Riga (Latvia), Tallinn (Estonia), and Copenhagen (Denmark)

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Hey guys. In just over a month I'll be spending a few days in the three mentioned cities and I was hoping some GB users might have some good ideas for stuff I should check out. Nerdy stuff is good but also just touristy stuff in general. Any recommendations would be great!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 38

@seanbooker: Moving this to off-topic. Please try to keep all threads in their relevant forums. Thanks!

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can't say anything about Copenhagen and haven't been to Riga enough times to tell you about it either, but the most touristy ass thing you can do in Tallinn is checking out the old city. Churches, weird stores and all kinds of nooks and crannies really... There's also a well known marine museum (Meremuuseum) and an art museum (Kumu) if you are into those kinds of things. Don't know about anything nerdy really... there are stores that have video games, tabletop things and board games but they aren't all that common. Sadly no arcades that I'm aware about either.

dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Well I am Latvian and live near Riga. Can try to help out with visiting our capital. How long will you be there?

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: This is good information, thanks!

@dantey: I'll be in Riga for about 3 days. Show up on the 7th and leave on the 11th.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By robbparris

The Church of Our Savior in Copenhagen is kinda cool, mainly for the fact you can go to the top (90 meters, 500 steps!) and the view is breathtaking.

The Experimentarium in Copenhagen is also fun, it's supposed to be "for kids" but we had fun in there! Lots of cool sciencey things.

Overall, I LOVED Copenhagen, the people are amazing, take the boat tour as well to see some of the cool architecture. Pre-warning, the alcohol is kinda expensive, but food and other stuff is pretty reasonable.

dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By dantey

I cannot think of anything really nerdy to do in Riga, but make sure to walk in the old part of the town. It is beautiful. I can, however, give you some food and drink recommendations.

If you want to eat something Latvian, then visit a place called Lido. It is a chain of restaurants in Latvia that serves traditional Latvian food and there a few in the center of Riga. If you want to try the best burger money can by in Riga, you should visit Street Burger. It will cost you about 8 EUR for a burger, drink and fries and the burger is just good....just so good. I also recommend a kebab joint Pakistan Kebab. It is a bit hard to find, but it is near the central train station and they sell, what I think, are the best kebabs in the city.

For drinks you should go to a folk club "Ala" or Cave in English. They have the best selection of beer in the country and you can get there some of the more hard to find beers. If you want try something interesting tasting, ask for honey beer, hemp beer or cranberry beer. If you want something more traditional, ask for Brenguļu Beer or Valmiermuižas Beer. Those are some of the best beers I have tasted and both have a dark and light version (Brenguļu dark is a God's gift to us, puny mortals). Just make sure to visit it early in the evening, it can get very crowded. And there are plenty of regular ass nightclubs to be found, if you want to go that rout.

If you want, I can meet you in Riga and show you some of the places I talked about.

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By seanbooker

@dantey: I'll see what the others are into. Great suggestions! Thanks.

@robbparris: Noted. Thanks!