cast all hamming it up and loving their pantomime characters, prancing around in their fine outfits in a colorful, detail-packed world and not giving a shit. Pretty great stuff, even if I went into it with the most misplaced expectations ever.

#5155 Edited by liquiddragon (3281 posts) -

Eighth Grade - Seems like it was my last MoviePass movie but at least it was a good one. I definitely recommend it if you're into coming of age stories.

#5156 Posted by wollywoo (230 posts) -

@nodima: Cool, I knew Trent Reznor worked on it but didn't realize there were versions of his older stuff in there because I never really listened to him. I was amazed at the breadth of the iconic, licensed music they managed to get from the 60's (Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, etc.) Not to mention Yo-Yo Ma.

#5157 Posted by cannoli (46 posts) -

Ikiru — tl;dr Guilt Trip: The Movie. Amazing performance by Takashi Shimura. Fantastic second half.

It was weird watching an Akira Kurosawa movie without Toshiro Mifune in the leading role. It starts pretty slowly like most of Kurosawa's movies, though it doesn't build as well as something like Seven Samurai or Hidden Fortress. It picks up steam about halfway through and ends about as strong as any movie out there. I can't wait to watch it again with historian Stephen Prince's commentary (he does the commentary track for most Kurosawa movies, and provides a lot of interesting insight). It was a nice change of pace from all of Kurosawa's period piece films, though I still don't think anything matches the Yojimbo/Sanjuro double feature for movie night.

#5158 Posted by ThunderWolfVX (7 posts) -

Spider-Man Homecoming - ugh.......the objective part of me wants to give it a 8/10, but the classic Spidey fan in me wants to give it a 3/10. I miss the classic Spidey, the one that worked freelance at the Daily Bugle taking pictures of Spider-Man for money, went to University, was either dating Mary Jane or Black Cat, or was married to Mary Jane, who's suit was an actual costume and not armor which same goes for the bad guys, and who actually tried to keep his frigging secret identity a frigging secret!

What I don't want to see is more "Ultimate Spider-Man", I've had enough "Ultimate Spider-Man", I'm sick to death of "Ultimate Spider-Man". if you ask me, none of the Spider-Man movies have nailed the character yet, or the world around the character, not even the Raimi ones which everyone seems to love but me...

#5162 Posted by DoctorOdds (41 posts) -

@cannoli: Ikiru is my favourite Kurosawa film, but I feel that it is underwatched (although that goes for most good films from the 50s and 60s). I haven’t listened to the commentary track yet, but this film already resonates deeply with me - the exploration of the purpose of living in particular . I believe it is also a reflection of Japan coming into its postwar era and tries to convey the nation’s search for meaning.

I frequently watch the final sequence where Shimura delivers his haunting but warm rendition of Gondola no Uta, in the snow on a swing set. For me, that scene is among the greatest moments in film, next to the Tears in Rain speech from Blade Runner.

Have you seen A Fistful of Dollars? It borrows it’s plot from Yojjmbo. I saw Fistful before I watched Yojimbo, but I feel like Sergio Leone’s film makes more sense.

#5163 Posted by cannoli (46 posts) -

@doctorodds: I actually started backwards in a way. I saw Good, Bad, and Ugly on tv by happenstance and ended up getting the Man with No Name trilogy. Then I moved to Kurosawa via the Yojimbo/Dollars connection. I don't think I can pick a favorite movie between Leone and Kurosawa, though I think the final duel between Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West may be my favorite scene out of all their movies that I've seen.

This was my first modern day Kurosawa film, so it was pretty amusing seeing all of Toho's regular actors in suits without the bald haircuts. It's a pretty dour movie in tone so I can understand why it wouldn't be super popular for most folks, but I appreciated it a lot more after watching it a second time with commentary.

