Scary movies that are actually scary? (4+ Year Old Topic)

• 169 results
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By ShaggE
@crusader8463 said:
The only movie that truly scared me was the exorcist, and it was because of two scenes. Kind of spoilery if you know to look for these, so don't read if you have not watched it yet:

I noticed that first thing on my second viewing and nearly shat bricks. There's another occurrence of it later on, too. 
CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By CarpetRemnant
@BoogieWithStu: If you haven't watched PA2 I would advise it, it's more of the same but ramps it up in a couple of ways and is just as effective. Also if you haven't seen it watch the blair witch project.

@Pie: Do you know what horror film isn't scary? The Mothman Prophecies.
Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Xdsk
@BoogieWithStu said:
@Xdsk: Thanks for the suggestion, but next time don't tell me how the movie begins and ends before I watch it lol. I'll still check it out though. 
Sorry man the spoiler tags didnt take. My bad.
Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Teoball

I really like a thai movie called Shutter. Keep away from the american one!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By Pie
@Leakster: You know what else isn't scary? The Descent.
Don't badmouth mothman. He'll come and tell you things
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By crusader8463
@ShaggE: What scared me about it, was that I had watched a few documentaries on the movie before I seen it about all this weird stuff that happened on set, and how they thought the set was haunted and that the devil did things to the actors. So when I saw it the first thing that popped into my mind for a split second was "HOLY FUCK ITS CURSED! THE GOD DAM MOVIES CURSED AND ANYONE WHO WATCHES IT WILL BE CURSED BY THE DEVIL! OH FUCKING CHRIST WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO! I'M GOING TO HELL! SAVE ME JESUS!"
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By Romination

Let me think....

Carpenter's remake of The Thing is a classic. It's such a paranoia play that afterwards you can feel yourself going "...is that REALLY MY MOTHER!?"

Cronenberg's version of The Fly was pretty frightening, too, but more in a gross and awesome way.

The American version of The Ring was also frightening to me.
CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CarpetRemnant
@Pie: The Descent is terrifying, actually.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Strangers is one of the more unnerving horror films of the last decade. It does have some jump scares to be sure, but it's also one of the most intense moviegoing experiences I've ever had. Insidious, a very recent one, was also great. It's a haunted house movie with some obligatory jump scares but man is the first three quarters of it scary.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Grissefar

The Shining sure scared the crap out of me. No amount of blood or creepiness scares me but cheap jumpscares or the fright thereof does. And I hate changing faces. I HATE them. Such as the one in Devil's Advocate.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Karl_Boss

The Thing and The Haunting (1963) scared me pretty good.

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jaycee13

I think "Begotten" is quite a disturbing film. It's shot in a really grainy black and white and the score is just the sound of crickets. It doesn't explain the story in the film, mind so you will have to look it up. Also there is a quite disturbing/mindfuck film called "The Holy Mountain" If you are of christian faith I wouldn't recommend it as it has alot of sacraligious imagery. Some more conventional film I could recommend are "Jacob's Ladder", The movie adaptation of Silent Hill (Not that good a film but has a great atmosphere and sense of dread). There is a film called "The Poughkeepsie Tapes" that I have heard good things about also.

Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Xdsk

Another good creature horror was Splinter, no spoilers this time. Event Horizon comes to mind as cheesy but good horror (think dead space, in fact i think dead space took some cues from it or vice versa)

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By galacticgravy
@Xdsk: No problem man. 
galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By galacticgravy
@Grissefar: The part in The Shining, at the end, when you see that weird ass dude in a dog suit...

THAT, my friends, is the definition of "unnerving."

No joke that shit has freaked me out ever since I saw it and that was over 10 years ago. 
Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

The real answer to the question "What movies are really scary movies" lies within each person.  The first question you really need to ask is "What am I afraid of", and then find a movie built around that.  Aliens, for example, is a particular horrific take on rape.  If you're not particularly afraid of being physically violated like that, then you're not going to find it too scary (campy special effects aside).

Maybe you might try Hitchcock; I don't know him personally, but I've heard he was something of a master of horror (making you genuinely afraid).

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By galacticgravy

HOW ABOUT THE GRIFTER I HEARD IT WAS GOOD

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By EVO

Let's Go To Prison.

