Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

Mainly im just lookin for something to listen to which is just so original and unalike everything ive ever heard that it blows my mind. I dont really care what type of music it is cause im pretty much open to anything. 
Anyways, as a heads up, my favourite bands are: The Doors, King Krimson, Lamb of God, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Modest Mouse, Pink Floyd, Primus, RHCP, Streetlight Manifesto, Sublime, Soad, Tool, and A Whilhelm Scream.  
Any and all suggestions are appreciated
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By jonnyboy

Electric Eel Shock. Three Japanese guys that love Black Sabbath and getting naked on stage. Saw them live at the O2 when it was still the dome (The Snickers skate tour) They opened up for the Vandals and Cypress Hill, so I guess that's pretty obscure. Also saw "Mad Capsule Markets" at the same gig and numerous times afterwards, Japanese Techno meets metal, with the bassist doing all the solo work. I'll try to find some vids.....

EDIT: here you go, but I forgot to mention both bands totally speak 'Engrish'  Listen to Island till the end to get the full flavour, not their best song but my favorite.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

I always recommend the band Headlights when asked about something quirky, fun and under the radar.   I have a few of their albums and I find them melodic and fresh.  Here's a few more by them:  Market Girl - Put Us Back Together - TV

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By emkeighcameron

Charles Valentin Alkan: The Feast of Aesop

best piece ever that no one knows about

unless you're a major classical piano buff with a focus on esoteric composers. Definitely worth a Google search at least, though

Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Disengage

"0)))bow1" by SUNN0))) and Merzbow

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
@jonnyboy:
hmmm i never considered cypress hill to be that obscure, but anyways im sorta diggin that mad capsule markets song
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By innacces14

Here's something to just sit back to. Not anything spectacular, but still good to take a listen. 

Poppycock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Poppycock

I really like the Doors and Modest Mouse as well. Check out the Good, the Bad, and the Queen. Moody, pretty, and awesome. 

RashDendar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By RashDendar

Frank Zappa. 

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jonnyboy
@21stCenturyJesus: Yeah it was was the three naked Japaese dudes playing Black Sabbath songs that I meant to say was obscure. Also listen to "Osc-Dis" (oscillator in distortion) or "010" albums if you're digging the MCM. P.S saw them later in the Mean Fiddler under Totenham Court Road station years ago, craziest crowd ever. Predominantly Japanese and bat-shit Crazy.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust
@innacces14:  I've got them on my Ipod.  If you like them, you should check out Land of Talk.
crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ApertureSilence

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By raidingkvatch

The Fall maybe

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames

Do you want obscure hip-hop by everyone's standard of it's own standard?  Because there's underground compared the general mainstream and underground compared to the people who know a lot about it.  I consider myself a pretty educated guy when it comes to hip-hop and there's a lot of groups I still don't recognize.

Pavlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pavlo

ratatat, metronomy, modest mouse, little people, death cab for cutie, the postal service.  

listen.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By masternater27
@Tarsier said:
" BLACK DICE  autechre aphex twin boards of canada efterklang panda bear   "
Good list! 

I'll throw in my two cents of BT, Venetian Snares, and Prefuse 73.
Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Carlos1408

I was gonna recommend some Primus (Ilove them) but it seems you already know them so I'll reccomend other stuff, which you've probably heard of as well lol, but you know just in case: i'll just reccomend a few artists cause the list of songs could just go on forever. :P 

Michael Nyman, Otep, Opeth, Shadows Fall, Muse, The Dresden Dolls, Sonic Youth, Mike Stern, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Mushroomhead (early stuff is good the rest is skipable), Claude Debussy, Mudvayne, Nevermore, Carlos Santana, Slayer, St.Germain, Thelenious Monk, Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, Judas Priest, etc. 

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karl_Boss

Art of Noise

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

How about Captain Beefheart or some old school Velvet Underground? Cptn. Beefheart especially, he had some strange music.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black moth super rainbow      
La patere rose 
I can't think of many right now

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By damodar

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

Justin Timberlake.  Hey, you asked for "different".  I like Justin Timberlake...as well as many of the bands that you listed.  In turn, I suggest Justin Timberlake.  Start with Justified, though.  It's got a good mix of beats, plus Timbaland's work on that album is really good (especially when you realize that the recorded beats to "Cry Me A River" are actually just Timbaland beat-boxing with his mouth!!!).  Future Sex / Love Sounds is a really great album as well, but you've got to be a little more open to an R&B feel to get into that.

Sektion9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sektion9

Pretty hard hitting. Different and futuristic.

Dom & Klute - Maximus [ genre: Drum n Bass ] 

On the opposite spectrum heres something chill and beautiful.

Commix - Japanese Electronics (Instra:mental Remix)  [ genre: ambient / trip hop ]

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Griddler

Check out Bon Iver.. I don't think they're majorly obscure but worth checking out 

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pibo47

I love these guys. Local to dallas, you mighta heard of them.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By JJOR64

All give this a shot.  Here is Dethklok:

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Griddler
@Meltbrain: Yeah I love their stuff.. Really chilled.
fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fishinwithguns

Sunn 0))  (verrry different).
Boris (Japanese band that's heavy as fuck)
The Melvins (you've probably already heard of them but Boris gets their name from a Melvins song...although they're quite different bands)

There is some overlap between Melvins and Tool, they actually did a song together I think.

