Sleepwalking.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By oldschool

As a previous blog of mine recounted, I had an experience with a colleague urinating over my clothes on a business trip, whilst sleepwalking.  Sure he was drunk as well, but it ended with him unemployed (damage to the hotel suite).  This week, I had another experience with sleepwalking and this one truly frightened the living daylights out of me.

It was roughly 2 am and I was woken from my slumber by noises from the children's end of the house, their bedrooms.  It started with kind of groaning noises, followed by some indecipherable mumbling.  What truly got my attention was a sudden cry for help.  With instincts that only a parent can have, I raced out of my bedroom in total darkness, negotiating doorways, hallways and corners at full speed without running into anything.

What greeted me when I opened the door to my daughter's bedroom and turned on the light would send a chill through any parent's spine.  I found her seemingly unconscious, sprawled on the floor at the other end of her bedroom.  Having had a friend find her daughter lying dead after a heart attack last year (happy ending, she was revived and lived), I was mortified.  For about 20 or so seconds, I shook her, calling her name and tapping her face.

Suddenly, she just opened her eyes, turned her head and looked at me and said, "oh, I need to go to the toilet", promptly jumping to her feet and walking out.  To be honest, I not really sure she was actually aware of that either.  As it turns out, she had a nightmare that was combined with sleepwalking (she has a history of sleepwalking).  She remembers that she was being attacked and was trying to get out of the room.

That must have been very distressing for her as we all know how real nightmares feel.  However, the shock to my heart could have been terminal.

Feel free to share your sleepwalking experiences with me.  Hopefully some of them may give me a chuckle.  Hopefully none of them are sad.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By oldschool

As a previous blog of mine recounted, I had an experience with a colleague urinating over my clothes on a business trip, whilst sleepwalking.  Sure he was drunk as well, but it ended with him unemployed (damage to the hotel suite).  This week, I had another experience with sleepwalking and this one truly frightened the living daylights out of me.

It was roughly 2 am and I was woken from my slumber by noises from the children's end of the house, their bedrooms.  It started with kind of groaning noises, followed by some indecipherable mumbling.  What truly got my attention was a sudden cry for help.  With instincts that only a parent can have, I raced out of my bedroom in total darkness, negotiating doorways, hallways and corners at full speed without running into anything.

What greeted me when I opened the door to my daughter's bedroom and turned on the light would send a chill through any parent's spine.  I found her seemingly unconscious, sprawled on the floor at the other end of her bedroom.  Having had a friend find her daughter lying dead after a heart attack last year (happy ending, she was revived and lived), I was mortified.  For about 20 or so seconds, I shook her, calling her name and tapping her face.

Suddenly, she just opened her eyes, turned her head and looked at me and said, "oh, I need to go to the toilet", promptly jumping to her feet and walking out.  To be honest, I not really sure she was actually aware of that either.  As it turns out, she had a nightmare that was combined with sleepwalking (she has a history of sleepwalking).  She remembers that she was being attacked and was trying to get out of the room.

That must have been very distressing for her as we all know how real nightmares feel.  However, the shock to my heart could have been terminal.

Feel free to share your sleepwalking experiences with me.  Hopefully some of them may give me a chuckle.  Hopefully none of them are sad.
KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KingOfIceland

Phone your local Exorcist and get the mop ready..... just saying.

Unfortunately  I'm more akin to a coma patient when I sleep so I've never experienced any kind of sleepwalking happen.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool

Good lord, The Exorcist!  That brings back memories.  If she opened her eyes and spoke like a man, then I really would have had a heart attack.

However, now matter how evil she was, if she vomited all over the room, she would have encountered an evil far greater - her angry mother!
Steve_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Steve_Evil

I tend to sleepwalk when drunk. Was playing a bit too much Star Wars Galaxies a few years back whilst still living with my 'rents and sleep-walked into their room, my mum woke up and asked me what I was doing 'I'm scouting' I replied (was putting in loads of hours towards the scout class) and she had to walk me back to my room.

Next time was when I was doing a charity car rally across Europe and was staying at a hotel in Austria, had been out sampling the delights of the town during the evening and managed to get our party back to our hotel room using my drunken navigation system (never fails). I can then remember having a vivid dream where I was in a dark corridor in my boxers, walking up to a corner and peering round, hoping to find someone I'd recognise, seeing nothing I started to panic and got quite scared, went downstairs into a lobby area and down further into the basement, peering around in the dark looking for the rally organisers as I was determined they could save me. Still dreaming I found myself sat in a hotel lobby on the stairs in a state of panic, which is where I must have started to wake up as I began to recognise my surroundings, I then realised I must have been sleepwalking throughout my dream and dashed back up to the 4th floor to find that the hotel room door was still wide open.

So I'd spent probably 5 or 10 minutes sleep-walking around a hotel in the middle of the night in just a pair of boxers, taking comfort afterwards in the fact that one of my mates and brother were in the hotel room, otherwise I'd have experienced the whole ordeal naked, which could have been doubly embarrassing.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
oldschool said:
"

What greeted me when I opened the door to my daughter's bedroom and turned on the light would send a chill through any parent's spine.  I found her seemingly unconscious, sprawled on the floor at the other end of her bedroom.  For about 20 or so seconds, I shook her, calling her name and tapping her face.

Suddenly, she just opened her eyes, turned her head and looked at me and said, "oh, I need to go to the toilet",  I looked directly into her half-opened eyes and said "Me too. Me too," confusing her greatly.