#5164 Edited by JadeGL (1407 posts) -

I haven't posted in a while, but I figured I would add to the discussion -

Red Sparrow - On a 5 star scaled, this would get a 2/5. I just did not enjoy it, especially the second half. I think I am kind of a spy movie/show snob. I watched (and loved) The Americans, so watching this after that was like eating Cool Whip out of the plastic tub versus fancy, homemade ice cream out of a crystal bowl. Sure, it was beautifully shot and had some intense moments, but the idea that this woman just magically became a super spy over what seemed like a handful of months was preposterous. I had a real hard time with letting go of that and enjoying the film.

Also, it was weirdly exploitative. Like, I have no issue with exploitation films (check out Raze and Planet Terror for some awesome recent films that fit that mold) but this was just weird. Like it was trying to be high art but still kind of be in the gutter. Because of that, the tone felt way off. Either own your exploitation film roots and be trashy or be a high class spy film. Don't try to be both, it just makes me feel really weird and it was also really off putting. I don't know, I think you can successfully segue from torture to sex to spy craft (again The Americans did it really well) but this movie felt disjointed when it was trying to do all of those things.

Also, I think I may not like JLaw as an actress. But I thought Joel Edgerton was pretty good.

Also, does Jeremy Irons play the same guy in every movie nowadays?

Nevermind, now I am full on babbling

#5165 Posted by wollywoo (230 posts) -

Spider-Man Homecoming - ugh.......the objective part of me wants to give it a 8/10, but the classic Spidey fan in me wants to give it a 3/10. I miss the classic Spidey, the one that worked freelance at the Daily Bugle taking pictures of Spider-Man for money, went to University, was either dating Mary Jane or Black Cat, or was married to Mary Jane, who's suit was an actual costume and not armor which same goes for the bad guys, and who actually tried to keep his frigging secret identity a frigging secret!

What I don't want to see is more "Ultimate Spider-Man", I've had enough "Ultimate Spider-Man", I'm sick to death of "Ultimate Spider-Man". if you ask me, none of the Spider-Man movies have nailed the character yet, or the world around the character, not even the Raimi ones which everyone seems to love but me...

Yeah I felt the same way. Everybody seemed to like this one but I prefer the Raimi version. Movie was okay, but I missed scrappy Spider-Man who had to get along on his own. I love Spider-Man 2, where he lives in a shitty apartment, has no time for friends, is failing his classes, and accidentally dyes his clothes pink from trying to wash his suit. Here Spider-Man goes to some elite high school and gets all sorts of high-tech nonsense from Tony Stark. He's even fairly popular in school. Boo.

#5166 Posted by nutter (1886 posts) -

@cannoli: Ugh, Once Upon a Time in the West is on my list of shame.

I got maybe 3 minutes into it several times. Life always seems to have other plans for me.

Your high praise of that scene is enough for me to give it another shot and maybe not get interrupted.

#5167 Edited by JadeGL (1407 posts) -

@cannoli: My husband and I just watched the Man with No Name trilogy after watching Yojimbo and Sanjuro. I think my favorite was The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and my least favorite was Fistful of Dollars. I didn't even like Yojimbo all that much. It was still very good, but I think Sanjuro is actually a better movie, imo. At least I enjoyed the story and characters more. But my goodness, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was just fantastic. I don't even consider myself a fan of Westerns, but that film was just amazing. I could almost put it right next to Seven Samurai as a pretty much perfect film.

I really like, if we're talking about Kurosawa films, both Seven Samurai and Throne of Blood are the best from what I have seen. Throne of Blood is just such a cool adaptation of Macbeth, and some of the scenes in it are just insane. Then again, I think I own almost every Macbeth adaptation available on bluray or dvd, so I may be a bit biased.

#5168 Posted by TheHT (15794 posts) -

Upgrade - 5/5

What a great fun wild ride. A breezy watch too. Felt like a damn half hour.

