Selling all my old DVDs. Advice?

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DopeToast

After listening to Vinny's moving story on the Bombcast and how he threw away all his DVDs, it got me thinking about what to do with mine. I have a quite a bit and don't know what to do with them. I want to have Blu-Rays of some of my favorite movies that I know I will want to watch a lot, but other than that I will probably just use Netflix or something similar. There is a used DVD store near my house that I could sell them to for almost nothing, but then I thought I could possibly sell them on Amazon. For people who have sold things on Amazon before, is it convenient and/or profitable? And is there a market on Amazon for DVDs anymore? Would it just make more sense to sell them for dirt cheap to the store and just get rid of them?

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hector

Sell you DVDs on Amazon. It's safe and fast and you'll probably get more money than you would from a store.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Burns098356GX

Its probably not worth the effort and time going through Amazon considering youll get like 5 dollars per DVD.

Used store or kijiji/craigslist.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Karl_Boss

I would just sell them in bulk on an auction site.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BionicRadd

Id take it on a case by case basis. Odds are good you have a few DVDs in your collection that are out of print and valuable and you don't even know it, so I'd see what they're going for on Amazon before I took them to a store. However, every sale on Amazon is a trip to the post office, packing materials and just plain your time. In the end, selling a DVD for 6 bucks on amazon won't net that much more than you'd get at the store if you took store credit instead of cash. Plus there is just something pleasing about walking into a store with a stack of DVDs and walking out with 15 or 20 bucks, 10 minutes later.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uniform

I would never sell my DVDs. I have a few hundred, many from the fifties to eighties. I just don't see upgrading to Blu for films that old to be worth the money. I'll keep my DVD collection and purchase new releases on Blu.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Bruce

@thevigilanteoflove:

If you're selling them one by one, you're going to have massive shipping endeavors, tons of addresses to keep track of, shipping labels. Is it worth all of the hassle? Unless someone wants to buy the bulk, and if you don't need the money, maybe it'd be worth it to just dump them on the DVD store you mentioned.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Buscemi

Or save them somewhere and in a thousand years when you've fully transitioned into a cyborg you can enjoy When Harry Met Sally in all its upscaled goodness.