• 82 results
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hicks91

Theres been a bit of a hoohah in Britain recently. Judges have ruled that sex offenders of all varieties (from meager furrys to full on pedophiles)  have the right to have their names removed from the sex offenders list. 

more reading here 

http://deskbar.google.com/news/more?pz=1&hdlOnly=1&cf=all&ned=us&ncl=dn19JLswew-vZBMT4kDtwqL57ihjM  

Personally i think this is a disgusting ruling, and it baffles me that government cant actually do anything to prevent this ruling from an (unelected!!) judge causing policy change, though this is an increasingly common occurrence. thoughts? 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I think maybe they should talk to their victims about removing the name. Or did she have it coming?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bocam

Then what's the point of having a list?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I definitely think that child molesters and rapists should be labeled as such for the rest of their lives, however in the case of more minor issues- like those sexy female teachers who slept with their consenting 16 year old students, probably shouldn't have their lives ruined for them. 

Edit: But what do I know, I learned everything about politics I know from South Park.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mcfart

hmm, anyone with serious crimes should have their named on the list. furries on the other hand, who cares.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pinworm45

We live in an age where the offender is treated more like a victim. 

Blame the liberals, or something.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

Some cases their name shouldn't be on the list. But child molesters/rapists should.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah it should be optional for girls only cus that kind of statutory rape is sexy.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By melcene

I think it really all depends on what they did to get labelled a sex offender.  Did parents press charges because a 17 or 18 year old was sleeping with his 15 year old girlfriend?  Did a guy get busted once screwing a sheep while he was drunk or high off his ass?  These things do not belong in the same category as rapists and true child molestors. 

@TooWalrus said:

" I definitely think that child molesters and rapists should be labeled as such for the rest of their lives, however in the case of more minor issues- like those sexy female teachers who slept with their consenting 16 year old students, probably shouldn't have their lives ruined for them. 

I almost brought this up too.  Consensual sex with a teenager who would be having sex with their peers anyway should not be considered the same.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pinworm45
@ryanwho said:

" Yeah it should be optional for girls only cus that kind of statutory rape is sexy. "

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blueduck

If you want to punish someone for the rest of their lives do it with their sentence after their convicted. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

well that's a stupid idea. maybe for minor things good but rapist, and other things yeah keep their name on the list.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By benjaebe
@ChristOnIce said:
" Reactionary imbeciles come out of the woodwork with stories like this.  The ruling is that they have the right to appeal.  Fucking read. "
Surely you can't expect people to read the article before commenting. Because that's just crazy talk.
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NickL
@Bocam said:

" Then what's the point of having a list? "

On the flip side, having a list makes it so an otherwise normal human being can't have a normal life even if it happened 40+ years ago and he has not done anything bad since  

@Pinworm45

said: 

" We live in an age where the offender is treated more like a victim.  Blame the liberals, or something. "

so an 18 year old should be punished for the 60+ years left in his life because he decided to have sex with his consenting 15 year old girlfriend and her parents pressed charges?

anyone who tries to make this into a simple black and white argument has no right to speak on the matter
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pezen

Lists of any kind are always a bad idea, no matter why they are made, no good usually come from them.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Considering that the list is an end-of-life sentence in everything but name?  I think that non-violent offenders who don't pose a threat to others should at least get an option for a separate list, so that people will at least know they're not going to be prowling the streets or attacking people.  But hey, what do I know, most people think that it's funny when they get murdered.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NickL said:

@Pinworm45 said: 

" We live in an age where the offender is treated more like a victim.  Blame the liberals, or something. "

so an 18 year old should be punished for the 60+ years left in his life because he decided to have sex with his consenting 15 year old girlfriend and her parents pressed charges?     anyone who tries to make this into a simple black and white argument has no right to speak on the matter "
didnt someone already use the 18 year and 15 year old example...  well i get your point either way. 
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45
@NickL said:

@Pinworm45

said: 

so an 18 year old should be punished for the 60+ years left in his life because he decided to have sex with his consenting 15 year old girlfriend and her parents pressed charges?     anyone who tries to make this into a simple black and white argument has no right to speak on the matter "
Yes, that's exactly what I said. You got me exact.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, what does a sex offender registry do, again? Don't most cases of sexual assault and shit happen with somebody the victim already knew?

