Show off your for reals Warhammer/40K/etc. tabletop stuff

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Mnemoidian: Sound powerful but..yeh I can see how a whole group of those could look overbearing. Wings/mask should really be reserved for HQ choices. 
MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By MisterMouse

I think it would be actually really cool to paint some of these. That would be a blast.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#53  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Commisar123: I wish! Some banners come with a pattern in the plastic - such as the 2 banners I've posted. I'm actually terrified of ruining my models with my poor freehand painting skills...

Otuz's looks like the real deal, though. Very nice :)

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: Oh, they can be beasts, but they are best for cracking tough units. I don't encounter many of those in the few games I play (vs Tau and Sisters of Battle) - so they feel a bit wasted. But I love the models, and we play for fun anyway - so I don't care much :)

Otuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Otuz

@Mnemoidian: Well actually the Chaplains banner is a plastic pattern just like you said; the only bit of freehanding is the little moon-thingy in the middle.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By CheapPoison

Cool stuff! 

Kinda bummed there isn't much warhammer fantasy and/or Privateer press stuff. 
I'd post mine, although i have no 40k, but taking pictures.... yeah...

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Otuz: I was thinking of the runes on the cloak of your Autarch, actually :)

But I might be wrong about that as well, not very familiar with the Eldar models.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By SSully

@gike987 said:

Why did you have post this thread? It makes me want to paint miniatures again and I really don't have money for both this and video games.

Why, how much does it cost to support painting miniatures as a hobby?

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CheapPoison
@SSully said:

@gike987 said:

Why did you have post this thread? It makes me want to paint miniatures again and I really don't have money for both this and video games.

Lots and lots and lots. 

Not sure what the conversion rates are.. but it isn't too unlikely to pay about the amount of a game for a full metal unit. 
And that is if it isn't a crazy big unit. 
 Plastic is a bit cheaper.. but generally quite expensive too.; and you always get lots of extra bits in plastic kits so you can model lots of options.. but you also pay for that.
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@SSully said:

@gike987 said:

It depends on what ones you're buying but it isn't a cheap hobby that's for sure. Games Workshop tend to charge as much as they can cause they're the big boys. Basically the Activision of the tabletop world. 

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat440130a&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k
You can check out prices an stuff there. I guess the cost all depends on how crazy you get into it. You can pick up the Assault on Black Reach starter set which gets you a bunch or Orks and Space Marines for around $100 bucks.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By SSully

@TheSouthernDandy: @CheapPoison: Wow I had no idea. I always assumed it was cheaper. It makes sense though, because a lot of these models are extremely detailed.

Otuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Otuz

@Mnemoidian: Oh! You're right, that's actually freehand. I didn't even remember, had to pick the little bugger up to see it.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CheapPoison
@SSully: It is pretty expensive. But i believe there is a big difference from continent to continent. 
Australia seems downright screwed when it comes to games workshop. 

But i must say. It can be as worthwhile as you want it too be. 
In the end of the day you can pain on a model for 1 hour or put 10+ hours into & model. You can ge ta very good quality paint job pretty fast, but there are lots of little technics and extras you can keep doing over and over to increase the result (and some results are crazy, like some in these thread) 
And you also have the game part. In some systems there might be the danger of some models becomming obsolete... but normally a model rarely becomes useless so. 

But i wish it was a bit cheaper, i would still be doing it if it was.
rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By rawrnosaurous
Black Templars FTW
Black Templars FTW
Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#64  Edited By Julmust

Fuck yes, awesome thread. I don't have any tabletop stuff anymore, used to paint Warhammer-figures when I was about 12, they looked like crap but it was fun anyway!

Now I only have some boardgames that I play with my girlfriend, bet you don't want that in this thread.

But I'm planing on getting Bloodbowl and then I might post some pictures of my shitty figures.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Mnemoidian

@SSully: A lot of the cost lies in initial investment - you'd probably end up around $100 (very rough estimate! Includes a box of 5 Space Marines at $25) if you'd pick up what I'd consider the optimal "basic kit" (including 3 pots of paint) using Games Workshop branded stuff. You should definately look into non-branded tools though (at higher quality) - so you should be able to get away with a lot less than that.

But the rest of that $100 includes 2 brushes, cutters, files, 3 pots of paint, varnish and spraycan of basecoat - which you won't need to get per box of models.

3 Colors is pretty standard for a "play"-model, as far as I know, but the one I posted on page 2 here has had at least 12 colors applied to it. The ones on page 3 are about 7 or so. Each pot of color is about $4 - and will last a lot of models.

