Should term-limits be imposed on Politicians? (Question of the Day 9-13-10)

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TomWhitbrook

Aren't they called "elections"? 
I kid, I kid. But aside from that, no. Why get rid of someone just when they're getting good at the job if their policies are still popular and implemented effectively?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

As much as it sucks having to replace someone who is popular anyway (see Bloomberg, mayor of NYC, he's awesome), in the grand scheme of things a society has to keep power from being in the hands of one person for too long.  A lack of limits always invites abuse.  A society that wants to be healthy in the long-term always keeps that from happening.  It takes several good leaders to build up a society, but only one bad one to tear it all down.   
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By No0b0rAmA

No, just keep the power limitted but let them be in office if their good at their jobs.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, term limits are evil! All non-Parliamentary politicians should serve life terms! Long live the king!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes because otherwise W would have rigged yet another election and still be in office now. And of course being a Texan means my vote doesn't count either way.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Dalai

I'm all for term limits. Most politicians that have been in the same office for more than 20 years tend to not give a fuck about anyone but themselves.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats
@TomWhitbrook said:

" Aren't they called "elections"? I kid, I kid. But aside from that, no. Why get rid of someone just when they're getting good at the job if their policies are still popular and implemented effectively? "

I agree with this. There are few enough good people to boot them out without an excellent reason.  

EDIT: This would also eliminate the problem of second term presidents who aren't worried about re-election. That is a pretty big loophole in the "checks and balances" system.

@MrKlorox

said:

" Yes because otherwise W would have rigged yet another election and still be in office now. "

The flaw in this argument is that it is an issue of running elections better, not term limits. If somebody can rig an election, they can probably get somebody else in once the term limit hits. You know, unless the first guy made the whole world hate the country in question...

Also, to be fair, Bush does seem to have won the second term honestly, if you consider fear-mongering honest.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

New ideas are never a bad thing. 

Not to mention the country raping power mongering, but that's a far less cheerful topic.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, I am not a big fan of career politicians.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aronman789

My dream is one where all governments are destroyed, and every city becomes independent, mountain bandits and pirates everywhere, and we don't know how to get around because we burned all the maps and destroyed the roads. Like Mount & Blade IRL, the world is too boring now a days

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

No, if you dont like someone being there for a long time, vote them out.... California, where I lived for a few years, has term limits on members of the legislator. I think they can serve a maximum of 2 terms, it leads to a broken system with members with no experience and freshmen assembly members being speaker.

If someone is doing a good job then it makes sense to keep them, if not, then get rid of them. Maybe its because I'm from the UK where we don't have term limits, as long as you maintain the confidence of Parliament (you hold a majority) you can stay on as Prime Minister. Thatcher was PM for about 11 years and Blair for about 10, they both won 3 general elections. Its mainly because we dont have clear terms, a term could last a matter of weeks or up to 5 years.  

Imagine if FDR was restricted by term limits...

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By astrotriforce
@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:
" No, if you dont like someone being there for a long time, vote them out.... California, where I lived for a few years, has term limits on members of the legislator. I think they can serve a maximum of 2 terms, it leads to a broken system with members with no experience and freshmen assembly members being speaker. If someone is doing a good job then it makes sense to keep them, if not, then get rid of them. Maybe its because I'm from the UK where we don't have term limits, as long as you maintain the confidence of Parliament (you hold a majority) you can stay on as Prime Minister. Thatcher was PM for about 11 years and Blair for about 10, they both won 3 general elections. Its mainly because we dont have clear terms, a term could last a matter of weeks or up to 5 years.   Imagine if FDR was restricted by term limits... "
Wow. That is the best and clearest argument I've ever heard regarding term limits. I voted yes and have always thought it was a good idea, your response has me reconsidering . . . Although maybe cap it off a bit higher at like 4 terms total? And 2 terms for president as it already is in America. But having freshmen who don't have much experience like our current President is a strong argument against term limits. I still think that having them there forever is a bad idea though . . . But everyone is correct that they are voted in and stay there because they keep winning the elections. 
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Snipzor

Yes to prevent people like Jesse "AIDS=sodomy" Helms from serving for an eternity. But no to prevent noob politicians from serving and to also keep the good ones in (Although longevity does not equal quality). There's a lot to consider, so maybe a compromise is in order.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93
@astrotriforce said:

" @CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

" No, if you dont like someone being there for a long time, vote them out.... California, where I lived for a few years, has term limits on members of the legislator. I think they can serve a maximum of 2 terms, it leads to a broken system with members with no experience and freshmen assembly members being speaker. If someone is doing a good job then it makes sense to keep them, if not, then get rid of them. Maybe its because I'm from the UK where we don't have term limits, as long as you maintain the confidence of Parliament (you hold a majority) you can stay on as Prime Minister. Thatcher was PM for about 11 years and Blair for about 10, they both won 3 general elections. Its mainly because we dont have clear terms, a term could last a matter of weeks or up to 5 years.   Imagine if FDR was restricted by term limits... "

Wow. That is the best and clearest argument I've ever heard regarding term limits. I voted yes and have always thought it was a good idea, your response has me reconsidering . . . Although maybe cap it off a bit higher at like 4 terms total? And 2 terms for president as it already is in America. But having freshmen who don't have much experience like our current President is a strong argument against term limits. I still think that having them there forever is a bad idea though . . . But everyone is correct that they are voted in and stay there because they keep winning the elections.  "
It really depends on the system. In the US term limits are more likely to work then in the UK.  

In the US the legislature is independent of the cabinet, you dont need as many experienced people. I still think that there definitely shouldnt be any term limits in the House, I could see them working somewhat in the Senate, since they serve ridiculously long 6 year terms. But again, if you dont like the person serving a long time, vote them out in the election or the primary.  

In the UK, the cabinet are all members of parliament. Unlike in the US, where you seem to put anyone into the office of president regardless of their lack of experience (see Bush and Obama) in the UK, most of the time, you have to be a long term politician, being a CEO doesnt count as experience (cough Meg Whitman cough). So to get experience you have to have been a cabinet minister or a leading member of the opposition.  

Tony Blair (1997-2007) held various shadow cabinet jobs for 10 years, Gordon Brown (2007-2010) was in the shadow cabinet for 12 years and was Blair's Chancellor (treasury secretary) for 10 and David Cameron (2010-????) was leader of the opposition for 5 (quite inexperienced). Since all those jobs normally require you to be a regular member of parliament for a few years (Blair and Brown both became MP's in 1983, Cameron in 2001) and then remain an MP to be in cabinet/shadow cabinet and finally Prime Minister, you have to be an MP for some time. Term limits would give us EVEN worse leaders with little to no experience.  

(PS: The shadow cabinet is made of opposition MP's whos job it is to "shadow" their respective government cabinet member. They scrutinise what they do and ask them questions in Parliament. The Leader of the opposition is the Prime Minister's shadow.)
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By habster3

Yes; being stuck with W or with O for over a decade sounds like Hell.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93
@habster3 said:

" Yes; being stuck with W or with O for over a decade sounds like Hell. "

Just dont elect them again... 

Bush, with his 20% approval ratings, would have never won a 3rd term. Obama will probably win in 2012, but  would he in 2016? I highly doubt it 

Look at presidents like FDR, he deserved to win his 4 elections. If you have term limits, a second term president has no motivation to work in the public interest because he can't be re elected. If he could be elected for a 3rd time he'd have to work to be electable. 
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RJMacReady

It's not always obvious if a politician is effective at their job, and can you really say a politician deserves credit when the economy recovers or various good bad things happen that happen to correlate with their policiies ?? What if the politicians policies had nothing to do with economic recovery but it was actual individuals in the market ? There are multiple instances of voters assigning false positives, and extremely stupid ones to politicians, voters have historically associated shark attacks and natural disastors with current admins, this doesn't bold well for determining if a politician is doing good.

IF your approval methodology is going to assign stupendously obvious unrelated events to an administrations performance then screw it. 

This poll has no answer.

Anyway, mathematically democracy doesn't give you majority preference. It gives you a preference paradox that is intransitive, so you can never say definitively if societies preferences accord with the vote outcome, and that's even if everybody votes.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By veektarius

For the US:  It's important to keep in mind that personal wealth or celebrity aside, a junior legislator will raise less money for a reelection campaign than a senior legislator.   Thus, except in tumultuous times (such as the present), and elder statesman has a greater chance of being reelected given the exact same policies due to an election campaign.  When it comes to races aside from the presidency, national party money and national media coverage barely gets involved - candidates only get as much publicity as their name-recognition can pay for.  Then there's the primary system to account for, which increases the barrier to entry for politicians of the same party as the incumbent.  Say you like Democratic policies, but you think an up-and-comer can do them better.  Well yes, you can vote for him in the primary, but unseating an established incumbent in a primary election is very rare, and pragmatically, a bit illogical.  A senior legislator heads up committees and brings pork home.  He's also proven he can win in the general election.  You'd have to really hate him to be willing to give that up for someone new from the same party. 

