#1 Posted by Zelyre (1900 posts) -

In China. Is someone over there a Dan fan?

They're not Oreos, they're Jif Jaffs, but are made by Nabisco. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for them when I go go the grocery store of my people. Might have to mailbag them if someone doesn't beat me to the punch.

No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by MATATAT (1225 posts) -

Daniel... what have you done?

#3 Posted by Marcsman (3823 posts) -

No just no

#4 Edited by oldenglishc (1545 posts) -

China don't care.

#5 Posted by Casepb (674 posts) -

That just sounds all kinds of nasty. The fake chocolate taste of Oreo is bad enough to me. I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that awful flavor mixed with fake cheese product tastes. I'm just guessing the cheese is fake because the oreo is.

#6 Posted by ichthy (1366 posts) -

Asian snacks have some weird flavours. I've tried shit like cola and ice-cream flavoured potato chips. They are not good.

#7 Edited by ShaggE (9261 posts) -

I'm willing to try cheese-dipped Oreos a la Ryckert. I'm not so willing to try "cheese" "Oreos", however.

However, Jif Jaffs apparently are rolling out a chili flavor as well, and I'd be down for trying that if they did an Oreo version. Spicy chocolate is one of nature's greatest gifts.

#8 Posted by LittleWask (115 posts) -

Well, as long as it's seductive, sign me up.

#9 Posted by berniesbc (250 posts) -

If these show up in one of my local Asian grocery stores, I will 100% buy them.

#10 Posted by xanadu (2037 posts) -

More proof that this is truly Dan's world and were just the poor smucks who live in it.

#11 Edited by nutter (2110 posts) -

@casepb: I dunno...I eat 90% on the straight and narrow these days, but I’ll have an oreo once in a great while (I have kids, so we get some fake food in the house) and I think they’re pretty tasty.

These cheese oreos can screw right the hell off, though...

#12 Posted by OurSin_360 (6156 posts) -

I would have guessed japan...

#13 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

This is it. The beginning of the end. God help us all.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
#14 Edited by alwaysbebombing (2700 posts) -

Where did humanity go so wrong?

#15 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

Im sure they made it taste good otherwise they wouldnt bother selling it. But still, naw.

Cheese and crackers is at least as good, if not cheaper. Plus you wont get all the garbage companies put in their food.

#16 Posted by SSully (5631 posts) -

I sweat to God, Dan is going to lead to the end of humanity.

#17 Edited by ripelivejam (13161 posts) -

It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

All will be subsumed in a sea of LCL (Loose Cheese Liquid)

#18 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7536 posts) -
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Give me a sack of Cheddar Goldfish Crackers or better yet...Planter's cheez balls from the 1980s!

JMO: Jax (Bachman) are better than Cheetos (Frito-Lay). Both good, but I like the soft crunch of Jax and not the hard snap of a Cheeto.

#19 Posted by Humanity (18717 posts) -

Not like this..

#20 Posted by Zelyre (1900 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: Those planters cheese balls were the best. Every time my mom let me get those at the grocery store, it was like... no, it was better than Christmas morning. Once you were done snacking on delicious salty, crunchy treats, you had a can you could throw your GI Joes in. Before dumping slime all over them.

There's a Youtube video that shows they're still available. In the Middle East.

#21 Posted by berfunkle (179 posts) -

You people have never heard about cheese cake before?

#22 Posted by LittleWask (115 posts) -

That comparison would only be relevant if you were willing to put a slice of cheesecake on your mayo and roast beef sandwich.

#23 Posted by berfunkle (179 posts) -

@littlewask: Not true. I've had cheese cake with an oreo cookie crust before. Also, they don't specify what kind of cheese they're using, if any.

I mean, if they're using Velveeta, then, ya, nasty.

#24 Posted by LittleWask (115 posts) -
#25 Edited by Zelyre (1900 posts) -

@littlewask said:
@berfunkle said:

That comparison would only be relevant if you were willing to put a slice of cheesecake on your mayo and roast beef sandwich.

Yeah. I mean, if it were cream cheese, which is what you use for cheesecake, I'd be down. Heck, I'd dunk oreos in cream cheese right now if I had them.

But the cartoon oreo guy is lifting what looks to be a hard cheese like swiss that's as orange as cheddar.

Also, given that cheese isn't really a thing in China (At least when I was last there 30 years ago gah, I'm old.) I'm surprised that this is a thing and that the flavor will be anything but an abomination.

Edit: So apparently cheese is now the next big thing there. So, this... makes sense?

#26 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7536 posts) -

@berfunkle said:

Or, maybe if you took cheesecake and deep fried it in batter then covered in Cheeto dust. ...Which I will assume, Dan will tell me is a Kansas tradition.

#27 Posted by LittleWask (115 posts) -

@zelyre said:

Edit: So apparently cheese is now the next big thing there. So, this... makes sense?

This is interesting to me! One thing I always notice about Chinese food is the absence of cheese with any of their food. Granted, I'm eating Chinese food primarily at buffets in Washington State, so I'm not putting a ton of stock into the authenticity of the offerings, but I did still find it noteworthy. What makes you say that cheese is the next big thing there? I'm interested to see if that has any influence on their dishes.

#28 Posted by Zelyre (1900 posts) -

@littlewask:In Chinese dishes (At least Cantonese/Hong Kong style, that I'm familiar with.) there is a distinct lack of dairy. A couple of reasons I can think of:

A lot of us are lactose intolerant. Like a -lot- of us. Why incorporate things into our diet that makes our stomachs hurt?

Since there's a lack of dairy, things like milk and cheese aren't horribly common or regularly consumed. It might be a chicken and egg sort of thing, as I'm fairly tolerant of dairy. I can't eat cereal in the morning or the dairy will wreck my gut, but by noon, I can do cheese burgers and by the evening, I can down a tub of ice cream. But if I were to do the ice cream in the morning, bad things happen.

You also have Chinese medicine where you don't want certain things in your body. I'm guessing moldy, chunky milk is probably on that list? I know cold water's kind of a no, no. My understanding is that cold drinks are also seen as unclean. Also, medicinally, my understanding is that hot drinks are thought to be more beneficial.

Up until the past year or two, certain cheeses were banned. The ban was lifted, so I'm sure folks are rushing to see what the big deal is. You also have a lot of poor Chinese folk who in the past decade suddenly became very well off, that coincided with a desire to be more Westernized, and you have a perfect storm for an uptick in cheese consumption.

#32 Posted by Dichemstys (3923 posts) -

@monkeyking1969: Man, those Planters cheese balls...so salty, so delicious.

#33 Posted by TheHT (15835 posts) -
#34 Edited by Zleunamme (1039 posts) -

I would be okay if it was cream cheese on the Oreos. Not that yellow processed cheese.