Rate the last movie you watched.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4301  Edited By Twiggy199

Dunkirk 5/5. I came to realise as I left the cinema, I will never see a more perfect film. If you can, see it in IMAX, it blew my mind.

There are scenes that feel so intimate, especially Tom Hardy's scenes, you feel as if you are right there with him which is something I've never felt before.

I found it to be massively intenense, emotional and it filled me with with intense pride for my country which is where the emotional side came from.

Also that fucking soundtrack!.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4302  Edited By Ezekiel
  • After Hours. Surprisingly good and entertaining for a Scorsese movie nobody talks about. 8/10.
  • The Last Emperor - 8/10. Biopic of the last emperor of China. I didn't know anything about him. Interesting.
  • Gilda - 8
  • Edge of Tomorrow - 7
PSdualwielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twiggy199: Watching it tomorrow, got my imax tickets purchased and best seats reserved! Honestly as far as a Chris Nolan movie goes the trailers didn't give me the most enthusiasm, but the lead up in the last week it certainly seems word is it's one of his best movies yet.

Watched scott pilgrim vs the world yesterday, I loved the editing and synchronicity of cuts signature to Edgar Wrights, but the acting of most of the cast felt subpar. 8/10

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4304  Edited By RonGalaxy

The Conjuring: 3/5

When it comes to style/tension/scares the movie is top notch, but the story didn't really come together for me in the end. I know; asking for a well rounded plot from a horror movie is asking a lot, but I really was expecting more from this one. Still worth a watch if you like horror.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4305  Edited By DarkeyeHails

@rongalaxy: I explained The Conjuring to a friend as being a incredibly well-crafted film that made me feel nothing. 3/5 feels about right.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4306  Edited By RosesAreDan

Heat, umm let's say 4/5? Awesome movie, but it definitely felt a bit aged at some points. Awesome character development and subplots.

LostOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King Arthur Legend the Sword: It felt really weird and confused. At some points it was trying to be Beowulf, at some points it was trying to be Game of Thrones and at othe points it was straight up anime. Could have been good if it picked a lane but WOOF! what a mess.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4308  Edited By cornfed40

Dunkirk: 5/5.

What a film. Echo what others here have said, go see this in the theatre, on the biggest screen you can find. Probably the least violent, yet most stressful war movie I can think of. Nolan's juxtaposition of time frame between the various character stories was a thing of brilliance.

As much as I like him, I was both shocked and thrilled that Michael Cain was not shoe horned into this.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dunkirk 4 or 5/5 about as tone poem of a war movie as you can get since The Thin Red Line but a more tightly wrought experience and lots of really loud/scary sounding planes, boats sinking, and drowning/near drowning. I want to hug the practical effects.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#4310  Edited By liquiddragon

Dunkirk (3/5 IMAX 70mm) (2/5 35mm)

I guess I'm the odd man out. This movie is not very good. First of all, if you can't see this picture in 70mm IMAX, skip it all together. Check here and see if one's near you. Ask the IMAX theater at your location about the size of the screen if you want to make sure and if they don't describe it in terms of stories (the one I went to was 6 stories tall) then forget it. The fact that they're taking money for this movie in your regular theaters and LIEMAX is highway robbery. I first saw this film at my local theater and left completely numb, scratching my head. Then I drove down pretty far to a 70mm IMAX theater to see what I was missing. What's missing is the movie. This movie was shot about 70% in IMAX 70mm, that's the way it was meant to be seen and the movie heavily relies on the strength of the format. Most of the enjoyment I got was from looking at the beautiful square images, the movie itself however...

I like movies that play with structure and time and Chris Nolan has done those things to varying success in the passed but this is not one of them. Dunkirk starts to come together towards the end when all the events converge but we spent the majority of time jumping back and forth in time between 3 perspectives in barely comprehensible manner. Nolan started to have editing problems starting with The Dark Knight but it's never been as bad as this latest film. Part of it has to do with the structure and some of it has to do with the way it compresses the 1 week event and stretches the 1 hour event. Most of the movie feels like things are just happening because history and the script dictates it does and it's very hard to care about any of it because we're constantly jumping timelines, between faces, not characters, we have zero investment in. Whenever Mark Rylance utters a word, I gained a glimmer of hope that I could grab hold of people I could care about but those moments are so few and so far between.

