Should I live in a dorm?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

I can live in a dorm during school free of charge. Should I live on campus? My tuition and books are free as well, so regular living costs shouldn't hurt at all. Anyone have dorm experience?

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GS_Dan

Do it. Gain friends.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, if it's free. You'll be closer to classes and things, which is nice. Of course, a bad roommate can ruin the experience for you (it has for me), but a good roommate can improve it greatly (it also has for me), so keep that in mind. 

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MadeinFinland

Free of charge? I'm so jealous. 
I'm in a dorm right now, and it is worth it.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MaddProdigy

Pitching in with some people you know and renting a house is the way to go man. Might mean extra hours at work or whatever, but I'd say anything is better than those dorm monitor douche bags...

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fRAWRst

Free tutition, books and res?

wtf teach me how to hack

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By dagas

I lived in a dorm my first year (but a single room not with a room mate). I sort of miss it. You get to know a lot of people. I lived in what was called the International House because I was a foreign student and there were people fro mall over the world. I got to know people from Germany, Japan, Turkey, even Iran. Even if it's just a regular dorm you learn a lot living with others. If it's free then go for it. I had to pay 800 Canadian dollars a month for my small dorm room. Which is about the same as I pay for my much larger apartment here back home in Sweden, but it was still a great experience.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Cameron

Living in a dorm is probably the best way to experience the social aspects of a university. However, if you want to do really well, living by yourself will keep distractions to a minimum and allow you to study. Also, if you live by yourself, you don't have to worry about getting a terrible roommate.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jmfinamore
@MaddProdigy:  Renting a place is awesome, but I would recommend it for your first year or two. Getting into a house with a few people closes your social circle and gives you the option of not really meeting anyone else. Dorms are an awesome way to meet a lot of people. Then, when you've got a nice big network of people and have found your close "group", a house is totally the way to go.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

I commuted when I was in college and I kind of regret it now.  Even if you only live on campus for a semester or two, it will be a lot easier to meet people and money obviously isn't an issue for you, so why not?  You can always leave if you don't like it.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Definitely dorm it up your first (and even second!) year. Easiest way to meet people and to get a feel for the campus.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By mzuckerm

First year, yes.  After that, maybe (if it's free, that's always nice).

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By FrankCanada97

I commute to University, and now find University life boring. Do it, especially if it's free.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Undeadpool
@EpicSteve: Holy shit, man. If you can live there FREE? HELL yes you should! I had to play an exorbitant amount to live in a dorm my first year. It's a weird experience, especially for someone as introverted as me, cause it forces you to meet people and make friends by cramming you into a fairly small space with a lot of them. It's tough, but overall it socializes you up REAL quick.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

A bad roommate could completely ruin your experience. Personally, I'm moving out of my dorm because anything I do is always off campus and it sucks not living near that stuff.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

for your first time do it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By csl316

i remember the dorm kids in college always had a retarded amount of drama.  i had plenty of friends before college, so i just commuted happily.

but if you wanna get laid/drunk/do worse in class, go for it.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By benpack

If you can live really close to campus and not in a dorm, do it.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By velucyraptor

I lived in a dorm for my first two years, &I say do it. Definitely do it. Take the opportunity while it's there. Whilst dorm life may be something you eventually feel yourself growing out of, the experience in the meantime is absolutely worth it. If it's not for you, you can move out whenever you choose

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cstrang

For your first year, I would highly recommend it.  It's a good way to meet people, and it's even better if your dorm has a cafeteria, 'cause then you never have to worry about food costs or the extra time it takes to cook.  If you get a single, you don't have to worry about cleaning up after other people (which is almost guaranteed to be a problem should you choose to live in an off-campus house with other people).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

If I have the the choice between crazy dorm, or quiet home, I'd go with quiet home every time. That's just personal taste, though.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Clinkz
@GlenTennis said:
" If you can live really close to campus and not in a dorm, do it. "
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Portis

Free books, tuition, and they let you live in the dorm for free? wat. 

Either way, I've always preferred to not live in dorms.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By KarlPilkington

I live in halls with 5 other people, get on really really well with 4 of them.  

That one person and her equally annoying boyfriend ruins the whole experience, it's like me and the other 4 can't do anything with her around.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k9

Depends on the kind of dorm you will be living in. Dorms populated by graduate students usually tend to be much quieter and laid back than dorms filled with undergraduates. I would still suggest living in an apartment away from the University, since continuously being surrounded by an environment under which you are supposed to study and relax at the same time can be quite stressful to one's psyche at times. 

But overall this decision is dependent on your financial status. IF you can afford to live away, then do so. 

