So does Leigh Alexander do nothing but criticize people?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#301  Edited By Shady

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Shady said:

Of course you honkies would get up in Kobe's grill. You crackers can't stand a successful black man.

Dear god I hope you're kidding. I pray humanity hasn't fallen so far.

Considering the retarded post I was directly replying to, it was definitely not for cereal.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#302  Edited By Shady

@CookieMonster said:

It doesn't matter anyway because Leigh is leaving.

What does that even mean?

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#303  Edited By RuthLoose

@TentPole said:

@RuthLoose said:

@TentPole: You should check out Former GamePRO and now Wired contributor Kat Bailey. She knows her stuff and avoids feminist flame-baiting.

Do you know if she is ever on retronauts? Because they had a guest on their show right after gamepro shut down and I have to assume it was her. I thought she was really cool but have never seen any of her actual work.

She has done quite a few guest appearances on the Retronauts podcast under Jeremy Parish and Bob Mackey's reign at 1Up.com. She recently did a Retronauts concerning the final issue of GamePRO. That was episode 32 to be exact:

In the wake of GamePro's recent closing, Retronauts host Bob Mackey brings in former staffers Kat Bailey, Will Herring, and Ray Barnholt (along with general magazine enthusiast Matt Leone) to discuss their time at this dearly departed magazine. And for all you fans of inside baseball, we also chat about the future of games journalism. It's navel-gazey!

Kat Bailey also helped with Retronauts Episodes 20 (Starfox's Legacy), Live Episode 3 (Pokemon's Mysteries), and Retronauts 69 (Metal Slug franchise). She was also a huge contributor to the Retronauts-esque podcast Active Time Babble devoted to all manner of role-playing games new and old before she left to join GamePRO full-time in 2010-2011.

Here's her 1Up.com profile page

Twitter profile

Kat's latest Wired article

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@DevWil

@Hailinel: jaffe made it personal. he could have ignored leigh's comments. she didn't mention him or anything like that, and i don't know what blameshifting you're talking about. she's been saying on twitter that she didn't expect people to take her comment so seriously. or, in internet parlance, she doesn't seem to think that anybody-- the game's designer in particular-- would get all butthurt about it.

leigh thought a 3d model was poorly done. she (seemingly jokingly) said she wouldn't admit she worked on twisted metal.

david said she wouldn't be qualified to work on a game at all (which might be coming from a sexist place, who can say), and he criticized her profession.

and called her "alex". shrug.

at some point, we need to recognize that the world is a better place when people don't give david jaffe a pass for being a loose cannon. it's not just "jaffe being jaffe" if he can't refrain from... "being jaffe". it means he has serious problems. emotionally healthy people don't do the kinds of things he's known for.

leigh was negative too, but at least it wasn't about a person. you can extrapolate her comments to be about a group of people (the dev team or artists), but even then it's pretty abstract.

So Leigh is allowed to publically trash a game but Jaffe isn't allowed to defend his work/team? That makes sense how? I'm with you that calling her terrible names isn't right but Jaffe's response wasn't overboard or any more insulting then hers. If she's gonna throw it out there, again, PUBLICALLY, he's got every right to respond.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#305  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Drink responsibly.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By TentPole

@DevWil said:

@Hailinel: jaffe made it personal. he could have ignored leigh's comments. she didn't mention him or anything like that, and i don't know what blameshifting you're talking about. she's been saying on twitter that she didn't expect people to take her comment so seriously. or, in internet parlance, she doesn't seem to think that anybody-- the game's designer in particular-- would get all butthurt about it.

leigh thought a 3d model was poorly done. she (seemingly jokingly) said she wouldn't admit she worked on twisted metal.

david said she wouldn't be qualified to work on a game at all (which might be coming from a sexist place, who can say), and he criticized her profession.

and called her "alex". shrug.

at some point, we need to recognize that the world is a better place when people don't give david jaffe a pass for being a loose cannon. it's not just "jaffe being jaffe" if he can't refrain from... "being jaffe". it means he has serious problems. emotionally healthy people don't do the kinds of things he's known for.

leigh was negative too, but at least it wasn't about a person. you can extrapolate her comments to be about a group of people (the dev team or artists), but even then it's pretty abstract.

Are you fucking dense?

