Rate the last movie you watched.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ringedwithtile: Exactly, it's more like a season pass for an arthouse than just a random collection. It's the kind of thing I've been looking for: a nicely curated treasure trove. I'm sorry you can't use it natively. I think as long as you're paying for a service, a VPN is a completely sensible and reasonable method of accessing some content unavailable to our regions.

-

Fearless was genius. I love Peter Weir and am so glad I finally saw this beauty that had eluded me for years. It's an unmatched analysis of the fragility of existence and overcoming grief from the eyes of people who survived an accident they just shouldn't have, but also their families, and how they cope with the hugely altered personalities of the loved ones that come home. It's thoughtful, but never preaching about that. In fact, the preaching often ends up hurting and annoying others, which is realistic, because so few have seen mass death face-to-face and walked away with just a scratch, so how could they understand someone who's rapidly ascended to a higher level of consciousness and can't come down again. They're ghosts. They experienced their deaths and can't interact normally anymore.

Jeff Bridges is one of the best; he nailed it, as did Rosie Perez, but John Turturro was his brilliant self as usual (he might be in my top 5 actors ever). Wish he was in it more, though. It's just a great film. Some of the scenes are cinema at its purest.

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@brunothethird: I was considering doing the VPN thing, but now I guess I won't bother since it hit today that Filmstruck is being shut down at the end of November. Hopefully all those films end up landing somewhere else.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ringedwithtile: It's hilarious and tragic at once considering I signed up yesterday, but a challenge now lies before me: I've got 35 days to watch 70+ films, and I'll do it, dammit.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Summer of '84: This is from the same team that brought you the must watch Canadian low-budget post-apocalyptic gory 90's nostalgia driven Turbo Kid. I don't know what to think of this movie because they really hit you over the head with the 80's nostalgia like almost as bad as Stranger Things. That said the corny nostalgia pays off with how it is juxtaposed with one of the most grim and depressing endings I've seen in a movie in a bit. The plot is kinda like Goonies meets The 'Burbs with the aforementioned fucked up ending. 2.5 out of 5 and that extra .5 is solely for the ending and a 4 out of 5 for Turbo Kid.

Never Goin' Back: This is just a fun coming of age white trash female lead stoner comedy. When I say stoner comedy I mean more Richard Linklater and less Cheech and Chong. Plot is pretty basic just two friends trying to get rent after their roommate loses it. As someone who grew up as poor white trash I found it hysterical but comedy is subjective to a point. I give it a 3.5 out of 5

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5405  Edited By HoboZero
No Caption Provided

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn. It was bad. But also, it was incredible? I honestly don't know what I think. Who am I? What is this place?

This is the movie for people who think quirky cult films have too much plot, dull characterization, and coherence.

It was as if Swery saw a Wes Anderson film festival and thought, "I could do better."

It was... MAGICAL

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

American Pie: Band Camp. 0.5/5

Curiosity finally got the better of me... Could the direct to DVD American pies be any good? One film in and the answer is no... The guy playing Stiflers younger brother is trying so damn damn hard to be Seann William Scott it's painful. He magically matures over the course of the film making it hard to see where next film would go. There are cameos from American Pie alumni one is cringing but still good, another is scene stealing as ever.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

The Ring (2002) 4/5

I haven't seen the original Japanese movie, so I don't really have a point of reference, but I did enjoy this version. It was a well-made horror movie, despite some parts feeling pretty goofy.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5408  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@beachthunder: I'm a big fan of both versions. I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's one of my faves of that late '90s/early '00s horror/drama period, that and Sixth Sense.

I think the first act is the weakest, but from where Naomi Watts goes to the island to investigate it becomes genuinely captivating, with a bunch of interesting visual language and non-verbal storytelling. The scene on the ferry really got to me, and Brian Cox's brilliant performance as Samara's deeply troubled foster father.

