Samsung Galaxy S4 or Samsung Galaxy Note 3? Which should I upgrade to?

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Samsung Galaxy S4 or Samsung Galaxy Note 3? Which should I upgrade to? (56 votes)

S4 68%
Note 3 32%

What would you guys recommend? Right now I have an iPhone 4, but I'm getting a free upgrade to a 4G phone because my 3G is absolute garbage even after they tried to fix it for me. They said if it's still broken I would be able to get a new phone.

I want one of those 2 phones, which one would you recommend? I don't mind the Note 3 being big.

• 
MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MegaLombax

The new Nexus 5 isn't an option? But in terms of hardware, I think the Note 3 is the superior one.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

If it's an option, HTC One or Nexus 5. I have an S3 and Samsung don't make devices which feel nice, IMO.

If it's just between those two phones check them out in person and fiddle around with each for 5 minutes or so. Try putting the Note in your pocket to see whether or not it's too big, things like that. I've ended up falling out of love with my S3 because the damned thing is shaped like a bar of soap and keeps falling out of my hands onto my face when I watch YouTube on it in bed. Those are the kind of things which only first hand experience with the device can get you, and the store clerk will accommodate a couple of demos for a $800-$1000 contract sale.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

The Nexus 5 is the best value Android phone, it's as good as the S4 spec-wise but a hell of a lot cheaper. I've had a Nexus 4 since December and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@krullban The Note 3 is pretty big. Just make sure it fits your pockets and feels good in your hand. I think the S4 is very nice, and I've loved my S2 for the last two years. I like the Galaxy S line, and it should do everything you need in a smartphone.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither because fuck touch wiz. N5 or go home.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any current gen model is better than the iPhone. Overpriced garbage.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've used both the S4 and the Note 3 and I prefer the S4. They are both literally almost the same, except the Note 3 is bigger and has a stylus pen. The stylus pen, contrary to what you may think, you will not end up using. I used it when I first got it for a bit and then stopped using it after a few weeks - then lost it. Both are filled with Samsung's bloatware if that bothers you, if not it doesn't matter. It's important to note that the S4, has a HUGE chunk of it's internal storage occupied by random Samsung crap - I don't know if they've fixed that or not but I remember reading the 16GB version only had about 8GBs available.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Note 3 has better performance in all aspects than the S4, but the experience will be rather similar in reality. However, I would suggest you look at other options like the Nexus 5. It'll cost you a lot less and the experience will be better because you'll get updates as Google release them.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get the Nexus 5 ... awesome phone.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

dont get a note man, i got one thinking it would be awesome but its way too big, im stuck with it for another 6 months and the end of my contact cant come soon enough. The note is good if you dont have/dont plan on getting a tablet but other than that the S4 is a better size with a nicer screen.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeYcH

Ideally you want the Nexus 5.
That or the HTC One, or the Xperia Z1.

If you have to get either the S4 or the Note 3 then it's really just your preference.
If you think that you don't need the size of the Note 3 then don't get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

HTC One is another phone worth considering, it's a beast in pretty much every area.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Krullban

Hmm. I guess I will look into the HTC One and the Nexus 5 too when I'm there.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Note 3. Then put an AOSP rom on it.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have sold phones for over 11 years. I guess you could call me an expert. The Note 3 for me is too big. Unless the stylus control is something that you want to have I would go with the Galaxy 4. Im using one now and its one of the best phones I have used. I like the size, easy to use in one hand and still big enough to enjoy videos and games. Great signal reception, much better than the Galaxy 3. Great Battery life, its got a huge battery.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have the Note 3 and I really like it. Honestly I wouldn't mind it being a bit bigger, another half inch or so would be fine for me. It is too big to use easily with one hand though, so if that's important for your use than keep that in mind.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I would go S4. I think the Note 3 is ridiculous because of how goddamn huge it is, and everyone I've seen using one just looks silly. If size isn't an issue though then I guess go for it.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By leftie68

