Rate the last movie you watched.

#5801 Edited by Casepb (750 posts) -

Alita Battle Angel 8/10.

I've never seen the anime entirely but I did watch bits and pieces of it so I came into this pretty fresh and could not compare it to the original source.

This movie was far better than what I was expecting, I think that's why I liked it so much. Alita looked weird as hell, but I got over that. It had a cringy badly done romance, but I looked past that as well. The best things in it was the action and nicely done CGI cyborgs. All of them looked so awesome and well done, for the most part anyway. The world was also just so great.

Watching this movie made me even more hyped to play Cyberpunk 2077 even though they are not related. Definitely hoping they make a sequel.

#5802 Posted by Dizzyhippos (4736 posts) -

Netflix's Anon: 2.5/5

Its fine, if you like Clive Owen its an easy if not forgettable watch.

#5803 Posted by BeachThunder (15166 posts) -

Blazing Saddles 2/5

Humour!

Avatar image for machofantastico
#5804 Edited by MachoFantastico (6688 posts) -

Spider-man Into the Spider-verse 5/5.

As someone whose sick to death of Marvel/Disney's generic superhero movies, this was an absolute breath of fresh air. Some lovely visuals, great soundtrack and featuring some great touches, it's given me faith in superhero movies again.

Genuinely wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

#5805 Posted by BrunoTheThird (843 posts) -

I must've seen a thousand obscure movies, yet I've never seen arguably one of the most famous films ever, Schindler's List. I finally amended that today, and it was a unique viewing experience to say the least.

I'm not going to review it or anything, most people know its quality of performances, framing, etc., even if they've only seen clips, but there were some things that really stuck out to me:

For one, I expected/worried this film would be reliant on music to portray the emotional richness as much as the acting, but the complete opposite was true. When it's there it isn't 'sad' music per se, and it's not loud in the mix like a lot of dramas are guilty of. It's appropriate and beautifully integrated without being overt. Good for them.

The other thing that struck me was how the blase physical brutalization and murder of the Jews wasn't even the most disturbing part of the film. Far, far more disturbing to me are scenes such as the one where a little girl is shouting "Goodbye, Jews!" over and over with a look of deep glee on her face, holy shit.

Another scene that almost broke my brain was where Amon Goth is trying to execute the older gentleman that makes hinges in the metal workshop and the gun keeps jamming. It was so crazy to see a -- I don't want to say comedic -- but clumsy attempted murder. It was like something from Goodfellas, it was fucked up. I had my head in my hands every time that hammer clicked unsuccessfully.

There were plenty more: the scene where Amon happily listens to the female prisoner who was an engineer begging the officers to redo the foundations that would surely fail on the building they were working on, has her killed, then green-lights her request!

Anyway, it's a great movie. I almost wish I didn't like it just so I'd have a more interesting take on it, but I did, so I don't...

A+

#5806 Posted by hermes (2629 posts) -

Missing Link (3/5)

Disappointing from a Laika fan position, totally serviceable as an animated feature for kids.

#5807 Posted by BeachThunder (15166 posts) -

First They Killed My Father 4/5

It's been a long time since I read the book for school, so it's hard for me to say whether this is a good adaptation or not. But it's certainly a pretty harrowing depiction of Cambodia in the mid-70s through the eyes of a young child.

#5808 Posted by Sombre (476 posts) -

John Carpenter's "The Thing" 5/5

Moody, dramatic atmosphere with remarkable practical effects. As a long time fan of Harryhausen and Argonauts, I was blown away. I'm a big practical effects guy, so seeing the scene with the belly and the hands, really blew me away.

Plus, any film with Kurt Russel- I'm into :D

#5809 Posted by ShaggE (9302 posts) -

The Banana Splits Movie: 4/5

Well, they did it. They turned a forgotten Sid & Marty Krofft kids' show into a gory slasher... and it's pretty good! Obviously very low-budget and silly fare, but this movie had no right being anything other than terrible. Very pleasantly surprised.

#5810 Posted by nutter (2292 posts) -

@sombre: Right on! The Thing is a classic and Kurt Russel is magic!

#5811 Posted by nutter (2292 posts) -

I grabbed a UHD copy of Gladiator to watch that for the first time in forever. Really good movie with some really great lines and scenes peppered throughout.

Super rewatchable, too.