For the paints, I'd do some serious research before I'd stray away from GW colors, though. Especially when you are just getting started. Nothing wrong about using alternative paints - it just might be harder to get started as a lot of tutorials will reference GW color names - but there are color charts for several competitors you can use for that.

Hope that helps! :)

(Of course, if you intend to start actually playing the game, you'll need more than 5 models... you'll also need the rulebook and an army codex.)

(Using dollars, for reference, as I couldn't figure out easily how to get the GW site to display in English with Euros)

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Sitoxity

@Mnemoidian: Cut those prices in half and it's basically around the £ value for miniatures and paints, though it does vary a little more than that, what with VAT fluctuating every year now.

I must ask, got any tips for the Sanguinary Guard Banner? I've not even started because I know for a fact it'll be VERY difficult. :P

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@CheapPoison said:

Cool stuff! Kinda bummed there isn't much warhammer fantasy and/or Privateer press stuff.

When my Plague Furnace is done I'll snap some pictures of my Skaven army for you. Most of them are pretty basic basecoat->mudwash though.

On the subject of cost, it depends what you want to do: Playing the game is goddamn expensive, the rulebook alone is £35, a box of a single unit of troops for whatever army is like ~£20. And then you've gotta paint you army which costs a bit.

But if you just want to paint a sick-looking model, you can get some of metal ones for £8ish. Paints are still pretty costly though.

Thinking about it, those prices might be out of date if there's been a hike in the last year.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#68  Edited By Giantstalker
Not a wizard at painting, but here's my Baneblade
Not a wizard at painting, but here's my Baneblade
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@SSully: If you wanna get in a little lower cost, check out newer games like Infinity or Warpath which is literally JUST releasing. They wont be as pricy as 40K. Ebay or online sellers are also great places to go to save some cash.

Like the other guys have said, it can be pricy but if you factor in the amount of time/enjoyment you get from it, it can definitely be worth it. If you start getting into assembling/converting/painting stuff there's almost no limit to what you can do and create. Add to that the fact that it's an actual game with crazy depth, it can definitely be worth the investment.

Also, im super stoked this thread is getting the response that its getting. Love this stuff.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By JammyJesus

@SSully: Warmachine/Hordes is big in the UK right now. All you need to play against someone is a £25 box set. Paints on top of that if you want too, but they come in quite cheap packs. Also, Helldorado has just arrived in the UK. Similar game but has (IMO) far better models and ideas behind the game.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Zelyre

For people interested in getting into miniature games, Privateer Press, makers of Warmachine is releasing a 2 player battlebox later this month. You can find it for as low as $75 online and it comes with a mini-rule book that has the full rule set for the game. You get 17 models, 2 armies worth about 20 points. Small games are 15-25 points. A 35 point WM game is your average sized battle.

That said, here are some spehs mareens!

No Caption Provided

And... some Warmachines stuff! Both versions of Skarre along with a few jacks.

No Caption Provided
chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By chilibean_3

There are some fine looking figures being posted in this here thread. Nicely done, all.

MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MegaPigeon

[IMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/neilwb23/IMG_1001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/neilwb23/IMG_0994.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/neilwb23/IMG_1005.jpg[/IMG]

[lol gimme a minute]

Some day I might actually finish the rest of the Black Reach set.

Oh yeah, and I don't live like a pig. I just moved back from uni the day I took these and I had discovered a leaky roof in that corner of the room, resulting in a lot of panicky knick-knack moving. :(

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By MichaelBach

Some great talent in here, nice work guys!

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75  Edited By rjaylee

Jesus christ, you guys make the 3 Ultramarines I attempted to paint when I was 12 look like complete and utter asshole.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By Gilsham

This is a land speeder I brought when at the age of about 16 I was flush with box folding money, at some point the joint on the stand fail =/ also I could never get the typhoon launchers to glue right as they are pwerter and the rest it plastic, I do also have a tac squard somewhere (probably at my parents somewhere)

No Caption Provided

This is a lego dreadnought my brother made for my birthday this year it is pimp as hell, I still want to buy a kit for one some time but havn't got round to it as I wound need to get the paints as well

No Caption Provided
Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Sitoxity: Not going to claim to be an expert, but certainly, I'll write down how I did it (however, so far, I'm not entirely happy with it yet).

Primer it white (I like how it makes it easier to get bright, strong colors), then start painting the background/lowest layer - ie: the cloth that I've painted dark red (mechrite), and the background in the main image (that I've painted bright blue (ice blue?)). Then add the yellow border and start filling in Sanguinius.