What did you think of the soundtrack? I bought the whole thing after I saw it. I think it's Zimmer's best, personally. This is just ridiculously rich and dark:

Loading Video...

not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: One could make a strong argument that The Ring is the best American adaptation of a Japanese movie and one of the few good PG-13 horror movies. Side question: do A Bug's Life and Lion King count as Japanese movie adaptations? The first is clearly inspired by the classic Kurosawa movie Seven Samuarai and the latter has been accused of plagiarizing Osamu Tezuka's manga and anime series Kimba the White Lion.

Halloween 4, 5, and 6: I combined them into one review because 4 through 6 are part of a trilogy within the franchise similar to the Tommy Jarvis trilogy within Friday the 13th. Plus this is the first time I've seen Halloween 4 and 5 but 6 was the first Halloween I ever saw. Anyway 4 is just a boring mess of a slasher movie that just is dull as dirt. 5 is slightly better with some better kills but features possibly the most annoying set of victims to ever grace a slasher film and they butcher the classic Halloween theme. 6 goes off the rails in a crazy way with a secret cabal of druids, a dumb origin story for Michael Myers involving runes, and a young Paul Rudd. Like always Donald Pleasence as Dr. Loomis is the best and sadly 6 was his last movie before he passed away. If you're a completionist like me and have to see every movie in a franchise then go ahead but if you're a casual fan maybe skip these movies. As a trilogy I give a 2 out of 5.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Headshot is on Netflix and delivers what I’ve come to expect from the Indonesian action scene.

It’s not top-tier magic that the whole world needs to run out and see, but it’s a solid movie with some great action. It’s a long film, by action standards, but it flies by like you wouldn’t believe.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5411  Edited By OneLoneClone

The Death of Stalin - 3/5

This film is fucken weird, but I kept watching it. Steve Buscemi plays Khrushkev. Micheal Palin and Jeffrey Tamboor play others in Stalin's inner circle all stuggling for power after Stalins death.

Its like this farce with a really really high body count. No one even attempts a russian accent.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@not_a_bumblebee: What did you think of the ending of 4? As a kid, it was one of the scariest things to me. The sight of her at the top of the steps, blood splattered with that knife in her hand as Loomis screams on the stairs was so horrifying to me as a kid. it's half the reason I even like 4 despite it not being that good of a movie.

can't for the life of me see why some people like 5 more. awful, awful main characters aside from Jaime and Loomis

not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: That ending to 4 is easily the best part but it gets immediately retconned in 5. I'm really splitting hairs when I think 5 is better than 4 as they are both kinda stinkers. Pretty weird that Michael Myers a guy who has been institutionalized since childhood learned to drive. I know in the first movie Dr. Loomis has a throwaway line about how he was taught to drive by an older inmate but it's still pretty weird.

Society: Had a friend over this weekend who had never seen this horror classic so I had to fix that. I think it is one of the most accurate depiction of the wealthy elite ever caught on film and I dare you to prove me wrong. Such a weird and wonderfully gross movie and if you haven't seen it you are in for a treat.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not a movie, but I've been on a Tales From The Crypt kick, so...

Tales From The Crypt: Seasons 1 & 2: 4/5

I'm not going to review every episode, but overall, these seasons are an excellent start to an iconic series. There are stinkers of course (looking at you, "Korman's Kalamity"), but the good/entertaining outweighs the bad pretty handily. One thing I always loved about Tales is that you never knew if you were about to see some wacky pulp or some genuine stick-in-your-head horror, just like the source material, and the first two seasons give an excellent sampler of both sides. And of course The Cryptkeeper is at the top of his game, as you get both the darker and slightly more subdued version from S1 as well as the crazier, sillier version that informs the rest of the series and became a pop culture icon for a while. The show's best (and worst) is yet to come, hence the docked point, but anthology shows are rarely as consistent at this.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5415  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@shagge: Nice, it's one of the best shows ever. There is a movie, which I am sure you've seen.