The Black Keys

Arsis if you like metal.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Coltonio7

That Handsome Devil just put out a new EP, so here's a song from thatt.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By EVO

If you like Pink Floyd this will blow your mind:

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By crusader8463

It's funny as hell@jonnyboy: hahah those guys reminded me of this kick ass movie. The movie is funny as hell and should bewatched by everyone, even if you don't like metal music.

It's based off this anime. I couldnt get into it because the actual anime's animation is just so bad, but it has a kick ass intro and the live action is awesome.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crusader8463

I don't know if any of these are obscure but they are too me so i will post some of my favorite ones.

This one is my personal favorite find, because it was the first song that i literally just found at random while online that i loved once i heard.

Hope you like some of it as much as i do. I'm very picky in what music i listen to so this is just a few of the better ones i have.
OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Hella and Tera Melos are both really unique and obscure bands that toss together crazy rhythms and time signatures.  I also like the instrumental hip hop that artists like Flying Lotus and Onra make.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EdIsCool

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crusader8463

Also i found wrestling to have some great music sometimes that people overlook just because its lol wrestling! Don't just dismiss it because its a wrestlers intro music, there are a few that have some really good music to just sit down and listen to.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Hamst3r

Originality? Sorry, all out. We haven't had any of that for a while. :P

Here's some music you probably haven't heard before though: carepackageforjesus.zip (554 MB)

It's about 7 hours of music. A lot of it is electronic. Some of it is organic. All of it is unsigned and free to distribute though.
I used to do a podcast about obscure music called Submersible Hamster. Check it out if you're interested. If you do, I suggest going back to episode 1. You can find it on iTunes too.

:)

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mattzz10

You should definitely give The clarks a listen, they are a little known band out of pittsburgh that I think should get a little more popularity.  And they put on some absolutely amazing live shows.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RetroIce4

Band on Star Trak I love that went no where. Thanks  a lot Interscope: (I had to upload it because I couldn't find a video of it)

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mattzz10

Again, here are some more songs by the clarks, they are more of a mellow band, and they have a well-balanced sound.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Mrnitropb

Try picking up " Raising Sand", a project album by Robert Plant (perhaps you've heard of him?) and Allison Krauss. It won most of the Grammy's this year. I highly recommend the track "fortune Teller", which is pretty old, but sounds sooo good. 

If you're at all willing to give Americana a try, I cannot more highly recommend Lucinda Williams. Car Wheels on a Gravle Road, West, and World Without Tears are some of her best albums. Incredibly strong, emotional stuff covering a wide range. " fancy Funeral" will make you want to cry into a bourbon.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ieatlions

at the drive in . 

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By roofy

new stuff would be the new Destroyer album which is getting some crazy good reviews along with the new Empire of the Sun.

i've been really digging this instrumental ambient band called Godspeed You! Black Emporer and the albums called  
Yanqui U.X.O (2002).

skip to 1:30 when the music actually starts

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By marc

Give Donnie Dumphy a go! It's more comedic than anything, but very awesome.

http://donniedumphy.com/#videoPlayer

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JammyJesus

Giant Drag, class band.
JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JammyJesus
@jonnyboy said:
"Electric Eel Shock. Three Japanese guys that love Black Sabbath and getting naked on stage. Saw them live at the O2 when it was still the dome (The Snickers skate tour) They opened up for the Vandals and Cypress Hill, so I guess that's pretty obscure. Also saw "Mad Capsule Markets" at the same gig and numerous times afterwards, Japanese Techno meets metal, with the bassist doing all the solo work. I'll try to find some vids.....

EDIT: here you go, but I forgot to mention both bands totally speak 'Engrish'  Listen to Island till the end to get the full flavour, not their best song but my favorite.

"

Totaly missed this. 

NO, YOU BASTARD!  

They are class and so are mad caps.
munnyman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By munnyman5

This is called speedcore. It's a genre that will almost literally blow your brains out with its not-appreciated-by-anybody-but-munnyman5 qualities.

If you're going to try this shit out, don't give up on the song in at least the first minute, because some can start bad and get much better. If you haven't heard any hardcore techno before, this may sound like a wall of static, but if you have you may have learned how to appreciate the different layers in the tracks, from bass kicks to noisy-ass samples to the other strange stuff speedcore artists pepper their music with. 

This japanese artist is M1DY [after MIDI]; his speedcore is fun and silly and can be hella japanese. Here's a sample track:

If you think you might be more into the dark side, check out Komprex or the other artists from Europe. This stuff is pounding technological fucking EVIL most of the time because let's face it, anybody who spends their time making 200 to 400BPM music in their basement has to be a little messed up in the head. The sample track here is "Jump Yourself" by Komprex, and I like it because the song really starts when a severely distorted voice in the background screams [in what sounds like a whisper because of distortion] "JUMP MATHAFACKAAAAAAAA!!!" and it makes me think of this: Satan and Eminem had a lovechild and when he was about 5 they got him a lazy frog who he then got fuckin' PISSED at. 

So give that a shot... if you're fuckin' INSANE.