Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6001  Edited By Shindig

Rush

Okay, so I'm not huge on this but it was a decent watch. Bruhl's performance is so spot on whilst Hemsworth does a decent job with Hunt. I dislike Hunt as a driver but he's suitably a mess in this film. 7/10. Would've been 8/10 if they put in that story about Lauda goosestepping into Hunt's hotel room before the Japanese Grand Prix.

I'd love a one of Senna and Prost's rivalry.

AlisterCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Blue Velvet was way more disturbing than I expected. Way more straightforward, too. It was OK. I'll probably never watch it again.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As part of my need to justify the purchase of all those Showa-era Godzilla movies (as if I need a justification that shit's rad), this weekend's film was...

Godzilla Raids Again: The direct sequel to the original film, which means they have to come up with a way of dealing with two facts from Godzilla (which on the off-chance someone gives a shit about spoilers for a movie from the 50s, spoilers for Godzilla below):

1. Godzilla died at the end. In fact, Godzilla got annihilated at the end and turned into a big old skeleton by the Oxygen Destroyer, which leads into the second thing of

2. They know how to kill Godzilla so he's not as much of a threat

But the movie has an answer to this! There's simply just another Godzilla stomping about, establishing Godzilla as something of a species rather than a singular monster, for starters, and honestly the second part takes care of itself because Dr. Serizawa's whole arc was "nobody can ever have this awful thing I made so I'm going to destroy my notes and also kill myself" so that takes care of that.

Also there's a giant anklyosaurus named Angurius that also got woken up by nuclear testing because why not. Godzilla and Angurius don't like each other (we'll ignore how they become best buds by the time Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla rolls around), so they're fighting, and Japan kind of gets caught in the middle, as it normally does. Unlike the first Godzilla, where he's the specter of nuclear destruction, this time he is treated much more like a natural disaster that one simply has to prepare for. The Japanese government has not been idle in the time since the original film and has a plan of action which actually works until some random-ass prisoners blow up an oil refinery because they can't drive well and grab Godzilla's attention (and then Angurius shows up to see what the fuss is all about).

The fight between the two monsters is actually pretty low-key compared to the pro wrestling-style of later films, and there's a savagery to it that's pretty impressive! It's pretty great, and the JDF is shown as pretty competent (they actually end up being the solution in the end, as they bury Godzilla under an avelanche (granted, they get the idea after one of the main characters gets killed by Godzilla and crashes his plane into a mountainside, which is weird but okay). The human side of things is pretty okay for what it is: you've got two pilots that are buddies, one of them is single and one of them is getting married, and all three of them work for a cannery. You also get scenes of the clean-up in the aftermath of one of the attacks, which is pretty interesting!

Anyway it's a good follow-up though some of the human element stuff is kind of boring (also at no point does anyone sing a song about King Ceaser) and at one point they just show a bunch of footage from the original Godzilla in case you forgot that he'd done this before.

3 repeated shots of tanks firing out of 5.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker - 3/5 - Overall it was a decently entertaining film. I surprisingly didn’t find Kylo/Ben to be a big whiny brat this time around so that was refreshing. And looking back there’s a stark contrast between the arc he had and the one Rey had. In that, she basically has no arc at all. For all intents and purposes, Rey feels like a blank slate for the audience to project their own heroism on rather than a character of her own. Even the other two side characters in Finn and Poe felt like they have been given some sort of arc over the three films, however shallow.

Also, I am extremely over Star Wars having creatures or characters who’s existance is merely made to be a gag, overtly adorable or ”let’s see if this can turn into a meme”.

SuperJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

@ford_dent: I'm going through this set chronologically - currently at Disc 4, Son of Godzilla. Not sure if you already know, but the Japanese version of King Kong Vs Godzilla is on the supplemental disc. The trajectory of these movies, in terms of tone and target demographic, is fascinating because it starts off like HBO's Chernobyl but gradually skews younger, with every movie ending with an ecological PSA for kids:

"Shouldn't we thank Godzilla?"

"We can thank him by building a better world."

