Should my daughter visit her mom in jail? Is there a benefit over phone calls?

I1924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

looking for advice forums to ask opinions and this one came up

The charge is a forgery charge and it is a six month sentence main problem I have is she will see her mom in jail clothes and see guards and other inmates that could be intimidating I have a daughter who is 15 and she seems to be handling it fine. I told her right away about it and she reacted pretty calmly. I told her mom did the wrong thing and is rightfully serving her punishment. Actually my daughter does not seem scared but instead seems excited and enthusiastic to visit. This is strange to me. Do you find this normal? They have a good relationship.

Main problem I have is She will see her mom in a jail jumpsuit She will see other inmates and women behind bars The guards could be intimidating Is that ok for a 15 year old to see? Actually my daughter does not seem scared but instead seems excited and enthusiastic to visit. This is strange to me. Do you find this normal? My daughter seems to find the idea of her mom wearing a uniform, sharing a room funny. I wonder why she would think it is funny. Interestingly they have a good relationship

my wife says bring her if she would like to and my daughter says she would like to but I don't know if it is a good idea

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By citizencoffeecake

I mean this isn't necessarily an advice forum, although plenty of people ask for advice from time to time it's usually about building a PC or 'which TV should I buy?' That being said, sure, she's 15 and certainly has an idea of what jail is like from movies or TV. While she might get emotional once she's actually seeing her mom it may be good for her to see first hand the consequences of bad choices.

Of course as her father you know better than anyone here. Maybe go scope it out by visiting on your own first? Best of luck man.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm nearly double her age and a guy and I think going to visit a prison would absolutely be intimidating. You should take her but talk to her about it before hand. If she starts to feel uncomfortable she should be able to leave immediately. This would definitely be a good learning experience for her.

Also it would probably do good for her mother to see her daughter. Jail time is supposed to be for rehabilitation and punishment. Cutting her daughter out of her life for half would be pretty isolating for her. Furthermore the daughter is in early high school. Not having a motherly figure for that time could lead to larger issues (or not).

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By liquiddragon

I feel not seeing a parent for 6 month is less damage than seeing them in jail. But, though I kinda don't like how fast advice threads get shot down on these forums, I don't think it's a great idea to ask us.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the end of the day it is up to you and the mother to make that decision. It will be difficult to see her mom locked up, but she is old enough to understand the situation fully. Personally at that age i would allow it, maybe if she was younger i would consider not taking her.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jaymii

I'm not sure if this is related, but my 16 year old cousin is really into Orange Is The New Black. I could see a show like that single-handedly changing the perception of something like this to a whole generation of kids.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaymii said:

I could see a show like that single-handedly changing the perception of something like this to a whole generation of kids.

Good god I hope not

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are prisons that allow mothers to raise their babies and young children in them. Not to mention the countless families and friends that visit prisons all the time. I don't think it's terribly unsafe, and if both the mother and daughter want it to happen, that sounds like it should happen.
I agree with @citizencoffeecake however, visiting it on your own first might be a good idea.
I assume you are living in the future right now, 'what if this happens? what if that happens? what if what if what if?' living in the future can really mess with you and make you doubt. Just go, see how it is, see how it feels, see how safe or unsafe you feel it is, walk through the process, ask questions if you need to, see how your wife is doing and what she thinks of it. That way you'll have a clear picture and be in the present, and be able to walk and guide your daughter through the process if you see a moment of struggle or doubt with her.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, she's 15. I assumed you were talking about a 6-year old or something when I came into the thread. She wants to visit her mother, and her mother wants her to visit. I don't see the issue.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hunkulese

If it's a six month sentence for forgery, why is she even in a prison with bars?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgery is often used as an attempt to defraud.

Bfinstad86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to be a dick about this, but did you sign up to Giantbomb just to specifically ask this question? Because that is pretty bizarre if you did. You don't need the advice of a video game forum for this matter. Consider contacting your daughters school counselor or, better yet, contact your states department of social services hotline and ask the advice of a social worker there. They are better equipped to answering a question like this and probably get a facsimile of it everyday. Good luck.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

No matter what you do, DO NOT TALK TO YOUR DAUGHTER IN DEPTH ABOUT ISSUES! The key to successful parenting, or any relationship of any kind, is to not openly communicate until you find the root of the issues you are having, but instead ask complete strangers who have no idea and no clue about your actual situation for binding advice.

EDIT: Ah, looks like you got that covered.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to be a dick about this, but did you sign up to Giantbomb just to specifically ask this question? Because that is pretty bizarre if you did. You don't need the advice of a video game forum for this matter. Consider contacting your daughters school counselor or, better yet, contact your states department of social services hotline and ask the advice of a social worker there. They are better equipped to answering a question like this and probably get a facsimile of it everyday. Good luck.

i get the impression this is a very elaborate spambot.

i think they somehow got my personal info now...

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bfinstad86 said:

i get the impression this is a very elaborate spambot.

i think they somehow got my personal info now...

Yeah, I feel kind of silly for responding now. I mean I've seen people ask for some personal advice on these boards before, so I thought oh well, maybe some new guy stumbles across and thinks it can be used for those purposes, what's the harm?
Then the guy sends me a PM asking a bunch of the same questions he did here and some extra questions all kind of as odd and yeah, it all seems fishy, no reason to bring an advice thread to PM unless the plan is to then go hey, we should take this to e-mail.
Makes no sense for someone to ask for help and then avoid the thread where they asked for help. Thinking this might be spam too.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's 15? I thought you were talking about like a 5 year old. Yeah, of course she should visit her mother.

Bfinstad86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can this get a lock?