Should i watch The Clone Wars cartoon?

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Should i watch The Clone Wars cartoon? (130 votes)

Yes! go see it dumb dumb! 74%
No! it's the worst thing ever! 12%
NOOOOOOO! because JAR JAR is in it (i don't know he's in it). 14%

Just curious because i got into Star Wars after seeing episode 4 recently and im now done with all the main movies (and yes i saw Rogue One).

• 
gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean the Genndy Tartakovsky one or the CGI series? Yes to the first one, not really to the second one.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

@gundogan: What's your basis on saying no to the CGI series? I think it's excellent (season 3 onwards in particular).

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: yeah i meant the whole series sorry i will edit it.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanj: Ah mine is based on the movie and some of the earlier episodes. I just think it isn't that spectacular, but nothing terrible. But if it picks up, then it's worth watching I guess. The Tartakovsky ones are great in my opinion. Over the top action and faithful to the creator's awesome style.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samanthak: Nvm i can't edit it for some reason :(

falloutbayside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would go by this:

http://imgur.com/gallery/suvAMuY

I got into it that way and have since gone back and watched other episodes. Currently enjoying Rebels a little more though.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clone Wars (2003) is a great little watch. It's very short though.

Clone Wars (2008) is amazing if you skip all the less spectacular episodes. There are plenty of lists out there of which ones to watch. Even if you do watch the whole thing it's still pretty great once the creators get the hang of things around season 3. Especially watch it if you are planning to watch the Rebels series. Starting in Season 2 of Rebels it builds heavily on many stories started in Clone Wars.

Also, if you end up getting into it, know that some stories that weren't compeleted after the cancelation due to the Disney buy out we're released later in different forms. They released several episodes on their website with incomplete animation, a comic series, and a book. It's known collectively as The Clone Wars Legacy.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SamanthaK

@falloutbayside: Nice guide thanks.

If im going to watch The clone wars i will watch Rebels after that because i heard good things about that.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's considered good, so sure why not? If you like animated tv and Star Wars, then it seems like a no brainer.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10 FinalDasa  Moderator

It starts out slow and very much targeting younger children, but around season 3 it really picks up. There are still a few episodes scattered about not worth sitting through, but overall the show is very good.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

If you mean the Gendy one then yes, yes you should.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's definitely inconsistent, but there are self contained episodes and arcs, so you don't miss much by skipping around. The series does a much better job than the prequels at making Obi-wan and Anakin actual characters.

Toug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah, Clone Wars vastly improved my opinion of the prequel era, mostly by replacing most of my memories of it. The show does a vastly better job of doing the groundwork on Anakin's arc. Plus there's just a bunch of fun stuff throughout. The first season can be a little rough, but then it kind of just takes off.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried but was never able to watch more than a few minutes of these Clone Wars things as a late twenties dude but I was able to enjoy Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures in my mid thirties just on sheer novelty. When I heard the voice of Master Shake as Jabba the Hutt's cousin I was in for the whole series.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I've watched a few episodes of the CGI series. I didn't think it was particularly good, but then I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. The episodes are really short, so I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try though.

Edit: It 's possible it actually was Rebels I tried to watch, so you may want to disregard this.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one?

Yes.
Yes.

Or this one?

Maybe?
Maybe?
bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The CG Clone Wars was actually pretty good for the most part. There were some very entertaining characters and a lot of the Clone Troopers were good.

Rebels on the other hand...that's not a good show. At all.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, the CGI one is good. If you enjoyed the Star Wars films then why not watch The Clone Wars? It's more Star Wars.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hayt

There is no escaping the fact it's a kids show. I am a die-hard Star Wars fan but I couldn't watch much of it because it was all too much of a cartoon. People say it's "dark" but that's only for a show aimed at small children. I found as an adult even the later season stuff to be just silly. People point to stuff like this as really cool moments but to me it just seems like more of the "cartwheeling Yoda with a tiny saber" style awfulness that the prequels are full of. Having the Emperor as a twin saber wielding pinwheeling ninja almost ruins the imposing figure we see in Return of the Jedi. The Clone Wars also has the honor of being the entry point of the worst piece of still canon lore in the whole saga as it stands.

I'm not saying it's valueless or that people who enjoy it are wrong I just feel that unless you have a lot of free time you're better off reading the episode summaries and avoiding the awkwardness of the actual show.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

falloutbayside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xdeser2: I thought so too! Watching those highlighted episodes really made me buy into Ahsoka, Ventress, and Anakin. Their stories are pretty neat. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Very disappointed about the direction Ventress' arc takes in Dark Disciple though.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As more of an original trilogy fan with the exception of the gendy animations I can reccomend rebels as fairly great. They do the Vader hallway scene from rogue one and it's pretty epic. Between rogue one, rebels and his excellent marvel comics run Vader has been very rehabilitated.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zirilius

Seasons 1 and 2 are a bit of a slog to get through but seasons 3-5 are pretty freaking great. Season 6 had potential but the show was cancelled mid production and they never finished.

I also highly recommended Rebels as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@spoonman671: If I'm remembering correctly didn't the non-CG cartoon have the creator of Samurai Jack in charge.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Man, they filed the original Clone Wars animated series under Legends? Not that I should be bothered too much about canon, but it still stings a bit. Like when Disney washed their hands of KotOR.

Heh. Probably one of the better things to come out of the hot mess of the prequels.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's some good stuff to the clone wars. And some bad stuff. So maybe.