At this point, my goal is much like the props guy on BLLSL - make it pristine, unspoiled - just pure colors. It'll look bad, but it's a base to build on.

Next, apply washes to give depth. On scrolls, I usually paint the scrolls Bleached Bone, and then wash with Badab Black, Devlan Mud and Gryphonne Sepia. Go back with Bleached Bone to clean up the flat areas - repeat washing and highlight with Bleached Bone again.

Same basic idea for Skulls, except I replace the Gryphonne Sepia with Ogre Flesh.

On the red cloth, I have a similar technique: First cover with Mechrite red, then slather on plenty of Badab Black in the creases, then clean up with Mechrite red - finally put a basic highlight with Blood Red.

The hardest part is the yellow... Yellow is a very difficult color to paint - it's very transparent, and it's very difficult to clean up mistakes. I usually try to wipe off any mistakes I make with a piece of paper asap - and failing that, cover with white and start over. Gryphonne Sepia works quite well to shade Yellow.

Same basic strategy for other parts... not sure if that answers the question? Not that those colors are the "right" way to do it or anything - follow your heart! :)

As for brushes, I do most of my work using a pair of Winsor & Newton series 7 brushes - sizes 0 and 00. They are pretty expensive, but I'm very happy with them - doing detail work is a lot easier with good brushes.

Does that help? :)

@Gilsham: Yeah, the mixing of plastic and pewter kits have always been a problem - you'll want to use super-glue to combine those, however, Superglue makes a brittle bond and is unlikely to hold for long (especially with handling). A normal solution to this is to drill holes in the plastic and pewter and insert a brass rod (and then glue) to make a much stronger bond.

That landspeeder kit in particular has been remade in the last few years, and the Typhoon Launchers are now in plastic as well - so it's much easier to put together :)

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Vodun

@Mnemoidian: Railgun submunition fodder.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ervonymous

Here I go, I went and bought some accessories and the starter set with five Ultramarines, paint and a brush. I'll start by murdering my old Hero Quest figurines.

Some great pieces of work in this thread so far.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By YoThatLimp

Damn it, thinking about getting an Assault on Black Reach kit now and some paints. Damn you GB you hate my Wallet

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Sitoxity

@Mnemoidian: Wow, haha. That helps a bunch, thanks.

Obviously I'll go with my own taste on colours/look and what not but the tips you gave will certainly help with making it look a lot more Banner-y and a lot less static.

I know how horrible Yellow can be to paint sheerly for the one Assault Sergeant I've actually painted. The helmet still doesn't look quite right...

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Zelyre

@Sitoxity: Depending on how bright you want your yellows, put another color down first. Otherwise, it'll look like a streaky mess. Bestial brown covers pretty well. I'd paint that on in a few thin layers. Then, put your yellow on top of that. If you want a very bright yellow, use a grey or white. Then throw some yellow on top of it.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Sitoxity

@Zelyre: Yeah, that's what I've been putting on top of a black undercoat. Just trying to get it just right so it's not looking as odd. I've touched it up a bunch and it's definitely looking better, just not as nice as the rest. Ah well, practise makes perfect.

metagnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By metagnome

Some of my Warhammer Fantasy chaos warriors. Might see if I can find my marines, I'm sure they're around here somewhere.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Zelyre

@metagnome: :O

That... makes me want to play WH:Fantasy.

But then, everytime I get the urge to play it, I tear open the bin of Dark Elves I have, look at the 80 unpainted spearmen, and say, "Ehh..."

Those look great. Especially the banners.

metagnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By metagnome

@Zelyre: Thanks.

I do the exact same thing with my dark elves. Could never quite bring myself to paint them.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By sjupp

This is making me want to get into this stuff. I've no idea how far I'll go but what the hell. Does anyone know about where to start?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Zelyre

@Sjupp: What kind of game are you thinking of playing? What kind of time/monetary commitment are you looking at? What games do your friends/local game clubs play?