The humor can make it ten times more effective when something chilling does unfold. Another anthology show, Amazing Stories, had a similar thing where it was corny as fuck, then boom, an awesome episode like, "Mirror, Mirror" shakes you to the core with its concept alone.

I've been on a general anthology binge since I was about 7. I've heard great things about Night Gallery, but never saw anything other than when it was referenced on the Simpsons. That's next on the list.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Rosemary's Baby 3/5

I've wanted to see this movie for a long time. I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. But, let's say I probably wouldn't go around recommending it. I can definitely understand though how it would have been a big hit 50 years ago.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5417  Edited By cikame

Jason X, the best Friday the 13th movie.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched the original Friday the 13th for the first time, outside of any f-bombs or nudity AMC may have cut out I don't see what the big deal was keeping me from seeing it as a kid, it was incredibly tame. Compared to E.T. running through the forest screaming and lying half dead on the bathroom floor looking like a giant dried dog turd which scarred me for several years after being dragged to the theater to see it when I was two, this was practically a comedy.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunothethird: Four movies, even! I've only ever seen Demon Knight and Bordello of Blood, though. Ritual looks like hot garbage in the worst way (and very obviously an unrelated movie that got repackaged with a Cryptkeeper segment so that it might actually sell a couple of copies, a la the later Hellraisers), and I've never gotten around to the original '72 one.

Amazing Stories was a lot of fun. A bit cutesy for my tastes at times, but like you said, it could come out swinging when it wanted to.

Man, I miss that era of anthology series, and I'm happy to see another fan of the format here. I was so excited when Crypt was getting rebooted, and so disappointed when it got dropped at the last minute. I'm sure it would have been a shadow of the original, but the teaser trailer was excellent, and that pitch-shifted laugh at the end hit my nostalgia bone in all the right ways.

Ah well... maybe we'll get that reboot of Monsters that the whole world is clamoring for. :P

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5420  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@shagge: Wow, I don't think those movies were ever advertised here. I've only seen the '72 one; it was on TV all the time in the '90s. I like it a lot, it's very Hammer, but a bit headier. It reviewed well.

Ray Bradbury Theater is another I dipped into, but I've only seen a handful of episodes that were pretty good. Edit: I've never seen Monsters, but I'll get right on that, thanks for the mention. (I just read it shares some credits with Tales From the Darkside, which has some good stuff.)

The UK anthologies like Tales of the Unexpected (written by Roahl Dahl) are also great, though they follow a very different pacing, and the earlier ones are hella British, ha. Dead of Night is a much rarer BBC anthology series that was mostly destroyed or lost in the archives, but I have three of the surviving episodes on DVD and like them a lot, too. My favourite of all is Ghost Stories for Christmas, a BBC masterwork, some introduced by Christopher Lee. My fave episode is The Signalman, based on a Dickens horror short (it's probably on Youtube.)

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched the original Friday the 13th for the first time, outside of any f-bombs or nudity AMC may have cut out I don't see what the big deal was keeping me from seeing it as a kid, it was incredibly tame. Compared to E.T. running through the forest screaming and lying half dead on the bathroom floor looking like a giant dried dog turd which scarred me for several years after being dragged to the theater to see it when I was two, this was practically a comedy.

I went from having seen none of the Jason movies a year ago to now owning the first eight on bluray.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halloween (2018) 4/5. There’s a lack of atmosphere and a plot twist in the middle that really doesn’t go anywhere or add anything meaningful. Other than that it’s a solid Halloween movie, probably the best since the original.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mandy (2018) 4.5/5

This movie is insane and I loved it.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rosemary's Baby 3/5

I've wanted to see this movie for a long time. I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. But, let's say I probably wouldn't go around recommending it. I can definitely understand though how it would have been a big hit 50 years ago.

Wow, 50 years flat. 1968, The year of our Lord, Satan. Five years before The Exorcist.