What I liked about the movie is that it's a war movie unlike any other. Seeing the soliders in mass at the end, come back to England all defeated in that wide crane shot was great. Dunkirk has a lot of great images to show you so see it the way it was intended if you must.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I like him, I was both shocked and thrilled that Michael Cain was not shoe horned into this.

Actually he voices the third Spitfire pilot.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: sonfabitch, your totally right, cant believe i didnt place him as the home radio guy

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4313  Edited By Ezekiel

Dunkirk. 7/10. I barely felt anything.

I don't get how people can understand even two thirds of the dialogue with those speakers. Wtf did the officer say to that other officer on the dock shortly before the movie ended? He called over to him and then the young man got up and joined the others on one of the last british boats. Someone behind me laughed at whatever the middle-aged man said.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

I don't get how people can understand even two thirds of the dialogue with those speakers. Wtf did the officer say to that other officer on the dock shortly before the movie ended? He called over to him and then the young man got up and joined the others on one of the last british boats. Someone behind me laughed at whatever the middle-aged man said.

He said he was staying for the French.

What is it with people not hearing dialogue in Nolan movies, I'm not even a native speaker and have never had this problem in any of his movies. Are people just listening/paying attention with one ear/eye to movies these days?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4315  Edited By Ezekiel

@pilgore said:
@ezekiel said:

He said he was staying for the French.

What is it with people not hearing dialogue in Nolan movies, I'm not even a native speaker and have never had this problem in any of his movies. Are people just listening/paying attention with one ear/eye to movies these days?

I heard that clearly. The moment I'm talking about is shortly before that. The scene opens with a young officer sitting on the pier. The old officer calls out to him and asks him something like, "You wanna stay here?" Then the young officer runs over to him and gets into the boat. I have no clue what else he could have been yelling. It's then that he says he's staying for the French.

I had trouble hearing dialogue in Mad Max and Star Wars VII too. Maybe it's the cinema I go to. I think auditoriums are just bad for sound. The speakers aren't good enough and the huge space creates too much distortion.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4317  Edited By Ezekiel

@dudeglove said:

Nolan should not write screenplays, because characters saying precisely what is happening in the scene is not dialog.

Yeah, I found that awkward too. Not a big fan of his. The only movie I thought highly of was Memento. Well, and Batman Begins, but that's because it's the most Batmany Batman movie ever. It has a lot of the same problems as his other movies.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw Dunkirk, was always facinated by the story ( since i life close to it.) Came in expecting a war movie. Came out watching a pretty good logistical thriller 4/5 stars not for everyone. Still, if you got any intrest in one of WW2 greatest events GO THIS MOVIE.

waterfallsuite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched Batman v Superman for the first time on HBO this weekend. I can't believe how disappointing it was even knowing what was going to happen and how much people have disliked it. From a production POV I loved this movie though. The suits, the Batmobile, the Batcave, all the background stuff was pretty incredible. The film making itself was absolutely just bad. Zach Snyder is completely done for me. The pacing, the writing, the shots, the action- all some of the worst I've seen from a movie this big. It also makes very little sense. I like Ben Affleck as a Bruce Wayne a lot, I really do. Reminds me a lot of the Animated series Bruce that I really fell in love with. Still not very funny though. Bruce wayne should have a really dark sense of humor IMO but hey that's me. 1/5 for the movie but 5/5 for the production design.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valerian - Visually it was super cool. The aliens did look a bit too CGI. Loved the intro with the International Space Station and what it becomes. But the story just seemed bland and going nowhere. One alien was introduced as a dance act. Cool alien and abilities. But when it came to the character joining the group it was poorly done. The voice acting was horrible and not at all entertaining. Should not have been added or maybe used in a different way. One character introduced early on made a promise and we never got to see that happen. It may be minor for some but the tone made me think more was to come. As for the two main characters Lorelai (sp?) was decent, but Valerian was forgettable. 4/5 visuals, 2/5 for the movie.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RoboCop (1987)

