Recommend Some Sci-Fi Anime

Yamashi112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yamashi112

I am into anime very much. Recently I watched a few Sci-Fi anime series and loved them. I found some via nihofun site.

My list which I have watched:

Revisions

Outlaw Star

Last Exile

RobiHachi

Any other references about this genre of anime? Thanks in advance. :-)

flatbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a big fan of anime myself, though maybe you should give Gurren Lagann a try?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

An obvious recommendation is Cowboy Bebop. Most of the stories don't really hinge tooooo heavily on the sci-fi setting, but it's about as good as anime gets in my experience.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bubblegum Crisis (the original, not 2040), Cowboy Bebop, maybe Evangelion?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cowboy Beebop: A most see classic, not only for sci fy, but anime in general.

Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex: Another classic, this one heavy influential in the cyberpunk vibe.

Evangelion: It turns more into a psichological thesis than a balls out action scify show, still recommended though.

Gurren Lagann: The exact opposite to Evangelion. This grows into an over the top action show as few others.

Megalo Box: Rocky + Robots.

Some of the dozens different Gundams are pretty good. Haven't seen them all, so I can't really tell.

SunSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SunSpark

Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and Akira are all considered classic Sci-Fi anime. I also highly recommend Trigun, although it's not immediately apparent that it takes place in space.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started watching and enjoying Psycho-Pass which is pretty much anime Minority Report

Don't know how well either has aged but Trigun was Western/Sci-Fi and Afro Samurai has some Sci-Fi elements as well. Plus the dubbed version of Afro Samurai has the voices of Samuel L Jackson and Ron Perlman so that's pretty cool.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

While it's a little hard to separate what's really sci-fi in anime, outside of what's already been mentioned I'd also recommend

Paprika, which is probably what I'd consider the most classically sci-fi of these recommendations

Steins;Gate

Psycho-Pass, basically a sci-fi police procedural

Serial Experiments Lain

FLCL, probably one of those that skirts the line of sci-fi but is just plain fun to watch

Shin Sekai Yori

Kaiba

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

Planetes - it's more grounded and an interesting look at problems humanity might face in space

RahXephon - has a cool time dilation spin and is very much like Evangelion

Gundam Thunderbolt - this Gundam series is different in that the episodes are shorter, there are way less of them, the animation is superb and it has an amazing jazz soundtrack.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MerxWorx01

I imagine some people aren't fans of it but I thought the BLAME! movie was pretty good. It has great visuals of the author's mega structures that you'd expect from the manga... Except in color.

The first season of "Darker Than Black". People start to develop unexplainable abilities and in the process somehow become unfeeling killers.

I'll also throw in "Ergo Proxy" since it seems to be several sci fi genres mixed together.

Also as a side note good on you for having Last Exile on your list. It is one of my favorite shows with a genuinely fantastic art style and a weird twist. I'd recommend it for most people especially for anyone into adventure shows or maybe even aviation enthusiast.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

• Cowboy Bebop: Everybody should watch Cowboy Bebop
  • Steins;Gate: More closer to a standard time travel story like Back to the Future, where the main focus is the aspects of time travelling, but the story is focused on scientists and the technology they create that lead to unexpected events
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: Y'all ever heard of Evangelion? Primarily focused on the mechs and weird shit, but in terms of sci-fi stuff, it has some of my favorite sci-fi jargon and world building.
Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I'm just gonna throw out some random stuff:

• Robot Carnival
  • Memories
  • Neo Tokyo
  • Alien Nine
  • Any Gundam (the original Gundam Movie Trilogy is a good place to start if you want to get into the mainline series).
  • Redline
  • Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
  • Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
  • Space Dandy
  • Irresponsible Captain Tylor
  • Knights of Sidonia
  • Expelled From Paradise
  • Space Battleship Yamato 2199
  • Martian Successor Nadesico
  • Time of Eve
  • Roujin Z
  • They Were Eleven
  • Interstella 5555

I could go on forever but I'll stop. Sci-fi is a huge genre in anime and there is an almost endless amount of stuff to watch if you want to really jump into the genre.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legends of Galactic Heroes is a great space opera. It does a good job of making characters on both sides of the conflict interesting and likeable. It's also a bit more hard sci-fi where they go through the logistics of maintaining a multi-planet empire and things like that. Also has a couple of moments where I cried like a baby.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

Psycho Pass is pretty great.

Serial Experiments Lain was uploaded to Youtube by Funimation, is only 12 episodes, and is fucking insane, so give that a shot.

Can I watch Planetes anywhere? That show always seemed kinda interesting in a mundane space blue collar kinda way.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By BoboBones

I’m not into Anime, but I just gave Steins;Gate, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a shot, and I highly recommend them both.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By monkeyking1969

I mostly like some of the older 80s and 90s OVAs or series.. I would certainly watch Space Battleship Yamato I (1974), II (1978), and III (1980). Certainly, next in teh lien up shoudl be Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Mospeada, Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross (just all of the original Robotech source material) and Knights of Sidonia woudl be worth watching. But, the following are just fun: Dirty Pair, Gunbuster (Aim for the Top!), Space Adventure Cobra, and Project A-KO. Everyone who thinking the might like anime shouls watch Project A-KO at least once...although, it is worth rewatching hundred of times...because it is just crazy. (Warning...no need to see Project A-KO #2-4)

patchryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love, Death & Robots

Loading Video...