The movie is a classic, meaning it's very watchable still. I'd like to say that this occult stuff both exploited and challenged some of the bigoted mainstream back in the day. So, what has changed? I suspect, we don't have a mainstream any more. The bigots today are entrenched in their own areas of influence. Although In schools the same old BS is likely taught: respect the disrespectful, tolerate the intolerant, don't challenge the mentally challenged.

But Satan still works, True Detective used it, and it's up there with the absolute Best entertainment has to offer. I've yet to see The Witch (2016). Of course it's all quite inverted, it's not the devil worshipers who abuse and torture children (and prostitutes), but worshipers anyway. Reality tells a different tale. Like that girl who inspired the Exorcist, probably just had an undiagnosed spinal condition and an eating disorder.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5425  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Currently watching American Psycho for the first time, and my favourite thing so far is Patrick Bateman's fantastically awful taste in music. What a weird detail.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halloween (2018)

From the opening credits, in which a rotten Jack O'lantern is reconstituted at high speed, right up to the finale which sets about playing around with the roles in a slasher movie finale, the new Halloween is damn successful in its mission to restore the credibility of the franchise. Michael Myers is damn menacing again, the movie doesn't shy away from a bit of effective gore, Laurie is a compelling heroine, it feels like it captures the spirit of the original but knows what to update for modern sensibilities. Big props for most of the supporting characters being given just enough meat to make their deaths matter and not resorting to the most played-out of slasher movie stereotypes. There are a couple of sour notes, including one really dumb twist that happens solely because the plot needs it, but they are few and far between.

It's a shame it will almost certainly be followed by unneeded sequels. 4/5 heavy breaths while lurking

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched three more Friday the 13th movies for the first time.

Part 2 - Of all I've watched, the casting director did their best with the eye candy in this one, better movie than the first, but still pretty lousy. It's interesting seeing the origins of Jason though as the character I'm familiar with....or at least the image I associate with the character is a slow lumbering zombie like giant....but in these early films he's running all around wrestling with dudes and is kinda expressive. It's really weird.

Part 3 - Great opening title sequence theme! The first movie that I thought was gonna attempt delivering some likable characters, but unfortunately the Seth Rogan looking dude had no arc....as if these films were about character arcs, but still...I'd like to have a reason to root for the last survivor than it being simply because they're a "hot chick." This one left me with more questions than any other so far. How did the lead girl get away from Jason in her flashback story? She just woke up safe and sound? Also who buried Mrs.Voorhees? The town? A friend? A unknown family member?

Part 4 - The best directed of the series so far....but still terribly underwhelming. The Jason hunter character was such a waste of time...which is unfortunate as they had a chance to really switch things up with him, but chose instead to go with damsel in distress again which led to one of the dumbest god damned chain of events I've ever seen in a horror movie, instead of either Corey Feldman or his sister going for a vehicle to hightail it out of there, he goes with the same shitty mind games twist we saw in Part 2. Striking image, sure....but so dumb....but that's what this series apparently aims to be.

I hear Part 5 is shit but bounces back with 6.

We'll see.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunothethird: Re: the lambasting of Huey Lewis in American Psycho, here’s my take from when I first saw that movie WAY back when it opened in 2000 (I only saw the film once). It’s been a while, but here we go...

It was the 80s. I think Huey Lewis, Whitney Houston, and (specifically) Phil Collins-era Genesis were part of a pretty gentrified movement in pop/rock music at the time.

I think it’s the specifying of Phil Collins-era Genesis that really drives home that he likes the blandest, most palatable, pop music drivel. Of course be wouldn’t be into the Peter Gabriel stuff.

I think it’s pretty fitting for how much he’s trying to fit in and seem normal while also seeming somehow extraordinary through his outward projection. It’s all very “I love this broad, base music everyone listens to, let me tell you how much I love it and know about it.”

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5429  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@nutter: I liked the movie, it was bonkers.

