So I just got robbed.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By inkerman

I've been on holiday to the US for a month, come home and basically all my computer stuff is gone. My custom PC, 2 monitors, PS3 and games, 2 speaker systems, plus peripherals. About $5000 all up. Most of my data is backed up (Dropbox is now the Jesus of apps as far as I'm concerned), and I happened to save all my movies and music onto a portable HDD that I took with me...but this is really shit.

We suspect it was one of my flatmates (I live in a sharehouse). But there isn't any proof, police report filed and they took some fingerprints and stuff, so hopefully that helps, or something turns up in a pawnshop.

Mostly I'm just frustrated. I can't even say I'm angry, it's just, I shouldn't have to deal with this shit, and now I do.

Ugh. And this is coming off an 18 hour flight.

Also guys, if you haven't already, you should right down the serial numbers of your stuff, it's the first thing the police ask for.

Bonus points for me not being insured. So fuck...

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By korwin

What kind of dickhole flatmate sells all your shit?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

Hot Damn, That Blows.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

The super sketchy kind. I live in a sharehouse, so we don't choose who we live with. Dude is even being forcibly removed tomorrow on another matter. All the others are cool, but just this one guy...

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit duder, that's rough. Hope everything turns out okay.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That fuckin blows. Do you have any kind of home insurance that'll cover that or something?

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That sucks...

I suppose if he did do this, being kicked out for something unrelated is the perfect getaway.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Get that dodgy housemate alone and ask some questions!

Also where are you? Assuming your in Australia considering the 18 hours on a plane.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Sucks dude, sucks even more if you leave with people you can't trust.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfizzy said:

Get that dodgy housemate alone and ask some questions!

Also where are you? Assuming your in Australia considering the 18 hours on a plane.

Yeah it's not really that kind of situation, since I barely know the guy, and we think he had friends helping him (one of the other roommates who I trust said he heard lots of moving and stuff a few nights ago and saw this guy going out the front door), so he probably won't have the stuff in his room, so it'd be a waste of time.

And yeah, Australia.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks. Hope you get your stuff back and they catch the asshole who did it.

Be sure to also keep an eye out on eBay and Craigslist.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fudge, duder, that sucks. I hope it works out for you. Being stole from must be a powerless feeling.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rick_Fingers

Beat the ever living shit out of him!

Don't let him just walk out, at least confront him and see if you can get him to admit to it (ideally while you have a witness and a recording device)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, that sucks. I hope you can get back some of it.

I guess, worse comes to worse, it's just something you'll have to be more careful about in the future. A crazy way to get pushed into it though...

If you suspect that it's one guy, can't you confront him? I mean, it's nuts that he's just leaving tomorrow. Maybe he's innocent, but you have to find out. Be safe about it, of course, as your life matters more than any stuff, but still. If you have your suspicions, certainly some of the other flatmates must have some inkling.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

@inkerman said:

@korwin said:

The super sketchy kind. I live in a sharehouse, so we don't choose who we live with. Dude is even being forcibly removed tomorrow on another matter. All the others are cool, but just this one guy...

Even if he's off, sounds like its time to move in with some friends!

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got robbed when I lived in Oslo, but that was in the middle of the street. Came home from a party light at night with my girlfriend, and two dodgy guys started to walk up to us. One pulled a knife and told us to give him everything.

I really didn't want to do that, so I ended up with one slash and one stab from the knife, but I managed to beat the shit out of the guy with the knife. The other one went running, but was caught by police the next day.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is, beat the shit out of your flatmate. Or don't. I don't know.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By DarthOrange

I hope the dude that stole your shit gets eaten by an alligator.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Pessh

My PS3 recently broke and I was pretty bummed, so this must really suck. Good luck getting everything sorted dude.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes. Hope they get everything sorted out, because that sucks. I guess on the bright side, at least no one was hurt.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThunderSlash

I don't see how your other flatmates can not notice that something was amiss. I hope the cops find something in all those fingerprints they took.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Why are you living with strangers?

Sinnott147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to hear about this duder, but at least you didn't lose everything.

Kinda goes to show that a few Kensington locks go a long way. Especially in a share house.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That's terrible. Real sorry that happened to you.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

Well at least you didn't loose your data. Because that can suck more then the hardware loss if you put a lot of time into it, speaking from experience. (tho at 5k losses it would have to be some serious data)

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rub all his clothes with poison ivy or flat out kill him.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine how I would feel or act in that kind of situation, but it must really suck.

I hope you manage to get your stuff back.

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

what a chump.

keep us posted on the result!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By falserelic

Funny story I had once was when I asked a friend of mine to trade in some games for me. He was in a gamestop in Canada and he left my games on the counter, and went to go look at other stuff in the shop. Next thing you know some guy comes in and snatches my games then ran off. I could never forget that day I was playing Halo 3, and my friend called and told me what happen.

I was more mad at myself if anything, but I was glad he didn't get hurt. Even though I was fucking PISSED!! but shit happens. Though my friend had his own home broken into in Canada.

Btw..sorry to hear what happen to you OP. Hopefully they catch the thieves that stole your stuff.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By aurahack

How does that much equipment go missing in a house where multiple individuals live? Perhaps I am misunderstanding the structure of the building you live in but wouldn't someone have noticed one or two dudes walking in and carrying things like a PC tower, monitor, and speakers out of the building?

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to hear that duder. Best of luck with the police.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go Liam Neeson on him.

Taken 3: The Stolen PC

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel for you, buddy =( hope they find your shit.

Nixon34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inkerman: Dude that really sucks, my brother in law was robbed by the father to my niece, so i know how frustrating it can be when you know who did it but cant do anything. hope you find it. thanks for the tip about the serial numbers.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thieving cunts, sounds like you're handling it pretty well.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's a sharehouse?

