Recommend me a media player...

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By erinfizz

So, two things have happened lately which have led to me staring to rip my cds. I have been noticing lately that all my 15 year old cds are kinda getting scratchy and fragile. Thus, backing everything up on my hard drive, which in turn meant I got an external hd for xmas.

I have never bothered to use anything other than Windows Media Player before...but now that I have a ton of music to manage it is giving me fits. My biggest problem is having things in two places. If I have a cd on both the external and internal hard drives, it shows all the tracks twice under the same album name. Also, occasionally my cds are extra special sucky and if Media Player can't rip them, it causes the computer to freak out forcing a hard reset.

So, I would assume there is a better option out there. I feel really old and out of touch having to ask about this...but I have never jumped on the download bandwagon, I never got an mp3 player other than my phone, and have clung to my cds.

Help!

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By erinfizz

So, two things have happened lately which have led to me staring to rip my cds. I have been noticing lately that all my 15 year old cds are kinda getting scratchy and fragile. Thus, backing everything up on my hard drive, which in turn meant I got an external hd for xmas.

I have never bothered to use anything other than Windows Media Player before...but now that I have a ton of music to manage it is giving me fits. My biggest problem is having things in two places. If I have a cd on both the external and internal hard drives, it shows all the tracks twice under the same album name. Also, occasionally my cds are extra special sucky and if Media Player can't rip them, it causes the computer to freak out forcing a hard reset.

So, I would assume there is a better option out there. I feel really old and out of touch having to ask about this...but I have never jumped on the download bandwagon, I never got an mp3 player other than my phone, and have clung to my cds.

Help!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

My self i use Winamp, free simple and great.

edit: also tons of free plugins and codecs.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By keyhunter

Either Winamp or Zune Software.

Zune software is the better of the two, but that requires you to buy a Zune. Which is also a good decision.

My bad, you don't need to purchase a Zune. You can just download the software from the website.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lunarbunny

I recommend Winamp for media playing, Exact Audio Copy for ripping.

As for seeing everything twice, just don't add the media from one of the locations to the media player's library.

geekpimpfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By geekpimpfx
keyhunter said:
"Either Winamp or Zune Software.

Zune software is the better of the two, but that requires you to buy a Zune. Which is also a good decision."
This is just not true.  You can use the Zune software without owning a Zune.  That's like saying you can't use iTunes without an iPod, it's just not true.

and the Zune software is pretty good about managing albums, it's not flawless, but it's one of the better softwares out there that I can think of.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By keyhunter
geekpimpfx said:
"keyhunter said:

Zune software is the better of the two, but that requires you to buy a Zune. Which is also a good decision."
This is just not true.  You can use the Zune software without owning a Zune.  That's like saying you can't use iTunes without an iPod, it's just not true.

and the Zune software is pretty good about managing albums, it's not flawless, but it's one of the better softwares out there that I can think of."

I EDITED my post a good 10 minutes before you made that post.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
keyhunter said:

Zune software is the better of the two, but that requires you to buy a Zune. Which is also a good decision.

My bad, you don't need to purchase a Zune. You can just download the software from the website."
Zune Software is inferior to Winamp, to speak nothing of Winamp Pro.

Get Winamp, and consider buying or uh... acquiring Winamp Pro for way better features/functions. Even the free Winamp outclasses other shit.
banned8921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By banned8921

Use vlc its the best free one it plays video also.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By KamasamaK
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Endogene
Jayge said:
"keyhunter said:

My bad, you don't need to purchase a Zune. You can just download the software from the website."

Get Winamp, and consider buying or uh... acquiring Winamp Pro for way better features/functions. Even the free Winamp outclasses other shit."
What is the diff between free and pro again? was it not only the ability to rip cds?
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#11  Edited By strangeling
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

Am I the only one that uses iTunes here? Maybe because I own an iPhone and am forced to own it...

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
Snail said:
"Am I the only one that uses iTunes here? Maybe because I own an iPhone and am forced to own it..."
No- I use iTunes as well.
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lunarbunny

iTunes is considered a poor choice for Windows - I agree. I only use it for my iPod.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By BigBoss1911

Itunes.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
Endogene said:
"Jayge said:
"keyhunter said:

Get Winamp, and consider buying or uh... acquiring Winamp Pro for way better features/functions. Even the free Winamp outclasses other shit."
What is the diff between free and pro again? was it not only the ability to rip cds?"
A bunch of deeper ripping and conversion features and crap.
Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Levio91 said:
"Use vlc its the best free one it plays video also."
I agree. VLC all the way. For video, that is. However, for music and keeping your library in order, I have to admit i-tunes is handy. It also rips very well.

Winamp is fine, but I always found its interface rather irritaing. However, I was alone in that form everyone I knew - they all used it and loved it!

You should maybe try a few and see what works for you. Most of them are free download, so you can try them, then lose the ones you don't like.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Endogene
theuncannygiraffe said:
"Levio91 said:
I agree. VLC all the way. For video, that is. However, for music and keeping your library in order, I have to admit i-tunes is handy. It also rips very well.

Winamp is fine, but I always found its interface rather irritaing. However, I was alone in that form everyone I knew - they all used it and loved it!

You should maybe try a few and see what works for you. Most of them are free download, so you can try them, then lose the ones you don't like."
Winamp its Interface is customisable actually, all my video runs on winamp since i downloaded the needed plugins.
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By erinfizz

Thanks yall :)  I think I will go download Winamp and Itunes and see how it goes.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I'd say iTunes

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By nicolenomicon

Creative mediasource player is really good, it has an id3 editor, eax effects and time scaling.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MisterSpiffy
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks

I second Songbird.  You can download stuff with that :)

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#24  Edited By joey
Levio91 said:
Im sad to say that  i agree with Levio...
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolverine

I really like the Zune software.