Rude encounters

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I don't have many bug bears but rude people just get on my tits.

So today I was walking home from work. Minding my business, listening to a podcast. Two women approach me jogging along the pavement (sidewalk?). There is just about room for two side by side where I am walking. They see me, I see them. I position myself as far left as I can without stepping into mud (its been raining a lot lately, and I couldn't go right or I would be on a busy road). The woman, still approaching, see me move to the left but just keep coming. I cant move any further left, I refuse to step in mud. All one of them needs to do is slow down and go single file for a split second to avoid collision. Do they? Do they bollocks. Cant interrupt their important conversation. Now that's just rude in my opinion.

Seeing this about to happen I tense up knowing that If i do so she will take the full force of her pace when she clips me, yet she still tuts as she is knocked back a step or two. FROM RUNNING IN TO ME!

I made all the effort to avoid the collision short of walking into the road or stepping in mud she did nothing. Like seriously some people just wind me up. Anyway, rant over. Did I do the right thing, should I have just stood in mud to avoid a collision?

What is the rudest thing anyone has done to you?

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

The pavement hogs of London really bust my swede sometimes. I have take to the stop walking trick - I think in my head it works like basketball, if I'm not moving it's their fault. Posh mummies with pushchairs seem to be among the worst offenders for not breaking the three abreast stroll. I think you in the right there - when me and my partner go out for a run, we will always break into single file as invariably we're the ones traveling at the speed out of sync to everyone else.

I once had a platform attendant howl 'leave me alone', spin on their heels and walk away tutting and waving their hands when I asked if the train at the platform was stopped at a specific station. The notice boards we off and I was as polite as a could be - might be one of the most extreme reactions I've had at me. Oh, and students who ask if the class is going to finish early before it's even started - they used to really get me off on the wrong foot.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I had a prof at the technical college I went to be so unexpectedly rude to me on the first day that I withdrew from the class immediately.

The class was just typical first day stuff, where she's giving everyone an overview of what we're going to do throughout the quarter. She came across like a real friendly sort; a very bubbly, positive personality. She had finished telling us about what our final was going to be, and asked us to to sign up for what time slot we want to present our final in. A few seconds pass and no one volunteers to go first, so I figure, what the hell. I go to say something and someone else volunteers ahead of me. I then pipe up and say I'll go second. No one else speaks up, so after several seconds of silence she decides she's going to determine the order by pulling names out of a hat.

Everyone is told to write their name on a piece of paper, and then she goes around the room to collect them. I don't do anything, as I already volunteered. She reaches my table and looks expectantly at me, and I say, "I'm going second, remember?" The smile vanishes from her face, and she leans in close and hisses (yes hisses, I can't think of a more accurate word for what sound she was making)

"I don't like your voice. I don't like your attitude. I don't like your face." I was briefly shocked, and just said, "What?", but then regained my composure and told her that was really unprofessional (if I had been a few years younger, I would have assuredly responded to her shittiness in kind). She said she didn't care, turned on the smile and moved on. I went straight to the administrative building, got into another class with a different prof, and filed a complaint.

Oh, and what class was it? Just some general requirement I needed to finish my Associate:

Interpersonal Communication.

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I was once eating out for lunch by myself. Mid-bite, I feel a tap on my shoulder. It turns out it's some random old woman who stopped my meal to let me know she thought my car was ugly.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@squadaloo:

“Excuse me young man, but your car is offensive to my senses. Have a nice day.”

I don’t know why but I find that so humorous

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmoyer83: Well, it started with "Was that the last one on the lot?" and when I said I picked it (it was green), she pivoted to "Oh, well it certainly is interesting" in a way that was clearly fake nice.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Acura_Max

Yeah people can really rude especially when they know that you're never going to meet them again. It often reminds me that people have the capacity to be bad even before the internet shown a light on it. You just can't let them get to you or it will drive you insane.

I was waiting for a train one time and was minding my own business sitting on a bench with some people. Some guy comes in with his friend. He forces everyone on the bench to get off so he could have the whole thing to himself, which was absurd since the bench could seat 6 people. He then goes into a rant about how he hates homosexual men and would kill them for $1. Naturally, he used the F word. And then he started ranting about how he was going to kill all the white people on the station stop. He spat on a random white person who was passing by. Then he saw how mad I was and made a gesture indicating that he wanted to slit my throat before continuing his rant.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easily my one (and hopefully only) trip to Boston. I was on a trip to look at schools and had an appointment to visit Northeastern. The directions give me the street address and said that it is easily accessible from the subway, so I head to the station and start looking for a map. This is what they have:

No Caption Provided

While I'm sure that a map with no street names and very few stops listed is fine for locals, I'm from out of town, and there is no obvious stop listed for Northeastern. This is pre-cell phone GPS/Google, so I politely go ask someone if they could please direct me to which line and stop I should take to get to Northeastern. The response?

"Get the fuck outtah here, you fuckin' outah townah!"

I always thought the phrase "Masshole" was a joke, but it actually ended up being pretty accurate to my entire Boston experience. I will never go back.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The sidewalk has an imaginary line down the middle. It can usually be ignored, but if there isn’t enough space, two parties passing one another should stick to their half.

People that don’t do this do come across as self important assholes.

For whatever reason, in my experience, it’s usually two women walking or jogging at lunch, that don’t dare go single file. If I hold my ground, I’m usually rewarded with a dirty look. If I step aside being overly-polite, I’m usually ignored (would a knowing nod hurt you?).

Between those options, I’ll take the dirty look most of the time...