By the way, what school?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, for Christ's sake do it. I made the mistake of commuting to school my freshman year and it's probably one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. For fuck's sake do it!!!!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Subjugation

I want to know HOW you are getting all of this free. That is a ridiculous steal. I spent my first year at college on campus in a dorm at it was definitely a very social environment and very fun. However, you are also prone to having issues with distractions whether it be noise, people tempting you to hang out and go do things, and possibly other rowdy kids on campus. Dorm = social but possibly harder to study / off campus housing = less social opportunity but also less distraction. I say if it's free and your first year, definitely give it a shot. Good times to be had. Just don't be stupid and put fun ahead of study because that will bite you hard and fast.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By guthwulf

Dorms are gross.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deeveeus
@EpicSteve said:
" I can live in a dorm during school free of charge. Should I live on campus? My tuition and books are free as well, so regular living costs shouldn't hurt at all. Anyone have dorm experience? "
Do it for the first year, you make SO many friends in college in dorms. 

once you have know some cool cats to get a place with off campus, do that then.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Example1013

I have a question: do you want to be a social outcast? 

It's much harder to get involved in the campus community and meet people when you commute, unless you're really close and easily can go to night and weekend on-campus events.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By EpicSteve
@Undeadpool said:
" @EpicSteve: Holy shit, man. If you can live there FREE? HELL yes you should! I had to play an exorbitant amount to live in a dorm my first year. It's a weird experience, especially for someone as introverted as me, cause it forces you to meet people and make friends by cramming you into a fairly small space with a lot of them. It's tough, but overall it socializes you up REAL quick. "
The Army covers the bills. 
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Undeadpool
@EpicSteve: In that case, there's really no reason not to. It'll be cramped, but it's a really good transition to living on your own, though it sounds like you may have already had one of those. It's also a great way to meet new people.
strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By strangone

It depends how old you are and what kind of dorm you're in. If you're older and more mature (judging by the Army thing I'm guessing yes), then living with a bunch of undergraduates will drive you crazy, guaranteed. Although maybe you like listening to 18 year olds get completely wasted and throw up while blasting Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus, in which case you should definitely live in a dorm.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

If it's free, hell yeah. 

Otherwise, it absolutely depends on the school. Fuck Community College dorms, for example (they do exist).

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By SMTDante89

For the whole good/bad roommate, you can always get a new one, that's what I did with my first roommate (though it was actually out of my control)  My second roommate and I have been cool for a couple of years now.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cnlmullen

If it's free why not? It's really not the same experience if you live off campus.  

Unless you are very introverted/a little bit a hermit... in that case I might recommend an apartment. 

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By BrittonPeele

Do it because it's free, but I was IMMENSELY happier after moving out of the dorms and into my own house. Even though my roommate was one of my best friends and our neighbors were pretty cool, I just couldn't stand that sort of living situation. But then again, maybe that's just me.

Navyseils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Navyseils

If you haven't lived on your own before and fancy trying it out, the sure, why not? It's free, so even if you don't like it and want to go back to your current arrangement (assuming that would still be an option) you've not lost anything. Some of my friends do it and enjoy the experience, they've made new friends and feel independent and such. 

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hot_Karl

Yeah, hell yeah. You'll meet cool people and  hopefully they'll stick around in your life after your first year. Didn't work out for me that way, but that's because girls are all kinds of drama.  

Seriously though, you really don't have all that much to lose and a ton to gain by living in the dorm. Go for it.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sambambo

You dont get your own rooms in America?

That sucks.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DrPockets000

Free?  Fuck you. 

Live in the dorm.  In my first year in the dorm I gained friends I will have for the rest of my life.

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

Do it for your first year, maybe even your second.  The people who are saying that your grades will suffer are idiots.  Study in the library, don't come back to the dorm until you're done.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By Tireyo

I live at home and go to college, so I wouldn't know. I'm the type that enjoys solitude when solitude is necessary, so that can be part of the reason why I don't live at a dorm.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nintendoeats

Every person that I know who is living in dorms is planning to move to an apartment or house next year.

But if its free, that's a damn big deal. Thats pretty much the only circumstance under which I would consider living in a dorm.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheVideoHustler

It's something you have to think long and hard about. Personally I would say no, if you are functioning adult, who knows hot to cook and clean for yourself and can manage basic finances then you're all set. The reason I am dead set against dorms is because they can cause "prison syndrome" (which is a spin of of situation depression) For some people living in dorms can be a horrible experience, especially if they have are used to fending for themselves. What happens is, when the sense of freedom and individuality is lost, and very strict rolls and regulations are set it, it can cause crushing depression, because of the huge change. Happened to me man, it sucks. The best option is to live in "non-traditional" housing. Which, if your school offers it, is basically apartments owned by the school and the rent goes on your tuition. That's what I am doing and it feels a lot better. If you have any questions or anything PM me, always happy to help a fellow duder out

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dantheman1515

Live in the dorm. Ive met some awesome people my freshman year, and 7 of them and I are living together in a house with one another next year. Living in a dorm is a must freshman year.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheVideoHustler

Not to mention it's like living with a bunch of five year olds in a eight story trailer park with tweaking junkies in the hallways. Dorms are largely filled with immature douche bags. I made a lot of friends just from classes. Never had social problems in my life

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#49  Edited By Marino  Staff
@EpicSteve: You should definitely live in the dorm for your first year, or at the very least your first semester.  It's an experience you'll never have the chance to have again.