Showing some Joss Whedon love

Kenshinfan818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kenshinfan818

So what does the bomb community think of Joss Whedon, I just saw the avengers and while I thought it was a tad bit overrated it was still a great movie. I'm also a diehard fan of Buffy and Angel. I'm slowly making my way through the rest of his T.V shows and movies. What are your opinions on him? I think he's an awesome writer with a knack with character interaction.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

I thought that The Avengers was good. Buffy and Angel were good when I was younger, but I think they're terrible now (I tried to re-watch Buffy a few months ago via Netflix). Dollhouse was bad, I learned that the hard way.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By pyromagnestir

Never saw Buffy or Angel, loved Firefly (and Serenity), dug Dr. Horrible, Dollhouse grew on me after the first 6 or 8 episodes, haven't seen The Avengers yet. That about sums it up.

I'll always be interested in what he does. Firefly got him that much.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vitor

@BraveToaster said:

I thought that The Avengers was good. Buffy and Angel were good when I was younger, but I think they're terrible now (I tried to re-watch Buffy a few months ago via Netflix). Dollhouse was bad, I learned that the hard way.

Buffy has not aged too well, especially the earlier seasons.

Same with Angel. At least until Season 3. Then man, it's still totally awesome. Definitely the superior series. Just way more issues got tackled and the characters were more nuanced.

Also, as much as I love Firefly, I'll happily admit that it's pure fluff. It's fun and charming but it deals with its issues in such broad strokes that it really can't hold a candle to other good sci-fi.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Wemibelle

It's all good, some better than others. I own every season of all the shows he's done and rewatch them constantly. Doesn't get old.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

Just love Buffy, it's that one TV show that I have never been able to replace. Really liked Angel a whole bunch also. I catch random episodes of both on sy-fy (uk) every so often and really, really enjoy them. Firefly was brilliant and could have possibly been his best show had it been given more episodes, but who knows.

Dollhouse, bah Dollhouse. I still haven't seen the whole of the second season. I have every intention of doing so at some point, but that show started off really weak and continued to only ever show glimpses of what it could be. Maybe it ended great.

Whedons films have been great though Both Serenity and The Avengers are full of energy and a ton of fun.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Getz

Hah, I was just watching Buffy on netflix. I'm a big fan of his, though I do recognize that his writing isn't everyone's cup o' tea. Personally, I think he's brilliant.

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Regal

@Vitor said:

Buffy has not aged too well

Tell me about it. I think I saw an interview recently and she looked and sounded like she was in her late 40's/early 50's, while she really is in her 30's. What the hell happened?

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheHumanDove

You should make sure to see Cabin in the Woods as well. Great movie

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cloudenvy

The Avengers and Serenity are good, Firefly is incredibly awesome. I barely remember anything from Buffy or Angel.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Serenity was good but not great, Firefly was... a little better in some ways, but still nothing special.

That's all I got.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Grixxel

@Kenshinfan818: Wat, you like Whedon and you still have not watched firefly? GET ON IT

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Twazuk

@TheHumanDove said:

You should make sure to see Cabin in the Woods as well. Great movie

Seconding this.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I saw The Avengers but I was so drunk that I passed out a half hour in and woke up during the final battle.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By YI_Orange

I liked The Avengers a lot and love Firefly/Serenity.

I've been watching Buffy(in season 7) and while it definitely shows its age at times, I think the writing holds up. I have been really enjoying it and I really like the main cast(minus Tara and Dawn. Granted, sometimes I miss when they were all happy all the time). I've been convinced to watch Angel afterwards despite initial feelings about it. If the praise people give it is deserved, then I'm sure I'll love it.

Dollhouse I've chosen to ignore. I've heard middling things about it, and also heard that after the second season premier he had nothing else to do with the show.

Dr. Horrible is fantastic, probably the best musical I've ever seen.

So yes, I agree that Joss Whedon is a genius and I eagerly await his next TV project and it's inevitable cancellation.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vitor

@Regal said:

@Vitor said:

Buffy has not aged too well

Tell me about it. I think I saw an interview recently and she looked and sounded like she was in her late 40's/early 50's, while she really is in her 30's. What the hell happened?

I meant more the story and characters, not Buffy herself.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

I could give a shit less about Buffy, Firefly, Serenity, or any of that shit. I hated it all. I haven't seen Avengers yet.

However, his upcoming SDCC Heroclix piece...is fucking BRILLIANT!

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chuggsy
@jakob187 said:

I could give a shit less

Oh god
JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JohnDudebro

I'm blown away that the third highest grossing movie of all time is a Joss Whedon movie.

Good for him. That dude's deserved a big hit for a long time.

Kenshinfan818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kenshinfan818

Buffy definitely shows sign of aging but I think it holds well. The characters are definitely likeable and i'm able to get behind them. My only gripe with the avengers was that it kind of dragged on.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

He actually made me think Cyclops was super badass. For that he is awesome. Amongst other things.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JaredA

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is one of the best movies ever made. EVER.