Yes, the comedy starring Will Arnett. There was just something about the way it took prison rape and violence so lighty, that made me feel uneasy.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ArcLyte

Insidious is quite a scary film. also, [REC], The Others, The Blair Witch Project (if you haven't seen it before), Event Horizon, The Devil's Backbone, The Orphanage, and if aliens freak you out, Incident at Lake County is real fucked up if you can find it.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By WickedFather

The only things that scare me in films are when somebody is trapped or hiding and the 'thing' is coming for them.  Saturn 3 scared me, you'll know why.  Wolf Creek I wouldn't say is scary but it's rancid.  It did leave me feeling bad and it's the first film in a long time to do that.  The House By the Cemetary also made me feel bad because it turns out that people you think were safe (can't say why without spoiling it) weren't safe.  Slasher films even though I watch them are just stupid fun.  I prefer spooky stuff.  I suppose The Fog also works because it was corraling people in, trapping them in houses and clawing at the door.

So yeah, films where "They're coming to get you!"  I used to have nightmare a lot where I'd have a gun and I'd pull the trigger and it just wouldn't fire, it was so hard to get it to go that last millimetre.  I think this was caused by a plastic disk gun I had that was far too old for me, had a really strong spring and it was a bad casting so the trigger didn't run straight.  I took all the skin off my finger trying to fire it.  Bastard gun.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By DAFTPUNK
@BoogieWithStu: your sarcasm is pathetic
I like the descent some people don't it's their opinion.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By Gabriel

The only movie that really scared me is The Ring.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By eristocrat

The only film that has ever actually scared me is Jesus Camp. 

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@BoogieWithStu said:
I googled this issue, and I came up with lists that had "Nightmare on Elm Street" and "The Descent" on them. Are you kidding me? 
Now, I'm not saying that those kinds of movies are bad. I just don't find them scary. I don't want something that uses "pop-outs" or popular shock stuff like "Saw."  

My mother and father always said that, in their time, movies like "The Exorcist" actually scared them. My mother slept with the lights on for weeks. I didn't have that sort of reaction to it, but I did find "The Exorcist" more frightening than most other scary movies. 

So does anyone have any scary movies that are actually scary? I mean, even something unnerving would be good. Maybe there are some indie films? I can imagine some of the indie shock stuff could be good. 

I want something I'll think about the night after. I want a reason to check my closet at night.   
First you gotta believe in JEEEbus. And then you can find
something to be scared of.  If you don't, then you probably
don't believe in the supernatural & scary shit just don't
matter.

To me, taking a stroll down in the ghetto of the man city
streets in the middle of the night, alone, packing cash
& walking, would make me want to shit my pants!
galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By galacticgravy
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
To me, taking a stroll down in the ghetto of the man citystreets in the middle of the night, alone, packing cash & walking, would make me want to shit my pants!

I am, in fact, afraid of this. And space aliens. 
Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending of [REC] freaked me out.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Sarkhan

Nosferatu. That movie is still very scary, at least for me. The chilling atmosphere without voice, the dark black and white.
Love it! But scary^^

Cannibal Holocaust. That movie haunts me to this day. For most ppl it's more of a shock/gore movie, but i just found it scary in general.

Poltergeist and The Excorsist. Think they speak for themself :)

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Commando

The Thing was scary, but everyone's seen it by now.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#79  Edited By Jeust
  • Event Horizon
  • Rec
  • The Orphanage
  • Fragile
  • the original Nightmare on Elmstreet
  • Brainscan
  • The Grudge
  • The Ring
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#80  Edited By golguin
@rudeboy217 said:
REC and REC 2 are pretty frightening.
Also I remember some freaky shit going on in Jacob's Ladder. Watch that too.
REC was the only movie since I was a kid to make me cover my eyes at the screen. REC and REC2 are pretty good as long as they are watched with lights off.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I've always thought the original Halloween was terrifying. And not the sequels or the shitty Rob Zombie remakes. 

Michael Myers was scary in the original Halloween because he was actually pure evil, not just some freak who didn't get enough love as a child.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By cookiemonster

The harry potter series has always scared me, especially the one with the dude with the face on the back of his head.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@Tarsier said:
synecdoche new york, never let me go.
Synecdoche, New York is a great movie.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Three0neFive

the grifter

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By galacticgravy

I'd also like to add one more movie to my list of shit I'm actually scared of...

Labyrinth.

That's right. With David Bowie. I am actually afraid of 90% of the puppets used there. To this day I can barely sit through it. I know it's not an actual scary movie but...jesus...those goblins are insane. 
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By SSully
@JoshyLee said:
The Mist and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978).