What gives some more credence to your point is the scene where he barks at his fiancé that he wants to 'fit in' at work; that tells you a lot about his personality, but he can only do it with lies. I remember John Wayne Gacy saying his favourite band was REO Speedwagon, which made me gasp, and it's that same kind of oddity I perceived it as more than a conscious front on the character's part: that monsters can like such innocent things without flinching at the hypocrisy. That's a genuine sociopath. It didn't go over my head or anything, I knew it was an artistic decision, it just made me laugh.

There's truth to both theories about why they picked such a corny streak in Bateman, though. It's probably a bit of both. I like the bands and artists, but the specific songs he talks about and the general soundtrack are so mainstream for the genre of film that it stuck out like a muppet in a porno theater, so I assumed it was intentionally meant to raise eyebrows, because no sane person genuinely likes "Walking on Sunshine" without a bit of irony, surely? Surely...?

Edit: It's obviously more satirical than anything, so me using terms like 'sane' and 'sociopath' doesn't quite apply in the same way. Everything is meant to contrast massively with his inner turmoil, and it might be as simple as that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Annihilation (2018) 2.5/5
Clever and slick sci-fi movie that much like Arrival I just did not find super compelling and I can’t put my finger on why exactly. The writing felt a little stale I think. Great performance by Natalie Portman though.

Evil Dead (2013) 1.5/5
I love the original Evil Dead movie and this just felt like by the books horror without any of the funny charm of the original. Some pretty good looking gore scenes but ultimately boring.

The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018) 1/5
Not my kind of humor. I thought the action scenes were pretty well directed.

The Thing (1982) 3/5
I feel like I should like this more. I like Carpenter and the special effects were awesome, but I also felt pretty bored a lot of the time.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The Changeling (1980) - 4/5 - An entry on two short lists: good horror movies from the '80s that didn't involve John Carpenter, and good stories about (minor spoiler) sympathetic ghosts. The latter point was helped a lot by the lead being a mature adult, rather than the mooning, emotionally fragile young woman that the plot would normally dictate. I think George C. Scott was kind of a weird fit - I'd have wanted more of an Elliott Gould type, or I dunno, Christopher George even? Just someone more "middle-aged music teacher" and less "scary grandpa." But he was fine, and thankfully they didn't really commit to Trish Van Devere as his love interest (...wait, holy shit, they were married?)

The main gripe I had was with the score. Not only was it vanilla scary-movie music (ironic for a movie about a music professor), but it wasn't even synced well to the action. It's like someone banged out the whole score in one day after reading a synopsis of the plot, and then the music editor or whoever had to jury-rig it to vaguely fit each scene. Whoever it was, they did not understand when to lay off the damn music and let the scene itself build tension. It was almost bad enough to drag the movie down to 3/5.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halloween (2018) - Middling, 5/10

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blue Velvet 5/5 holy shit they predicted Facebook Baby Boomers to a T. One of the best and yet least significant (by occupation and goals) villains in movie history.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Bad Times at the El Royale. It was a really interesting story and thrilling. Unfortunately it's not doing well at the box office

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apostle 3/5. The Wicker Man meets Resident Evil 4

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Psycho: I'll give it 4/4. I kind of wish it were a movie I'd be able to watched without knowing the twist. I was surprised to find out that there are only two kills in the entire movie, but that's more than a little refreshing. It only happens when the plot needs to move forward and they aren't planted liberally throughout the film for some fetishistic need for gory nonsense. I'm also starting to be fascinated by films with (relatively) low budgets. There isn't a single ounce of fat in the film and the dialog is much more natural than I imagined. The killer's motivations for murder make a lot of sense and Norman isn't just some faceless psy... well, you get the point.

Film Count: 1

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Night Comes For Us- 5/5

If you like "The Raid" it's likely that you'll enjoy this. Hyper brutal action film from Indonesia. It was good in that way where everytime someone gets hit or stabbed you go "oooh" or "aaah" out loud.

The gore is INTENSE, but it really just adds brutality to the film

Zandrake94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bwast: Did you see the Best of the Worst Red Letter Media did that had Chopping Mall, or did you decide to randomly watch it?