The Note 3 is an awesome phone. The voice quality is outstanding, the battery life is unbelievable, and it zippy. As far as size goes, unless you wear skinny jeans, there is no way this phone won't fit in your pocket comfortably. It is also very light for it's size, and you don't need big hands to operate (However as tread311 put it, it is a bit weird handling it with only one hand even with the one hand mode activated). It does look a big and akward when held up to the ear, however, if you can overlook that one fact, there is no phone out on the Android platform that can beat this phone in terms of specs and battery life. In terms of the HTC One and S4, I just can't recommend spending over $500 on 6 month old tech. Sorry, you may not notice the spec difference now, but in a year you definitely will.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By BaconHound

@leftie68 said:

In terms of the HTC One and S4, I just can't recommend spending over $500 on 6 month old tech. Sorry, you may not notice the spec difference now, but in a year you definitely will.

This was a big part of my recent decision to pick up an LG G2 - it's a much newer phone with a really nice screen and an amazing battery. As an added bonus, I didn't have to deal with Samsung's Touchwiz garbage. That part is a matter of personal preference though, I suppose.

In any case, the G2 is certainly worth a look...

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got an s4 mini and its dope as fuck so I would go for an s4

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colourful_hippie

@korwin said:

Neither because fuck touch wiz. N5 or go home.

As an owner of an HTC One (which probably has the best manufacturer custom UI, fuck Samsung's bullshit) I would endorse picking up a Nexus 5 mainly because of the newer hardware at a crazy cheap price. I love my HTC One but if I was getting a new phone I would want the latest internals, HTC One is capable of running Android with very little hiccups that tend to be common for nearly all Android phones but now with the Nexus 5 out there and at that price, it's kind of a hard to deal to pass up unless you're going to wait for the follow up to the HTC One.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nexus 5 all the way man. that thing is great.

That being said, everybody who is agaisnt touchwiz (with good reason) It's looking like Kit Kat will be coming through the play store or something now and available way faster than usual for non nexus devices...

Still though, Nexus.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck Touchwiz.... buy the Nexus 5

Thedrbrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5s because it's faster than all the fandroid garbage.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Fuck Touchwiz.... buy the Nexus 5

Fuck the thing that, you don't have to use! So many interface options to choose from and stock Touchwiz is fine it isn't great but it is totally useable and works.

I love my Note 2 the Note 3 seemed like it almost might be To big but I love mine enough to say it is cool to have what amounts to a fucking tablet with you at all times.

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nexus 5

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nexus 5 or bust. If you aren't getting a Nexus you might as well stick with iOS and get a 5S because that will be a better user experience than having to deal with Touchwiz and all the garbage associated with it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Snail

Neither. Please don't get a Galaxy phone. Don't be part of the problem.

Get an iPhone 5S, a Windows Phone Nokia Lumia 1020, a Nexus 5, an HTC One, an Xperia Z, anything, just, for the good of the industry, stop feeding the Galaxy illness.

Thank you.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

Neither. Please don't get a Galaxy phone. Don't be part of the problem.

Get an iPhone 5S, a Windows Phone Nokia Lumia 1020, a Nexus 5, an HTC One, an Xperia Z, anything, just, for the good of the industry, stop feeding the Galaxy illness.

Thank you.

Gonna have to elaborate.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@krullban: So, I'ma leave this strange GS5 preview I saw here, and word is that its coming out in January. CES is also in January. I call cahoots. So, I'd say that you should wait until January, or get like a Galaxy F, which I don't even know if its in the US yet.

I'm waiting around until January for a 5.2 inch Nokia WP8.1 on T-Mobile. But I believe that you should get whatever you want, rather than just what people tell you to believe.

Oh, and Tizen 3.0 is supposed to be revealed this week. So there's that.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5s because it's faster than all the fandroid garbage.

lol Apple people are so funny! hey somewhere there is a line forming for the iphone 6, better hurry.