#5169 Posted by ThunderWolfVX (7 posts) -
@wollywoo said:
@thunderwolfvx said:

Yeah I felt the same way. Everybody seemed to like this one but I prefer the Raimi version. Movie was okay, but I missed scrappy Spider-Man who had to get along on his own. I love Spider-Man 2, where he lives in a shitty apartment, has no time for friends, is failing his classes, and accidentally dyes his clothes pink from trying to wash his suit. Here Spider-Man goes to some elite high school and gets all sorts of high-tech nonsense from Tony Stark. He's even fairly popular in school. Boo.

to be perfectly honest with you, I don't even like the Raimi films all that much. I know that a lot of Spidey fans do, but there's just a few lingering things throughout those movies that just detract for me. just as an example, the casting I find incredibly polarizing, J. K. Simmons as JJ, Alfred Molina as Doc Ock, Willim Dufoe as Green Goblin, and Thomas Haden Church as Sandman are all some of the best casting choices in a movie to date, but then on the flip side Maguire's Spider-Man/Peter I just can't stand because he's a little too much of a dork, I mean Peter's always been a nerd but a dork? at least not by much and this is full dork territory here, big difference, even in the first scene when he's being screwed over by the bus driver I mean that's just too much for me. then there's Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane which.......okay, Mary Jane is my favorite female character in all of fiction so I feel confident in saying I know this character fairly well, and at best Dunst had the red hair, dimples, and the modeling gig and that's all the MJ I saw there. James Franco I guess wasn't a bad choice as Harry, but nothing really stood out to me all that much. oh and lets not forget Topher Grace as Eddie Brock......what the hell were they going for there? that one was so far off the mark its ridiculous.

also, organic webbing is the worst Spider-Man idea ever, an idea that even that god awful One More Day book rectified, go figure.....

there's a lot that I do like about those movies, but there's a lot I dislike as well I'm afraid. still waiting for the perfect Spider-Man movie I supposed.

#5170 Posted by wollywoo (230 posts) -

@thunderwolfvx Yeah I think I prefer Tom Holland to Maguire, although I prefer everything else about the Raimi ones (or at least 2). I have to disagree with you on organic webbing, though. It never made any sense to me that he would get bitten by a spider and get all these spider-powers, but then just *happen* to be able (as a teenager) to invent a super-strong web material that no one else in the world could make. What was the point of him getting bit then? He could be a Batman-style superhero with no powers and get along just fine. But then I never read the comics so I don't have any attachment to the character other than in the movies.

#5171 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@brunothethird: Exploring other works by people actors or directors, is a surefire way to be disappointed. Chances are they achieved greatness once. To me watching the same people in different roles, is also quite distracting. Digging into genres is a much better way to find good stuff.

Enter The Death of Stalin it ought to be it's own genre. "The Last Days of " is really just the best part of a monster's biography. Reaping this pure gratification and schadenfreude (of unceremoniously burning in the yard the body of Beria, the murderer and rapist), there should be more films in this genre, but I can't think of many examples.

Downfall (2004) also looked at the death of a dictator, and the Hitler reacts memes turned it into comedy gold.

Last Days in Vietnam (2014) is a 5/5 gut wrenching documentary. For me it first time explained the context of those historical clips of people pushing helicopters from an aircraft carrier into the sea.

Hmm, stuggling to find examples.

His Big White Self (2006) a for TV documentary about the fall of the Leader of the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging, with their three pronged swastika.

I think there is a great opportunity for film makers here. Though cultural sensibilities and historical accuracy may not be an easy thing to deal with.

#5173 Posted by ThunderWolfVX (7 posts) -
@wollywoo said:

@thunderwolfvx Yeah I think I prefer Tom Holland to Maguire, although I prefer everything else about the Raimi ones (or at least 2). I have to disagree with you on organic webbing, though. It never made any sense to me that he would get bitten by a spider and get all these spider-powers, but then just *happen* to be able (as a teenager) to invent a super-strong web material that no one else in the world could make. What was the point of him getting bit then? He could be a Batman-style superhero with no powers and get along just fine. But then I never read the comics so I don't have any attachment to the character other than in the movies.

