Serious discussion regarding soup.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JBird

One of lifes toughest and most controversial questions....

If you have soup in a cup or from a drinks machine, is it still like a meal or is it now a snack? Sitting down with soup in a bowl is blatently a meal, but does the transition from bowl to cup affect its status. I occasionally have tomato soup for lunch, but if i get it from the machine at work is that a second lunch. And what about the mug issue. is soup in a mug a convienant way to consume a tasty meal, where as soup in a plastic cup is a tempoary handling method for a liquidy snack?

I have an important exam tomorrow on civil rights in america from 1865 to 1980.....And i'm thinking hard about soup. I should be worried.

Rirobuge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Rirobuge

I've got an exam in 2 hours, and now you've got me thinking about soup as well.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Red12b

Depends

If its chunky and has bits of vege and meat or just vege if your a vegetarian, its a meal.

If its just liquid and or in a cup its a snack......

And yeah dude ahh good luck for tomorrow coz if you are thinking about this you might need it...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

Soup in a mug is still a meal, but soup in a disposable cup is a snack or if there is nothing that requires chewing, a beverage.  Ramen is the one exception because there is a lot of noodles in instant ramen, and that is usually packaged in disposable containers.

I don't understand how you can eat anything that isn't prepackaged from a vending machine.  Why not risk salmonella and try the egg salad sandwich as well? 

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By joshy9411

you pose a very interesting question, but what i really think is important is wheither it is still customary to use a spoon if the soup is in a cup/mug. i personaly do not, unless it is a chunky sort of soup, with bits that are not easily "sipped".

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Gmanall

If it is smooth then not if filled with meat then it would be considered a meal.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JBird
@joshy9411: dude, what about croutons!. or however you spell em. A cup with a spoon and croutons is not just a snack! its a full blown sit down dinner! The debate deepens!
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain

I don't think it's a meal, hell no, I mean especially if you get it out of a machine. It's a hot, flavored drink, not a meal. It's barely even soup, it's hot water and powdered flavorings.

A proper soup, usually eaten with bread, is a meals worth. Canned soups also count here.

A cuppa soup is a snack/supper item as it contains substantially more 'food' than a simple hot drink, croutons, dried vegetables, etc.

A cup of soup from a machine barely equates to a can of drink, and should be considered no more a snack than a can of drink from the machine next to it.

imo. Soup is serious business.

Edit: It's not so much the transition of bowl to cup that makes it a drink/snack, it's the loss of accompanying bread and the addition of a large amount of water (in proportion to soup) whereas a proper bowl of soup is 100% whatever you prepared, and soup is usually thick (or very watery, but with food items contained within, such as noodle soup) whereas machine soup and cuppa soup is just flavored water.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Alexander

It comes down to what's in the soup.

Soup from a machine is like a seriously watered down Cupasoup and I wouldn't ever consider Cupasoup a meal.

I think where you start introducing larger pieces that require chewing, you start to get a meal. Take a proper leek and potato; it's thick, it's got potato in it. Add some bread and I'd call that lunch.

Adding bread to a Cupasoup is still not a meal.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Alexander:

Yeah lol, you just get soggy, chicken flavored bread.

Proper soup coats the bread, it isn't absorbed by it (creamy or thick style soups that is, watery soups as I mentioned above tend to have 'things' floating in them edible things mind to alleviate the requirement for bread)
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I love a nice bowl of tomato soup.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JBird
@MattyFTM: 

lol. I like your straight up, no arsing about, "i love a nice bowl of tomate soup", It had a similar impact to "WABAM" from the natal demo. I too like tomato, what i'm not a fan off; Ox tail, who wants soup named after an Ox's tail? Thats like Hamster Ball Stew. Theres no way i will ever chow down on a hamsters balls, nor an ox's tail. End of.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Also, on the subject of soup, I present to you the most hilariously named soup ever:

No Caption Provided

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Diamond

Soup is ALWAYS a meal, never a snack IMO.  However it can be a measly unfilling meal or a satisfying complete meal, depending on the soup.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Red12b
@MattyFTM:
Spicy