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5440  Edited By Casepb

Incredibles 2 - 8/10. - Not quite as great as the original, but still very enjoyable. The biggest cons were it being too predictable and it focused a bit too much on Elastigirl even though she is bad ass, but it's always more fun when the whole family is involved. Biggest pros were the baby (he was just great in so many ways), the great cast, well done pacing, and much improved visuals from the first. The 2004 movie looks a bit rough these days.

dancecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE (2000) - 4/5 (rewatch) - My favorite Wong Kar-Wai film.

Loading Video...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farleyslundgren: I felt listless about Arrival and Annihilation as well. They were both well made and hit the right notes, but were too workmanlike and lacked soul.

I rememver reading that the studio wanted to scrap the ending of Annihilation as they thought it was too weird. I think that’s telling and a good reason why so many movies are broadened to the point of being disposable garbage (for the sake of a good rotten tomatoes score?).

I love Carpenter’s The Thing, though, and really enjoyed the 2013 Evil Dead as a straight horror flick.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: I will second my love for The Night Comes for Us whenever I see it mentioned. Amazing action flick. I prefer The Raid films, but they’re all similar, yet uniquely great.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw Killers (2014). It’s on Hulu right now, with some truly awful subtitles.

It’s not a movie I think I’d need to rewatch, and it took its sweet time moving along, but I found it to be an interesting film.

It reminded me of a weird mix of serial killer films, feeling like Henry, American Psycho, Silence of the Lambs, and others at various times.

It’s an interesting character study of two killers and their intersecting lives. Aside from some truly terrible special effects toward the end of the film, it was well made and thoughtful with its material.

BlueWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther: Another pretty good Marvel movie that covers political topics (like Captain America 2), and I felt Killmonger was an excellent character.

Thor Ragnarok: Majority of the jokes fell flat for me. I couldn't take any of the drama seriously because of the constant attempts at comedy.

Coco: Loved it. Hopefully this means Pixar is out of their sub-par film funk.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V for Vendetta

No Caption Provided

Remember remember the fifth of November, this became one of my favourite films back when i first saw it in 2006/2007, i enjoyed it so much i made a promise to watch it every November the 5th which i have upheld.
Before i hadn't really given bonfire night here in the UK much thought, i knew the story behind it but usually just got annoyed at how many fireworks my neighbours seem to purchase, it comes only a week after Halloween and really they're both kind of silly and meaningless events here, i don't know any family or friends who do anything for either, but my dedication to watching this film each year has given the day a meaning to me.
I've not become a political activist or anything, i ignore politics for the most part, but i think it's a healthy idea that people in power may need reminding at times how much power they actually have.

Film rating 5/5.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Well, "bounces back" is debatable to be honest as the series has never been that good but it has its moments. Part 6 is alright, bringing the Tommy Jarvis trilogy to a decent close and having some fun kills in it (Friday the 13th always being more about the over the top kills than any sense of tension or scares) and it definitely stands taller than Part 5 which is not very good at all. From there the movies are about to get pretty weird with stuff like Telekinesis, a change of location to "New York" and space on the horizon which is something for you to look forward to.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbones80: Beautiful! Easily in my list of top 10 favourite films.

Fallen Angels, Chunking Express and Happy Together aren't too far behind, either.

Good Time - 4/5. Robert Pattinson was excellent in this. Also, the very end of the film surprised me (in a good way)

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5449  Edited By shiftygism

@darkeyehails:

Oh it bounced back....Jason Lives, was great.

Frdiay The 13th Part 5 - Crap, too much camp in this one (intentional or not), and having the story removed from the traditional narrative was a bummer, easily the worst I'd seen up to that point. Thank goodness they course corrected with what they originally set up for Part 6, but that still leaves the question, did Tommy kill Pam?