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Matfei90
@TooWalrus said:
" ...like those sexy female teachers who slept with their consenting 16 year old students... "
Whoever's lucky enough to have that happen to them.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By melcene
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, what does a sex offender registry do, again? Don't most cases of sexual assault and shit happen with somebody the victim already knew? "
In most cases, at least here in the US, it makes it so that anyone can do a search for "sex offenders" in their neighborhood and get all scared and worried about all these sex offenders that may or may not even be rapists/child molesters. 

Example, apparently there are ten sex offenders within a half mile radius from my home.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
@melcene: 

Really? Shit. Invite them over for an orgy. You guys will have the loudest, most offensive sex your neighborhood has ever known.
ThanatosXRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThanatosXRS

Mybe we should put everyone on a registry, while sexual crimes are terrible their not the worse thing that can happen to you, I think its just using social hype to create more government lists. The list is a huge violation of privacy and civil rights just another reason western powers are turning into authoritarian states based off social hype, the registry does nothing but make the problem worse.  Your basically helping them slowly destroy all rights while claiming "public safety".

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By melcene

Another problem I have with this crap is these days people try to put way too much into stuff.  I know of a guy who had allegations against him (which were fully cleared) that he must be sexually abusing his child because they rough-housed / wrestled around, and he called his kid "sweetie" once in a while.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm

I would like to know how having a sex offender registry list is a preventative measure against pedophilia in neighborhoods. That information, should people choose to look at it, only truly serves as a scare tactic for never letting your child out past five pm, or alone to do something such as getting the mail, or going over their friends house. If it is simply used as an educational tool, I can understand that, but if this is the case, then there should be DUI registry lists as well. I mean hey, there is a possibility a kid might get decked with a steel grill from an F-150 at nine pm on a random school night because hey! You live near some people who did that at one point. I'm not sure the specifics of the registry list, but I think it makes sense to only have repeat offenders on there. As others have mentioned, I'm sure some kids life might be ruined because when he was eighteen, he fucked his sixteen year-old girlfriend, and the law just ain't going to have any of that.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By danimal_furry

Hopefully this wouldn't fly in the US. If you commit a felony and are found guilty, you lose your rights. The bad list is the accused sex offender list. I had a teacher in middle school who coached track at one of the local Universities. A girl on that team got angry when he refused her advances and she said he raped her. She later admitted she made the whole thing up, but he was never allowed to teach again. As well, he is on a permanent list nationally as an accused rapist. That is pretty sick. One jealous girl destroyed an innocent man's future. Accusations are different from guilt, at least here where you are supposed to be presumed innocent.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By melcene
@Napalm said:

" I'm not sure the specifics of the registry list, but I think it makes sense to only have repeat offenders on there."

I think it varies depending on where you live.  My county shows names, the block (but not specific address) where they live, their mugshots, and what/when they were convicted of to get them on the list (and any sexual offenses since).

@danimal_furry said:
"Hopefully this wouldn't fly in the US. "
Do a search for your county and sex offender list.  You'd be surprised.
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrv321

We seperate murders into different degrees of severity, I say we do the same for sex offences. For example manslaughter is severe but mass murder is worse. the same way rape and child molesting is worse than a 16 year old sleeping with a 15 year old consenting sexual partner, yet both get labeled sex offenders.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By danimal_furry
  @melcene said:
"@Napalm said:

" I'm not sure the specifics of the registry list, but I think it makes sense to only have repeat offenders on there."

I think it varies depending on where you live.  My county shows names, the block (but not specific address) where they live, their mugshots, and what/when they were convicted of to get them on the list (and any sexual offenses since).