I get that, but see that's why I love Spider-Man. he was always smart enough to come up with his own gadgets, it was just the budget that he couldn't always afford some really good tech like Batman. I mean, in the comics anyway he had the web shooters, the tracers, that nifty little flashlight on his belt, the web cartridges for the shooters, and a couple other doodads that he was able to utilize. with organic webbing, I can't help but think what's the point? I mean, so the spider bite gave him all those powers and the ability to stick to walls, got it, makes sense as that's something a spider can do. but the organic webbing, why does it come from his wrists? and why does he have to make that hand gesture in order to fire the webbing? and why is the webbing coming out of his wrists with enough force to reach buildings as high as skyscrappers? all of those things are things a spider can't do......I think anyway, I'm no spider expert, they're evil bastards. I don't know, I just could never wrap my head around that one when I started breaking it down, suspension of disbelief is one thing, and in a superhero universe its a requirement, but I still feel like there are limits to it in a way. you are right though, he could become a Batman styled hero, its just that he simply couldn't afford to become one, and Stan Lee basically said that the reason Peter never went public with his inventions is that he would eventually be found out as Spider-Man if he did, so Peter was kinda stuck being what he was. to each their own though, I don't think I'll ever be swayed on organic webbing, but I've heard from a lot of people how much they actually do prefer it so what the hoohah?

I will happily give points though for the "Go Web!" part, that just cracked me up.

#5175 Posted by Seikenfreak (1492 posts) -

Just came from seeing the new Mission Impossible, the internet seemed to be abuzz. The greatest thing since sliced bread.

MI: Fallout - 4/5 - It was decent. Not sure what the big deal is. Certain story aspects were conveyed way too obviously and early on. I feel like I should go back and rewatch Ghost Protocol because I remember coming out of that one and feeling like.. Yea.. That was good action movie. Wondering if it wasn't actually any different than the others in retrospect.

Tully - 4/5 - Watched this recently as well. Pretty good. I love Charlize Theron. The bits of dark humor/sarcasm they show at the beginning is right up my alley. I'm not 9 months pregnant and this is how I am.

#5177 Posted by 8BitAvrin (26 posts) -

The Disaster Artist 8/10. It was hilarious, emotional, and now I want to see The Room

#5178 Posted by MostlySquares (314 posts) -

Ready Player One: I loved the hell out of it. A bit corny at times, but that's OK. The visuals are amazing and the world is strangely plausible seen through the eyes of a VR fanatic like myself. The world is turning to shit, and VR is getting better.. All checks out! We're on the right.. umm.. we're on a track.

A biased 10/10. I'm sure most VR lovers out there will enjoy this movie quite a bit.

#5179 Posted by sfw44 (273 posts) -

I just watched the Conjuring 1 and 2, both movies are awesome. 5/5 for both of them. I'm really looking forward to The Nun now which is a prequel to those movies.

Avatar image for lucaspiazon1313
#5180 Posted by lucaspiazon1313 (5 posts) -

Indie Game: The Movie. 3/5.

#5181 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7471 posts) -

Incredibles 2 (2018)
** 1/2 stars
I just do not think they narrative holds together well ist a bit too loose like unset jell-o. There are aspects of teh story that are interesting, but some plot elements seem to go nowhere. Like where does having Edna Mode (costume designer) pay off. The dad bring teh babdy there, she babysits because she is a softee and somehow she contract for all their uniformes. And....and.. See there si nothing there, there is no reason that she is introduced expect to pad out the running time to to give teh actor a cameo part. Moreover, ElastiGirl is working for Winston Deavor, HIS COMPANY decide son the costume, the bike, etc. So, while there could have been conflict over who makes teh costumes, they don't introduce that to give a reason to have Edna introduced. Okay, another wested character who has nothing to do except be comic relief is Dash. He has no fitting in issues, he has not big screw ups, he has not useful role in moving the story forward. Dash is just there and is more of there to allow for two or three gags about how speedy he is - yawn.

I think the two best elements of teh movie, or scenes are the baby Jack-Jack fighting teh racoon, and then some of teh Elastigirl action sequences. But a few funny sequences strung together does not amke a good narrative. The whole movie lacks a story arch because NONE of teh characters shave a story arch or grow. At teh end who learned anything? WHo grew? Did Mr Incredible learn not to be a sexist ass or resent his wife's notoriety or skills? Not really. Did Violet regain her confidence or leane she didn't need a guy to notice her to be valuable? Nope. Did Jack-Jack gain self control over his many powers? Nope Did Dash grow? Nope, he did not. Did Lucius/Frozone grow, become a better friend, or even become less henpecked? Nope!