A guilty 8/10. I miss the violence and profanity of the '80s. It's a good human drama too.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I saw Valerian today to a bit of disappointment mixed with enjoyment. I was mainly excited to see Luc Besson direct something with more spectacle, and in that department, it was excellent. Valerian is visually arresting, sometimes awe-inspiring with its art direction and animation, even though it is very cartoonish. I very much loved the way the movie looked, and just about every frame was delicious, colorful eye-candy. There were more than a few spots where you could tell this was directed by the same guy who made The Fifth Element. Unfortunately, I don't think Dane DeHaan carried his weight as the lead, hardly in the same league as Bruce Willis in his prime. Much of his delivery is very flat, sometimes conflicting with the tone or gravity of the scene. The fact that he looks much younger than he is doesn't help. Cara Delevinge gave a significantly stronger performance of the two, equal parts compassionate and bad ass when the time called for it.

The first half of the movie is honestly really damn fun. There are lot of neat, clever bits, from the world-building, tech, set pieces, and characters. Strangely, the final act of the film feels much smaller-scale than the rest, and the story loses the impact it was trying to go for (not that it's amazing to begin with, but it had potential). The action sequences are good if not a little forgettable. What really did them in was the sound design. Perhaps it was my theater, though the rest of the movie didn't have this issue, but all of the sound effects during the action scenes were very low in the mix, from gunshots to explosions and everything in between. These moments felt weightless without that "oomph" factor with the sound design.

@toosweet said:

One alien was introduced as a dance act. Cool alien and abilities. But when it came to the character joining the group it was poorly done. The voice acting was horrible and not at all entertaining. Should not have been added or maybe used in a different way. One character introduced early on made a promise and we never got to see that happen.

YES. The Rhianna alien was a terrible sequence. It dragged and added fucking nothing to the movie that couldn't have been solved with a scene half the length and without having to suffer through Rhianna's cringe-inducing delivery. I was squirming in my skin whenever she spoke. Not to mention that her VO has no proper placement within the environment, rather it just sounds front and center to everything else no matter where her character was. As for the John Goodman alien, I was also expecting something to happen with him later on. I think Besson just used his threat as an excuse to have a fun Taken reference.

Valerian is not bad by any means and I don't think it deserved to bomb. It is, however, lacking in some key areas that keep it from reaching the cosmic heights it was reaching for. I'd say it's a solid 3/5.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Kong: Skull Island (2017)
1.5 out of 4 (terrible don't even bother seeing it)

Kong is right up there with Tom Cruise's "Mummy" as a total disaster of an introduction to a series of films. It is OBVIOUS that someone was looking to make a series of western "giant monster movies", but they fail to set it up at all. John Goodman practically waggles his eyebrows when he says "Monarch" as this film tries to set up other films; but the films refused to spend in 2 minutes giving ist some backstory and heft to care about. Ist all "tell" and no "show" for what Monarch is about.

Kong is poorly done in CG and looked fake in 99% of the film. I'm sure making a giant ape is a hard thing to do, but the movie from 2005 was BETTER. The story is overly complex with too many moving parts that are not explained well enough. Nearly 4/5 of the cast on screen is not properly introduced. Who is teh Japanese women? What and why is Monach? Why is there a totally different organization called LANDMAT as part of the expedition 30 min into teh damn movie...wasn't Monarch enough? We are introduced to nine or ten soldiers; however, on the ship there are 30 or 40....and every one of them has NO PURPOSE. The whole movie is over written, has too many two-dimensional characters and poorly explained.

- Set up the meta-story of Monarch and who San (the Japanese women) are; and then explain why we shoudl care.
- Given everyone a motivation for being there, make the characters three dimensional please. I left the movies not caring who anyone was or if they got off the island. That why this movies doesn't work.
- Nobody acted, looked or even has a haircut from the 1970s...it was distracting how poorly they recreated the period. Brie Larson was not even wearing a 1970-s bra.
- Cut the military bullshit! There are too many stories in the movie anyway, so cut all the Sam Jackson and military characters. The antagonists of the movies should be other monsters and the tribe being kindly, yet firm, about not wanting people to talk about Kong. Those are the "problems" the good character should be made to overcome; not yet another trope of a crazed military-man.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been watching a lot of moves these last few days, so to count them up:

1. Despicable Me 3. It looks really good and it's sometimes funny, but it's really focused on slapstick and piss jokes for little kids, with not much else going on that hits home with me(27). It's alright though. Some likeable characters, and the villain is a slapstick champion with all his dumb dancing and 80's pop culture gadgets. I give it 1 twin out of 2.
  2. X-Men: Days of future past. I thought this was alright. Never cared that much about the future X-Men cast, so those scenes weren't all that, but I really liked First Class. Shame this movie kills like half of that cast off-screen and everyone acts more stupid. Still, it's good fun. I give it 6 sentinels out of 10.
  3. Moana. Solid movie, in the classical 90's Disney sense of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin. I wish it had a decent villain, but it was a lot of fun and right up my alley. I give it 4 stupid cocks out of 5.
  4. Logan. No wonder this is the X-Men movie that gets all the cred, the world is shitty, everyone's miserable all the time and there's a lot more gore now. There's barely any superheroics in it, and bizarrely they rag on their own original comic book series that somehow exists in-universe now. It's a fine movie, but it's definitely not my taste, as a guy who thinks even Marvel's stuff could stand to be a little less mundane. I give it 4 miserable father figures and daughter figures out of 5 and encourage the makers to have a bummer crossover with Booker and Elizabeth, Joel and Ellie, and Lee and Clementine.
FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dunkirk might be what nolan's career has been leading to. What a fucking movie.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Circle

It was pretty bad.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Dunkirk's a fantastic movie in a long line of super-competent Nolan films, 5/5, definitely worth seeing
Nocturnal Animals is a great film too, seems like it would be a really pretentious movie as it starts with these four naked overweight women strip-dancing, but the plot itself I thought was simple enough to follow, and by the end of it I found it to be gut-wrenching and truly meaningful. I think maybe there's a metaphor here and there that hits you over the head harder than it needs to, but overall it's a film more people should talk about. 4/5

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atomic Blonde - 5/5

I went into this thinking it was going to be Female Bourne . That is selling it way short. It is a lot better than those movies have been of late. I'm going to turn 40 later this year. The film takes place in the days leading up to the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the music and fashion was right in my nostalgic wheelhouse. Charlize Theron is amazing as always. The movie does a good job of keeping you guessing. It's stylish and sexy without leaning too heavily on either of those elements as a crutch to move the plot along. Highly recommended.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dunkirk. The entire theatre was dead silent, it was as if we're holding our breaths the entire breaths and could exhale only in the last couple minutes. Seeing it in IMAX was amazing and I'm now half deaf.

Get Out. A refreshing take on the horror/thriller genre, fantastic work by Jordan Peele.

Power Rangers. I expected horribleness but was greeted with even more disappointment., it wasn't even cheesy enough be that kind of bad, it was just super rushed, boring and bad.

Moana/Vaiana. Loved it, great songs, breathtaking visuals and realistic acting characters.

Kimi no na wa/ Your Name. Every shot was a damn work of art, fantastic soundtrack and touching time travel story. You owe it your self to see it on Blu-Ray.

hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Wow, savage. I think I'm mostly there with you, though. It reminded me of another movie that irritated the shit out of me that the whole world loved: A History of Violence.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4332  Edited By Ezekiel

The Thing - 4/5

Better than I gave it credit for after I watched it about seven years ago. The paranoia... I'm also impressed by the versatility of Ennio Morricone. The music is so different from his other stuff. It's simplistic, but effective. I'm told some of it was also written by John Carpenter.

The Big Heat (1953) - 4/5

American noir by Fritz Lang (M, Metropolis). Very good. Surprisingly violent for an American movie of that time.

Sicario - 3/5.

Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 2/5

Average. Dumbed down for the action-hungry average moviegoers. People so bloodthirsty that they apparently need Aramaki to execute the bad guy, rather than arrest him. Though, I don't really care how faithful it is to the source material. I would have distanced it even more so that it's not in this awkward position of copying the old, sometimes scene for scene, while trying to tell a new story. My American Ghost in the Shell adaptation would have given the characters western names and set the story in future Los Angeles. It could work. The L.A. of Blade Runner is barely recognizable. Nobody cared that The Departed wasn't set in Hong Kong or that Kurosawa's Shakespeare adaptations were set in Japan. Make it your own. Show me new scenes.