#5812 Posted by KillEm_Dafoe (2659 posts) -

I finally watched Us yesterday. I was eager to see it based on how much I loved Get Out. The first 20 minutes or so, setting up the movie, was great. Good, moody atmosphere and tension building. Everything after, from the time the doppelganger family enters their home, fell completely flat. I was shocked at how much I simply didn't enjoy the movie and cared very little for what was happening. I didn't feel the character's reactions based on what was happening reflected the gravity of the situation. The movie's own internal logic was also very inconsistent. Beyond that, I think it tried way to hard to be creepy and ultimately comes off as being rather bland in the horror department. Nothing was really that effective in terms of tension or scares. And the ending...I think it would've been more effective had things not been explained in full. The whole thing is pretty stupid.

That said, it was a beautifully shot movie, with some solid acting, and a good score that frankly does not fit the movie. This is definitely a case of the trailer being better than the final product. I'm pretty certain Us' positive reception comes solely from people loving Get Out and buying into the hype for Jordan Peele's second directorial outing. There's a pretty staggering difference in quality between the two movies. Get Out, for me, was a 5/5. Us is only a 2/5.

Avatar image for farleyslundgren
#5813 Edited by FarleysLundgren (208 posts) -

Watched Parasite after seeing Kojima mentioning it in a tweet. It's enjoyable. I'm a bit torn on it overall though, I feel like some of the acting could have been better and the ending was somewhat weak imo. But a fun movie, lots of crazy shit happening throughout it.

3/5 for Parasite

Oh, I also watched Death Race, the remake of the old 70s one. It's pretty dumb, but it's about prisoners playing real-life car combat racing, and it has Jason Statham in the lead role, so I guess it has to and to some extent should be dumb. Real bad cinematography during the racing action scenes, just shaky cam everywhere I could hardly tell what the fuck was going on half of the time. The acting is rough, but whatever. The cars look pretty cool, and I liked the cheesy streaming recaps with the ads and all the racers and the standing between each stage. I wish the movie would have leaned more into that dumb stuff rather than Statham's boring revenge story.

2/5 for Death Race

#5814 Edited by jadegl (1414 posts) -

My husband and I have so many things we want to watch (TV, Movies) that we have to have a system for randomizing selection or else we end up pretty much not watching anything, or spending way too much time trying to pick what to watch next. Last time we decided to select five movies with this criteria -

1. I picked a letter of the alphabet (C was my choice)
  2. My husband picked an actor with a last name that started with that letter (Nicolas Cage)
  3. I had to pick 5 movies to watch with that actor

So our most recent selection of movies were -

• Con Air
  • Drive Angry
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
  • Mandy

And ho-leeeeeeee sheeeee-it what a bonkers selection of movies that ended up being. I knew what to expect with Mandy, since I had already seen Beyond the Black Rainbow, but the real WTF was Bad Lieutenant. I don't know what I expected but that movie was just so weird. Imaginary iguanas, break dancing ghosts, SO MANY DRUGS, an unexpected (by me) appearance by Val Kilmer... Just off the wall. So if I was ranking them best to worst, it would probably go - Mandy, Con Air, Bad Lieutenant, Drive Angry, The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Although, Drive Angry was kind of okay in a bootleg Ghost Rider kind of way. If you watch any of these, Mandy is probably the best but most divisive, imo. Con Air is pretty interesting, although I think it isn't as good as I was led to believe by the internet. Sorcerer's Apprentice is just off brand Harry Potter with worse characters and world building, though Cage is fun in it. Bad Lieutenant is BONKERS so worth seeing for that at least. Drive Angry better than I expected, since I kind of expected a trash fire. It far exceeded those expectations.

My husband and I also just watched (I had to pick movies on our shelf that had blue spines)-

• Basic Instinct - a worse version of Body Heat, but certainly not bad and I was always entertained
  • The Fog - not the best John Carpenter movie I've ever seen, but had some cool moments. Honestly, the Garfield Halloween special does pirate ghosts better :/
  • How to Deal - horrible horrible HORRIBLE Mandy Moore teen drama comedy (?) which was boring, incoherent, visually bland and literally filled from beginning to end with overused tropes and cliches. May be the worst film I have ever seen. I am not exaggerating. No redeeming qualities. DO NOT WATCH.

I skipped ratings since I kind of just go on a recommend/do not recommend scale at this point. Of everything I listed, I would recommend watching Mandy, Basic Instinct, Con Air and Bad Lieutenant. Anything else you can skip and not feel bad about it.