The movies is meh.

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
*** 1/2 stars
While Ant-Man's technically “the star,” this is most definitely a great role for Paul Rudd's humor, the Wasp (Evangeline Lilly) owns this flick. Ironically, thsi movies seems to have the most happy ending of any Marvel picture ever. The hero wins and is free to see his family, the Dr Pym gets his wife back, the antagonist Ghost despite trying to ruining everything is "cured" but the beneficence of the returning "First" Wasp AKA Dr. Hank Pym's wife. Then everyone packs up and goes home happy. Even Dr. Bill Foster (Fishburn) does not have to pay teh price for helping Ghost over and above Dr Pym. In fact, Dr. Foster, does not even get bitch slapped for the lie that Ghosts dad was fired for the wrong reasons because Ava's dad STOLE that tech; he didn't co-invent it.

Ant-Man and the Wasp is not a "high tier" Marvel universe movie, but it IS fun and a perfect complement to some of the other movies. Also, Evangeline Lilly is just great...that just has to be said.

#5182 Posted by pompouspizza (1552 posts) -

MI:Fallout. I’m a huge fan of the series (except for 2) and it was everything I could ever want out of a Mission Impossible film. It was beautiful to look at, the action was spectacular and I really enjoyed the story, even if it was fairly predictable and rather standard spy stuff.

I’ll be interested to see where the series goes from here because I don’t know how they’ll top this one. It’s one of the most consistently good long running franchises I can think of.

I’d give it a 5/5.

#5183 Posted by devise22 (719 posts) -

Finally got around to seeing Infinity War. Wasn't able to catch it in theaters so I had to pretty much avoid spoilers (somehow) until now. I expected some of it in terms of like...scenes maybe or how certain people were utilized. But man was I not expecting tone. I seriously thought it'd be more of a y'know, superhero movie? Not that I'm complaining, the moment the intro on that thing roles your like "say what?" Then by I don't know a little over an hour and a half in you realize they just made a god damn superhero greek tragedy film.

The biggest strength of this thing other than the tonal shift, is how they weave all the narratives into what is looking like a final conclusion to the MCU as everyone knows it now. That was so needed. After so many years of building so many people were heading into this thing expecting the whole script to move forward, and it did. Maybe with questions still left to answer, but I think that makes this thing impressive. When you combine that with somehow getting some golden scenes out of what seems like it would be way too many characters is also impressive. All in all I'd say I enjoyed it. I don't think it's Marvels best outing, but It's probably top five or top tier depending on how you rank em.

8.5/10.

#5185 Posted by Mamba219 (267 posts) -

Christopher Robin - This was a surprisingly somber, thought-provoking movie. I have a massive amount of nostalgia and love for Winnie the Pooh and his friends, so much so that it's very challenging for me to be objective when discussing new Pooh media. I have seen every short, read all the books, watched the entirety of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and seen every movie. Something about the setting just tickles me. That's where I'm coming from with my thoughts here.

This is not a kid's movie. I think children will get enjoyment out of it, but I would view it more as a lightweight Ikiru. It focuses on loss, the concept of lost childhood and regaining the "fun" of life. It shows Christopher Robin growing up, dealing with his father's death, fighting in World War II, and attempting to return to family life after missing the early days of his daughter's childhood. His attempts to connect with her totally fail, because his life experiences have changed him from the fun loving boy who battled heffalumps and rescued Pooh to a stressed adult who tries to take everyone else's problems on his shoulders. Really, they do a marvelous job of this: his cold boss demands he present the owner of the company they work for with 20% in overall cuts by the end of the weekend, and Robin desires to do so to - once again - rescue others. Instead of from the doorway of Rabbit's house, however, this time he wants to rescue his co-workers from the axe.

