Seeking recommendations on VPNs (preferably free)

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

I'm currently in China due to both business and personal reasons, and have been using ProXPN to circumvent the Great Firewall to access sites (Giantbomb included, albeit only occasionally) that are blocked by the country. Since three days ago, I have been unable to to connect to the ProXPN network and access their website. After confirming with a friend in Canada that their site and service are both functional, I suspect the network might be blocked by the Great Firewall. I'm going to be in China for at least 2 more months so I would like to have a working VPN if possible.

So, duders, what quality VPNs have you used and/or are currently using?

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TyCobb

If you need to connect to a VPN to access this site and your service supposedly isn't working, how are you accessing this site right now?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Franstone

The Great Firewall of China?

hah...

I've only used Checkpoint VPN in a business environment.

I have a friend that used LogMeIn, dunno what it takes to set it up though, never tried.

Looked up free VPN software on Google, first link I clicked on had a top 10 and LogMeIn was #1.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@TyCobb said:

If you need to connect to a VPN to access this site and your service supposedly isn't working, how are you accessing this site right now?

I usually have trouble access Giantbomb during peak usage hours (in China) and weekends where connection to oversea websites slow to a crawl. Using the VPN alleviates it, somewhat. I'm at work right now and the internet at the office is decent enough for me to browse the forums.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ikilledthedj

Unblockus has a free 7 day trial

Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Phyrlord

Honestly, you would benefit from a paid service. Most paid VPNS are only 5-8$ monthly and I'm sure you could score an awesome yearly deal. https://www.astrill.com/sign-up.php Has it for under 6$ a month if you get the whole year.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Icecreamjones

No quality service is free. UnlockUS seemed pretty good when I did the trial

MichealJustin3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so free vpns are helpful in China anymore because they are blocking VPN service and most of the free vpn service are blocked in China even Paid VPN also blocked.