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By wickedsc3

After watching the E3 videos all I gotta say is....choo choo!!

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#309  Edited By Pinworm45

She's pretty stupid. I don't need to look at her twitter for confirmation of this fact.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#310  Edited By Slag

This whole thing is a sad moment for the gaming community.

What bothers me the most isn't the hateful comments said by the professionals on both sides, but the fact that no one has apologized for any of it (or even seems to think they were being unprofessional). No one is making out well in this.

Leigh tweeted some pretty dumb and hateful things, as a professional editor she should have retracted those comments (not just deleted the worst of them) and publicly apologized. Instead she's playing the victim card and not admitting any culpability for something she caused. Not cool at all, that makes this all the worse, especially since the aggro she's getting is all self inflicted.

Jaffe should have taken the high road, he didn't usual. If he had or had ignored Leigh's comments, this controversy would not even include him. Instead he just couldn't let it go without sinking to her level. His comments weren't as bad and are more defensible but still not right way to handle this.

and then the videogame community has overreacted as we often do. Either by throwing out misogynist insults at Leigh (her dumb comments have nothing to do with her gender) which has turned this into a gender thing, or by white knighting her. Gender should have never come up at all, if a dude said these sorts of things about Twisted Metal it would have been just as stupid and insulting.

Fail all around imho.

meh twitter fights.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#311  Edited By asurastrike

Yeah, she's a pretty detestable person.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#312  Edited By Lazyaza

Leigh Alexander being an obnoxious twat? stop the presses people a revolution has been discovered!

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#313  Edited By shiftymagician

@Slag said:

This whole thing is a sad moment for the gaming community.

What bothers me the most isn't the hateful comments said by the professionals on both sides, but the fact that no one has apologized for any of it (or even seems to think they were being unprofessional). No one is making out well in this.

Leigh tweeted some pretty dumb and hateful things, as a professional editor she should have retracted those comments (not just deleted the worst of them) and publicly apologized. Instead she's playing the victim card and not admitting any culpability for something she caused. Not cool at all, that makes this all the worse, especially since the aggro she's getting is all self inflicted.

Jaffe should have taken the high road, he didn't usual. If he had or had ignored Leigh's comments, this controversy would not even include him. Instead he just couldn't let it go without sinking to her level. His comments weren't as bad and are more defensible but still not right way to handle this.

and then the videogame community has overreacted as we often do. Either by throwing out misogynist insults at Leigh (her dumb comments have nothing to do with her gender) which has turned this into a gender thing, or by white knighting her. Gender should have never come up at all, if a dude said these sorts of things about Twisted Metal it would have been just as stupid and insulting.

Fail all around imho.

meh twitter fights.

Word. The whole situation is so easy to ignore, yet a lot of people just couldn't help themselves. Makes little sense.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By Dezztroy

@Liam_mk said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Liam_mk said:

@Mikemcn said:

She is most likely drunk, continually drunk seeing as she has been at it for hours, doesn't excuse her being a jerk.

Right after I posted after looking at her twitter I scrolled a bit down and I've come to a scientific conclusion.....

I still stand by my stance of forgive and forget, even if she did insult one of my favourite game developers in a dick way.

If only she were...

then she would challenge David Jaffe to a fight, he would win, and she'd have to surrender her title as one of the few female game journalists, and it would all be ok because it's David Jaffe and he can do that.

I wish gaming industry resolved disputes with fights instead of bickering over twitter and lawsuits. "You want DOTA 2 Valve? Look out cause Blizzard brought a shank!"

That would not end well for Blizzard. Have you seen Gabe's knife collection?

Back to the topic. Leigh is a journalist and should know better than to bring personal insults to the table. Really all there is to say about it.

And christ, can people stop calling "Sexist!" every time a man insults a woman? We don't do it the other way around, so please just stop trying to make it something it isn't.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#315  Edited By KowalskiManDown

She's a twat.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#316  Edited By buzz_killington

Something something something 775 MILLION DOLLARS... Am I right guys?