Major has one of the worst haircuts I've seen in sci-fi. An uneven fringe, long on the sides and cut really short in the back. The hair also defies gravity, somehow.

http://i.imgur.com/kteVHGR.jpg

Anime hair doesn't translate to live action. Aramaki's hair looks silly too. Also, Scarlett (I don't know how to spell her last name.) is too short. I'd have liked to see someone more muscular in the role. Not sure who. At least Emily Blunt from Edge of Tomorrow and that Mexican woman from Aliens worked out of their action roles. I would think the perfect shell would be more fit and ideal, especially one designed for combat. The muscles may be artificial, but they function just like real muscles. It's also pretty obvious Scarlett doesn't know how to fight from how chopped up the action scenes are.

The world looks fake. The giant holograms (seemingly projected without interfering lights) were too much, the tech is too fantastic, and you can tell that almost everything in the city is computer generated. The streets of Hong Kong are strangely free of traffic. Major rides her bike down a freeway with the road completely to herself, and much earlier Bato drives his sports car down an empty market-type street.

Overall, I'm not that bothered. I kind of enjoyed this even, despite some of the stupidity. I've always appreciated Ghost in the Shell, but I find the whole franchise overrated, from the manga to the movies and TV show. The sci-fi manga go... Battle Angel Alita > Akira > Blame! > Ghost in the Shell. The Akira movie is also better than Ghost in the Shell ever was. It's an awe-inspiring audio-visual experience, featuring some of the best animation Japan has ever produced (I believe it's the only Japanese animation with full lip sync.) and an amazing score by the Geinoh Yamashirogumi group. I would also put the Nausicaa manga at the top, but I consider it more fantasy.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: The painting that just read "revenge" was the most on-the-nose symbol of her reading a story about revenge written by her ex that wrote it for revenge to her. Unless it was supposed to double down on how empty and uninspired the Amy Adams character was supposed to be, stuff like that still felt overly corny than like oh so obscure or whatever. Idk, I totally thought it was not gonna be for me when you got to just the beginning and how ridiculously posh and "artistic" the Amy Adams parts were, but the western part really did make everything better. Not only was it the most gripping, but I also felt it added into the "real world" context that made it worthwhile to sit through and see what went wrong with like her character and her relationship with Jake Gyllenhaal's character. I guess I was okay with it being so cliché in all of those ways you said because it started seeming like that was the point, and by the end of it I came away really liking how the film set itself up. I stand by what I said, but I definitely get what you mean by it being melodramatic as fuck and being insufferable because of that. Usually not a fan of that stuff, but for whatever reason I thought it worked really well. And yeah Michael Shannon's a god-damn treasure. And imo those redneck rapists were some nihilistic fucking redneck rapists. Only thing I can say is that maybe the director over-Coened it, but they were great.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dunkirk

3/5

Good thing I only paid $1.50

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man: Homecoming is a really good Spider-Man movie that captures the feeling of the source material without being beholden to every element. I really dug The Vulture as a villain and was glad that it wasn't about saving the city so much as dealing with lower end stakes that felt right for Parker to deal with. They pivoted really well after the obnoxious schmozzle that was the Amazing series, who'da thunk it? 3.5/5 Awkward Teens.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Ghost in the Shell

Visually Stunning

Somewhat stilted acting

Great plot

Decent pacing

4/5

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4337  Edited By Brendan

Baby Driver: 4/5 Such a hyper specific and well realized/executed upon concept that it was fun to watch. The lead female character bothered me though; seemed poorly written.

Spiderman: Homecoming: 3/5 Good action and a lot of things to like, except the characters. I could not buy into almost every single character in that movie. Took me out of it.

Dunkirk: 5/5 How did they do all that in IMAX holy hot damn! More than just the cinematography to appreciate but I'll leave it at that.

SeriuzBiznus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4338  Edited By SeriuzBiznus

Finally got around to watching Kiki's Delivery Service (I've been gradually working my way through all the Studio Ghibli films). Solid film. I'd definitely rank it below Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies but I think I prefer it over My Neighbour Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle. It was charming and engaging throughout - despite the real lack of story. I watched with the original Japanese audio as I heard the dub was not so great. Apparently they also replaced the opening and closing music in the Disney version which is a real shame because the soundtrack was fantastic.