It's shown here that the Hundred Acre Wood changes and becomes darker and more sinister over time as Robin loses more and more of his childhood. This is the first of the Disney Pooh stories I have seen where Tigger is not my favorite character. Eeyore fits the tone of the movie like a glove this time, and Pooh is so crucial to bringing Robin back to the woods and continues his always-Zen like personality. The two of them, as well as the story of Robin, make this movie worth seeing.

The last fourth or so is more traditional Disney stuff, with the animals (in this case, just Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore) leaving the woods and joining forces with Christopher's daughter to track Robin down. It's the weakest part of the movie because it didn't really add anything, just zany kids stuff. I still dig this kind of thing even now, and it wasn't bad by any means - Tigger flipping out in the back of a cab after seeing his reflection in a mirror had me laughing out loud - but compared to the really introspective earlier parts, it was pretty standard.

I loved this movie. Probably the best Winnie-the-Pooh movie, and that's saying a lot. It has a lot to offer adults. The closest comparison I can give is Toy Story 3 - if that tickled your fancy, this will, too.

9/10

#5186 Posted by TheHT (15794 posts) -

A Quiet Place - 4/5

Boring start, fun and tense shenanigans later on, absolutely bad-ass ending. It was like the beginning of DOOM or something. Immensely satisfying.

#5187 Posted by TheHT (15794 posts) -

Ready Player One: I loved the hell out of it. A bit corny at times, but that's OK. The visuals are amazing and the world is strangely plausible seen through the eyes of a VR fanatic like myself. The world is turning to shit, and VR is getting better.. All checks out! We're on the right.. umm.. we're on a track.

A biased 10/10. I'm sure most VR lovers out there will enjoy this movie quite a bit.

Yeah! Ready Player One was fun. Just a family-ass family adventure film. Like, hittin all the familiar beats, but still an enjoyable ride when taken as a simple family adventure movie.

As for the references, to be honest it only started to become distracting when you would see Tracer for the second (and third?) time. Besides making me think about how popular Overwatch (and specifically vanilla-ass Tracer) would really be in this film's time period, it weirdly felt kinda skimpish? More references! Not because I particularly enjoy them, but because I need more Quake 3 levels of chaos in order to fully buy into this VR anything-goes fun-land shtick.

But besides that, it's really far less of a "wowz0rz, I know that [INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY]!" and very quickly just a "yep this is the kind of stupid I'd expect if people could just make their avatars."

(4/5 from me)

#5188 Posted by Seaocean (6 posts) -

Skyscraper and Deadpool2

#5189 Edited by Shiftygism (852 posts) -

Under the Skin & Enemy - It's been way too long that I've come across a film let alone two in such a short amount of time on random viewings that have stuck with me like these two have in the last week or so. Under The Skin's haunting imagery and Enemy's everything you initially thought was wrong plot has me wanting to revisit both as soon as I clear out my backlog a bit. Movies that make you think...what a concept...

Cargo - Outside of its zombies in the outback premise and a pretty memorable ending, there's not much going for it.

Slow West - One of the few decent westerns I've seen in recent years. New Zealand serving as backdrop for the American west offers some really gorgeous locales.

Wind River - Great modern day western/crime drama, but watching it alongside writer/director Taylor Sheridan's Yellowstone series, I question just how involved he actually is with the show's writing despite being credited. It's just not up to par with his film work.

Annihilation - I've dug Alex Garland's stuff for the most part, Ex Machina was fantastic, but this didn't do much for me outside of the two later effects heavy scenes towards the end. A pretty hollow affair with a twist you can see coming a mile away.

A Quiet Place - Pretty much Signs with a bit of The Last of Us and a less polarizing solution on how to take their monsters down. Wasn't crazy about the ending, but it fit the world they created. It was alright.

#5190 Posted by frytup (1244 posts) -

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Hey, it's a good action movie. The story gets rather convoluted and the dialog is... there. But the director is smart enough to realize what movies do best and often just lets the visuals tell the story. I'm a sucker for well-choreographed action sequences with no dialog and minimal music, and there's a good bit of that to be found here. You got a car chase? Cool, just give me the sound of the engines. No lame pop soundtrack? Thanks, appreciate that.