THE END

Despite the varying quality of these movies I'm finding them highly entertaining.

dancecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I WANT TO EAT YOUR PANCREAS (2018) - 3 out of 5 stars - Not quite the emotional gut punch I was expecting. The ending was a bit abrupt, but there was a scene after the end credits that tied it all together nicely. That really should have been the ending because it's not just a cute bonus scene like in the Marvel movies, it's actually very important and provides closure to the story. Not sure what the director was thinking there.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superjoe: Oh man I did not know they included the Japanese version! The plot summary I've read of it sounds way more interesting than the American version. I'm looking forward to checking that out now. I decided to proceed chronologically as well moving forward, although I did not start out that way because I let my nephew pick once, and my brother pick once, and they were both not interested in chronological order.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
SloppyDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

The Gentlemen - 4/5

Guy Ritchie was the number two director of my teens (behind, of course, Tarantino). Lock Stock and Snatch were some of my friend groups fav. movies, and you can bet we all had terrible Brad Pitt Pikey impressions. So I went into this hoping for a return to form and that's exactly what I got. It starts off slow but once you get into the story it's full of colorful characters, sharp and clever dialogue, and fun set pieces. It is much more subdued than his early films but I think it's better for it as it probably would've felt weird to try and recapture the youthful attitude of those films. Hugh Grant and Collin Ferrell steal the show performance wise, but the entire cast is good. Oh and the soundtrack is completely bitchin.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Terminator: Dark Fate

2/5

I give it one point for existing, and another for having half way decent action scenes.

The rest of it is just awful. Completely awful. It doesn’t make sense, it destroys the first two terminator movies, and completely makes a mockery of the Terminator. It’s horrible and should have never been made.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Godzilla vs. King Kong: Or wait, is it the other way around? I guess it doesn't matter.

I'd only seen the American cut of this film, which changes the plot around considerably and makes it less interesting as a result. The Criterion Collection, unknown to me, included the Japanese cut of the film as well, which is fucking wild, in a good way. It also has some real uh.... questionable makeup choices which are fucking wild in the other way, the one where you kind of cringe and go "oof that didn't age well."

But, the central plot, which is the ad department of a TV network setting out to capture King Kong to improve the ad ratings for their news program and please their pharmaceutical company client, aged like fine wine - which is to say, it remains completely believable. It's kind of an odd one - Godzilla shows up kind of just because his name is in the title, breaking out of the iceberg that I guess formed when he got buried under an avalanche in the last movie (if you want to string some kind of continuity into these, I guess), and much like in Godzilla Raids Again, the Japanese government treats him like a natural disaster - they evacuate and form a plan to at least try to control his movements a little by uh, building a big electric fence, kind of?

This is thwarted because King Kong as it turns out fucking loves electricity, and so in spite of getting his ass handed to him by Godzilla an awful lot, gets supercharged and deployed to beat Godzilla's ass (after, of course, the TV network ensures they're the only ones allowed to broadcast the fight). This is the first one in color, and my big lizard son looks gorgeous. There's a whole thing where they keep getting King Kong high to control him, too. This is a wild fucking ride of a film.

4 stoned giant apes out of 5

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

John Wick 3 - The first two movies (especially JW2) are great. It might be series fatigue setting in with this one, or maybe it's just me being overly critical of a movie that's clearly supposed to be an action scene showcase, but this one didn't land quite as well as the others for me. Many of the things they took care to actually pay attention to in the first two (e.g. proper capacity of bullets/reloading) were tossed aside in this one. They also really pushed the envelope on how "tough" everyone is and what they could survive to degrees that made everything a bit too ridiculous. I will say the movie is a visual treat and the knife scene was fucking awesome. Halle Berry was surprisingly decent in the movie and Ian McShane was excellent as always. This movie, however, largely felt like an attempt to make an already over-the-top series more over-the-top, and it was worse for it. Still, it was a fun watch. 3.5/5

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6012  Edited By hermes

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (3/5)

It was decently made, and seeing Tom Hanks in action being inspirational is always a treat, but the movie is extremely tame and doesn't explore its characters enough. To compensate for a quasi messianic and simplistic vision of Mr. Rogers, it also paints a caricaturesque portrait of Lloyd Vogel (the real protagonist of the movie) ...for a movie named after the show, Rogers plays an incidental character in the story.

Maybe it was my relative disconnect with the cultural reference of Mr. Rogers, but all the time I was expecting him to pull a "one hour photo"... he was presented as externally simple in his almost aggressive niceness, but internally complex and heavy burdened, but everytime the movie teased into exploring his inner world, it immediately turn around and focused on the other characters. I left the theater knowing nothing of consequence about Frederick Rogers.

tchunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Place Beyond the Pines - 3/5

Been meaning to watch this for years, and the stars finally aligned and Netflix actually still has it to stream. I never knew much about its plot or setting, but had seen trailers when it released and it looked like a powerful film that I'd enjoy. That's pretty much the only expectation that I had, and I'd say it met that fairly well.