@danimal_furry said:
"Hopefully this wouldn't fly in the US. "
Do a search for your county and sex offender list.  You'd be surprised. "

About what? Did they start removing people? That would piss me off.   

http://www.wakegov.com/sheriff/citizens/sex_offender_registration.htm 

Luckly, I don't think that will happen. It's not a perfect system we have, but it is better than no system.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By melcene
@mrv321 said:
" We seperate murders into different degrees of severity, I say we do the same for sex offences. For example manslaughter is severe but mass murder is worse. the same way rape and child molesting is worse than a 16 year old sleeping with a 15 year old consenting sexual partner, yet both get labeled sex offenders. "
They are separated into different degrees when they get charged/convicted.  Unfortunately that doesn't carry over to these lists.  Even when the lists tell you exactly what they were convicted of, we still don't know the circumstances of the case.  In the case of the sex offenders in my area, after looking at the info on them, many of them were convicted while they were still minors themselves, which makes me wonder exactly what was going on.

@danimal_furry: I thought you meant the list itself, not the possibly getting off the list.  Look, I'm usually a staunch conservative, but I agree that these lists serve as nothing more than a scare tactic for communities.  Before we had such lists our kids actually got to be kids.  Now we coddle them and cage them inside with TV and video games because we're afraid to let them out of our sight.  These lists wrongfully lump a wide assortment of criminals together.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The right to appeal is a great idea.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By danimal_furry
@melcene said:
" @mrv321 said:
" We seperate murders into different degrees of severity, I say we do the same for sex offences. For example manslaughter is severe but mass murder is worse. the same way rape and child molesting is worse than a 16 year old sleeping with a 15 year old consenting sexual partner, yet both get labeled sex offenders. "
They are separated into different degrees when they get charged/convicted.  Unfortunately that doesn't carry over to these lists.  Even when the lists tell you exactly what they were convicted of, we still don't know the circumstances of the case.  In the case of the sex offenders in my area, after looking at the info on them, many of them were convicted while they were still minors themselves, which makes me wonder exactly what was going on.

@danimal_furry: I thought you meant the list itself, not the possibly getting off the list.  Look, I'm usually a staunch conservative, but I agree that these lists serve as nothing more than a scare tactic for communities.  Before we had such lists our kids actually got to be kids.  Now we coddle them and cage them inside with TV and video games because we're afraid to let them out of our sight.  These lists wrongfully lump a wide assortment of criminals together. "

Oh no I totally agree with you on that. We've turned into a nation of crazed parets who put their fearsin their children. Instead of being parents who worry, we just keepour kids in little sheltered areas and give them anxieties. We are totally on the same page. But as a parent, it is good to know who t keep your eye on, but not to make the kids little nervous freaks.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jimbo

I'm pretty sure the '16 yo with consenting 15 yo' scenario wouldn't land the 16 yo on the (UK) Sex Offenders Register in the first place. 

(It's still illegal though, so behave)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By jakob187

It would seem like something that should be circumstantial.  There are plenty of 19 year olds out there that date 16 year olds, and yet the parents could have that 19 year old arrested on charges of sexual molestation of a minor and that person would end up being labeled a registered sex offender... 

...and that would simply be because two teenagers happen to have sex, which is a pretty common thing that happens every damn day. 

If you're a pedophile, there's no way I could see how you have any "right" to have your name removed from a list.  The same goes for anyone who would rape someone, etc.  However, there are these small instances like what I described above that can absolutely ruin someone's life...and yet there's honestly nothing wrong with it.  I don't know, maybe I'm weird like that, but why should a 19 year old who dates and has sex with his 16 year old significant other be labeled the same as someone who rapes a 5 year old?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@TooWalrus said:
" I definitely think that child molesters and rapists should be labeled as such for the rest of their lives, however in the case of more minor issues- like those sexy female teachers who slept with their consenting 16 year old students, probably shouldn't have their lives ruined for them. 

