Recommend me some stories with epic use of subtext.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By iWonder

So I read Hills Like White Elephants a few weeks ago, and incorporated the idea of having an entire scene of almost nothing but dialogue between two (almost) faceless characters into a book I'm writing. It occured to me though that I've never seen this done anywhere else!

So! As the title says, recommend me some stories with epic use of subtext - whether dialogue-based or no.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

hmm... Nier uses subtext pretty impressively.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Aegon

Do you mean like..something's going on underneath what's really going on? Like you can feel tension building up?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

Each page is dripping with subtext.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Karl_Boss

Metroid Fusion?

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Questionable

I think you would find the triology of the rat series from Haruki Murakami quite inspiring.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iWonder

@Animasta said:

Does it? I never noticed. Though I guess that's probably the mark of good subtext, hahaha

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iWonder

@H2Oyea said:

Do you mean like..something's going on underneath what's really going on? Like you can feel tension building up?

Yes. Anything of that description. Not necessarily mystery books, but yeah, something that forces me to read inbetween the lines to a level that is not present in the average novel/novella/short story/etc, which is why I used the example of Hills Like White Elephants.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

@iWonder said:

@Animasta said:

Does it? I never noticed. Though I guess that's probably the mark of good subtext, hahaha

most of the text stuff (Kaine's story in particular), all the extended ending stuff pretty much revealed the very subtle subtext in the second half of the game

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aegon
@iWonder said:

@H2Oyea said:

Do you mean like..something's going on underneath what's really going on? Like you can feel tension building up?

Yes. Anything of that description. Not necessarily mystery books, but yeah, something that forces me to read inbetween the lines to a level that is not present in the average novel/novella/short story/etc, which is why I used the example of Hills Like White Elephants.

There's a specific part in Wise Man's Fear that was kind of amazing because of this very reason. So much tension....but it's the second book of a fantasy trilogy. I'm not sure how many more moments have that feel in the books, it's just that that specific one near the end stands out so much. I think it might be the best part of the books thus far. 
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

Macbeth - By Shakespeare

Great Play.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan

Farewell, My Lovely. I dunno.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By FengShuiGod

JR by William Gaddis is kinda similar to the example you give in that its 700-something page story is told almost entirely through dialogue, and it also functions as a general metaphor for contemporary capitalist society, what with its chaotic writing style and overwhelming amount of disconnections. Tons of subtext.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iWonder

@GunslingerPanda said:

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

Each page is dripping with subtext.

@Questionable said:

I think you would find the triology of the rat series from Haruki Murakami quite inspiring.

@Dagbiker said:

Macbeth - By Shakespeare

Great Play.

I've already read Macbeth (and you're right, it's great, especially for what I'm looking for), but the other two sound awesome, thanks.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

Metal Gear Solid 2?

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iWonder

@FengShuiGod said:

JR by William Gaddis is kinda similar to the example you give in that its 700-something page story is told almost entirely through dialogue, and it also functions as a general metaphor for contemporary capitalist society, what with its chaotic writing style and overwhelming amount of disconnections. Tons of subtext.

That sounds amazing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SSully

Read more of Hemingway's stuff. His whole philosophy on writing was to try to make his work like an iceberg, where more then 3/4's of the icebergs mass is beneath the surface. The Sun Also Rises would be a good start.

The Snow of Kilimjaro is also a good short story by Hemingway. http://xroads.virginia.edu/~drbr/heming.html The formatting in this link is horrible, I would personally copy and paste it and change the color and style, but it looks like that is the entity of the short story.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By phish09

Enders Game. Every third chapter or so is exactly what you're describing.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iWonder
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

@iWonder said:

@Jeust said:

Read the dreams from Lost Odyssey:

http://lostodyssey.wikia.com/wiki/A_Thousand_Years_of_Dreams/Dream_Trigger_Locations

They are awesome in use of subtext and in conveying emotion. There is even a published book containing all of the dreams in Japan.

I never thought about that. I played Lost Odyssey when it came out, and I wasnt very into reading at the time, so I skipped over most of the dream sequences.

You should give them a read.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bruce

@iWonder:

Unless your book calls for it, I wouldn't do it. It's never a good idea to create a literary text because you want to copy an idea you read elsewhere. It's arbitrary. So, like I said, unless your current plot calls for that level of subtext -- and dialogue with little attribution and description -- I'd leave it out.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iWonder

@Bruce said:

@iWonder:

Unless your book calls for it, I wouldn't do it. It's never a good idea to create a literary text because you want to copy an idea you read elsewhere. It's arbitrary. So, like I said, unless your current plot calls for that level of subtext -- and dialogue with little attribution and description -- I'd leave it out.

It does call for it.