Rest in Peace Patrice O'Neal

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

For those who don't know, he was a stand-up comic and a genuinely brilliant person. I think most of you will recognize him from The Office and bit parts in different shows and movies. I was a huge fan of his style of humor and handling of race in comedy. RIP to one of the realest comics to ever live.

Here's one of his rants from the Opie and Anthony show.

His presence in comedy is going to be sorely missed. The man could wring humor and empathy from any situation, and was truly a gifted talent. I'll always admire him for his ability to simplify the most complex of issues into the everyman's language without losing any of the intelligence behind it.

EDIT: He died of complications from a stroke he suffered a few weeks ago. He was diabetic.

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pkhilson

:(

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By weegieanawrench

Never heard of the guy, he does sound funny though. Rest in peace, duder.

homewrecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By homewrecker

No way! I was literally just watching some of his skits yesterday. He was a really funny guy and I'm definitely sad to see him go. What a bummer.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

Woah, what the fuck? That's shitty. 

I was going to watch a stand-up special of his last night, but ended up watching a bad Christopher Nolan movie instead. I didn't realize his diabetes condition was so bad. No wonder he made faces at the diabetes jokes during the Charlie Sheen roast.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Uh, did Amy Schumer make a joke about him dying when she was at the Charlie Sheen roast? Because that's the only thing I can think of, regarding this.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:

Uh, did Amy Schumer make a joke about him dying when she was at the Charlie Sheen roast? Because that's the only thing I can think of, regarding this.

She did as well as a bunch of other comics at that same roast. No one could have predicted this, it's just shitty timing.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By D0tti

This really shocked me, cause I was so fucking sure he would recover... I'm a daily listener too the O&A show and listened to the show the day they announced that he had the heart attack, kinda tough listening to Jim Norton and the other comedians/friends talk about Patrice.

Sad day for comedy IMO, he really was a funny guy, always made me laugh and think at the same time during he's rants, cause almost everything he would rant about sounded pretty logical.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

She did as well as a bunch of other comics at that same roast. No one could have predicted this, it's just shitty timing.

Or a curse. Has that been ruled out? HAS IT?

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Or a curse. Has that been ruled out? HAS IT?

YOU'RE A GOD DAMNED MADMAN!

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

This was the first thing I read about when I got home from work today. Real shitty and sad news to get. Patrice O'Neal was a very funny dude with an incredibly infectious laugh. RIP.

Loyal_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loyal_Dragoon

I saw this when i got up this afternoon. Thought i recognized the name, looked him up and realized who it was... RIP, duder.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By McGhee

Being a stand up comic is a hard life and being super fat makes it even worse. Get in shape, kids.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Darn, that sucks :(

I only remember him from this clip, but it's a pretty great clip.

tbrian32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tbrian32

Sorry to hear that. Just watched him on rerun of Roast of Charlie Sheen. He was a very funny man

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Farewell! Godspeed!

Though I knew thee not...

Cause of death :

"Stand-up comic Patrice O’Neal’s death Tuesday at age 41 from complications of a stroke he suffered in October highlights just how relatively common strokes are -- and how dangerous.

O’Neal was reported to have died from complications from the stroke, though it’s not clear what they were. In general, such complications can take many forms, Kennedy said. If a patient is bedridden, they’re more likely to develop infections, including potentially fatal ones. Often, he added, strokes lead to difficulty swallowing – and if contents go down the wrong pipe, they can lead to a life-threatening form of pneumonia called aspiration pneumonia. Scarring in the brain tissue caused by the stroke can also be a trigger for seizures."

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-patrice-oneal-stroke-death-diabetes-20111129,0,2027874.story