#5191 Posted by TheHT (15794 posts) -

Mission Impossible: Fallout - 3/5

Man. This just wasn't that great. It's entirely carried by the action scenes (where are pretty good). Practically everything else is... kinda bad. It's a huge bummer because I was supremely happy to see them bring back Solomon Lane and Ilsa. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation is legitimately one of the best action movies, and Lane was a fucking fantastic villain.

Henry Cavill's got a great look in the movie, but is such a non-character it ain't even funny. Movie's got quite a bit of bad writing, the worst being when it attempts to delve into romance. There's literally a scene where a character is thanking Ethan for how great her life is now and it's just so terribly lame. Mission Impossible 3 was a bad movie y'all. A few interactions were interesting or funny, but a lot of this stuff's otherwise just unexceptional when it isn't venturing into awkward.

But if you wanna shut your brain off and see a cool HALO jump, a great fight scene, and a handful of good chase sequences, you can have a good time.

For reference, here's how I'd probably rank these films:

1. Rogue Nation
  2. I
  3. Ghost Protocol
  4. Fallout
  5. II
  6. III

Pretty wide gap between Ghost Protocol and Fallout by the way. And II may be abysmal but it's at least funny for it.

#5192 Posted by nutter (1886 posts) -

You Were Never Really Here

Flawless film.

If you don’t know what it’s about, it’s a modern character study based in a noir sort of tale. It’s gritty, taut, and expertly written and shot. That’s really all you need to know.

Trailers or even a one paragraph synopsis will tell you more than you should know.

Just watch it.

#5194 Edited by dancecho (60 posts) -

FIRST REFORMED - 4/5: Pretty much loved it up til the last 5 minutes, then I was very confused as the credits played. I digested it for a couple of days and now I'm on the "this is one of the best movies of the year" camp. My wife kinda hated it, though.

FIREWORKS, SHOULD WE SEE IT FROM THE SIDE OR THE BOTTOM? - 2/5: What is this YOUR NAME wannabe bullshit? The animation goes from gorgeous to fugly in a span of two scenes; when it's good, it's really good. When it's not, oof.

TAG - 2/5: Mildly amusing, but I barely laughed. Hannibal Buress is the best thing about it.

AMELIE (2001) - 5/5 (rewatch): Still my favorite Jeunet film.

Loading Video...

#5195 Edited by Shiftygism (852 posts) -

Rampage - I liked it more than I thought I would, Mighty Joe Young vibes were strong...unfortunately Rock isn't nearly as fun to look at as a younger Charlize Theron. Had they spent a bit more time on the script injecting a little more humor and cast a better villain (how is Malin Ackerman still getting work!?) it might've actually been something more than mediocre. Still it's one of the better video game inspired films out there...but that's not saying much.

#5196 Posted by DominateHate (3 posts) -

The last film I watched was Vertigo (1958). If you can not tell by now, this was the first time I watched this film. So, I was pure with hardly any details of the overall summary going into it. I only knew the main stars were James Stewart and Kim Novak. Oh, that it is a Alfred Hitchcock directed film too. What a powerful story and journey. Definitely worth the wait from start to finish. There is romance, drama, and thrills. I really enjoyed James and Kim's performances.

I would give this film a 4.5/5.

#5198 Edited by fockalex (7 posts) -

Awake 75/100
In general it must be acknowledged that the film stands out quite strongly from the mass with its cool storyline. Even from the synopsis it becomes clear that the viewer should expect an interesting movie with an uncommon development of stolyline. Alas, it was this anticipation that ruined the whole movie.

#5199 Edited by DoctorOdds (41 posts) -

@theht: I’m just glad Fortnight didn’t come around until after RPO came out!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
#5200 Posted by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

Creepshow 2: All three segments, especially the middle one The Raft, are solid and the animated segments between the stories is neat. That said it lacks the campy and at times downright goofy quality that George Romero brought to the original that perfectly encapsulated what made those old horror comics so memorable to guys like Stephen King and Romero himself. 3 bumps in the night out of 5.