So at the end of the day, yes, I think there should be term limits.  Let them stay long enough to get experience, but don't let them stay so long it becomes a career where they're more worried about keeping their jobs than making a name for themselves.  We want legislators who want to get things done, and getting things done is what will be most likely to help their career once their term in Congress is over.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93
@Veektarius said:

" For the US:  It's important to keep in mind that personal wealth or celebrity aside, a junior legislator will raise less money for a reelection campaign than a senior legislator.   Thus, except in tumultuous times (such as the present), and elder statesman has a greater chance of being reelected given the exact same policies due to an election campaign.  When it comes to races aside from the presidency, national party money and national media coverage barely gets involved - candidates only get as much publicity as their name-recognition can pay for.  Then there's the primary system to account for, which increases the barrier to entry for politicians of the same party as the incumbent.  Say you like Democratic policies, but you think an up-and-comer can do them better.  Well yes, you can vote for him in the primary, but unseating an established incumbent in a primary election is very rare, and pragmatically, a bit illogical.  A senior legislator heads up committees and brings pork home.  He's also proven he can win in the general election.  You'd have to really hate him to be willing to give that up for someone new from the same party.  So at the end of the day, yes, I think there should be term limits.  Let them stay long enough to get experience, but don't let them stay so long it becomes a career where they're more worried about keeping their jobs than making a name for themselves.  We want legislators who want to get things done, and getting things done is what will be most likely to help their career once their term in Congress is over. "

You make a good argument, for it in presidential systems like the US. Though it doesnt address the issue of having a lame senator whos on his last term and has no motivation to do well other then doing whats good for the nation. 

I think the US political system needs major over haul, but I don't think term limits are the answer. Campaign finance reform is a must. In the UK, a candidate for Parliament can spend   £7,150  +  £0.05 per elector.  Since most constituencies have a population of around 77,000 that adds up to be around  £11,000 or about $16,500. Most of the money comes from the political parties.

The political parties get their money from membership fees, donations (Conservatives from companies and rich people, Labour from unions, idk about the liberals...) and state funding (only the opposition parties in parliament). While in the US, Representatives have to spend hundreds of thousands, without much party support, and end up relying on corporations, their own funds and the rich. That doesnt seem right, they end up representing special interests and not the public interest. 

And you should monitor them once they leave public service too. Make them report to Congress about what jobs they take for a few years afterwards to make sure they're not making any shady deals
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By c1337us

I don't see why you would, that's what elections are for. If they are doing no good don't re-elect them.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RJMacReady
@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

The political parties get their money from membership fees, donations (Conservatives from companies and rich people, Labour from unions, idk about the liberals...) and state funding (only the opposition parties in parliament). While in the US, Representatives have to spend hundreds of thousands, without much party support, and end up relying on corporations, their own funds and the rich.  

Actually this notion of the liberal party not being supported by business elite is not convincing. 

http://ideologicalcartography.com/2010/07/12/citizens-united-and-the-myth-of-a-conservative-corporate-america/

Although board members from some sectors exhibit conservative allegiances—notably the oil, gas, and coal industries—most corporate boards are either dispersed across the ideological spectrum, or seem to have aligned with the left, as is the case of many of the growth stories of the new economy. 

This accords with the public choice view that businesses that posses market dominance can benefit not just from subsidies(republican corporate welfare) but oppressive and viscous regulatory environment that imposes massive costs on new entrants into the market(liberal). 

Minus Bill Clinton(not your typical liberal).. I will start giving him props for de-regulating more then Reagan.

@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

While in the US, Representatives have to spend hundreds of thousands, without much party support, and end up relying on corporations, their own funds and the rich. That doesnt seem right, they end up representing special interests and not the public interest. 