What I DIDN'T expect was a short epic (weird phrase, I know, but bear with me) about two separate families that become intertwined by suddenly and harshly, and continue to experience the aftershocks of that for nearly twenty years.

With a run-time approaching three hours, it's got lots of meat on its bones. The story is told in a three-act structure, which works well for the pace of the film. (For reference, I tried watching American Honey a few days later, another nearly three-hour film. Thinking it was getting to a climactic buildup, I paused and was dumbfounded to see only fifty minutes had gone by.) Story arcs through the three acts keep things moving, as well as continuing the overall arc of the whole film. The writing, in that sense, works really well to move everything in the same direction while staying cohesive.

Unfortunately, about the half-way point, the script hits a downhill slope, pretty much all the way to a nose-dive finish. Cliches and caricatures get hammered harder and harder through pretty much the whole third act, which centers mostly around two teenagers going through Some Shit™ in high-school. Logical issues become obvious enough for me to notice (and I'm not the kind of person who finds value in ripping apart Inception to prove it doesn't work). The characters who developed in acts one and two still work here, but justice really isn't done to the teenage boys. The second half of the film, give or take, is pretty disappointing from that perspective. And personally, the progression of plot is really sour - the first comparison that comes to mind for me is Chinatown, the way it starts with a lot of questions and ends with all these dreary, depressing answers. The final shot of the film, on its own, would be triumphant; instead, in context of everything that came before, it came across more melancholic and defeated.

Performances are solid all around, though. Even the teenage actors do a great job, considering the ham-fisted characterization and script they had to work with. Each character is played with tenderness as well as anger/brooding/violence/etc. The film was also shot very well, specifically highlighting characters in certain ways and tying them together through framing and choreography and movement. The visual style of the film works wonders, carrying the story along and developing mood throughout.

For all its ambition, intent, and power, it just can't stick the landing. It kicks off with such a strong tone and vision, but enough problems develop over the three acts to pull everything down a peg or two. Some serious talent went into the film, though, so while I wouldn't watch it again for the sum of its parts, another viewing to break it down and analyze those pieces would be well worth it.

SloppyDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Farewell - 4.5/5

Finally watched this and it lived up to the hype. A funny yet melancholy family drama. The lead is pretty great in it but so is the whole cast. Loved getting a glimpse into Chinese culture and the dynamics of belonging to two different cultures. Made me wish my Grandmas were more affectionate/understanding but it is what it is.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

#6015  Edited By Humanity

Bad Boys for Life - 3/5

I kept hearing great word of mouth about this latest entry in the Bad Boys series a whopping 17 years divorced from its last showing during the heyday of 90’s era Bay action flicks. What is most surprising is that it feels like this movie is straight from that bygone era almost as if it was stashed away in a time capsule waiting 17 years to be unearthed. From the dialog to the paper thin plot full of ridiculous turns and largely consequence free action sequences Bad Boys is light on it’s feet and full of jokes. While Skyfall explored the idea of old age and injuries catching up to the famed 007, Bad Boys toys with the premise but ultimately doesn’t commit when it counts relying on familiar “I’m too old for this shit” jokes. The banter between Smith and Lawrence is the highlight of the film but it’s impossible to look at either actor and not see Martin Lawrence and Will Smith playing basically themselves.

Maybe there was a hunger out there for very mindless action flicks that led to all this positivity. Maybe it’s just fun to revisit the past for some folks. Bad Boys for Life feels like a really well made straight to DVD sequel that somehow managed to snag all the past talent and secure big screen showings.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6016  Edited By Ford_Dent

Godzilla vs Mothra: Or wait, shit, is it Mothra vs Godzilla? Doesn't matter, here we go:

According to the Criteron Collection writeup of this movie (those writeups rule, by the way), this is the last of the Godzilla movies where the big man is wholly portrayed as an antagonist - not consciously antagonistic, of course, but antagonistic in the way a natural disaster is antagonistic. Somehow after getting his ass handed to him by King Kong, the world's greatest giant lizard ended up buried, and a typhoon recovery effort ends up unearthing him by accident. This is after, of course, Mothra's egg washes up and becomes the center of a plot involving (what else) greedy fuckin' capitalists.

