Ripping songs from your ipod to your computer

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By gla55jAw

my sister has been updating her ipod at her friends house for some reason and now wants me to set it up on my computer for her since she doesnt have her own computer. all the programs i find charge money. does anyone know any programs that do this, that are free?

henjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By henjin

Nope, as I don't own and ipod. I also find it stupid that ipods just don't act as mass storage devices.

infect999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By infect999

you need a program to do this?

I don't have an iPod so I don't know for sure, but I figured all you'd have to do is plug in the iPod, go into My Computer, find the iPod, then copy n paste.

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By efrucht
*whistles*
*whistles*
No need.

1) Control panel--> Folder Option--> View--> Enable Hidden folders to be seen
2) Go to the ipod_control folder on your ipod, inside it you'll find a folder called Music. Move that to your desktop.
3) Right click on Music on your desktop, go to properties, and set it to be not-hidden. Bam, there is your music.
4) In itunes go to "add folder" and add the Music Folder to your library.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gla55jAw
infect999 said:
"you need a program to do this?

I don't have an iPod so I don't know for sure, but I figured all you'd have to do is plug in the iPod, go into My Computer, find the iPod, then copy n paste."

no apple is an asshole and wont let you do this, you actually have to find some software to do it and all the software im finding wants me to pay like $30, i might just tell my sister to have her friend burn some cds or a dvd or use a flash drive to give me the music.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gla55jAw
efrucht said:
"No need.

2) Go to the ipod_control folder on your ipod, inside it you'll find a folder called Music. Move that to your desktop.
3) Right click on Music on your desktop, go to properties, and turn off hidden folders. Bam, there is your music.
"

i shall try this
henjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By henjin
efrucht said:
"No need.

3) Right click on Music on your desktop, go to properties, and turn off hidden folders. Bam, there is your music.
"
Ah, HA! So it does work like one.
infect999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By infect999
gla55jAw said:
"infect999 said:
"you need a program to do this?

I don't have an iPod so I don't know for sure, but I figured all you'd have to do is plug in the iPod, go into My Computer, find the iPod, then copy n paste."

no apple is an asshole and wont let you do this, you actually have to find some software to do it and all the software im finding wants me to pay like $30, i might just tell my sister to have her friend burn some cds or a dvd or use a flash drive to give me the music."

Mac ftl. Tell your sister to get a Creative Zen.
Canadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Canadian
efrucht said:
"No need.

3) Right click on Music on your desktop, go to properties, and set it to be not-hidden. Bam, there is your music.
4) In itunes go to "add folder" and add the Music Folder to your library.
"
This works. I used it to get some movies from my friends iPod. Completely legal in Canada too. :D
efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By efrucht

All this iPod hate, but I have really been enjoying mine! So what if it doesn't have a radio!

Avatar image for deactivated-63aed1f3cc082
deactivated-63aed1f3cc082

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes, you can absolutely pull your songs off your iPod yourself without a special program.  I don't know if it's changed since my iPod (20gig, photo) but you need to set it as a mass storage device, so that way your computer picks it up as such.  Then make sure you have your folder setting set up to view hidden folders.

You should see a folder that's essentially iPod_Control and then within it is in Music.  Now this Music folder is all "Garbage" information.  It's set up to only be readable by iTunes or iPod.  Copy the entire Music over to your harddrive.  Be ready to have a shit ton of music added to your harddrive and added to iTunes.  Dupes might ensue, etc.  It can be a pain in the ass.  I had to deal with this when my harddrive failed and trasnferred everything over.

Now, once you get it over, go into iTunes.  Make sure that in your settings that you have "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" checked.  I think it's under Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General and then it's there or something like that.  Then go ahead and go to File and then Add folder to Library.  This will then translate that entire folder into iTunes readable stuff.  Then make sure everything is clean, as in if it moved it into a new folder, etc., make sure you clean out the old folder to save some space.  Then you should be set.

But, iPods could be different now than mine, so this could be all bull shit today.  But, it helped when my harddrive failed.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By whackmypinata

Thanks for the info.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gla55jAw

yeah thanks ill let you know if it all went well when im back on here tomorrow night

Avatar image for deactivated-6431b339e73ec
deactivated-6431b339e73ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest version of winamp has some features that allow for mp3 transfer off ipods, even newer versions like the touch. Might be an option.