And you should monitor them once they leave public service too. Make them report to Congress about what jobs they take for a few years afterwards to make sure they're not making any shady deals 
Voter theory explains this easily adn i've posted here on this issue. Your vote has no real value with regards to its' ability to be a deciding factor in an election. Voters are "rationally ignorant" that is , it's a welfare maximizing strategy to be an idiot about politics because you have no effective power to do anything about it. Democracy emasculates you and without a mathematical combinatorial analysis of the value of  your vote value you might believe you can do something with your vote but you can't.  This debasement of citizen voice by giving everybody equal political capital that has ridiculously small value only serves to enhance the value of money in the political process. I would say a good amount of the failure of the political process in this regard can be traced to the amount of political capital distributed. 

The "rational ignorance" problem can also explain why a citizen monitoring of elites will fail. IF the value of your vote is low then the benefit of monitoring politicians, bureaucrats so you can make more informed decisions is downright masturbation, you have no political capital to alter the outcome anyway.  The only alternative is non-conventional forms of political participation which require that people give up a lot of time with their jobs, self improvement and family and this is to costly a venture, and since the rich have more money they can do this easier then everybody else. This explains why an individual that goes home after work and watches American Idol rather then C-Span is actually more rational, unless your a political junkie and actually enjoy politics for entertainment value.
altbotdos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By altbotdos

I didn't answer the poll because "yes" and "no" don't cover the gamut

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@RJMacReady: He's referring to the Liberal Democrats, one of the three main parties in the UK. 
@CRAzYKiLL3R93: Actually, all 3 parties draw on a fairly similar mix of rich individuals and small and large businesses to fund their campaigns, as well as membership fees and interestingly, borrowing. Labour's biggest donors are still the Unions overall but Lakshmi Mittal and Nigel Doughty both put £1 million each into the Labour campaign this year, with the largest individual Tory donor topping out at £803,000.
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By CharleyTony

There should be a system where you need a special license to becaume a politician and that license would be completely free and available to all who want it. The only purpose it would serve is that when an elected politician does something really bad (extreme cases of lying, bribery, not taking care of their promises, etc.) then it would get revoked. 
In a lot of cases, have a limited number of (major) parties in a political system ends up getting creeps re-elected just because some people "can't" vote for anything else than "THE party they are a member of". 

Those guys are supposed to represent you, and the party in power should be viewed as the people that are employed to administrate the peoples money. If they can't handle it, then you should be able to "fire" them, just like it happens in a big company.
Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, term limits are pretty bad.  The best politician is one that *only* cares about getting elected.  Then, in theory, they should be only carry out policies the public wants.  This doesn't always work out.  However, failures at this point are caused by systemic problems (long campaign season, more campaign finance laws) that can easily be fixed.  If you have term limits, the time in office becomes like a paid vacation more than a job.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm against pretty much any limits on who can stand in elections. It should be up to the public to vote for whoever they want. If the public think that a person who has been in the job for X number of terms can still do the job properly, that's their decision. Similarly, if they feel he/she has been in the job for too long, they can vote them out. That's democracy at it's finest.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti
@dudeglove said:
"
"
QFMFT!
CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93
@TomWhitbrook said:
"@CRAzYKiLL3R93: Actually, all 3 parties draw on a fairly similar mix of rich individuals and small and large businesses to fund their campaigns, as well as membership fees and interestingly, borrowing. Labour's biggest donors are still the Unions overall but Lakshmi Mittal and Nigel Doughty both put £1 million each into the Labour campaign this year, with the largest individual Tory donor topping out at £803,000. "
Interesting, I didn't know. I'd only really heard of the high profile donors, the likes of  Lord Sugar, Lord Ashcroft and JK Rowling. 
mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mtcantor

Yes. Politics is all about inertia. The longer they stay in, the more complacent and cautious they get. If politicians knew they had a maximum of 12 years (2 senate terms or 6 congressional terms) then they would be forced to get off their ass and actually do something. 6 years could work as well, but then you run the risk of a great amount of knowledge and expertise loss, and the staffers would end up running the governmnent, even more than they do now. 

All in all, term limits are good ideas. We have them for the president, we should have them for legislators as well. Shame it would take a constitutional amendment to do it though. 

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@CRAzYKiLL3R93: Labour got 7 out of the top 10 largest individual donations during the election, with the Tories only getting two. If you exclude the unions as aggregates of many smaller donors rather than as large businesses, Labour still managed to beat out the Tories on big donors at three to two. Of course, that's also a reflection of Tory strategy, which was to solicit more "small" donations of around £50000 from a much wider pool of donors, but it's still an interesting revelation. The Tories overall raised more money than Labour though, and Labour's currently very high level of borrowing puts them in a sticky position.