Part 6 - From the crazy Frankenstein cold open (which featured that awesome James Bond nod) to the self referential humor (that doesn't go too far) this was a fun ride throughout and the first that made the effort balance out the horn dog antics of the series. You could really tell they were actually trying to make a good film with this one. David Kagen's performance as the antagonistic Sheriff Garris was also top notch, an element sorely lacking in the other installments. Really weird it took them six entries to add something like that as well as actual campers. Actual fucking kid campers, not just counselors that are quickly offed after arriving at the lake. Hopefully Lebron's supposed remake will actually have it set during the camping season. Liked this one so much I'm gonna eventually buy it and have double features of it and The Monster Squad as it would go along with that perfectly.

Part 7 - Jesus. Everything Part 6 did to turn the franchise into something good, this wasted it all with poor casting, and absurd plot points. Like I'm not against their attempt to have a Carrie vs. Jason storyline, that could've been neat, but the gal they picked for Tina wasn't cut out for it. Like if you wanted to find a version of January Jones who was an even worse actress than January Jones, get yourself a time machine because she's it. The only good thing I can say about this one was Kevin Spirtas' hair (as always) was on point. Jason doesn't seem very consistent with his stalking this time out and the ending knocks off Part 4 as the dumbest in series....that is until Part 8, which botches its finish massively.

Part 8 - Always heard people call this the worst one. And yeah, I can understand that. It had a lower budget, and was a definite product of its time. Seriously from the fashion to the synthesized music the tailend of the 80's into the 90's was just the worst for this type of stuff be it lower budget films or syndicated television, and all of it is on display front and center with this entry. Especially the fact that it's billed as "Jason Takes Manhattan" yet the majority of it takes place on a cruise ship. It's not good, but despite its faults including tossing visual continuity out the window with Jason's appearance and leftover story bits that seem like Part 7's Tina was originally supposed to be involved, I'm a bit sympathetic to it as it built upon 6's ending with its flashback scene and tries several new things like moving Jason away from Crystal Lake, teens that attempt to hunt him down, and the awkward introduction of the childhood spirit of Jason to the Voorhees mythology. Something that unfortunately worked against itself when they stupidly chose to end the film with Jason seemingly reverting back to that form instead of making it clear that's only what Rennie saw as she and her boyfriend escaped the sewer.

Jason Goes to Hell - At the expense of missing out on the nods that tied this series to Evil Dead and explaining how Mrs.Voorhees resurrected Jason after drowning, I didn't last long with this one. The absence of a physical Jason was lame. I'm all for switching things up, but this took it too far. Also, why would the FBI set up a sting at Crystal Lake after the events of 8? How did Jason get back home? What did he do in New York? The world needed to know!

Didn't have access to X or vs. Freddy....don't have much interest in either tbh.

Frieday the 13th (2009) - Not bad, not even the much complained about element of Jason taking a hostage (as its perfectly explained), but not exactly what I want from a 13th movie either. Pretty mediocre and not how to rejuvenate the series.

My hopes for an eventual remake, its in the spirit of Part 6, makes an effort to tell a story which doesn't get lost in T&A bullshit, that plays up the sympathetic Frankenstein's monster/ Sloth from the Goonies aspects of Jason's character for the first time and it being the initial bond between him and a camper by the name of "Tommy" who he watches being bullied from afar before interjecting and starting a reign of terror over the camp. Nods to mother dearest resurrecting him with the Necronomicon would be appreciated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Workmanlike is a good way of putting it. Very clinical feeling, those movies.

The Meg (2018) 1/5
I do not care for Jason Statham and he was the best thing about this movie. I didn’t know you could make a movie about killing giant prehistoric sharks this boring.

Minding The Gap (2018) 4/5
A skateboard documentary that is really about childhood abuse and adulthood and what it means to be an adult. Very good.

Night Comes On (2018) 4/5
A very believable indie drama. Fucking amazing acting.

Leave No Trace (2018) 4/5
Again, great acting here. I love how slow and lingering this was.

Eighth Grade (2018) 4/5
Anxiety inducing in the best ways.