Bahaha the mist?! That movie was horrible.

I found Paranormal Activity to be really creepy the first time I saw it. I think demonic possession is scary as fuck.
'The Thing' is pretty good as well.

Also 'Let The Right One In' or the American version 'Let Me In' is a very good scary flick. It is less scary then it is creepy, but still a great movie. 
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By EvilTwin

Like others here, found footage movies generally scare me the most.  One thing I will add, though, is Signs.  Say what you will about M. Night, but that movie freaks me the fuck out. 

Especially this scene which you should not watch if you haven't seen the movie:

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@OneKillWonder said:
The Descent is probably the only horror movie to ever actually get a real reaction out of me. On top of the tons of admittedly-effective jump-scares, the claustrophobic atmosphere and sense of dread throughout the movie is what really does it for me. Don't know what to tell you if you don't find it "scary". I love horror movies but I wouldn't consider any of them to be "scary", nor do I ever expect any to be. However, there are a number of horror films that I would consider to be disturbing, but  "disturbing" and "scary" are two different things entirely.
All this movie made me want to do is have a hot, sexy
Asian woman as my mistress!  Being married didn't seem
to matter as long as she gets what she needs on the side,
being a best friend to the wife & all.  Kind of like pulling a
Schwarzeneggar, but doing it with class!
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By BigLemon
@BoogieWithStu said:
@BigLemon said:
Troll 2
On that note, have you heard of "Best Worst Movie"? It's a doc about Troll 2. I remember watching Troll 2 on HBO when I was a kid. It was on Saturday mornings at like 7AM when nobody other than a stupid kid would be up. I can't wait to watch the doc, as I have fond memories of this movie. No more popcorn!
Yeah, it's actually a pretty great documentary. I got it on Netflix a few months back. Focuses a lot on the cult following the movie has cultivated.
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Mighty

I went to Red State. It was scary shit.

I love Kevin Smith though.
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Burzmali

I'll second Splinter as a decent scary movie. Also, sort of the same type of scary is The Midnight Meat Train. It has some fairly well-known actors in it, even: Vinny Jones, Bradley Cooper, and Leslie Bibb. For just disturbing and freaky, go with 3 Extremes. It's a Japanese movie that's 3 short stories. The first one is more disturbing than anything else, but the second two are a bit scarier. I haven't personally scene either of these, but a buddy of mine said The Martyrs and The Girl Next Door (not the Elisha Cuthbert one) are scary as shit. The Girl Next Door is even based on a true story.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#92  Edited By FesteringNeon
@Vonocourt said:

House of the Devil

I was really impressed at the attention to detail the actors / set / film had been carried out in this film. It was a great build up, and nothing seemed overly cheezy...

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BombKareshi
The Children.

Of the scary movies I've seen, this is the only one I couldn't sit through.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By NTM

I used to get scared of a lot of movies, now though, I can't find one that actually scares me. I guess I just got over them, and it's almost kind of a sad thing (in a sense). The only thing that manages to scare me now is my own imagination. I guess, if a movie has a ghostly figure or a slasher-like character that looks grim, and it gets to my imagination, I could scare myself, and in that sense, a movie succeeds, but not the movie on its own. Like, it's pretty scary having my window cracked (right now), and imagining an Alma like character walk by quickly for me to only catch a glimpse enough to know what I saw.
JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By JasonLeeson

Creepy Asian chicks!

Avatar image for majesticoverlord
MajesticOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MajesticOverlord

The only movie that left an impression on me was "The Ring"... I know it's laughable but the whole idea of someone crawling out of my tv really got to me.... 

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Amnesia comes to mind immediately. That water scene is batshit crazy. 

EDIT: Haha. I wrote about a game in your movie thread. Whoops. 
WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#98  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

The Nightmare on Elm Street's arent really that scary.

I haven't seen any good horror films for a good while. Paranormal Activity really wasn't scary, it was pretty rubbish.

I used to get  scared really easily when I was younger and couldn't watch that many horror films. Blade 3 scared me when I was like 11 :P

Nowadays, I can't seem to find anything scary.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By joshy9411

i recently saw 'insidious' and was genuinely scared. and im the type who laughs at most horror movies. this was the first time i felt really scared in a movie. i may have shat a little.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By teh_destroyer

Paranormal Activity and The Orphanage are worth a look.