Edit: But what do I know, I learned everything about politics I know from South Park. "
Do I have the right to stab them if they come off the list? IF not they should not come off the list. 
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @TooWalrus said:

Edit: But what do I know, I learned everything about politics I know from South Park. "
Do I have the right to stab them if they come off the list? IF not they should not come off the list.  "
Well I really don't think that people with the issues mentioned by @jakob187: and @melcene: etc should be put on the list in the first place.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@TooWalrus said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @TooWalrus said:

Do I have the right to stab them if they come off the list? IF not they should not come off the list.  "
Well I really don't think that people with the issues mentioned by @jakob187: and @melcene: etc should be put on the list in the first place. "
I learned from sexual harassment...panda... 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jimbo
@jakob187 said:
" It would seem like something that should be circumstantial.  There are plenty of 19 year olds out there that date 16 year olds, and yet the parents could have that 19 year old arrested on charges of sexual molestation of a minor and that person would end up being labeled a registered sex offender..."
Age of consent in the UK is 16, so that wouldn't be illegal (assuming it's consensual).  I ain't no expert, but as I understand it, even a 19yo male having consensual sex with a 13yo girl wouldn't end up on the Sex Offenders Register in the first place either (though it would still be very illegal).
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FourWude
@ChristOnIce said:
" Reactionary imbeciles come out of the woodwork with stories like this.  The ruling is that they have the right to appeal.  Fucking read. "
SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SpacePenguin

I would just like to say that this isnt the hole of the UK, this is NOT happening in Scotland, its only Wales and England (not sure about N.Ireland)

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FourWude

To the OP. Calm the fuck down and put down your british newspaper, it ain't educating you in the least. You're typical of the people that pollute britain.

Also paedophile hysteria... what is this, 1999 all over again. 

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By time allen

right to appeal is a good thing. it does not mean instant pardoning/pat on the back/go fuck some kids up.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ComradeKritstov
@ChristOnIce said:
People assume vital information such as that would be included in the OP.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho
@FourWude said:
"

To the OP. Calm the fuck down and put down your british newspaper, it ain't educating you in the least. You're typical of the people that pollute britain.

"
Allusions to ethnic cleansing and downplaying child molestation. This man knows how to deliver.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FourWude
@ryanwho said:
" @FourWude said:
"

"
Allusions to ethnic cleansing and downplaying child molestation. This man knows how to deliver. "

I do know how to deliver, telling sensationalist brits to shut the fuck up is one of them. And I do it well. There's a way to handle such matters, being hysterical isn't one of them.

And ethnic cleansing. Is Britain an ethnicity these days? I thought it was just a shit hole.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hicks91
@melcene said:
" I think it really all depends on what they did to get labelled a sex offender.  Did parents press charges because a 17 or 18 year old was sleeping with his 15 year old girlfriend?  Did a guy get busted once screwing a sheep while he was drunk or high off his ass?  These things do not belong in the same category as rapists and true child molestors. 

@TooWalrus said:

I almost brought this up too.  Consensual sex with a teenager who would be having sex with their peers anyway should not be considered the same. "
that situation wouldnt get you on the list 

@ChristOnIce said:
no, the right to appeal would mean having their conviction overturned and from that their name removed 
 which they can already do. 

this is them being guilty (or at least found guilty, which requires significant evidence) and wanting their name removed, thats quite a substantial difference 

imbecile.
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, what does a sex offender registry do, again? Don't most cases of sexual assault and shit happen with somebody the victim already knew? "
it prevents them from getting jobs where they'll be in close proximity to children or other vulnerable people
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hicks91
@melcene said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
In most cases, at least here in the US, it makes it so that anyone can do a search for "sex offenders" in their neighborhood and get all scared and worried about all these sex offenders that may or may not even be rapists/child molesters.  Example, apparently there are ten sex offenders within a half mile radius from my home. "
we dont have that in the uk, its entirely for the police and relevant authorities the public dont have access 

@mrv321 said:
there is a threshold for getting on the list i believe it is a prison term of at least four years
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Sex offenders have the 'right' to have their balls cut off.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hicks91
@Toms115 said:
" right to appeal is a good thing. it does not mean instant pardoning/pat on the back/go fuck some kids up. "
This isnt the right to appeal 

This is them accepting their guilty verdict, but wanting their name removed anyway
J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By J12088
@ChristOnIce said:
They also only have that right after 15 years if what I'm reading is correct. It's a problem i think but not one I'm going to get worked up over.