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By Arebuckle

I'm highly surprised that this thread wasn't locked ages ago.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By RazielCuts

@ProfessorEss said:

Y'know outside of her dreadful appearances on the Bombcast and the occasional thread that pops up here and there I kinda don't tend to remember she exists.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By vortextk

Bitchy ass tweets from someone I don't know or care about. I didn't get what the fuck was happening on that e3 podcast then or when I just rewatched it. If twitter were a gaming forum, I'd say something hateful of how ignorant and stupid she is and ignore her. Since it's twitter, and I ignore that piece of shit already, my work is already done. Some lame ass tweets but what are you going to do? Plenty of the GB guys are assholes to all kinds of games and companies they just keep it from getting as drunk/personal as those tweets. I still love this site, I just go out of my way to avoid a very few quicklooks/commentary because I don't feel like watching something get absolutely shit on. I don't stop and stare at car wrecks.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By Liam_mk

@Dezztroy said:

@Liam_mk said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Liam_mk said:

@Mikemcn said:

She is most likely drunk, continually drunk seeing as she has been at it for hours, doesn't excuse her being a jerk.

Right after I posted after looking at her twitter I scrolled a bit down and I've come to a scientific conclusion.....

I still stand by my stance of forgive and forget, even if she did insult one of my favourite game developers in a dick way.

If only she were...

then she would challenge David Jaffe to a fight, he would win, and she'd have to surrender her title as one of the few female game journalists, and it would all be ok because it's David Jaffe and he can do that.

I wish gaming industry resolved disputes with fights instead of bickering over twitter and lawsuits. "You want DOTA 2 Valve? Look out cause Blizzard brought a shank!"

Back to the topic. Leigh is a journalist and should know better than to bring personal insults to the table. Really all there is to say about it.

And christ, can people stop calling "Sexist!" every time a man insults a woman? We don't do it the other way around, so please just stop trying to make it something it isn't.

I don't know, Blizzard seems like a company who would keep an elite hit team for these kind of situations....

thetrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By thetrin

@Animasta said:

eh, she writes good articles on gamasutra.

not saying she's not an asshole at times, but what is the difference between saying this and then saying people at gameloft should be ashamed of working on *insert game here*??

Are you being serious? You honestly can't tell the difference?

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By shaunk

The cries of sexism are what's annoying. Because it's not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Liam_mk said:

@Dezztroy said:

@Liam_mk said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Liam_mk said:

@Mikemcn said:

If only she were...

I don't know, Blizzard seems like a company who would keep an elite hit team for these kind of situations....

Why do you think Gabe grew a beard...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MasturbatingestBear said:

The cries of Leigh Alexander are what's annoying. Because she is.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#325  Edited By musubi

Wow, this is still going on eh?

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By shaunk

@Demoskinos said:

Look what you have started.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#327  Edited By GreggD

@Demoskinos said:

Fuckin' A, dude.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#328  Edited By GreggD

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

So....I read somewhere in this thread that, at some point during a live stream of E3, Ryan told Leigh to shut up. Is there a video of this somewhere that someone can link me to? Please? I remember watching it, but I can't remember that moment.

EDIT: Just found it, don't mind me. Carry on.

EDIT 2.0: Fuck that last edit. Ryan's words were directed at another person and he jokingly said it. A link to him telling her to shut up will be appreciated.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a direct link to it, but it was something like "Brooklyn? Shut up!"

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#329  Edited By Animasta

@Game_Baron said:

I hate when talented, passionate industry people let their egos get out of hand.

why would you bump this

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it begins again

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By RazielCuts

@Animasta said:

why would you bump this

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#332  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Twisted Metal was awesome. Screw those douche bags.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#333  Edited By Milkman

oh christ...

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By EuanDewar
@EuanDewar
Oh man, I hope this is some quality Jaffe. When he gets on a tear it is fierce and often hilarious.
wow did I really used to write like this, what a fuckin nerd
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#335  Edited By FLStyle

@Game_Baron said:

I hate when talented, passionate industry people let their egos get out of hand.

If I can interrupt you going around thread by thread and leaving a pointless, generic sentence in each for just a second.

Stop.

Think about the content of the thread. Think about the context of you posting a generic sentence in a thread that features several touchy subjects. Think about the fact that this thread has been dormant for 5 months.

Now start posting something meaningful in current threads instead of inadvertently restarting a lot of arguments in a thread that should've stayed dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Christ, kill this thread with fire. End it once and for all!

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, fuck that smug twat.