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By soldierg654342

The most personal experience I have with theft is that I had a clock radio stolen from me in my first dorm. They left my TV, laptop, PS3, 360, and all my games. Just the clock radio was taken.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

I know what it's like to get robbed. =-( Hope you get some of it back.

Here's some advice. Get yourself a security system. $50 a month isn't bad compared to what you could lose. It'll give you some peace of mind too. Also, see if your insurance offers item replacement.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aurahack said:

How does that much equipment go missing in a house where multiple individuals live? Perhaps I am misunderstanding the structure of the building you live in but wouldn't someone have noticed one or two dudes walking in and carrying things like a PC tower, monitor, and speakers out of the building?

Not at 3am. The sharehouse is literally that, a house with rooms with locked doors, then we share a kitchen and bathrooms. Welcome to Australian student accommodation.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inkerman said:

@aurahack said:

Not at 3am. The sharehouse is literally that, a house with rooms with locked doors, then we share a kitchen and bathrooms. Welcome to Australian student accommodation.

Sounds like a standard dorm. Did they pick your room lock or some shit? Do you guys lock your main door? Back when I was living in a dorm, we never locked the main door because it was a pain having to use a key everytime we come back. There were random people coming in and out all of the time, especially during the weekends where people would get wasted and do stupid shit.

Let the cops sort it out. Hope everything works out.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Find him and stomp him in the nuts.

Seriously though, that's a real shame. You end having to deal with tons of shit because someone's too greedy and too lazy to work for their own stuff.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit man, hope everything's recovered or insurance can cover it for you. Having stuff stolen is such a violating feeling. All the best

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Man I've been robbed too many times.

But this is an extra level of suck, since you know who it is and they are in your dang place even now. Hope you nail that SOB

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

It sucks and I feel horrible for you. However, the cost of renters insurance is very inexpensive compared to what was stolen. Please consider buying insurance for any rental or home you own. You'll thank me later. Best of luck.

Edit: Delicious Library 2 is invaluable for tracking items in your flat/house for insurance purposes.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That fucking sucks dude. Hopefully you get your stuff back. I guess I'll be writing down the serial number to all my stuff tomorrow.

@nixon34 said:

@inkerman: Dude that really sucks, my brother in law was robbed by the father to my niece, so i know how frustrating it can be when you know who did it but cant do anything. hope you find it. thanks for the tip about the serial numbers.

So you didn't tell your bro-in-law?

@legion_ said:

I got robbed when I lived in Oslo, but that was in the middle of the street. Came home from a party light at night with my girlfriend, and two dodgy guys started to walk up to us. One pulled a knife and told us to give him everything.

I really didn't want to do that, so I ended up with one slash and one stab from the knife, but I managed to beat the shit out of the guy with the knife. The other one went running, but was caught by police the next day.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is, beat the shit out of your flatmate. Or don't. I don't know.

Jesus.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@inkerman said:

@aurahack said:

Oh that's a sharehouse. Yeah those things are pretty normal in Europe as well. But that sucks a lot :-(

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By intro

Damn, sorry to hear that :( Couldn't imagine it.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By mutha3

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Lounge/PS3-STOLEN-Follow-these-steps-Not-always-a-lost-cause/td-p/3139968

This seems relevant to your concerns, Op. Especially this part...

If you didn't make a note of your PS3 / PSP serial number or MAC address, here are two tips:

1. If you registered it with the Playstation network, SCEA has a copy, and this can be obtained.

2. Check your routers settings, and depending on how you have it setup, you can retrieve your MAC address from one of it's menus, or within a saved ".txt" file stored on your PC. (although this varies depending on your router, the setup, etc)

Although these may not help everyone, anything that can bring you closer to the recovery of your stolen / lost property is always a good thing! Start with this:

If you registered your PS3 with SCEA (generally done under account settings and by connecting through the PSN via the XMB), then SCEA would have a copy of your serial number. You can orchestrate this through customer service, and won't take any longer then the infinite amount of time they have you "on hold". If you did not register your PS3 with SCEA (Sony), and you are certain you do not have the serial number (the original box, written down somewhere, the receipt from store where purchased, etc), then you can try one of the following methods:

Much like one of the random emails or posts in the middle, I have somewhat addressed this, but here goes:

if I lost/had stolen my PS3 right now, and unfortunately did not copy the serial number or MAC address down, I could do one of the following actions to potentially recover it (keeping in mind the serial number is great for law enforcement tracking purposes, but the MAC address is needed for SCEA tracking purposes):

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@inkerman said:

I've been on holiday to the US for a month, come home and basically all my computer stuff is gone. My custom PC, 2 monitors, PS3 and games, 2 speaker systems, plus peripherals. About $5000 all up. Most of my data is backed up (Dropbox is now the Jesus of apps as far as I'm concerned), and I happened to save all my movies and music onto a portable HDD that I took with me...but this is really shit.

We suspect it was one of my flatmates (I live in a sharehouse). But there isn't any proof, police report filed and they took some fingerprints and stuff, so hopefully that helps, or something turns up in a pawnshop.

Mostly I'm just frustrated. I can't even say I'm angry, it's just, I shouldn't have to deal with this shit, and now I do.

Ugh. And this is coming off an 18 hour flight.

Also guys, if you haven't already, you should right down the serial numbers of your stuff, it's the first thing the police ask for.

Bonus points for me not being insured. So fuck...

I'm super, super sorry to hear this. And even sorrier to hear of it from the recent thread that you made about wanting to play some old games.

:(

The most personal experience I have with theft is that I had a clock radio stolen from me in my first dorm. They left my TV, laptop, PS3, 360, and all my games. Just the clock radio was taken.

Those bastards, you loved that clock radio.