Warhammer and Warhammer 40k have starter boxes. $100 MSRP, you can get them online for ~$80US. High Elves and Ratmen (skaven) for fantasy and orkz (With a K and a Z) and Space Marines in the 40k box. The models are of lower quality than the actual retail models, they're snap together, and are made of a cheap plastic. The actual stuff is much nicer, but much pricier. They both come with rule books as well. The 40k book seems pretty complete, just missing the fluff. I'm not sure about fantasy. I never bought the hard cover book as its very pricey and no one I know wants to play fantasy. If you're interested in those factions, those are decent ways to start. Otherwise, you're looking at their box sets. $100 MSRP, cheaper online. Each one comes with... stuff. For example, the space marine box has a transport, a full squad of tactical marines, a half strength squad of tacticals, scouts, and an assault squad. In order to be playable, you'll still need the space marine codex and a HQ/Commander model. Without the codex in front of me, I'd say its about 500 points. Small games are 750. Most games I've played are 1250. Tournament is around 1750. Games can and will last for hours.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440270a&prodId=prod1060108

Privateer Press has Warmachines/Hordes. At the end of this month, they'll introduce their two player box $100 MSRP ~$80 online. Menoth (think... WoW Paladins.) and Khador (Russians). They're the actual retail plastic parts, the infantry units are socket based assembly and the jacks are just... pieces. Their plastic is actually a resin/plastic blend, so plastic glues do not work on them. It comes with a mini rule book like the Warhammer kits, but this one is full color. Also, no fluff. Each side is a complete army. A commander, infantry, and a number of "jacks". You don't need the faction books, though I'd recommend it. You'll want to buy card protectors and dry erase markers, because you write on your cards. Each side in this is ~20 points. A small game is 15 points. Then 25, then 35, etc. Games are very short. If your main caster dies, that's game.

Malifaux is probably the cheapest to get into. A single box will get you all the models you need for that faction. Then the rule book and that should be that. I haven't played it though.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

This thread is awesome.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Sitoxity

I'm just working on my Furioso Dreadnought, so I may try and post some progress pictures later. Definitely one of the finished model when I get it done.

Goddamn I love the Blood Angels unique figures...

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Sitoxity

@ShaggyPolarBear: About $100/£50-£60 for a Starter Box. These could either be a box with 2 Basic armies, rule set, etc. or a Battleforce of one Race (There's a couple Space Marine Chapters with their own) and that will have a little more advanced units and will be the retail models rather than the basic snap together ones.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Zelyre

@ShaggyPolarBear: Depends. Expensive is a relative term. I was thinking about putting together an Imperial Guard air cavalry army, just for fun. At $200, I'd come close to 1k points and to me, that's not bad.Though, it seems Games-workshop tries its hardest to make it seem expensive. I've seen dudes at the GW store drop thousands in one plunk.

If you're looking to just paint and play, you could see if you have some friend's who'd be interested in a slow-grow league. In 40k, there's a small game scenario called "kill team." You could start there, 500 points of models. You could easily do any army for under $100 at that point level. Then, every few weeks, tack on some more points, expand your models, and paint them up.

If you just want a few dudes to paint up, they sell a box of five snap together marines/orkz/guardsmen for under $10.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Sitoxity

Question for the guys who are in this thread and are AWESOME at detail/freehand. I'm about 90% done with a Furioso Dreadnought (Just finishing off some insignias/sorting out metal and dirt etc.) and was wondering what you guys do for Wording on tapestries.

You can see it here on the front and left leg.

Do you guys just use a detail brush/standard sized brush with a steady hand? Or do you use a micropen like I've seen used in some other pro vids (like Awesome Paint Job). I did attempt it on a previous dreadnought with BAAL, but it was pretty shakey and I'm wanting to make this look much cleaner and more professional.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ervonymous

Alright, my first painted figurine. I kept the color scheme very simple, I think I'm ready for the Ultramarines.

No Caption Provided

I might have a new favorite hobby.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Sitoxity

@ervonymous: Looking good dude. Especially for a first model.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Zelyre

@Sitoxity:

Sakura marker. Use dark browns, not black. Also, lay everything out in pencil first. Then go over it with the marker. Do not push with the pencil or marker or you'll scratch the paint up.

No Caption Provided
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#98  Edited By Detrian

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

Hey guys, quick question? Is Warhammer still an expensive hobby? I stopped when I was 16 and man, this thread is making me want to pickup a box to paint again.

Yes. These days you can buy online for cheaper though, new or used. It's not rare seeing guys selling their collection online because they need to pay whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cabd6b28362
deactivated-63cabd6b28362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This thread needs more Warmachine. Or Infinity. Or Malifaux...

I play too many minis games to be as bad a painter as I am.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Frostmane said:

This thread needs more Warmachine. Or Infinity. Or Malifaux...

I play too many minis games to be as bad a painter as I am.

I'll upload some Malifaux soon. Find it far more interesting than any of the GW stuff, but nobody around here plays it!