I've created a better ending to your story, so from now on when you tell it you should use my version.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
Steve_Evil said:
"I tend to sleepwalk when drunk. Was playing a bit too much Star Wars Galaxies a few years back whilst still living with my 'rents and sleep-walked into their room, my mum woke up and asked me what I was doing 'I'm scouting' I replied (was putting in loads of hours towards the scout class) and she had to walk me back to my room.
See, now that makes me laugh.  Is there anything geekier or nerdier than Star Wars sleepwalking?  I think not.  I say that with the love a Star Wars fan.

If it was me that you walked in on, I would have pretended to be Jar Jar Binks and said, "meesa happy to see you", thereby turning a perfectly good Star Wars IV dream into a Star Wars I nightmare.
Gnat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gnat

i used to sleepwalk and i did some weird stuff. once i tried turning off a light switch in the air

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deadmonkeys

I don't sleepwalk or any of that stuff, but one of my buddies sleeptalks, and apparently he says some pretty incriminating things.
(He refuses to go camping or share a room/apartment with ANYONE because of  this)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
DeadMonkeys said:
"I don't sleepwalk or any of that stuff, but one of my buddies sleeptalks, and apparently he says some pretty incriminating things. (He refuses to go camping or share a room/apartment with ANYONE because of  this)"
Oh man, that one I can relate to.  I have been known to have complete conversations in my sleep.  Worse was my arse of a brother who would ask me where my money was, and I told him - whilst asleep, no memory.  

Plus, I will keep this one extremely brief, no detail - I have always had sleep sex.  Apparently it isn't that uncommon.  It is a weird experience to wake up in the middle of it.  Good lord, now that's sharing :)
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArchScabby

man, I always sleep walk.  I usually end up going up to someone in my family who is awake and saying something stupid that makes no sense.  Like just last week my sister was getting ready in the morning so I knocked on her door and asked her to turn down her loud music because it was waking me up, but she wasn't even playing any music.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_

Nobody in my family really sleepwalks. I think I had two episodes of sleepwalking when I was younger that still make great family stories, much to my chagrin. One is that apparently, when I was about 4, I got out of bed at around 10:30 PM, took a dump on my floor, and went to sleep. Then, when I was six, I apparently walked downstairs, grabbed a few throw pillows, carried them upstairs, did several bellyflops on my bed (that's how my mother describes the sound) and went to sleep. I still have those throw pillows in my room to this day though.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
Jayge said:
"Nobody in my family really sleepwalks. I think I had two episodes of sleepwalking when I was younger that still make great family stories, much to my chagrin. One is that apparently, when I was about 4, I got out of bed at around 10:30 PM, took a dump on my floor, and went to sleep. 
Man, my friend got fired for just urine!  At the very least, for the smell alone, they should have put you up for adoption!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jayge_
oldschool said:
"Jayge said:
"Nobody in my family really sleepwalks. I think I had two episodes of sleepwalking when I was younger that still make great family stories, much to my chagrin. One is that apparently, when I was about 4, I got out of bed at around 10:30 PM, took a dump on my floor, and went to sleep. 
Man, my friend got fired for just urine!  At the very least, for the smell alone, they should have put you up for adoption!
"
All in all, I think that was a relatively minor incident in my long resume of escapades.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

I don't think I've ever sleepwalked, but people tell me I grunt and sometimes talk when I sleep.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Optiow

Man that must have freaked you out, seeing your kid on the ground.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
Optiow said:
"Man that must have freaked you out, seeing your kid on the ground."
Seriuosly dude, that is one scare you never want.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teh_destroyer

I haven't experienced sleepwalking before,thank god.But when my 2 sisters where younger they would have "conversations" with each other in there sleep.Creepy I would say!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
teh_destroyer said:
"I haven't experienced sleepwalking before,thank god.But when my 2 sisters where younger they would have "conversations" with each other in there sleep.Creepy I would say!"
Did they go on to star in The Shinning?  At least did they ask you to come and play with them?

I wonder what evil they were plotting in their subconscious minds?
SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SSbabel

So you informed on your fellow work mate and got him fired, poor form.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SSbabel

So you informed on your fellow work mate and got him fired, poor form.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
SSbabel said:
"So you informed on your fellow work mate and got him fired, poor form."
Ummm, excuse me?  Did you not read the "damage to the hotel suite" part?  He told them he would pay for the damage and they decided to complain to the company anyway.   I went out of my way to defend and support him.  That comment was poor form.
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HazBazz
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool

Awesome video.  I wonder what the poor dog was running from?

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Stevokenevo

I dont sleepwalk but i do sleeptalk.  The worst was possibly when i apparently said my ex-girlfriends name and my girlfriend heard me.....that was not a good way to start the day!

Last night something weird happened to me aswell, although this is more general sleep related.  I got the bus home from a club at 3 in the morning, fell asleep on the bus almost immediately and then woke up an hour later about 8 seconds before my stop.... very surreal.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Quadrifoglio

I remember when I was in like 6th grade, I got up, walked out of the frontdoor, took a piss in the bushes and walked back to my bed.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Tiwi

I have never actually sleep walked, but i have passed out while standing up.
my family and I where cleaning out our wharf and boat. after 3 hours i was so tired i practically passed out.
While i was out I started to walk off the wharf, saying " That pumpkin is mine!".
I fell of into the sea and woke up, confused like hell.
now i sit down when I'm tired

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldschool

Fair enough, the pumpkin probably was yours.  Lucky you weren't working next to a cliff top!