Show Me A Hero discussion (new HBO Miniseries)

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#1  Edited By donutfever

I searched and couldn't find any threads for this, so I made one myself. Show Me A Hero, the new miniseries by David Simon, creator of The Wire and Treme begins tonight, taking over True Detective's slot. It sounds like two episodes will air every Sunday for the next three weeks. Hype!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By conmulligan

I only started hearing about this a couple of weeks ago so it kind of came out of nowhere for me, but it looks terrific. I was a bit worried that it would be too cerebral for it's own good because David Simon is overdue for that kind of hubristic overreach, but Alan Sepinwall gave it a glowing review today which is encouraging.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The way David Simon talks about the Wire made me hate the Wire

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I'm into it! For all the talk about how it's "a show about public housing" it really ended up just being a way to explore historical inequality and the growing pains of social change. It's intriguing stuff.

I also really liked the look of it. I understand the thinking behind The Wire's cold, un-stylish approach, but I much prefer Paul Haggis' take here. And I loved all the Springsteen in the soundtrack.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I dig it. It's pretty heavy in political talk and exposition, but I have a lot of room in me for this sort of thing, as long there is good return on the investment (which has been the case).

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sqrabbit

I went into this series cold and thought the overall feel of the political and drug dealing scenes were copied straight from The Wire. Then the credits rolled and saw David Simon and Blown Deadline. What a great surprise. More David Simon is always better! Also, Orlando's old man gig... Haha

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Oscar Issac so as soon as I saw the trailer for this I was pretty much in. I don't know how close it is to what actually went on historically but I'm really enjoying it so far.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Jim Belushi hahaha

Anyways looks pretty interesting. Big fan of the Wire so could get into this. More political but I can like that.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I just got caught up. It's wonderful!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Devil240Z

Oh ship I am totally going to check this out.