With rebels it's the same things. I'm just sort of slogging through it and occasionally there is a great episode. But so far at least in rebels there hasn't been an overly kiddie series of eps like clone wars did.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hayt: I'm with you about the unnecessary acrobatics they infused into the prequels and all the animated shows. Vader is such an imposing villain precisely because he doesn't run and do double backflips. There is weight and intended menace in all his movements. The original trilogy had some great lightsaber duels that felt tense in their slower more measured pacing. Every attack, every riposte seemed like a life or death situation.

That's why it was such a huge deal when Darth Maul was shown to have a double lightsaber in the initial trailers - considering how incredibly focused and intense those original battles were, the idea of someone using a double ended saber seemed like it would be almost too much. Then all that stuff really ran away from them.

I was really happy that Force Awakens reeled that back in a bit.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samanthak: If you like Star Wars, then I'd say go for it. If you're like me, who thinks there's been three good Star Wars movies and five bad, maybe don't go for it.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: I like Ep 4,5 and 6 the most but i also enjoy the new ones.

Ep 1,2 and 3 i don't like.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have said, the Genndy Tartakovsky one is fuckign savage, the other one is pretty meh.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BojackHorseman

@samanthak: I think the two new ones and Empire are good. The rest are preeetty bad. Still I'm weirdly interested in Star Wars anyway.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Genndy one is great, definitely watch that. The CGI one is pretty bad, and emblematic of a lot of the problems with Star Wars' expanded universe, particularly on the prequel side of things. The Genndy one has less of a focus on story and characters, more of a focus on visual storytelling, action and really good animation, which makes it much less annoying than the cgi one.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GundamGuru
@hayt said:

The Clone Wars also has the honor of being the entry point of the worst piece of still canon lore in the whole saga as it stands.

Oh wow, you managed to top 'the Force is a bacterial disease' from the prequels. Never thought I'd see the day.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By s-a-n-JR
@freedom4556 said:
@hayt said:

The Clone Wars also has the honor of being the entry point of the worst piece of still canon lore in the whole saga as it stands.

Oh wow, you managed to top 'the Force is a bacterial disease' from the prequels. Never thought I'd see the day.

Really? I actually liked that arc of Clone Wars. Thought it was an interesting take on the force and was the antithesis of midichlorians (which I hated). It restored some sense of mysticism to it rather than being a "bacterial disease". Star Wars has always been more space fantasy than science-fiction, and they really leaned into the fantasy side of things. I do think the idea works better when you watch it rather than reading a short wiki-entry on it. It's all about execution.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanj: The Force didn't need a trinity of demigods that live in a Hyperbolic Time Chamber, nor a single spot in the universe from which it emanates. It's supposed to be based on eastern religions. I do plan on watching that Clone Wars series someday, so maybe the episodes will change my mind, but I doubt it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how this thread came up just around the time I was debating and finally watched the clone wars last night.

Seriously, I started watching the show last night in the official chronological order. By the way, to whoever it concerns, there is an official chronological order to watch the episodes in for maximum enjoyment. Look it up.

Anyway, I enjoy the show so far. The episode about the clones trying to pass that training course was brilliant. I'm excited for when the plot picks up and gets darker

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freedom4556: It doesn't emanate from it, it's just a channel which the force flows through. It doesn't really change what the force is, to me it's more like a weird, inexplicable by-product of the force, which is something I do think it needed, conceptually speaking.

Toug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Toug

My favorite part of Clone Wars is how it gleefully gets back the real heart of Star Wars: ripping off classic cinema. There's a bunch of episodes that do fun homages to stuff like 7 Samurai, King Kong, an Indiana Jones riff that's pretty funny.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I would recommend watching the cg series. The way that I view it is basically an alternative and better retelling of the prequels.

The idea of the prequels was basically to tell the story of Darth Vader. But instead of his turn simply being oh no my secret wife might die and I need power to stop it. It is instead a gradual natural change due to his experiences in the vaunted "clone wars' as old man Ben hints in IV. It doesn't take much connecting of the dots in the original to go from I fought with your father in the clone wars and Vader is your father to think that the clone wars must have been pivotal to his change.

In the clone wars you see how the ways he strays from the strict Jedi teaching makes him one of the greatest generals in the war in a way reminiscent to Revan from Kotor.

This forces the Jedi to begrudgingly giving him a greater role. It also garners him much favor from the republic soon empire officials and generals. Also makes you question how much people know that war hero and Vader are one in the same and makes his street cred make so much sense.

Also I'm fine with the Mortus stuff as a device. A narrative device to summaries all the themes of Star Wars , Anakin's struggles, and actually make good that dumb Prophecy nonsense that I really don't feel was actually resolved at all in Jedi like it was supposed to be especially now with new sequels. They wanted to do something big and meaningful about the series as a whole without actually being able to touch on any of the big important moments that were contained in the films.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By Entreri10

The CGI series is pretty enjoyable, it definitely picks up after the first couple seasons TNG style. Plus they're only 20 minute episodes without commercials so you'll be able to cruise through it.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By core1065

@humanity: I think the idea about the flashy light saber fights stems from the Jedi being at their prime. Compared to the original trilogy's, where Vader rarely got involved in saber fights and not as mobile due to the artificial limbs. Plus all the Jedi that were still alive were out of practice and very old lol. I would agree the fights in the original trilogy were a lot more tense. Each strike felt like it had a lot of weight and calculation to it, like old masters doing more reading of movements, mindgames and intentions than actual action.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok thanks to everyone that gave me their opinions regarding the poll.

I decided to watch all of it (yes also the damn Jar Jar parts) because i love the universe and most of the characters.

Most Tv series and cartoons have filler so i just have to deal with it i guess, anyway once again thanks for all of your comment.

I will let all of you know what i think about The Clone Wars Cartoon series after i watched it all.