The movie can't quite seem to bring itself to say whether or not the events of Mothra happened - nobody seems to know who the twin fairies are, but also they don't seem shocked by Mothera showing up asking for her egg back. Either way, the important thing is that aforementioned greedy capitalists decide they want to keep the egg so they can build an amusement park around it (?) and that gives the film a great excuse to lay into greedy folks and also add an environmental message (they need the egg back because Mothra's dying and her offspring will help stave off the awful decay of Infant Island caused by nuclear testing). Anyway, Godzilla wakes up grumpy and our heroes go to beg Mothra to help Japan out, and Mothra (in kind of an emotional scene, honestly) agrees to go fight Godzilla, even though doing so ensures she will die in Japan rather than at home where she'd prefer to be. Basically Mothra is Old Snake from MGS4, is what I'm saying, if Old Snake actually followed through with offing himself at the end. Er, and if he was a giant moth. It should be said the portrayal of Infant Island's desolation is pretty grim, which given Godzilla's whole running anti-nuke theme isn't surprising, but still. Pretty effective!

By the end of the film, our greedy fuckin' capitalists have gotten some karmic justice, as one betrays the other only to end up killed when Godzilla sort of wanders by and knocks the building over. It's darkly funny, in its way. I also want to specifically call out the fact that Godzilla's portrayed as kind of a goof in this - a lot of the destruction he causes is because he like, trips and falls into a building, then gets pissed at the building for being in his way and just kinda kicks it over in retaliation. There's no malice, just the sort of grumpiness that comes from being freshly awake after a long nap under a lake.

Anyway, Mothra fights Godzilla, and dies, and then the egg hatches and its twins, and that's all she wrote for Godzilla, who gets cocooned and falls into the ocean (as you do). While all that's going on the heroes of the film are in a sideplot involving rescuing a bunch of schoolchildren and a teacher from the island Godzilla and Mothra('s kids) are fighting on. Then, with Godzilla gone, Mothra('s kids) peace the fuck out, leaving our hero to say that the best way to repay Mothra for her help is to make sure the world isn't so fucking polluted anymore.

I liked this one, and not just because it sets the table for what is my favorite of these films, which is Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster (which I already reviewed earlier). Once you get past that one though, it is fair to say the quality of these films is gonna go downhill with a suddeness.

Oh, and special shoutout to the Mothra song which still gives me chills because of how well-deployed it was in Godzilla King of the Monsters last year.

4 giant moth larvae out of 5

Since I've already done write-ups for Ghidorah and Astro Monster, the next up is Ebriah, Horror of the Deep. Sounds promising, doesn't it?

SloppyDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alps - 3.5/5

Yorgos Lanthimos is one of the most interesting filmmakers out their right now. This is widely considered to be one of his lesser works, and I agree. There's plenty of Lanthimos' trademark absurd deconstruction of human interactions that make for some provoking and uncomfortable scenes, but I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to say with this. He's obviously very interested in the ways humans perform for each other - especially around death - but I didn't get any concrete thoughts out of it. One thing I know is that Yorgos is the king of dance scenes.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghost World (2001).

This is something of a coming-of-age story following Enid and Rebecca, two girls who just graduated high school with no plans for college and no life yet made for themselves. They breeze through their life on irony and detachment. Enid is one of my favorite movie characters - she is very complex and believable, reminding me of old friends in my own high school. Throughout the running time she drifts away from Rebecca, who has more practical plans for her life, such as getting a job and an apartment. Enid, on the other hand, has no idea what she wants - but something more than suburban lifestyle. She is immature and sometimes doesn't weigh the consequences of her actions, just drifting through the world trying to see if there might be a small piece of it for her. It perfectly captures the feeling of lostness that I think a lot of people go through in their late-teens / early twenties, with no idea of what may be in store. Somehow, she's going to have to build some sort of home for herself, one built on something more than previously mentioned irony and attachment. I don't know what she'll do after the movie's conclusion, but I think she is going to try. I hope she succeeds.

tellmewhy_not

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grand Hotel Budapest 10/10, not exaggerating.

The plot, action, the whole environment, actors were top notch. Truly a discovery.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Heavy Metal

4/5 but 5/5 animation

I'm a big time animation fan. Like, not just things that are animated, like cartoons and anime. I mean the actual quality and craft of animation. Shinkai has been eye opening in that regards this last decade.

So I watched HM last night and it blew my nips off. Absolutely incredibly quality art that's over 40 years old, and still looks stunning. It helps that the soundtrack is absolutely killer too