Next I need to decide whether to watch Ponyo, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind or The Tale of Princess Kaguya. All very different but highly rated films, so I guess it will really depend on my mood this weekend as to which I opt for.

hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question to the people that have seen the new Spider-Man: is the line "with great power comes great responsibility" uttered even once? Because I swear to God I will fucking walk out of the theater.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4341  Edited By hassun

@hippie_genocide: Saw it yesterday, didn't notice it being said. Definitely not unironically. Afaik the MCU Spider-Man doesn't even have an uncle Ben.

Speaking of which:

Spider-Man: Homecoming

I enjoyed this one quite a bit! Top 5 MCU film so far. Maybe even top 3.

The casting is great, the tone is fitting and the story and writing are more than decent. There are numerous references that should please the more dedicated fans. It also manages to set up future films in a non-hamfisted way which is uncommon in this genre.

Criticisms include the messy, hard-to-follow end fight and the perhaps a little too "focus-group-tested-to-death-and-checking-all-the-boxes" school environment. The CGI isn't top of the line but adequate enough and, aside from a few odd cuts, there is very little else to really complain about visually or cinematographically.

A quality effort from relatively inexperienced director Jon Watts. May the sequels be at least this good!

4/5

sfbaybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4342  Edited By sfbaybunny

Last movie I watched in theaters was Baby Driver. 5/5!!!

Don't bother watching the trailer or reading about it prior... Just go go go.

No Caption Provided

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Question to the people that have seen the new Spider-Man: is the line "with great power comes great responsibility" uttered even once? Because I swear to God I will fucking walk out of the theater.

No. Also not even a rephrase of it.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove But I mean, those parts *are* like No Country for Old Men, if only a little bit, especially the way Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character was this real grim lawless guy. Maybe that isn't just Coen brothers that write characters like that, but I wasn't just saying that because it was all deserty like the westerns they did.

And I don't know what's really that dumb about the ending, sure it's not that epic of a conclusion, but I didn't really see the ending saying that it was an elaborate scheme being set up this entire time, too. Her getting stood up says to me that she was an empty person with her life falling around her, and by the end of it she thinks she can reconcile and maybe start over a new life with Jake Gyllenhaal's character. Well he wasn't gonna have that, like she aborted his kid without telling him, and he wrote a book with the inspiration of that really breaking him. He doesn't want to see her he just wants to move on, and maybe standing her up would get the message clear that she needs to grow up too. It wasn't this convoluted domino effect more than she opened up the opportunity to show how vulnerable she is and he basically said "fuck off." I dunno, seemed effective enough to me, but to each their own.

Oh and new last movie I saw: Valerian, 3/5, with a possible cover-up for really thinking 2/5. I really wanted to like it so much more than I did, but just so much about it didn't really land. Basically what you said @onekillwonder_, guess I just want to add that I think the movie was implying by the end that the two main characters work as an inseparable unit and it seemed like it was supposed to be a stronger arc in the film but just didn't come off as dynamic as intended. It's a spectacle movie for sure and I wish I could say that alone is worth it, but a lot of the last half-or-third of the movie needed more spicing up or have the characters explore their bond a little more vividly to make up for that. Or I don't know, something.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Dunkirk: 5/5

No movie has ever made me as proud to be British.

Super weird because I am an American.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4346  Edited By RonGalaxy

The Matrix: 2/5

First time watching it. It's well made, has some good action scenes, and the effects hold up better than I expected, but everything else feels amateurish. It's basically dystopian sci-fi for dummies with some "one true savior" nonsense. I know that's really harsh, but I can't think of a better way to describe my feelings on it.

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

Pink Floyd: The Wall. Yes, it is a movie, and no, it is not a documentary about the band during the creation of the album. The movie was really weird, but was enjoyable and worked with the music well (guess what music they played.) 4/5

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: Not once. Uncle Ben is barely mentioned (once in passing while Aunt May is having a moment) and the movie isn't about the origin of the character.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@darkeyehails:

Yeah, it really assumes that the viewer already knows the basic spider-man origin story and gets on with its own thing, thankfully